Textual criticism of the bible

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

Ed J
    Participant

Hi,

I don't see how any of those are problematic.
    On the contrary, slight variances in eyewitness accounts
    only adds to the overall authenticity of the story. Because forgeries
    would certainly make sure that there is no discrepancies in any part of the story.

The man in the video left out my favorite one. Did Jesus ride into Jerusalem WITH one donkey or two?

“Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.
     And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.” (Matt 21:2-3)

“And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it,
     ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him. And if any man say unto you,
     Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.
     And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met;
     and they loose him. And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?
     And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.” (Mark 11:2-6)

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

terraricca
    Participant

I see,that his students did not read the entire scriptures ,or very few of them,

it seems to me that the speaker took notice of that even the believe the bible being the word of God they did not bother to give much attention to what is written in the scriptures ,but have an lot so say about what they think is missing in it ,

in my many readings of the scriptures i have always kept in my mine these verses ;

Dt 6:20 In the future, when your son asks you, “What is the meaning of the stipulations, decrees and laws the LORD our God has commanded you?”
    Dt 6:21 tell him: “We were slaves of Pharaoh in Egypt, but the LORD brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand.
    Dt 6:22 Before our eyes the LORD sent miraculous signs and wonders—great and terrible—upon Egypt and Pharaoh and his whole household.
    Dt 6:23 But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers.
    Dt 6:24 The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to fear the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today.
    Dt 6:25 And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness.”

Jn 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
    Jn 3:19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
    Jn 3:20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.
    Jn 3:21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”

Jn 6:65 He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.”

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ June 28 2013,22:16)
    would certainly make sure that there is no discrepancies in any part of the story.

Agreed. The gospels are eye witness accounts and they show a level of honesty in that they didn't appear to collaborate on how they saw it happen. To my mind it is stronger evidence that these things really happened.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Ed J, he did give examples where the AKJV basically faltered due to being translated from newer and consequently more altered text. New translations have the luxury of the Dead Sea Scrolls and older manuscripts. You have to admit that the AKJV is not perfect and far from it.

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

If Scripture is the Word of God there will be no disagreements but if it is inspired by God there may be non-important ones.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ June 29 2013,07:27)
    To all,

If Scripture is the Word of God there will be no disagreements but if it is inspired by God there may be non-important ones.

K

if it is the word of God or inspired by God to us ;

it would not matter ;we still have the problem of” believing in it ” this is where all starts and where all will end ,

Proclaimer
    Participant

Agreed Kerwin. Each book in the bible is different. You only have to read what each book says about itself.

The Word of the Lord to…
    Then I saw what looked like a….
    I thought it good to write an eyewitness account…

All can be inspired, but not all is automatic writing so to speak, or pure recording of a vision. You can be inspired for example to write an eye witness account, and that can be in your view and with your words. Paul even mentions that somethings he writes are straight from God, while other things are from the wisdom that he possesses. We have the words of God, the words of men, history, eye witness accounts, and inspired poetry about God. We need to take each book for what it is.

If Christians stopped claiming that the Bible is 100% dictation from God, then they wouldn't be opening themselves to ridicule as they do.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ June 29 2013,12:06)
    Ed J, he did give examples where the AKJV basically faltered due to being translated from newer and consequently more altered text. New translations have the luxury of the Dead Sea Scrolls and older manuscripts. You have to admit that the AKJV is not perfect and far from it.

Hi T8,

The Johannine comma was not in the first printing of
    the Textus Receptus, but appeared in the second printing.

You have yet to show any discrepancies between the AKJV Bible and
    any of the biblical texts found in the dead sea scrolls; do you have any?

God bless

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ June 30 2013,03:47)

Hi T8,

God bless

Hell is Gehenna or Sheol not both.
    Gehenna is the lake of fire and Sheol is the land of the shades/dead.

Sheol is thrown into Gehenna in the end times.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ June 30 2013,04:15)

Hi T8,

God bless

K

Can you point out why you give this answer of your to what edj is saying ??? I do not see the connection

david
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ June 28 2013,19:16)
    Hi,

The man in the video left out my favorite one. Did Jesus ride into Jerusalem WITH one donkey or two?

“Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.
     And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them.” (Matt 21:2-3)

“And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it,
     ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him. And if any man say unto you,
     Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.
     And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met;
     and they loose him. And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?
     And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.” (Mark 11:2-6)

God bless

This one is easy to work out. There is really no contradiction here

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2013,16:18)

Hi T8,

God bless
    Ed J

K

Can you point out why you give this answer of your to what edj is saying ??? I do not see the connection

Hi Pierre,

I believe what Kerwin is referring to is: the AKJV Bible translated two
    different Greek words into one English sounding word – “hell”

But I don't see how showing these words are different conveys any better what is being said?
    Kerwin, can you explain how making this differentiation will help our understanding?

I'm with Pierre on this one.

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 16 2013,17:25)

Quote (Ed J @ June 28 2013,19:16)
    Hi,

God bless

This one is easy to work out.  There is really no contradiction here

Hi David,

The only other “clue” I know of is the Prophecy itself:

“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee:
        he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.”  (Zech 9:9)

To me, this sounds like one Donkey – expounded upon.
    Then again, it could mean Jesus rode the younger,
    and supplies were then carried on the other.
    Then again, this is all speculation though.

Please explain how you see it. Tell us
    specifically how you believe it happened.

God bless

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2013,11:18)

Hi T8,

God bless

K

T,

Revelation 20:14
    King James Version (KJV)

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

The translators translate Hades/Sheol/Land of the dead to hell in this verse.  Gehenna being the lake of fire.

Matthew 10:28
    King James Version (KJV)

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The translators translate Gehenna/lake of fire to hell in this verse.

A confusing translation at best.

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ July 17 2013,08:17)

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2013,16:18)

Hi T8,

God bless
    Ed J

K

Hi Pierre,

I believe what Kerwin is referring to is: the AKJV Bible translated two
    different Greek words into one English sounding word – “hell”

But I don't see how showing these words are different conveys any better what is being said?
    Kerwin, can you explain how making this differentiation will help our understanding?

I'm with Pierre on this one.

God bless

Ed,

Sheol and Hades are the name of the Land of the Dead.  Tartarus is the part of the Land of the Dead the wicked such as the rich man goes to.  Paradise/Abraham's bosom is where the righteous dead go.  I do not believe it is the Eden Paradise.

Gehenna is the second death, the lake of fire.

A confusing translation that makes certain passages harder to understand.  The KJV seems to confuse the issues of the afterlife and judgement.

david
    Participant

“Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee:
    he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, AND upon a colt the foal of an ass.” (Zech 9:9)

The KJ seems to be about the only bible with the “and” in there. It doesn't seem to be in the Hebrew. That “and” does make it seem more like two.

And there of course certainly were both. (Mat 21:2). An (she)-ass and a colt with her.

Matthew 21:7:
    They brought the ass and the colt, and they put upon these their outer garments, and he seated himself upon THEM.”

Most bibles say “them,” as if he sat on both.

Matthews account mentions the two animals.

Mark, Luke and John me ton only one animal and they refer to it as both an ass and a colt.

It seems the animal Jesus road on could be identified by either term.

(There's another apparent co tradition where one bible writer says “scarlet” and another “purple.” It's just a matter of perspective. Scarlet and purple are very similar, and depending on lighting, can look the same.)

I sometimes think that in our times, riding on such animals seem so unfamiliar that anything like that is worthy of note.

Matthew added the extra detail that there was a second ass, and it seems his garments and such were thrown on both of these, but of course he only road the one. And the other three gospel writers only mentioned the one, perhaps not seeing the need to mention the second.

Adding extra detail isn't a contradiction. It's just more detail.

Two accounts of same crime:

“he picked up an orange and thre it at the man.”

“He picked up a couple of oranges and thre one at the man.”

The second is more detailed but the first focuses on what is considered more important. But they aren't contradictory.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ June 30 2013,11:47)
    Hi T8,

God bless

The Johannine comma is in the AKJV.

One mistake among many.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 21 2013,14:23)

he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, AND upon a colt the foal of an ass.”  (Zech 9:9)        

The KJ seems to be about the only bible with the “and” in there.  It doesn't seem to be in the Hebrew.  That “and” does make it seem more like two.

And there of course certainly were both. (Mat 21:2). An (she)-ass and a colt with her.

Matthew 21:7:
    They brought the ass and the colt, and they put upon these their outer garments, and he seated himself upon THEM.”

Most bibles say “them,” as if he sat on both.

Matthews account mentions the two animals.

Mark, Luke and John me ton only one animal and they refer to it as both an ass and a colt.

It seems the animal Jesus road on could be identified by either term.

(There's another apparent co tradition where one bible writer says “scarlet” and another “purple.”  It's just a matter of perspective.  Scarlet and purple are very similar, and depending on lighting, can look the same.)

I sometimes think that in our times, riding on such animals seem so unfamiliar that anything like that is worthy of note.

Matthew added the extra detail that there was a second ass, and it seems his garments and such were thrown on both of these, but of course he only road the one.  And the other three gospel writers only mentioned the one, perhaps not seeing the need to mention the second.

Adding extra detail isn't a contradiction.  It's just more detail.

Two accounts of same crime:

“he picked up an orange and thre it at the man.”

“He picked up a couple of oranges and thre one at the man.”

The second is more detailed but the first focuses on what is considered more important.  But they aren't contradictory.

Hi David,

If you believe there were two, and the “AND” also indicates
    there were two donkeys, why do you consider this a problem?

God bless

Proclaimer
    Participant

KJV Translation Errors

Here is a partial listing of King James Version translation errors:

Genesis 1:2 should read “And the earth became without form . . .” The word translated “was” is hayah, and denotes a condition different than a former condition, as in Genesis 19:26.

Genesis 10:9 should read ” . . . Nimrod the mighty hunter in place of [in opposition to] the LORD.” The word “before” is incorrect and gives the connotation that Nimrod was a good guy, which is false.

Leviticus 16:8, 10, 26 in the KJV is “scapegoat” which today has the connotation of someone who is unjustly blamed for other’s sins. The Hebrew is Azazel, which means “one removed or separated.” The Azazel goal represents Satan, who is no scapegoat. He is guilty of his part in our sins.

Deuteronomy 24:1, “then let him” should be “and he.” As the Savior explained in Matthew 19, Moses did not command divorcement. This statute is regulating the permission of divorce because of the hardness of their hearts.

II Kings 2:23, should be “young men”, not “little children.”

Isaiah 65:17 should be “I am creating [am about to create] new heavens and new earth . . .”

Ezekiel 20:25 should read “Wherefore I permitted them, or gave them over to, [false] statutes that are not good, and judgments whereby they should not live.” God’s laws are good, perfect and right. This verse shows that since Israel rejected God’s laws, He allowed them to hurt themselves by following false man made customs and laws.

Daniel 8:14 is correct in the margin, which substitutes “evening morning” for “days.” Too bad William Miller didn’t realize this.

Malachi 4:6 should read ” . . . lest I come and smite the earth with utter destruction.” “Curse” doesn’t give the proper sense here. Same word used in Zechariah 14:11.

Matthew 5:48 should be “Become ye therefore perfect” rather than “be ye therefore perfect.” “Perfect” here means “spiritually mature.” Sanctification is a process of overcoming with the aid of the Holy Spirit.

Matthew 24:22 needs an additional word to clarify the meaning. It should say “there should no flesh be saved alive.”

Matthew 27:49 omits text which was in the original. Moffatt correctly adds it, while the RSV puts it in a footnote: “And another took a spear and pierced His side, and out came water and blood.” The Savior’s death came when a soldier pierced His side, Revelation 1:7.

Matthew 28:1, “In the end of the Sabbath as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week . . .” should be translated literally, “Now late on Sabbath, as it was getting dusk toward the first day of the week . . . .” The Sabbath does not end at dawn but at dusk.

Luke 2:14 should say, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men of God’s good pleasure or choosing.” That is, there will be peace on earth among men who have God’s good will in their hearts.

Luke 14:26 has the unfortunate translation of the Greek word miseo, Strong’s #3404, as “hate”, when it should be rendered “love less by comparison.” We are not to hate our parents and family!

John 1:31, 33 should say “baptize” or “baptizing IN water” not with water. Pouring or sprinkling with water is not the scriptural method of baptism, but only thorough immersion in water.

John 1:17 is another instance of a poor preposition. “By” should be “through”: “For the law was given by [through] Moses . . . .” Moses did not proclaim his law, but God’s Law.

John 13:2 should be “And during supper” (RSV) rather than “And supper being ended” (KJV).

Acts 12:4 has the inaccurate word “Easter” which should be rendered “Passover.” The Greek word is pascha which is translated correctly as Passover in Matthew 26:2, etc.

I Corinthians 1:18 should be: “For the preaching of the cross is to them that are perishing foolishness; but unto us which are being saved it is the power of God”, rather than “perish” and “are saved.” Likewise, II Thessalonians 2:10 should be “are perishing” rather than “perish.”

I Corinthians 15:29 should be: “Else what shall they do which are baptized for the hope of the dead, if the dead rise not at all? Why are they then baptized for the hope of the dead?”

II Corinthians 6:2 should be “a day of salvation”, instead of “the day of salvation.” This is a quote from Isaiah 49:8, which is correct. The day of salvation is not the same for each individual. The firstfruits have their day of salvation during this life. The rest in the second resurrection.

I Timothy 4:8 should say, “For bodily exercise profiteth for a little time: but godliness in profitable unto all things . . .”

I Timothy 6:10 should be, “For the love of money is a [not the] root of all evil . . .”

Hebrews 4:8 should be “Joshua” rather than “Jesus”, although these two words are Hebrew and Greek equivalents.

Hebrews 4:9 should read, “There remaineth therefore a keeping of a Sabbath to the people of God.”

Hebrews 9:28 is out of proper order in the King James. It should be: “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them without sin that look for him shall he appear the second time unto salvation.”

I John 5:7-8 contains additional text which was added to the original. “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.” The italicized text was added to the original manuscripts. Most modern translations agree that this was an uninspired addition to the Latin Vulgate to support the unscriptural trinity doctrine.

Revelation 14:4 should be “a firstfruits”, because the 144,000 are not all the firstfruits.

Revelation 20:4-5 in the KJV is a little confusing until you realize that the sentence “This is the first resurrection.” in verse five refers back to “they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years” in verse four.

Revelation 20:10, “And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are [correction: should be ‘were cast’ because the beast and false prophet were mortal human beings who were burned up in the lake of fire 1,000 years previous to this time, Revelation 19:20], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” The point is that Satan will be cast into the same lake of fire into which the beast and false prophet were cast a thousand years previously.

Revelation 22:2 should be “health” rather than “healing.”

Italics: Sometimes Helpful, Sometimes Wrong

No language can be translated word for word into another language. Hebrew and Greek idioms often do not come through clearly into literal English. Thus, beginning in 1560 with the Geneva Bible, translators initiated the practice of adding italicized clarifying words to make the original language more plain. The fifty-four King James translators did the same. Often, the added italicized words do help make the meaning clearer. At other times, the translators through their doctrinal misunderstandings added errors instead.

In Psalms 81:4, “was” is totally uncalled for and not in the original Hebrew. New Moons are still a statute of God.

We have shown how in Revelation 20:10 that the italicized “are” is incorrect and that “were cast” in italics would have been more appropriate.

In Luke 3:23-38, the italicized words “the son” are not in the original Greek. Actually, Luke gives the fleshly descent of the Savior through Mary, while Matthew gives the legal descent through Joseph.

Matthew 24:24 should not have the italicized words “it were”. It IS possible for the elect to be deceived. We need to be on guard!

Romans 1:7 incorrectly has the italicized words “to be.” The fact is, Christians are now saints.

I Corinthians 7:19 needs some italicized words to make the meaning clear. It should say: “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but [the important thing is] the keeping of the commandments of God.”

Colossians 2:16-17 can be properly understood only if the KJV italicized word “is” in verse 17 is left out, as it should be. The message of these verses is: don’t let men judge you as doing wrong when you observe the holy days, new moons and Sabbaths; let the body of Christ (the Church) do the judging.

I Timothy 3:11 has “their” in italics, which is not implied in the original.

II Peter 2:5 should not have “person, a.” Noah was the eighth preacher of righteousness.

I John 2:23 has “[but] he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also” in italics. This is an addition based upon the Latin text and not in the original Greek.

Punctuation Problems

Luke 23:43 has been erroneously used by some to claim that Jesus went straight to heaven at His death. The original Greek did not have punctuation marks as we do today. The KJV states, “And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.” The comma should not be after “thee”, but “day.” The believing malefactor would be with Christ in the paradise of the redeemed when he was resurrected far into the future.

Mark 16:9 does not say that Jesus was resurrected Sunday morning. There is a missing implied comma between “risen” and “early” and there should be no comma after week as the KJV has it: “Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene . ..” Thus, it should say, “Now when Jesus was risen, early the first day of the week he appeared first to Mary Magdalene . . .”

Word Differences

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact that the 1611 AD King James English is somewhat different than today’s English language. The meaning of certain words has changed, and/or the King James sometimes uses words not familiar to most people today in their common speech. In addition, certain idioms in the original Hebrew and Greek are a little difficult to understand today. The Oxford Wide Margin KJV has excellent marginal references which often explain the correct meanings. Here is a partial listing of changed word meanings:

King James Phrase (on top)
    Modern English (on bottom)

Abraham’s bosom
    “the Kingdom of God” in which the redeemed will have an intimate relationship with father Abraham in sharing the eternal inheritance of the earth.
    adoption
    “sonship”, as in Romans 8:23, 9:4, Ephesians 1:5.
    affections
    “passions”, as in Galatians 5:24, “mind” as in Colossians 3:2.
    afflict soul
    “fast” as in Leviticus 23:27, 32 (Psalms 35:13).
    beguile
    “judge against you”, as in Colossians 2:18.
    betimes
    “early”, as in Proverbs 13:24.
    blains
    “blisters”, as in Exodus 9:9.
    bosom, in his
    “have an intimate relationship with”, as in II Samuel 12:3, 8, John 1:18.
    bruit
    “report, rumor”, as in Jeremiah 10:22, Nahum 3:19.
    charity
    “spiritual love”, as in I Corinthians 13.
    clean heart
    “right attitude”, as in Psalms 51:10, 73:1.
    communicate
    “share”, as in Hebrews 13:16.
    communications
    “associations, companionships”, as in I Corinthians 15:33.
    conversation
    “conduct”, as in Philippians 2:27, I Peter 3:1, “citizenship” as in Philippians 3:20.
    convince
    “convict”, as in Titus 1:9, James 2:9.
    corn
    “grain”, as in Leviticus 23:14, Deuteronomy 23:25.
    cover his feet
    “go to the toilet”, as in I Samuel 24:3.
    creature
    “creation”, as in Romans 8:20-21, II Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 6:15.
    cross
    “stake”
    damned
    “judged”, as in Mark 16:16.
    devils
    “demons”, as in I Timothy 4:1.
    dissimulation
    “hypocrisy”, as in Galatians 2:13.
    divers
    “different” places, persons or things as in Matthew 24:7 and Acts 19:9, Hebrews 1:1, James 1:2.
    dividing
    “expounding, dissecting”, as in II Timothy 2:15.
    doting
    “sick”, as in I Timothy 6:4.
    due benevolence
    “sexual dues”, as in I Corinthians 7:3.
    ensamples
    “examples, types”, as in I Corinthians 10:11.
    faint
    “give up” as in Luke 18:1, Galatians 6:9.
    froward
    “evil, wrong”, as in Proverbs 2:12.
    gay
    “expensive, costly”, as in James 2:3.
    Ghost
    “Holy Ghost” should be rendered “Holy Spirit.”
    glass
    “mirror”, as in I Corinthians 13:12, James 1:23.
    hardness
    “blindness” as in Mark 3:5.
    he
    In reference to the Holy Spirit, the KJV usage of “he” rather than “it” implies the false notion of the trinity. The Holy Spirit is not a separate person, but the mind of God the Father and God the Son. See John 14:16, 17, 26 and 16:7-8, 13-15.
    heart
    “attitude of mind”, as in Jeremiah 17:9.
    hell
    There are three Greek words rendered “hell” in the New Testament: gehenna, hades (equivalent of Hebrew sheol used in the Old Testament), and tartaroo. Gehenna is the lake of fire, hades is the grave and tartaroo is the abyss, the place of restraint for Satan. For English speaking people during the time of King James, “hell” [hades] was a cellar to store potatoes, not a lake of burning brimstone. In Acts 2:27, “hell” is hades, meaning the grave, while in Matthew 10: 28 and Mark 9:43-48 “hell” means the lake of fire. The only place tartaroo is used is in II Peter 2:4.
    husbandman
    “farmer, rancher”, as in James 5:7.
    iniquity
    “lawlessness”, as in Matthew 24:12.
    jealous
    “zealous”, as in II Corinthians 11:2.
    knew
    “had sexual relations with”, as in Genesis 4:1.
    leasing
    “lying”, as in Psalms 4:2, 5:6.
    letteth
    “restrains”, as in II Thessalonians 2:7.
    lusteth after
    “earnestly desires” as in Deuteronomy 14:26.
    mansions
    “offices” as in John 14:2.
    meat offering
    “meal offering”, as in Leviticus 23:13, etc.
    meet
    “fitting, proper”, Matthew 3:8, Genesis 2:18.
    mocked
    “deceived”, as in Galatians 6:7.
    morning stars
    “angels”, as in Job 38:7.
    nether
    “lower”, as in Deuteronomy 24:6.
    outlandish
    “foreign”, as in Nehemiah 13:26.
    perfect
    “spiritually mature”, as in II Timothy 3:17, or “upright or sincere” as in Genesis 17:1.
    perform
    “finish”, as in Philippians 1:6.
    him that “pisseth against the wall”
    “males”, as in II Kings 9:8, etc.
    press, the
    “the crowd”, as in Luke 19:3.
    prevent
    “precede”, Psalms 88:13, I Thessalonians 4:15.
    prophesy
    “inspired preaching”, as in I Corinthians 14.
    quicken
    “make alive”, as in Romans 8:11.
    quit
    “keep on”, as in I Corinthians 16:13.
    rain
    “teach”, as in Hosea 10:12, Isaiah 2:3.
    rentest
    “distort”, as in Jeremiah 4:30.
    requite
    “offer support for”, as in I Timothy 5:4.
    rereward
    rear guard” as in I Samuel 29:2.
    rudiments
    “elements”, as in Colossians 2:8.
    those who “seemed to be somewhat”
    “boasters”, as in Galatians 2:6.
    servant
    “slave”, as in Philippians 2:7.
    simple
    “harmless”, as in Romans 16:19.
    sincerity
    “with incorruption”, as in Ephesians 6:24.
    slept with his fathers
    “died”, as in II Kings 13:9, II Chronicles 16:12.
    sons of God
    “angels”, as in Job 1:6.
    spiritual wickedness
    “wicked spirits”, as in Ephesians 6:12.
    sprinkle
    “astonish, startle”, as in Isaiah 52:15.
    stranger
    “newcomer, new convert”, as in Deuteronomy 14:29.
    suffer
    “let, allow, permit” as in Mark 10:14, Revelation 11:9.
    tarry
    “wait”, as in Luke 24:49, I Corinthians 16:8, which is explained in Acts 1:4.
    tempted
    “tried or tested”, as in I Corinthians 10:13, James 1:13.
    tenor
    “intent or purpose”, as in Exodus 34:27.
    tongues
    “foreign languages”, Mark 16:17, I Corinthians 14.
    virtue
    “power” as in Mark 5:30.
    visage
    “appearance”, as in Isaiah 52:14.

Unjustified Additions to the KJV

Derived From Latin Vulgate, Not in Greek Text

These additions should be omitted from the KJV:

Matthew 27:35
    “that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.” This verse appears properly in John 19:24.
    John 8:9-10
    Delete: “being convicted by their own conscience . . . unto the last . . . alone . . . and saw none but the woman . . . those thine accusers.”
    The Greek properly reads: “But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left with the woman being before him. Jesus lifted himself up and said to her, ‘Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?’”
    Acts 9:5-6
    “it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him . . . .”
    Acts 10:6
    “he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do”
    Acts 10:21
    “which were sent unto him from Cornelius”
    Acts 21:8
    “that were of Paul’s company”
    Romans 13:9
    “Thou shalt not bear false witness”
    Romans 16:20
    “Amen”
    Colossians 1:14
    “through his blood”
    Hebrews 2:7
    “and didst set him over the works of thy hands”
    Hebrews 11:13
    “and were persuaded of them and embraced them”
    Hebrews 12:20
    “or with a dart shot through”
    I John 2:23
    “(but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also” is placed in italics in the KJV. The Greek Text omits this portion entirely.
    I John 5:7-8
    “in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit: and these thee are one. And there are three that bear witness in earth” As previously explained, this is not part of the original Greek text.
    Revelation 1:8
    “the beginning and the ending”
    Revelation 1:11
    “I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and . . . which are in Asia”
    Revelation 1:20
    “which thou sawest”
    Revelation 2:17
    “to eat of”
    Revelation 5:4
    “and to read”
    Revelation 5:14
    “four and twenty . . . him that lives forever and ever”
    Revelation 11:1
    “and the angel stood”
    Revelation 12:12
    “the inhabiters of”
    Revelation 14:5
    “before the throne of God”
    Revelation 15:2
    “over his mark”
    Revelation 16:7
    “another out of”
    Revelation 16:14
    “of the earth and”
    Revelation 21:3
    “and be their God”

Misplaced Verses in the KJV

In Matthew 23:13-14, the proper order is: “But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.”

Romans 16:25-27 belongs after Romans 14:23, not at the end of the book.

Items Wrongly Substituted or Left Out of the KJV,
    Should be Reinstated

Matthew 27:49
    “And another took a spear and pierced his side and out came water and blood.”
    [The Orthodox Church says this was part of the Greek Text until mistakenly deleted in 511 AD]
    Luke 9:50
    “. . . for his is not against you.”
    This verse should read: “And Jesus said to him, Forbid him not, for he is not against you. For whoever is not against you is for you.”
    Luke 10:22
    “And having turned to the disciples, he said:”
    John 1:28
    “Bethany” instead of “Bethabara”, which was a corrupt Egyptian reading.
    Acts 9:19
    Should read, “Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at the time in Damascus.”
    Acts 20:28
    Should read, ” . . . the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to feed the church of the Lord and God, which He purchased with His own blood.”
    Philippians 3:3
    Should be “serve in (the) Spirit of God” rather than “serve God in the spirit.”
    Colossians 1:6
    Should have added “and is growing” after “bringeth forth fruits.”
    Colossians 2:13
    Should read, “And you–being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh–you hath He quickened together with him, having forgiven us all the trespasses . . . “
    I Thess. 5:21
    Should read, “Despise not prophesyings, but prove all things . . . .”
    II Timothy 2:19
    “of (the) Lord” rather than “of Christ.”
    Hebrews 8:8
    “To them”, not “with them.”
    Hebrews 13:9
    “Carried away”, not “carried about.”
    James 5:12
    Should be “into hypocrisy” instead of “under judgment.”
    I Peter 2:2
    End of verse should have added: “unto salvation.”
    Revelation 2:21
    Should be ” . . . and she wills not to repent of her fornication.”
    Revelation 6:12
    Should be ” . . . and the whole moon became blood . . . .”
    Revelation 8:7
    Should be ” . . . and the third part of the land was burnt up, and the third part of the trees . . . .”
    Revelation 8:13
    “eagle” rather than “angel.”
    Revelation 11:18
    “nations” instead of “dead.”
    Revelation 12:6
    Should read, “And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she has there a place prepared of God . . . .”
    Revelation 13:5
    Should read, ” . . . and power was given it to make war forty-two months . . . .”
    Revelation 14:1
    Should read, “having His name and the name of His Father written on their foreheads…”
    Revelation 15:3
    “nations” instead of “saints.”
    Revelation 17:8
    Should read, ” . . when they behold the beast that was, and is not, and shall be present…”
    Revelation 18:17
    Should read, ” . . . everyone who sails to any place . . . ” instead of “and all the company in ships.”
    Revelation 18:20
    Should read, ” . . . ye holy saints and apostles and prophets.”
    Revelation 19:12
    Should read, ” . . . and on his head were many crowns, having names written, and a name written that no man knew . . .”
    Revelation 19:17
    Should read, ” . . . gather yourselves together unto the great supper of God . . . “, not “supper of the great God.”
    Revelation 21:24
    Should read, “And the nations shall walk by means of its light.”
    Revelation 22:19
    Should read, “tree of life” instead of “book of life.”
    Revelation 22:21
    Should close with “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with all of the saints. Amen.”

CONCLUSION

With all these admitted errors, how can anybody insist that this is the only true word of God. It is a rather closed minded and arrogant position. If you like using the KJV, by all means use it, but to insist that it is the only Bible that all English-speaking people should use is ridiculous and unfounded.

Well, for all you KJV users, start correcting your Bibles.

In Christ, Juan Baixeras.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account