The cross….not the correct symbol for adoration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 236 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

David you are wanting the celebration of the resurrection day to not happen

–lu

Obviously, completely false. I'm stating that injecting paganism and false gods into Christ's resurrection is sacrilegious, and specifically something the true God condemns and hates.

David you are wanting the celebration of the resurrection day to not happen by drawing attention to the origin of the name and the role that bunnies and eggs have meant to some pagan worship. You don't ever encourage us to keep the day of celebrating the resurrection as a church body but name it something other than Easter.

I call the resurrection the “resurrection” as the Bible does. I encourage you to commemorate his death, as the Bible does: “keep doing this in remembrance of me.”–Jesus.

If the name was changed to “the Resurrection Day” would you be happy??

Happier. That would be one less pagan thing attached to Christ.

I am totally fine with not having Easter as the name, and also making the idea of the Easter bunny and coloring eggs go away but not fine with not observing the resurrection day as a church body.

It's interesting, but if you look at the Bible, it's actually his sacrificial “death” that meant so much and carried so much weight. Jesus did not command his followers to commemorate either his birth or his resurrection, but he did institute the Memorial of his sacrificial death. (Romans 5:8) Indeed, this is the only event he commanded his disciples to observe. (Luke 22:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:20-26.)

If you look through the Bible, you'll find great emphasis placed on his “death” much more so than his resurrection. I know the resurrection is a “happier” event, but his ransom death is what meant so much.

That fake goddess is nothing and it doesn't dictate what I do or don't do.

Why advertise and fight to protect “nothing”? Why defend “nothing”? If it is “nothing” let it wither away.

You seem to equate coloring and hiding eggs to temple prostitution. Good grief! I haven't seen ANY temple prostitution going on at the Christian churches that I have attended. Does that put your mind at ease?

I don't remember equating the two. Question: If it's wrong to prostitute in the temple, would you “for fun” and for your childrens fun, create decorations and symbols that promote such things? Would you attach temple prostitution to Christ? Would you attach ancient fertility worship to Christ?

Based on Pagan name: The English word, “Easter” and the German word “Ostern” are derived from the name of an ancient Pagan Goddess Eostre.

CASE CLOSED.

See, the other countries can't be accused of following pagan customs by the name they use for the Resurrection Day.

Lighten Up!

I don't remember saying the other countries were wrong. Obviously, if other countries call it the resurrection day, they “can't be accused of following pagan customs by the name they use,” only by the other ancient fertility worship customs.

Elizabeth
    Participant

The fact is, the Catholic church has adopted many pagan holidays for the simple reason that the pagans were not willing to let go of them; so they Christianized them.
    The truth is, man can not make anything holy, only God can do that.
    You can call a pagan holiday anything you want, it is still a pagan holiday.

Georg

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 20 2010,04:09)

–lu

Obviously, completely false.  I'm stating that injecting paganism and false gods into Christ's resurrection is sacrilegious, and specifically something the true God condemns and hates.

David you are wanting the celebration of the resurrection day to not happen by drawing attention to the origin of the name and the role that bunnies and eggs have meant to some pagan worship.  You don't ever encourage us to keep the day of celebrating the resurrection as a church body but name it something other than Easter.

I call the resurrection the “resurrection” as the Bible does.  I encourage you to commemorate his death, as the Bible does:  “keep doing this in remembrance of me.”–Jesus.

If the name was changed to “the Resurrection Day” would you be happy??

Happier.  That would be one less pagan thing attached to Christ.

I am totally fine with not having Easter as the name, and also making the idea of the Easter bunny and coloring eggs go away but not fine with not observing the resurrection day as a church body.

It's interesting, but if you look at the Bible, it's actually his sacrificial “death” that meant so much and carried so much weight.  Jesus did not command his followers to commemorate either his birth or his resurrection, but he did institute the Memorial of his sacrificial death. (Romans 5:8) Indeed, this is the only event he commanded his disciples to observe. (Luke 22:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:20-26.)

If you look through the Bible, you'll find great emphasis placed on his “death” much more so than his resurrection.  I know the resurrection is a “happier” event, but his ransom death is what meant so much.

That fake goddess is nothing and it doesn't dictate what I do or don't do.

Why advertise and fight to protect “nothing”?  Why defend “nothing”?  If it is “nothing” let it wither away.

You seem to equate coloring and hiding eggs to temple prostitution.  Good grief!  I haven't seen ANY temple prostitution going on at the Christian churches that I have attended.  Does that put your mind at ease?

I don't remember equating the two.  Question: If it's wrong to prostitute in the temple, would you “for fun” and for your childrens fun, create decorations and symbols that promote such things?  Would you attach temple prostitution to Christ?  Would you attach ancient fertility worship to Christ?

Based on Pagan name: The English word, “Easter” and the German word “Ostern” are derived from the name of an ancient Pagan Goddess Eostre.

CASE CLOSED.  

See, the other countries can't be accused of following pagan customs by the name they use for the Resurrection Day.

Lighten Up!

I don't remember saying the other countries were wrong.  Obviously, if other countries call it the resurrection day, they “can't be accused of following pagan customs by the name they use,” only by the other ancient fertility worship customs.

David,

I said:

–lu

you said:

Obviously, completely false.  I'm stating that injecting paganism and false gods into Christ's resurrection is sacrilegious, and specifically something the true God condemns and hates.

So, you do want the celebration of the resurrection day to happen?? You have downplayed the celebration of the resurrection day during this thread and now you want the celebration of the resurrection day to happen?  Confusing.

you said:

I call the resurrection the “resurrection” as the Bible does.  I encourage you to commemorate his death, as the Bible does:  “keep doing this in remembrance of me.”–Jesus.

People also commemorate his death by wearing a cross or displaying a cross, yet you have a fit and holler “paganism.”

t's interesting, but if you look at the Bible, it's actually his sacrificial “death” that meant so much and carried so much weight.  Jesus did not command his followers to commemorate either his birth or his resurrection, but he did institute the Memorial of his sacrificial death. (Romans 5:8) Indeed, this is the only event he commanded his disciples to observe. (Luke 22:19, 20; 1 Corinthians 11:20-26.)

You probably don't honor your parents on Mother's Day or Father's Day either, do you?  Jesus did not institute the celebration so you don't either…right?

f you look through the Bible, you'll find great emphasis placed on his “death” much more so than his resurrection.  I know the resurrection is a “happier” event, but his ransom death is what meant so much.

Actually both events, the death and the resurrection go hand in hand.  The death without the resurrection is not the death that we are to remember, is it?

Why advertise and fight to protect “nothing”?  Why defend “nothing”?  If it is “nothing” let it wither away.

I'm not the one “educating” people about pagan customs, you are.  I learned this from you!  You are the one “advertising.”  I am the one telling everyone not to let pagan customs dictate what to touch, to do, to taste or what not to touch, to do, or what to taste.

I said:

You seem to equate coloring and hiding eggs to temple prostitution.  Good grief!  I haven't seen ANY temple prostitution going on at the Christian churches that I have attended.  Does that put your mind at ease?

you said:

I don't remember equating the two.  Question: If it's wrong to prostitute in the temple, would you “for fun” and for your childrens fun, create decorations and symbols that promote such things?  Would you attach temple prostitution to Christ?  Would you attach ancient fertility worship to Christ?

I don't know that I have ever seen children coloring pictures of Eostre and temple prostitutes in Sunday School.  The cross, yes, they do make crafts about the cross but you have said that remembering the death is a good thing, remember?

Eggs and bunnies are not ok on the resurrection day??  Are eggs bad…no!  Are bunnies bad….no!  Is fertility bad…no!  God made eggs, God made bunnies, and God made fertility.  All that He made was very good.  It is temple prostitution and false gods/goddesses that are bad as well as the perversion of fertility.  My kids have enjoyed bunnies as pets and never were made aware of Eostre. I do not advertise pagan customs.  They are meaningless!!

CASE CLOSED.  

My post from page 10:

People, why do you speak of the pagan meanings of things when God has given us trees and land, planets and stars, days and months.  Focus on the God who made the heaven and earth and all that is in heaven and earth.  Seek first the kingdom of God and not the kingdom of darkness.  Let the Christian meaning be upon your thoughts and give no power to the pagan meaning.  Or next are you going to tell us not to gaze upon the planets and stars because their names are sometimes derived from pagan gods and goddesses, i.e. Mars and Venus for example.  And then are you going to tell us not to enjoy our days because they are also named after pagan gods and goddesses:

Sunday-the Sun god.
    Monday-after the moon goddess.
    Tuesday-after the god Tyr.
    Wednesday-after the god Odin.
    Thursday-named after the god Thor.
    Friday-after the goddess Frigga.
    Saturday-after the god Saturn.

And then don't even think of stepping foot into Athens, GA or Athens, TN or Athens, Greece, etc. since they get their name from Athena, a Greek goddess. Heaven forbid that you attend church in one of these areas…oh my!!!  Of course I am being sarcastic.  God made the land…let your focus dwell on Him and do not give power to pagan meanings.  Pagan gods are nothing…no power…unless you give it to them.  Get rid of pagan focus.  If your focus is on the paganism you make them idols.  Let your focus be on God.

So, David, you don't call Mars, 'Mars' nor Venus, 'Venus', either??

Case closed!

Look beyond the name to find the intent.  Look beyond the words to find the spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi LU,
    To carnal men the resurrection is not a cause for celebration but rather weeping.
    Unless they respond to the message it may open for them the door to the second death.

Quote (Elizabeth @ April 20 2010,15:11)

Quote (princess of the king @ April 20 2010,08:12)

Quote (Elizabeth @ April 20 2010,04:13)

Quote (princess of the king @ April 19 2010,00:10)

They are trinitarian churches doing this, btw.

This is a vain statement. One that boasts. So, if one does these things w/o having the trinity attached to them, this establishment or individual is wrong or not doing enough.

God is and will always be at work within the organized church, refining her.

Organized church means the government is involved with the church.

Charity comes in all shapes and sizes, does not matter. Just because triads want the world to see what they are doing does not make it right. Charity is not what you make it to be.

Maybe some need additional o2, the air up their gets kinda thin.

Unfortunately some don't want to understand about what the trinity is.  Satan is very busy these days.  He knows he only has a few years left, before He will be bound and Christ will return…The trinity doctrine is not of God, but of man.  It was again Quintus Septimus Florens Tertullian who first came up with it.  I said all of this before.  In vain do they worship believing the doctrine and commandments of man,  That is what the trinity is.  Most Churches believe in that….. Ore the believe in keeping the Sabbath which is a sign between the Children of Israel and God and not of us Gentiles….No we are not the Spiritual Israel, like some might think…..
    Irene

Irene, the triad worshipping was long before Rome established it, or before anyone place pen to paper.

I take Sabbath, do not harbor anyone who doesn't, and enjoy time with those that do.

The days of pounding my fist, or thumping the bible are put behind me, peace is what I seek, nothing more.

It is all spiritual Irene, nothing physical about it.

Take care Irene, and say hello to georg.

what are you saying, that Tertullian did not come up with it first?   The first Christians did not worship in vain ,like those do now, who believe in the trinity doctrine…  The first Christians died for their faith in God and Jesus……the truth will set you free and with it comes peace……the SABBATH IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR ANY OF US TODAY.  tread what is that.  you know we do have ABC check that you can use to spell right…..
    Peace and Love Irene

Hello Irene,

Hope all is well with you and georg.

Alexander the Great conquered many lands, Persia being one of them, in doing so, he brought back many gods with him, Mithra for example.

Repeating myself, I do not habor ill will towards anyone who does not partake in Sabbath, I enjoy the Sabbath with ones that do. Some call it a law, some love, some so it is not needed at all, I have found it is needed in my life.

I know you and Georg do not partake and are very adamant about one feeling they are under the law, again, I understand your thought on this, however you are not me, nor I you.

Triad meaning a group of three. 'Tri' being the prefix meaning three.

Thanks for the tip on the spell check, I have the feature of a dictionary and thesaurus also.

Take care of yourself Irene.

You probably don't honor your parents on Mother's Day or Father's Day either, do you?  Jesus did not institute the celebration so you don't either…right?

This is humor correct, if not I would find this to be most insulting.

So, you do want the celebration of the resurrection day to happen?? You have downplayed the celebration of the resurrection day during this thread and now you want the celebration of the resurrection day to happen?  Confusing.

So, the big question is, how have you come to the belief that resurection day is on a certain day?

Lightenup
    Participant

potk,

If the Passover is on a certain day and Christ died on Passover, He was raised three days and three nights later, which fell on the first day of the week. Three days and three nights after Passover was the resurrection day. Many Christians observe a common day in the spring to commemorate this event together as members of the body of Christ. Some choose to give power to pagan customs and let the pagan customs dictate whether or not they can celebrate with the church. Sad really!

Quote (Lightenup @ April 21 2010,13:44)
    potk,

If the Passover is on a certain day and Christ died on Passover, He was raised three days and three nights later, which fell on the first day of the week.  Three days and three nights after Passover was the resurrection day.  Many Christians observe a common day in the spring to commemorate this event together as members of the body of Christ.  Some choose to give power to pagan customs and let the pagan customs dictate whether or not they can celebrate with the church.  Sad really!

LU,

Bare with me, and please don't think me ignorant.

You begin your statement with an 'if', which shows uncertainty. Then you collaborate text, then you exercise your opinion on pagan customs. The sad really part, lost me completely.

So, do you know what day the resurrection day was on, have you studied the time, month season ect. This is not mockery in anyway, it is only wanting to know where you came about with what you state.

For you to acknowledge, that this is your church and their traditions and you adhere to such, is fine with me, I have no qualms regarding this. Just inquiring why this common day you make mention about is chosen for resurrection day.

Who chose this day, why was this day chosen.

Thanks for any help in the matter.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Princess

It was Pope Gregory XIII who changed Caesar's calendar in 1585, the reason, so that all churches would celebrate the resurrection on the same date. Although a physician from Naples proposed the new calendar, the pope got the credit.

Georg

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (princess of the king @ April 20 2010,22:10)

potk,

If the Passover is on a certain day and Christ died on Passover, He was raised three days and three nights later, which fell on the first day of the week.  Three days and three nights after Passover was the resurrection day.  Many Christians observe a common day in the spring to commemorate this event together as members of the body of Christ.  Some choose to give power to pagan customs and let the pagan customs dictate whether or not they can celebrate with the church.  Sad really!

LU,

You begin your statement with an 'if', which shows uncertainty. Then you collaborate text, then you exercise your opinion on pagan customs. The sad really part, lost me completely.

So, do you know what day the resurrection day was on, have you studied the time, month season ect. This is not mockery in anyway, it is only wanting to know where you came about with what you state.

For you to acknowledge, that this is your church and their traditions and you adhere to such, is fine with me, I have no qualms regarding this. Just inquiring why this common day you make mention about is chosen for resurrection day.

potk,

There has been some discussion regarding the date of the death and resurrection found on this thread:

https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….52;st=0

If you google the topic, you will see that some think it was a Wednesday that Jesus was crucified, I think it was a Thursday, and some think it was a Friday. Nevertheless, the first day of the week is when He arose.

This site explains how the date for Easter is determined:

http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html#Method

I hope this helps.

david
    Participant

You probably don't honor your parents on Mother's Day or Father's Day either, do you? Jesus did not institute the celebration so you don't either…right?

Would it make more sense to “honor your parents” every day? What does the Bible say about honoring your parents? hmmm. Does it say to do it one day? hmmmm.

In answer to your question, no, I don't do things just because the majority of people or popular culture does them. It would be stupid to blindly go along with the crowd. Of course there is nothing wrong with honoring your parents. But I'd say it's better to honor them every day.

I'm not the one “educating” people about pagan customs, you are. I learned this from you! You are the one “advertising.” I am the one telling everyone not to let pagan customs dictate what to touch, to do, to taste or what not to touch, to do, or what to taste.

Which is better: To be ignorant of such things and promote them regardless of where they originated?

Or,

To know the truth, and to discern how God feels about such things?

Eggs and bunnies are not ok on the resurrection day?? Are eggs bad…no! Are bunnies bad….no! Is fertility bad…no!

People always make this argument.
    It would be like us talking about temple prostitutes and me saying: “Is sex bad? No!”
    No one here has said: Eggs in themselves are bad. So your argument is false. I'm saying that adopting specific pagan customs and attaching them to Christ is what Satan wants, not God.

My kids have enjoyed bunnies as pets and never were made aware of Eostre.

LU, I'm quite certain your kids were not made aware of a lot of things. But the Bible says to become aware.

Case closed!

Not case closed. When I said “case closed” it was because you admitted that the name Easter came from a false god. To attach the name of a false god to Christ's resurrection is different than Mars or Venus. I would tend to hold Christ on a higher level then planets or days.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank you David, great reply.

Georg

JustAskin
    Participant

Hi all,

Does anyone notice also that Jesus said to commemorate his death – not once a year – but “As often as you meet”.

“Easter” (Yes, it's a pagan word) is not just for Easter, but for 'Life', literally?

Quote (Lightenup @ April 21 2010,17:51)

potk,

LU,

potk,

There has been some discussion regarding the date of the death and resurrection found on this thread:

If you google the topic, you will see that some think it was a Wednesday that Jesus was crucified, I think it was a Thursday, and some think it was a Friday.  Nevertheless, the first day of the week is when He arose.

I hope this helps.

Thanks LU. Pulled two paragraphs from the site.  

'In some years the Orthodox Easter Sunday occurs on the same day as the Western Easter Sunday.   For example, this occurred in 1990 because the Western Easter Sunday date of (Gregorian calendar) April 15, 1990 is the same as the Orthodox Easter Sunday date of (Julian calendar) April 2, 1990.   In most years, Orthodox Easter follows Western Easter by one or more weeks.'

'This was achieved in 1583 A.D. using skill and common-sense by Pope Gregory the 13th, and his astronomers and mathematicians, predominantly Lilius and Clavius, by introducing their new larger (revised) PFM Gregorian dates table.   This replaced the (original) 326 A.D. “19 PFM dates” table in the Julian calendar. '

Since you supplied the site, I am taking it this is what you agree with, yes?

One's death or birth are really no different, in a way of give and take so to speak, still pondering though, if death and life are the same, why do we not keep custom and celebrate as one's do with easter. Any insight?

Thanks again.

Quote (JustAskin @ April 22 2010,00:54)
    Hi all,

Does anyone notice also that Jesus said to commemorate his death – not once a year – but “As often as you meet”.

“Easter” (Yes, it's a pagan word) is not just for Easter, but for 'Life', literally?

When you break bread with someone, are you taking communion each time?

Elizabeth
    Participant

Princess! No matter what if you belong to a Church that teaches the trinity you are worship in vain. Unfortunately many today are doing just that. So if you belong to a Church that keeps the trinity, you are part of it…. So it matters not if you keep Easter or not you are already worship in vain…. Satan is very busy, because He knows that he only has a short time before he will be bound and Christ will return and only the truth will be taught….happy are those who are in the first resurrection on them the second death has no power. The Church Jesus will marry is spiritual and not physical……and those that belong do worship in Spirit and in Truth…..the Sabbath again was for the Children of Israel and not for us. In Galatians Paul says you foolish Galatians, because they wanted to go back to what they did before Christ came….We are under grace by Faith in Christ Jesus Ephesians 2:8-10
    The Book of Ephesians and Galatians is a Book that we all should read often…..
    Peace and Love Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (princess of the king @ April 21 2010,17:03)

Quote (Lightenup @ April 21 2010,17:51)

potk,

LU,

potk,

If you google the topic, you will see that some think it was a Wednesday that Jesus was crucified, I think it was a Thursday, and some think it was a Friday.  Nevertheless, the first day of the week is when He arose.

I hope this helps.

Thanks LU. Pulled two paragraphs from the site.  

'In some years the Orthodox Easter Sunday occurs on the same day as the Western Easter Sunday.   For example, this occurred in 1990 because the Western Easter Sunday date of (Gregorian calendar) April 15, 1990 is the same as the Orthodox Easter Sunday date of (Julian calendar) April 2, 1990.   In most years, Orthodox Easter follows Western Easter by one or more weeks.'

'This was achieved in 1583 A.D. using skill and common-sense by Pope Gregory the 13th, and his astronomers and mathematicians, predominantly Lilius and Clavius, by introducing their new larger (revised) PFM Gregorian dates table.   This replaced the (original) 326 A.D. “19 PFM dates” table in the Julian calendar. '

Since you supplied the site, I am taking it this is what you agree with, yes?

One's death or birth are really no different, in a way of give and take so to speak, still pondering though, if death and life are the same, why do we not keep custom and celebrate as one's do with easter. Any insight?

Thanks again.

potk,

I am not a scholar about all of that dating info and have not gotten any more in depth than this:

Easter Sunday is the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon (PFM) date for the year. (Paschal is pronounced “PAS-KUL”, not “pas-chal”).

From what I can tell, Passover was on the 14th day of the month of Nisan and the month began on the first hint of a crescent moon. 14 days later would give a full moon which would be when Jesus died. Hence, He rose on the first Sunday after the full moon during the first month of spring.

You asked about why we celebrate and these are my thoughts:
    When my family celebrates annually an important event like the resurrection, the birth, and holy communion (we celebrate this more often) it helps the story of the event get put into the next generation and handed down. It also helps the country learn of the event. I think it is a wonderful thing that Easter and Christmas are still found on our calendars and that we get the day off of work to celebrate them. It really helps bring awareness to Christ's birth and death. I think that the feasts of God will be celebrated by the Christians more and more for the very same reasons, to learn about the plans of God that have been fulfilled so that we can have our faith increased and also about the plans of God that are yet to come so that we know what we are looking forward to. The more Christ centered events are celebrated by Christians the better. In this way, we can be a voice crying in the wilderness, preparing the way of the Lord.

BTW, you are welcome and it is nice to see a friendlier tone from you :)

Irene,

At times women, I have a difficult time understanding what you are trying to teach, You and Georg have well established with most on this board your belief, that being said is there anything else you would like to share with us.

It seems to say the least that most threads on the board end up with the trinity being brought up, I personally, will not give it much more attention, it has become fruitless to say the least, there are other things to discuss with truth seekers other then the triad worship, otherwise unless in general converstaion.  

As stead fast as we are not to believe, they themselves are steadfast in believing. When I first heard of the trinity teachings I thought ones to be mad, then as time goes by, I still think they are mad, and I have wasted much time and devotion to something I should have not. As is such in life, time to move on do you not think and find other things to speak of yes?

I agree it is spiritual nothing physical, and I will continue with Sabbath also Irene, if you would like to hold this against me, I can live with it. I do not see me partaking in Sabbath to be a stumbling block for you and Georg.

I am sure what you call the adversary has been busy all along, I personally think the time is only the beginning, much is yet to come, we just must be prepared for the coming of it all.

I have have kept a rule of thumb regarding Paul, he is not Christ. Pauls teachings are not above Christ's teachings.

Take care Irene.

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 21 2010,02:32)

Would it make more sense to “honor your parents” every day?  What does the Bible say about honoring your parents?  hmmm.  Does it say to do it one day?   hmmmm.

In answer to your question, no, I don't do things just because the majority of people or popular culture does them.  It would be stupid to blindly go along with the crowd.  Of course there is nothing wrong with honoring your parents.  But I'd say it's better to honor them every day.

I'm not the one “educating” people about pagan customs, you are.  I learned this from you!  You are the one “advertising.”  I am the one telling everyone not to let pagan customs dictate what to touch, to do, to taste or what not to touch, to do, or what to taste.

Which is better: To be ignorant of such things and promote them regardless of where they originated?

Or,

Eggs and bunnies are not ok on the resurrection day??  Are eggs bad…no!  Are bunnies bad….no!  Is fertility bad…no!

People always make this argument.
    It would be like us talking about temple prostitutes and me saying: “Is sex bad?  No!”
    No one here has said: Eggs in themselves are bad.  So your argument is false.  I'm saying that adopting specific pagan customs and attaching them to Christ is what Satan wants, not God.

My kids have enjoyed bunnies as pets and never were made aware of Eostre.

LU, I'm quite certain your kids were not made aware of a lot of things.  But the Bible says to become aware.

Case closed!

Not case closed.  When I said “case closed” it was because you admitted that the name Easter came from a false god.  To attach the name of a false god to Christ's resurrection is different than Mars or Venus.  I would tend to hold Christ on a higher level then planets or days.

David,
    I think too big of a deal is made of the word Easter. I looked online at definitions and the definitions refer to the resurrection day and only mention that a goddess with the same name was celebrated. It also says that the root of Easter is “east.” The emphasis of the definitions are on Christ and His resurrection.

Easter \Eas”ter\ ([=e]s”t[~e]r), n. [AS. e['a]ster, e['a]stran, paschal feast, Easter; akin to G. ostern; fr. AS. E['a]stre, a goddess of light or spring, in honor of whom a festival was celebrated in April; whence this month was called in AS. E['a]sterm[=o]na[eth]. From the root of E. east. See East.]

1. An annual church festival commemorating Christ's resurrection, and occurring on Sunday, the second day after Good Friday. It corresponds to the pascha or passover of the Jews, and most nations still give it this name under the various forms of pascha, pasque, p[^a]que, or pask. [1913 Webster]

2. The day on which the festival is observed; Easter day. [1913 Webster]

Note: Easter is used either adjectively or as the first element of a compound; as, Easter day or Easter-day, Easter Sunday, Easter week, Easter gifts, Easter eggs. [1913 Webster]

Sundays by thee more glorious break, An Easter day in every week. –Keble. [1913 Webster]

Note: Easter day, on which the rest of the movable feasts depend, is always the first Sunday after the fourteenth day of the calendar moon which (fourteenth day) falls on, or next after, the 21st of March, according to the rules laid down for the construction of the calendar; so that if the fourteenth day happen on a Sunday, Easter day is the Sunday after. –Eng. Cyc. [1913 Webster]

Easter dues (Ch. of Eng.), money due to the clergy at Easter, formerly paid in communication of the tithe for personal labor and subject to exaction. For Easter dues, Easter offerings, voluntary gifts, have been substituted.

Easter egg.
    (a) A painted or colored egg used as a present at Easter.
    (b) An imitation of an egg, in sugar or some fine material, sometimes made to serve as a box for jewelry or the like, used as an Easter present. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

Easter \East”er\, v. i. (Naut.) To veer to the east; — said of the wind. –Russell. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

Regarding your comments here:

You probably don't honor your parents on Mother's Day or Father's Day either, do you? Jesus did not institute the celebration so you don't either…right?

Would it make more sense to “honor your parents” every day? What does the Bible say about honoring your parents? hmmm. Does it say to do it one day? hmmmm.

In answer to your question, no, I don't do things just because the majority of people or popular culture does them. It would be stupid to blindly go along with the crowd. Of course there is nothing wrong with honoring your parents. But I'd say it's better to honor them every day.

I do believe you are missing the intent of Father's Day and Mother's Day. It is not that one only honors their Father's and Mother's on one day of the year but to show a double portion of honor to your Father and Mother once a year and the rest of the year to honor them also.

Celebrating one's father and mother in an 'extra special way' one time a year is something that people do RIGHT! Honoring them everyday should be expected and unfortunately many don't.

I'm not the one “educating” people about pagan customs, you are. I learned this from you! You are the one “advertising.” I am the one telling everyone not to let pagan customs dictate what to touch, to do, to taste or what not to touch, to do, or what to taste.

Or,

Who promotes temple prostitution as a means of celebrating Easter? I don't know anyone. Why would I teach my kids about that?? We are to be aware of the schemes of satan, true and perhaps one of his schemes is to take away the celebration of Easter so that people wouldn't annually emphasize that Christ has indeed risen from the dead and won the victory over satan. I'm sure he hates this, also Christmas.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (princess of the king @ April 22 2010,13:17)
    Irene,

At times women, I have a difficult time understanding what you are trying to teach, You and Georg have well established with most on this board your belief, that being said is there anything else you would like to share with us.

It seems to say the least that most threads on the board end up with the trinity being brought up, I personally, will not give it much more attention, it has become fruitless to say the least, there are other things to discuss with truth seekers other then the triad worship, otherwise unless in general converstaion.  

As stead fast as we are not to believe, they themselves are steadfast in believing. When I first heard of the trinity teachings I thought ones to be mad, then as time goes by, I still think they are mad, and I have wasted much time and devotion to something I should have not. As is such in life, time to move on do you not think and find other things to speak of yes?

I agree it is spiritual nothing physical, and I will continue with Sabbath also Irene, if you would like to hold this against me, I can live with it. I do not see me partaking in Sabbath to be a stumbling block for you and Georg.

I am sure what you call the adversary has been busy all along, I personally think the time is only the beginning, much is yet to come, we just must be prepared for the coming of it all.

I have have kept a rule of thumb regarding Paul, he is not Christ. Pauls teachings are not above Christ's teachings.

Take care Irene.

Hi POK,
    Christ was in Paul.[Gal]
    Do you think his teachings are somehow less inspired than those of the Son of God?

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 236 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account