The rule of our faith – the bible, etc.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

MISSION

I.-The lack of mission in the ministers of the new pretended church leaves both them and their followers without excuse.
    II.-That the pretended reformers had no mediate mission either from the people or the Bishops.
    III.-The pretended reformers had no immediate or extraordinary mission from God.
    IV.-An answer to the two objections which are made by the supporters of the theory of immediate mission.
    V.-That the invisible church from which the innovators pretend to derive their mission is a figment, and that the true Church of Christ is visible.
    VI.-Answer to the objections made against the visibility of the Church.
    VII.-That in the Church there are good and bad, predestinate and reprobate.
    VIII.-Answer to the objections of those who would have the Church to consist of the predestinate alone.
    IX.-That the Church cannot perish.
    X.-The counter-arguments of our adversaries, and the answers thereto.
    XI.-That the Church has never been dispersed nor hidden.
    XII.-The Church cannot err.
    XIII.-The ministers have violated the authority of the Church.

Part II
    THE RULE OF FAITH

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.
    HOLY SCRIPTURE FIRST RULE OF FAITH.-THAT THE PRETENDED REFORMERS HAVE VIOLATED HOLY SCRIPTURE, THE FIRST RULE OF OUR FAITH.

I.-The Scripture is a true rule of Christian faith.
    II.-How jealous we should be of its integrity.
    III.-What are the sacred books of the Word of God.
    IV.-First violation of the Holy Scripture made by the reformers: by cutting off some of its parts.
    V.-Second violation of the Scriptures: by the rule which these reformers bring forward to distinguish this rule.
    VI.-Answer to an objection.
    VII.-How greatly the reformers have violated the integrity of the Scriptures.
    VIII.-How the majesty of the Scriptures has been violated in the interpretations and versions of the heretics.
    IX.-Of the profanations contained in the versions made into the vulgar tongue.
    X.-Of the profanation of the Scriptures through the facility they pretend there is in understanding Scripture.
    XI.-On the profanation of the Scriptures in the versified psalms used by the pretended reformers.
    XII.-Answer to objections, and conclusion of this first article.

ARTICLE II.
    THAT THE CHURCH OF THE PRETENDERS HAS VIOLATED THE ApOSTOLIC TRADITIONS, THE SECOND RULE OF OUR FAITH

I.- What is understood by Apostolic traditions.
    II.-That there are Apostolic traditions in the Church.

ARTICLE III.
    THE CHURCH: THIRD RULE OF FAITH. How THE MINISTE HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH, TJ THIRD RULE OF OUR FAITH.

I.-That we need some other rule besides the Word of God.
    IL-That the Church is an infallible guide for our faith. That the true Church is visible. Definition of the Church.
    III.-The Catholic Church is one. Mark the first. It is under one visible head, that of the protestants is not.
    IV.-Unity of the Church (continued). Of the unity of the Church in doctrine and belief. The true Church must be one in its doctrine. The Catholic Church is united in belief, the so-called reformed church is not.
    V.-Of the sanctity of the Church: second mark.
    VI. -Second mark (continued). The true Church ought to be resplendent in miracles.
    VII.-Sanctity of the Church (continued). The Catholic Church is accompanied ,vith miracles, the pretended is not.
    VIII.-Sanctity of the Church (continued). The spirit of prophecy ought to be in the true Church. The Catholic Church has the spirit of prophecy, the pretended has it not.
    IX.-Sanctityof the Church (continued). The true Church must practice the perfection of the Christian life.
    X.-Sanctityof the Church (continued). The perfection of the evangelic life is practised in our Church; in the pretended it is despised and given up.
    XI.-Of the universality or catholicity of the Church: third mark.
    XII-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church must be ancient. The Catholic Church is most ancient, the pretended quite new.
    XIII.-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church must be perpetual. Ours is perpetual, the pretended is not. XIV.-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church ought to be universal in place and persons. The Catholic Church is thus universal, the pretended is not.
    XV.-Catholicity of the Chur(continued). The true Church must be fruitful. The Catholic Church is fruitful, the pretended barren. XVI.-That the Church is Apostolic: fourth mark.

ARTICLE IV.
    THAT THE MINISTERS HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY COUNCILS, THE FOURTH RULE OF OUR FAITH.

I.-Of the qualities of a true CounciL
    1I.-How holy and sacred is the authority of universal Councils.
    iII.-How the ministers have despised and violated the authority of Councils.

ARTICLE V.
    THAT THE MINISTERS HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY THE ANCIENT FATHERS OF THE CHURCH, FIFTH RULE OUR FAITH.

I-The authority of the ancient Fathers is venerable.

ARTICLE VI.
    THE AUTHORITY OF THE POPE, THE SIXTH RULE OF FAITH.

I-First and second proofs. Of the first promise made to S. Peter: Upon this rock I will build my Church.
    II-Resolution of a difficulty.
    III.- Third proof. Of the second promise made to S. Peter: And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.
    IV.-Fourth proof. Of the third promise made to S. Peter: I have prayed for thee, Etc.
    V.-Fifth proof. The fillfilment of these promises: Feed my sheep.
    VI-Sixth proof. From the order in which the Evangelists name the Apostles.
    VII.-Seventh proof. Of some other marks which are scattered throughout the Scriptures of the primacy of S. Peter. VIII.-Testimonies of the Church to this fact.
    IX-That S. Peter has had successors in the vicar-generalship of Our Lord. The conditions required for succeeding him.
    X.-That the Bishop of Rome is true successor of S. Peter and head of the militant Church.
    XI.-Short description of the life of S. Peter, and of the institution of his first successors.
    XII.-Confirmation of all the above by the titles which antiquity has given to the Pope.
    XIlI.-In how great esteem the authority of the Pope ought to be held.
    XIV.-How the ministers have violated this authority.

ARTICLE VII.
    MIRACLES: THE SEVENTH RULE OF FAITH.

I.-How important miracles are for confirnrlng our faith.
    II.-How greatly the ministers have violated the faith due to the testimony of miracles.

ARTICLE VIII.
    HARMONY OF FAITH AND REASON: EIGHTH RULE OF FAITH.

I.-That the teaching of the pretended reformers contradicts reason.
    II.-That the analogy of the faith cannot serve as a rule to the ministers to establish their doctrine.
    III.-Conclusion of the whole of this second part by a short enumeration of many excellences which are in the Catholic doctrine as compared with the opinion of the heretics of our age.

PART III
    CHURCH DOCTRINES AND INSTITUTIONS

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.
    OF THE SACRAMENTS.

I.-Of the name of Sacrament.
    II.-Of the form of the Sacraments.
    III.-Of the intention required in the administration of the Sacraments.

ARTICLE II.
    PURGATORY.

INTRODUCTION

I.-Of the name of Purgatory.
    II.-Of those who have denied Purgatory, and of the means of proving it.
    III.-Of some passages of the Scripture in which mention is made of a purgation after this life, and of a time and a place for it.
    IV.-Of another passage out of the New Testament to this effect.
    V.-Of some other passages by which prayer, alms-deeds, and holy actions for the departed are authorised.
    VI.-Of certain other places of Scripture by which we prove that some sins can be pardoned in the other world.
    VII.-Of some other places from which, by various consequences, is deduced the truth of Purgatory.
    VIII.-Of the Councils which have received Purgatory as an article of faith.
    IX-Of the testimony of the ancient Fathers to the truth of Purgatory.
    X.-Of two principal reasons, and of the testimonies of outsiders in fav
    our of Purgatory.

St. Francis de Sales, doctor of the church, was a powerful voice for the conversion of many Protestants back to the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic church. He did this using solely faith and reason. His logic and appeal to history and scripture is impeccable.

You can read some of it here:

http://www.catholictradition.org/Classics/catholic-controversy.htm

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Rituals and sacraments can never magically substitute for faith and obedience.

Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 04 2009,06:33)
    MISSION

I.-The lack of mission in the ministers of the new pretended church leaves both them and their followers without excuse.
    II.-That the pretended reformers had no mediate mission either from the people or the Bishops.
    III.-The pretended reformers had no immediate or extraordinary mission from God.
    IV.-An answer to the two objections which are made by the supporters of the theory of immediate mission.
    V.-That the invisible church from which the innovators pretend to derive their mission is a figment, and that the true Church of Christ is visible.
    VIII.-Answer to the objections of those who would have the Church to consist of the predestinate alone.

Part II
    THE RULE OF FAITH

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.
    HOLY SCRIPTURE FIRST RULE OF FAITH.-THAT THE PRETENDED REFORMERS HAVE VIOLATED HOLY SCRIPTURE, THE FIRST RULE OF OUR FAITH.

IV.-First violation of the Holy Scripture made by the reformers: by cutting off some of its parts.
    V.-Second violation of the Scriptures: by the rule which these reformers bring forward to distinguish this rule.
    VIII.-How the majesty of the Scriptures has been violated in the interpretations and versions of the heretics.
    X.-Of the profanation of the Scriptures through the facility they pretend there is in understanding Scripture.
    XI.-On the profanation of the Scriptures in the versified psalms used by the pretended reformers.

ARTICLE II.
    THAT THE CHURCH OF THE PRETENDERS HAS VIOLATED THE ApOSTOLIC TRADITIONS, THE SECOND RULE OF OUR FAITH

ARTICLE III.
    THE CHURCH: THIRD RULE OF FAITH. How THE MINISTE HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY OF THE CHURCH, TJ THIRD RULE OF OUR FAITH.

IL-That the Church is an infallible guide for our faith. That the true Church is visible. Definition of the Church.
    III.-The Catholic Church is one. Mark the first. It is under one visible head, that of the protestants is not.
    IV.-Unity of the Church (continued). Of the unity of the Church in doctrine and belief. The true Church must be one in its doctrine. The Catholic Church is united in belief, the so-called reformed church is not.
    VI. -Second mark (continued). The true Church ought to be resplendent in miracles.
    VII.-Sanctity of the Church (continued). The Catholic Church is accompanied ,vith miracles, the pretended is not.
    VIII.-Sanctity of the Church (continued). The spirit of prophecy ought to be in the true Church. The Catholic Church has the spirit of prophecy, the pretended has it not.
    IX.-Sanctityof the Church (continued). The true Church must practice the perfection of the Christian life.
    X.-Sanctityof the Church (continued). The perfection of the evangelic life is practised in our Church; in the pretended it is despised and given up.
    XII-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church must be ancient. The Catholic Church is most ancient, the pretended quite new.
    XIII.-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church must be perpetual. Ours is perpetual, the pretended is not. XIV.-Catholicity of the Church (continued). The true Church ought to be universal in place and persons. The Catholic Church is thus universal, the pretended is not.
    XV.-Catholicity of the Chur(continued). The true Church must be fruitful. The Catholic Church is fruitful, the pretended barren. XVI.-That the Church is Apostolic: fourth mark.

ARTICLE IV.
    THAT THE MINISTERS HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY COUNCILS, THE FOURTH RULE OF OUR FAITH.

ARTICLE V.
    THAT THE MINISTERS HAVE VIOLATED THE AUTHORITY THE ANCIENT FATHERS OF THE CHURCH, FIFTH RULE OUR FAITH.

ARTICLE VI.

I-First and second proofs. Of the first promise made to S. Peter: Upon this rock I will build my Church.
    III.- Third proof. Of the second promise made to S. Peter: And I will give thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven.
    IV.-Fourth proof. Of the third promise made to S. Peter: I have prayed for thee, Etc.
    VII.-Seventh proof. Of some other marks which are scattered throughout the Scriptures of the primacy of S. Peter. VIII.-Testimonies of the Church to this fact.
    IX-That S. Peter has had successors in the vicar-generalship of Our Lord. The conditions required for succeeding him.
    X.-That the Bishop of Rome is true successor of S. Peter and head of the militant Church.
    XI.-Short description of the life of S. Peter, and of the institution of his first successors.
    XII.-Confirmation of all the above by the titles which antiquity has given to the Pope.

ARTICLE VII.

II.-How greatly the ministers have violated the faith due to the testimony of miracles.

ARTICLE VIII.

II.-That the analogy of the faith cannot serve as a rule to the ministers to establish their doctrine.
    III.-Conclusion of the whole of this second part by a short enumeration of many excellences which are in the Catholic doctrine as compared with the opinion of the heretics of our age.

PART III

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.
    OF THE SACRAMENTS.

ARTICLE II.
    PURGATORY.

INTRODUCTION

III.-Of some passages of the Scripture in which mention is made of a purgation after this life, and of a time and a place for it.
    V.-Of some other passages by which prayer, alms-deeds, and holy actions for the departed are authorised.
    VI.-Of certain other places of Scripture by which we prove that some sins can be pardoned in the other world.
    VII.-Of some other places from which, by various consequences, is deduced the truth
    of Purgatory.
    X.-Of two principal reasons, and of the testimonies of outsiders in favour of Purgatory.

Hi CA:

The “One True Church” is every born again believer who is abiding in the doctrine of Christ.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

Col 1:19 ¶ For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fulness dwell;

Col 1:20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, , whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.

Col 1:21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled

Col 1:22 In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

Col 1:24 ¶ Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Cindy
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 04 2009,15:03)

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 04 2009,06:33)
    MISSION

Part II
    THE RULE OF FAITH

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.

ARTICLE II.

ARTICLE III.

ARTICLE IV.

ARTICLE V.

ARTICLE VI.

ARTICLE VII.

ARTICLE VIII.

PART III

INTRODUCTION

ARTICLE I.
    OF THE SACRAMENTS.

ARTICLE II.
    PURGATORY.

INTRODUCTION

V.-Of some other passages by which prayer, alms-deeds, and holy actions for the departe
    d are authorised.
    VII.-Of some other places from which, by various consequences, is deduced the truth of Purgatory.
    X.-Of two principal reasons, and of the testimonies of outsiders in favour of Purgatory.

Hi CA:

The “One True Church” is every born again believer who is abiding in the doctrine of Christ.

Col 1:18   And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.  

Col 1:19 ¶ For it pleased [the Father] that in him should all fulness dwell;  

Col 1:20   And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, , whether [they be] things in earth, or things in heaven.  

Col 1:21   And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in [your] mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled  

Col 1:22   In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:  

Col 1:23   If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;  

Col 1:24 ¶ Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church

Love in Christ,
    Marty

With that I agree a 100%
    Peace and Love Irene

Marty,

This thread is dedicated to this work by St. Francis de Sales. Did you read it?

If so, what do you think of what he said regarding the visibility of the church?

Please consider the following:

CHAPTER V.
    THAT THE INVISIBLE CHURCH FROM WHICH THE INNOVATORS PRETEND TO DERIVE THEIR MISSION IS A FIGMENT; AND THAT THE TRUE CHURCH OF CHRIST IS VISIBLE.

OUR adversaries, clearly perceiving that by this touchstone their doctrine would be recognised as of base gold, try by all means to turn us from that invincible proof which we find in the marks of the true Church. And therefore they would maintain that the Church is invisible and unperceivable. I consider that this is the extreme of absurdity, and that immediately beyond this abide frenzy and madness. I speak of the militant Church of which the Scripture has left us testimony, not of that which men put forward. Now, in all the Scripture it will never be found that the Church is taken for an invisible assembly. Here are our reasons.

(1.) Our Lord and Master sends us to the Church in our difficulties and variances (Matt. xviii. 16, 17). S. Paul teaches how we ought to behave in it (1 Tim. iii 15); he called together the ancients of the Church militant (Acts xx. 17); he shows them that they are placed by the Holy Ghost (Ibid. 28); he is sent by the Church, with S. Barnabas (Ibid. xiii. 1, 3); he is received by the Church (Ibid. xv. 4); he confirmed the churches (Ibid. 41); he ordained for them priests in every church (Ibid. xiv. 22); he assembled the church (Ibid. 26); he saluted the church at Cæsarea (Ibid. xviii. 22); he persecuted the Church (Gal. i. 13). How can all this be understood of an invisible Church? Where should one seek it to lay complaints before it, to converse in it, to rule it? When it sent S. Paul, and received him, when he confirmed it, ordained priests in it, assembled it, saluted it, persecuted it—-was this in figure or in faith only, and in spirit? I am sure that everybody must see that these were visible and perceptible acts on both sides. And when he wrote to it, did he address himself to some invisible chimera?

(2.) What will be said about the Prophets, who represent the Church to us as not only visible, but quite distinct, illustrious, manifest, magnificent? They depict it as a queen in golden borders clothed round about with varieties (Ps. xliv. 14, 15); as a mountain (Isa. ii. 2); as a sun (Ps. lxxxviii.); as a full moon; as the rainbow, a faithful and certain witness of the favour of God towards men, who are all of the posterity of Noe: such is the signification of this Psalm in our version: Et thronus ejus sicut sol in conspectu meo, et sicut luna perfecta in æternum et testis in Cælo fidelis.

(3.) The Scripture everywhere testifies that she can be seen and known, yea, that she is known. Solomon, in the Canticle of Canticles (vi), speaking of the Church,—-does he not say that the daughters saw her and declared her most blessed? and then introducing the daughters, full of admiration he makes them say: Who is she that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army set in array? Is this not to declare her visible? And when he makes them call upon her thus: Return, return, O Sulamitess; return, return, that we may behold thee; and makes her answer: What shalt thou see in the Sulamitess but the companies of camps?—-is not this again to declare her visible? If one regard those admirable Canticles and pastoral representations of the loves of the celestial Bridegroom with the Church, one will see that she is throughout most visible and prominent. Isaias speaks of her thus (xxxv. 8): This shall be unto you a straight way, so that fools shall not err therein;—-must she not be displayed and easy to see, since even the simplest shall be able to guide themselves by her without fail?

(4.) The pastors and doctors of the Church are visible, therefore the Church is visible. For, I ask you, are not the pastors of the Church a part of the Church, and must not pastor and sheep know each other, must not the sheep hear the shepherd's voice and follow him, must not the good shepherd go seek his sheep that is lost, and recognise his enclosure and fold? They would indeed be a fine sort of shepherd, who could not know or see his flock. I know not whether I am to prove that the pastors of the Church are visible; things as evident are denied. S. Peter was a pastor, I suppose, since Our Lord said to him, Feed My sheep; so were the Apostles, and they were seen. I suppose that those to whom S. Paul said, Take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, over which the Holy Ghost hath placed you, to rule the Church of God;—-I suppose, say I, that they saw Him; and when like good children they fell upon the neck of this good shepherd, bathing his face with their tears, I presume that he touched, and felt, and saw them; and what makes me still more sure of it is that they were chiefly grieved at his departure for the word which he had said that they should see his face no more. And then, Zwingle, Œcolampadius, Luther, Calvin, Beza and Musculus are visible; and as to the two last many of you have seen them, and yet they are called pastors by their disciples. The pastors then are seen, and consequently the sheep also.

(5.) It is the property of the Church to carry on the true preaching of the Word of God, the true administration of the Sacraments,—-and is not all this visible? How then would you have their subject invisible?

(6.) Do we not know that the twelve patriarchs, the children of the good Jacob, were the living spring of the Church of Israel? And when their father had assembled them to bless them, they were seen and saw one another. Why do I delay on this? All sacred history testifies that the ancient synagogue was visible, and why not the Catholic Church?

(7.) As the patriarchs, fathers of the synagogue of Israel, of whom was Christ according to the flesh (Rom. ix. 5), formed the visible Church, so the Apostles with their disciples, children of the synagogue according to the flesh and spirit, gave beginning to the Catholic Church visibly, as the Psalmist says (xliv. 17): Instead of thy father, sons are born to thee; thou shalt make them princes over all the earth.

For twelve patriarchs are born to thee twelve Apostles, says Arnobius. [Arnobii (Junioris), Comm. in Ps. xliv.] Those Apostles being gathered together in Jerusalem with the little company of the disciples and the most glorious Mother of the Saviour formed the true Church,—-and of what kind? Visible without doubt, yea so visible that the Holy Spirit came to water these holy plants and seed-plots of Christianity.

(8.) How did the ancient Jews begin their course as the people of God? By circumcision, a visible sign;—-and we by Baptism, a visible sign. By whom were those of old governed? By the priests of the race of Aaron, visible men;—-we by the bishops, visible men. By whom were the ancients taught? BY the prophets and doctors, visibly;—-we by our pastors and preachers, visibly. What religious and sacred food had the ancients to eat? The paschal lamb, the manna, it is all visible;—-we have the most holy Sacrament of the Eucharist, a visible sign though of an invisible thing. By whom was the synagogue persecuted? By the Egyptians, Babylonians, Madianites, Philistines, all visible nations:—-the Church by the Pagans, Turks, Moors, Saracens, heretics;—-all is visible. Goodness of God!—-and we are still to ask whether the Church is visible! But what is the Church? An assembly of men who have flesh and bones;—-and are we to say that it is but a spirit or phantom, which seems to be visible and is so only by illusion? No, no; Why are you troubled, and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? See her hands; behold her ministers, officers, and governors: see her feet; look at her preachers how they carry her east and west, north and south. All are flesh and bones. Feel her; come as humble children to throw yourselves into the bosom of this sweet mother. Consider her throughout her whole body, entirely beautiful as she is, and you will see that she is visible; for a spiritual and invisible t
    hing hath not flesh and bones, as you see her to have (Luke ult.)

Cindy
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 04 2009,06:46)
    Hi CA,

Nick do you know that it is an abomination to God. They turn Bread and wine into the real Body of Christ so they say. The whole Mass is an abomination to God, cause they make it a Sacrifice, every time they say a Mass. Like it was not good enough that Christ died once.
    Irene

Quote (Cindy @ Sep. 05 2009,12:24)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Sep. 04 2009,06:46)
    Hi CA,

Nick do you know that it is an abomination to God.  They turn Bread and wine into the real Body of Christ so they say.  The whole Mass is an abomination to God, cause they make it a Sacrifice, every time they say a Mass.  Like it was not good enough that Christ died once.
    Irene

May you have at least enough ignorance to go with your unbelief so that God may show you great mercy, Irene.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    Faith is not based on catholicism and it's false leaders and false teachings.
    Wake up.

Participant

Hi CA:

The church of the Living God is indeed visible. Jesus stated:

Jhn 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for [so] I am.

Jhn 13:14 If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

Jhn 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Jhn 13:16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him
    Jhn 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

Jhn 13:35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another

An example: Mother Theresa or the verses of the prayer of Saint Francis of Assi:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    where there is sadness, joy;
    O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 05 2009,15:48)
    Hi CA:

The church of the Living God is indeed visible.  Jesus stated:

Jhn 13:13   Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for [so] I am.  

Jhn 13:14   If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.  

Jhn 13:15   For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.  

Jhn 13:16   Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him
    Jhn 13:34   A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.  

Jhn 13:35   By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another

An example:  Mother Theresa or the verses of the prayer of Saint Francis of Assi:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury, pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    where there is sadness, joy;
    O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty,

I didn't see this. Thank you for posting this. Those two saints are wonderful examples of the gospel lived out.

Thank you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account