The gift of tongues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ July 07 2011,23:37)

Quote (terraricca @ July 07 2011,07:27)
    all

are the gift of tongues still here today??

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. (1Cor.13:10)

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

edj

what is ;When that which is perfect is come;?

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

all

tell me how many person/s where speaking ?

as far that scriptures goes ;;;Ac 2:14 Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say.
    Ac 2:15 These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning!
    Ac 2:16 No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:
    Ac 2:17 “ ‘In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.

was Peter speaking in there tonges?

or he was speaking simultaneous all those languages?

or was it that he spoke Greek/Hebrew

and all now understand that language ?

and so no need to speak in tonges?

because Peter was now the main speaker.right?

maybe it was just and introduction that not last long ?

Pierre

david
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 08 2011,00:54)

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,01:34)

all

Pierre

If they are, that would be a miracle. 🙂

david

at the Pentecost ;Ac 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    Ac 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

I would like to bring to your attention that the apostles spoke in there language but that what the people heard was in there own language,is it not ?

Pierre

This isn't what I think was happening. But based on this one scripture, I see how that case could be made.

Acts 2:
    7Utterly amazed, they asked: “Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

What do you think of this scripture?

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
    27If any speak in(A) a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

Interpreting seems to suggest that this wasn't just happening in the minds of the listeners, but that they were indeed speaking in different tongues (languages.)

A Christian is speaking in a tongue so X (who speaks another langauge) can get the good news, but besides X, there are a few others present who speaks some other language. We are told above that this should be done “each in turn” and that unless there is an interpreter when there are others, it should not be done.
    So, if someone had the gift of tongues, it appears they could only speak in one language (or I mean one language at a time) and so interpreters would be needed for the others present if there were others present who didn't speak that same language.
    If what you suggest was true, this would not be the case.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,19:37)

Quote (terraricca @ July 08 2011,00:54)

all

Pierre

david

at the Pentecost ;Ac 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

I would like to bring to your attention that the apostles spoke in there language but that what the people heard was in there own language,is it not ?

Pierre

This isn't what I think was happening.  But based on this one scripture, I see how that case could be made.

Acts 2:
    7Utterly amazed, they asked: “Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? 9Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

What do you think of this scripture?

27If any speak in(A) a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret. 28But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.

Interpreting seems to suggest that this wasn't just happening in the minds of the listeners, but that they were indeed speaking in different tongues (languages.)

A Christian is speaking in a tongue so X (who speaks another langauge) can get the good news, but besides X, there are a few others present who speaks some other language.  We are told above that this should be done “each in turn” and that unless there is an interpreter when there are others, it should not be done.  
    So, if someone had the gift of tongues, it appears they could only speak in one language (or I mean one language at a time) and so interpreters would be needed for the others present if there were others present who didn't speak that same language.  
    If what you suggest was true, this would not be the case.

David

first question;;in act 2; was there a need of an interpreter?
    in this case all glory goes to God no men intervention,
    NO.

this speak in tongue is very different is it than the one in act 2 ;so I would not try to measure this with what happen at the Pentecost,

this would and could be useless to the point that Paul says if no one can understand so that he can interpreted keep silence

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 07 2011,08:54)

all

Pierre

david

Pierre

Pierre,
    If it were as you say, it would be called the gift of ears, not tongues :)

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ July 08 2011,22:10)

Quote (terraricca @ July 07 2011,08:54)

all

Pierre

david

Pierre

Pierre,
    If it were as you say, it would be called the gift of ears, not tongues :)

Kathi

it is tongue like in language

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Yes, I know Pierre. But you are suggesting that the supernatural ability was in the hearing and not the speaking. That's why I said that. Anyway, it was just kind of a joke.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ July 08 2011,22:45)
    Yes, I know Pierre.  But you are suggesting that the supernatural ability was in the hearing and not the speaking.  That's why I said that.  Anyway, it was just kind of a joke.

Kathi

see it this way;it is the holy spirit of god that does all the miracles and so do not depend on men,and all glory is going to God.because it is the work of God what those men are doing.

so .if it is like i understand it all glory is for God, no men as intervene,but if it is men who speak those languages then the glory is upon the men who speaks,

Pierre

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 08 2011,00:56)

all

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

When that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. (1Cor.13:10)

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

I'm use to you asking questions that 'you think' you know the answers to.
    You mean you “REALLY” don't know?

God bless
    eD j (Joshua 22:34)

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ July 08 2011,23:28)

all

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

yes i know what it means but in relation of the discussion on the tongues this i do not understand the connection you make

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 07 2011,23:54)

Yes, I know Pierre.  But you are suggesting that the supernatural ability was in the hearing and not the speaking.  That's why I said that.  Anyway, it was just kind of a joke.

Kathi

see it this way;it is the holy spirit of god that does all the miracles and so do not depend on men,and all glory is going to God.because it is the work of God what those men are doing.

so .if it is like i understand it all glory is for God, no men as intervene,but if it is men who speak those languages then the glory is upon the men who speaks,

Pierre

Pierre,
    The men know that it is not they who are speaking because they know that the language that is coming from their mouth is not known to them. They don't take credit for this but give God the credit.

Kathi

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 08 2011,17:01)

all

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

yes i know what it means but in relation of the discussion on the tongues this i do not understand the connection you make

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Tongues are, that which is done in part, being done away with when that which is perfect has come. :)

God bless

david
    Participant

Pierre,
    If it were as you say, it would be called the gift of ears, not tongues

I agree. And to make this fit, you have to say that the speaking in tongues of 1 cor 14:27,28 is some sort of completely different thing than acts 2. Yet, both are referring to speaking in a tongue.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 09 2011,01:05)

Pierre,

I agree.  And to make this fit, you have to say that the speaking in tongues of 1 cor 14:27,28 is some sort of completely different thing than acts 2.  Yet, both are referring to speaking in a tongue.

David

you do not answer the questions but read this; 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

compere now with 1cor14

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ July 09 2011,00:08)

Quote (terraricca @ July 07 2011,23:54)

Kathi

Pierre

Pierre,
    The men know that it is not they who are speaking because they know that the language that is coming from their mouth is not known to them.  They don't take credit for this but give God the credit.

Kathi

Kathi

you should read it again and see what is really transpire at the time ,

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ July 09 2011,00:52)

all

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

Tongues are, that which is done in part, being done away with when that which is perfect has come. :)

God bless

edj

now another question ;when;being done away with when that which is
    perfect has come.and so when was that ?

Pierre

thehappyman
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 09 2011,09:08)

Quote (Ed J @ July 09 2011,00:52)

all

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

Pierre

Hi Pierre,

God bless

edj

now another question ;when;being done away with when that which is  
    perfect has come.and so when was that ?

Pierre

Yeah , I would like to know that too. ????

terraricca
    Participant

Pierre,

I agree.  And to make this fit, you have to say that the speaking in tongues of 1 cor 14:27,28 is some sort of completely different thing than acts 2.  Yet, both are referring to speaking in a tongue.

David /Kathi

the miracle of the tongues

goes from the lips of one to the ears of the other,right ?

Pierre

david
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 09 2011,03:03)

Pierre,

David

you do not answer the questions but read this; 8Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?

compere now with 1cor14

Pierre

Imagine a group of 5 people who speak 5 different languages: ABCD and E.

And, you have the Christians, who now have the gift of tongues. To make it simple, let's say there are 5 Christians. (1234 and 5

And even though all 5 Christians speak their own same native language, ah, look, each one is speaking a different langauge, languages ABCD and E. Why those languages? Because those are the ones that are near by and can listen to them.

1 speaks A
    2 speaks B
    3 speaks C
    etc.

Would not one of the 5 non Christians want to ask:

“how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?”

I really don't see any contradiction when we look at things this way.
    When we look at things your way, we have to forget about the scripture that speaks of the interpretors. We have to throw that scripture away for your understanding to make sense. Do we not? Or, as you do, we have to say that that was something different somehow.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 10 2011,00:57)

Quote (terraricca @ July 09 2011,03:03)

Pierre,

David

compere now with 1cor14

Pierre

Imagine a group of 5 people who speak 5 different languages: ABCD and E.

And, you have the Christians, who now have the gift of tongues.    To make it simple, let's say there are 5 Christians. (1234 and 5

And even though all 5 Christians speak their own same native language, ah, look, each one is speaking a different langauge, languages ABCD and E.  Why those languages?  Because those are the ones that are near by and can listen to them.

1 speaks A
    2 speaks B
    3 speaks C
    etc.

Would not one of the 5 non Christians want to ask:

“how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language?”

I really don't see any contradiction when we look at things this way.
    When we look at things your way, we have to forget about the scripture that speaks of the interpretors.  We have to throw that scripture away for your understanding to make sense.  Do we not?  Or, as you do, we have to say that that was something different somehow.

David

it is a good try but not in scriptures left to many things out,

Ac 2:4 All (12)of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

so if i understand what going on is that the apostles where speaking in other tongues
    but were not talking to the people but the people who were listening to them understood in their native tongues

right ?
    i think this clarifies that

Pierre

Viewing 20 posts - 401 through 420 (of 438 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account