The beatitudes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Yeshua started his teaching ministry to the general public in Matthew 5 speaking of a series of groups who are “Blessed” Why did he do this?

I suggest he was highlighting those who were ready to respond to his message of salvation-the simple and honest, the sad, the sensitive and those who were searching.

He identified those people who were good soil, ploughed by John's baptism and ready to have the good seed planted.

But among the things mentioned were the attitudes they would need to continue on the Path-kindness and gentleness, faithfulness, long suffering and patience.

He was pointing along the path he would take and those following him needed to find perhaps?

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The context is that he was speaking to the disciples.

Matt 5
    “1And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:

2And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,..”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Could it be that when Christ spoke on the mountainside he was using his authority to enlarge the offering of the mercy and salvation of God to groups outside of both the New and Old Covenants?

Matt 5
    1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him,
    2and he began to teach them saying:

3″Blessed are the poor in spirit,
         for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4Blessed are those who mourn,
         for they will be comforted.
    5Blessed are the meek,
         for they will inherit the earth.
    6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
         for they will be filled.
    7Blessed are the merciful,
         for they will be shown mercy.
    8Blessed are the pure in heart,
         for they will see God.
    9Blessed are the peacemakers,
         for they will be called sons of God.
    10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
         for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

NickHassan
    Participant

topical

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi 94,
    In another thread you said
    “Yes, I believe that gospel which has been preached in the world is the only avenue whereby man can be saved.”

Scripture says Jesus is the only name UNDER HEAVEN by which men can be saved.
    God is sovereign

Mt5
    3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Rabsheka
    Participant

Greetings You People

I have often thought of these scriptures below, known as the beatitudes or supreme blisses if you like roman things, as being a definition for righteous people, but of two groups. I have numbered each blessing to better discuss them individually.

(1)3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    (2)4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    (3)5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    (4)6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    (5)7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
    (6)8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
    (7)9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.
    (8)10 Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are ye when men shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
    Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you.
    Matt 5:3-12 (ASV)

Now look at blessing 1. The reward a poor spirit (one who is lowly in character before God) receives is the Kingdom of Heaven.
    2. Comfort is the consolation for mourning deserving to All
    3. The reward for meekness but hot righteousness is (everlasting life on) the earth
    4. The reward for a strong desire for righteousness is total righteous and therefore The Kingdom
    5. Mercy is repayed to everyone by God who is merciful
    6. The pure of heart receive the Kingdom of Heaven
    7. Those who make God's peace receive the Kingdom of Heaven
    8. Those who are persecuted for their faith in Christ receive the Kingdom of Heaven

Now what I am trying to say here is that those who are meek (unaggressive) and merciful to Gods standard, but not righteous through faith, will themselves be comforted and receive mercy and be resurrected to everlasting life in the flesh at the time of the second death. Correspondingly, those who have all the attributes of being lowly before God, merciful , thirsting for righteousness, pure in heart, peacemakers and suffer persecution for their faith in Christ through the Gospel receive mercy (for they were also sinners) and are resurrected as spirits in the Kingdom of Heaven.

However, whether there are differences in station between such as Moses, Abraham, Enoch, Daniel, David as opposed to those righteous under the new covenant I yet do not know. But such as these saw it and rejoiced.

RS

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi RS,
    Certainly the mercy of God towards men is great.
    BOOKS are opened at the judgement not just one book.

Rev20
    12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    He wants all men to be saved and does not want to cast men in the fiore prepared for the devil and his angesl.

kerwin
    Participant

I tend to place the beatitude “blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled” above the rest as the fulfillment of that promise means that you have obtained all the rest. I also am convinced that you must believe that you can and and will stop sinning in this lifetime by the power of God that acts through the faith he gives you. If you so believe then you will adhere to the true gospel of King of King Jesus.

thetruth
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Jan. 25 2009,21:34)

I tend to place the beatitude “blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled” above the rest as the fulfillment of that promise means that you have obtained all the rest.   I also am convinced that you must believe that you can and and will stop sinning in this lifetime by the power of God that acts through the faith he gives you.  If you so believe then you will adhere to the true gospel of King of King Jesus.

Even though that is not what the Scriptures say. Hey Kerwin I thought you did not believe in Christ's Godhood. Why would you use one his Godly titles? Oh wait you left out the important “Lord of lords”, and it should read “King of kings”, since they are different words in the Greek, and written that way in the Scriptures. Oh well it's not like its the first time you've changed Scriptures for your purposes is it.

NickHassan
    Participant

I tend to place the beatitude “blessed are they that hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled” above the rest as the fulfillment of that promise means that you have obtained all the rest.   I also am convinced that you must believe that you can and and will stop sinning in this lifetime by the power of God that acts through the faith he gives you.  If you so believe then you will adhere to the true gospel of King of King Jesus.

Hi KW,
    Since we sin in unknown ways
    we will never know when we have stopped.

Best leave it to God.

NickHassan
    Participant

For t

terraricca
    Participant

hi Nick
    Isa 2:3 Many peoples will come and say,
    “Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
    to the house of the God of Jacob.
    He will teach us his ways,
    so that we may walk in his paths.”
    The law will go out from Zion,
    the word of the LORD from Jerusalem

i believe this is one of the forcast of Christ,hunger and thirst for righteousness are both spiritual needs
    the need to know and to understand Gods will.

NickHassan
    Participant

For the happyman

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    I believe v7 is fulfilled in the sheep and goat judgement in mt 25.
    There the merciful find mercy

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 16 2009,14:29)

Hi KW,
    Since we sin in unknown ways
    we will never know when we have stopped.

Best leave it to God.

Nick,

We stop sinning when we learn to live by the saintly spirit at all times. To sin unknowingly is, like any other sin, the fruit of the sinful nature of man.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Feb. 25 2012,22:56)
    Hi,
    I believe v7 is fulfilled in the sheep and goat judgement in mt 25.
    There the merciful find mercy

Nick,

Excellent Point!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    The meek are not a distinct group.
    All the sheep are meek

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account