Struggling with Lust

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Woutlaw
    Participant

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I’m a very open person. I don’t like to be fake or hide behind a mask. I have no problem being open about my struggles.

My biggest struggle is lust. I live in America, and men here are constantly being bombarded with sex 24/7. You can’t turn on a tv, or read the newspaper, or go out in public without seeing some half dressed chick. Many women here don’t know what modesty is.

I was wondering do any of you guys share in this struggle?

What kinda things have you done to overcome it?

seekingtruth
    Participant

I wish I could give you an answer.

When I was first saved I was delivered from lust and it was great, if a temptation was within eyesight I would turn my head and I felt by doing so I was saving her from adding to her sin (it's just what I felt at the time).

Unfortunately I was told by others that it was okay to look just don't desire (lust) and I'm sure I knew better but since then (for over 25 years) I've continued to struggle.

It is easier in the winter (less temptation) and I'll do real well for a while but I seem to always slip up. I've tried fasting, prayer, deliverance, study, (I did stop short of gouging my eyes out, still hoping for a less radical solution!!) :p

I find that avoiding places where your exposed to the temptation helps but short of locking myself in an empty room what do you do, like you said it's everywhere you turn. I've wondered at times if this is the kind of thing that Paul was referring to as a thorn in the flesh, it does work to keep one humble and trusting in the grace of God and not in the flesh.

Hopefully someone else has fared better and can pass on some wisdom.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Just to clarify my statment “I felt by doing so I was saving her from adding to her sin”.

If I lust after a women modestly attired then the sin is all mine, but if she dresses in a manner which tempts one towards lust then we will have both sinned. This is why I felt that I was not adding to her sin (of having caused someone else to sin).

Woutlaw, I believe you are to be commended for your honesty and openness. It is always hard to admit something where we believe others will think less of us, but it is those things, I believe, that make God think more of us. I also believe that the scriptures say to confess your sins one to another both for accountability and so others can pray for us, and I will be praying for you.

MrBob
    Participant

I will be praying for you. I have also struggled with lust, so you shouldn't feel alone. It's a tough fight day-to-day, but God will help us if we ask him.

What really helped me out is this truth: other women are a part of your family. (sisters/cousins, etc.) That's the way I see it. If I give all women the respect and (agape) love that I should give to my sister, there is no sin. As it is written, “love is the fulfillment of the law” (Rom. 13:10).

I was at a gathering of believers one night and was talking with someone. He told me the great advantage of celibacy. “Why should I give my love to only one person, when I can give it to everyone around me?” (something like that) What he said really helped me put things into perspective. Whether celibacy is the road or marriage is the road, loving others should be the goal.

Yes, some women don't dress modestly–but it's no excuse to lust. I used to blame others for encouraging me into my addiction. Yes, circumstances and people may lead me to sin, but it's still me that's sinning.

Anyway, I pray to our Father Yah that we all and anyone else rading this can be freed from the chains of lust and see true love. That we can be free from fear and sin, and spread your love to others. In the name of our savior and the Father's son I pray, amen.

kenrch
    Participant

I'm with all of you guys! For ten years I NEVER had a problem with lust. When I saw a beautiful wpman that's what I'd say “that is a beautiful women but now for the last ten years I can't stop!!!

It's like I told my wife does that girl know that she is sinning?
    She is making me stumble.

The problem is that we are flesh and like t8 said it's a natural thing.

May be I'm slipping (not back sliding) shouldn't we be walking in the spirit and not the flesh. You know what Paul said :
    Rom 8:6 For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:

I believe that Paul is saying that “hey you're gonna fall it's a natural thing of the flesh” When we repent it's OVER!

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me, that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me, but to do that which is good is not.
    Rom 7:19 For the good which I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I practise.
    Rom 7:20 But if what I would not, that I do, it is no more I that do it, but sin which dwelleth in me.
    Rom 7:21 I find then the law, that, to me who would do good, evil is present.
    Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
    Rom 7:23 but I see a different law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity under the law of sin which is in my members.
    Rom 7:24 Wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me out of the body of this death?
    Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then I of myself with the mind, indeed, serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Wretched MEN!

What do ya think?

kenrch
    Participant

Did you get that “… but with the flesh the law of sin”.

truebelief4u
    Participant

Quote (Woutlaw @ April 23 2006,23:49)
    Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I'm a very open person. I don't like to be fake or hide behind a mask. I have no problem being open about my struggles.

My biggest struggle is lust. I live in America, and men here are constantly being bombarded with sex 24/7. You can't turn on a tv, or read the newspaper, or go out in public without seeing some half dressed chick. Many women here don't know what modesty is.

Whew……lots of luck there!! Whether they admit it or not, I think most men have this problem! [That's the way we're hard-wired between our ears, I think.] Probably the best policy is when you find yourself drifting off in that direction do the old holler “GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN!!!!”

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (truebelief4u @ April 25 2006,22:43)

Quote (Woutlaw @ April 23 2006,23:49)
    Hi guys,

As some of you may know, I'm a very open person. I don't like to be fake or hide behind a mask. I have no problem being open about my struggles.

My biggest struggle is lust. I live in America, and men here are constantly being bombarded with sex 24/7. You can't turn on a tv, or read the newspaper, or go out in public without seeing some half dressed chick. Many women here don't know what modesty is.

Whew……lots of luck there!!  Whether they admit it or not, I think most men have this problem! [That's the way we're hard-wired between our ears, I think.]  Probably the best policy is when you find yourself drifting off in that direction do the old holler “GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN!!!!”

I agree tb4u,

Only my holler is “I TAKE EVERY THOUGHT CAPTIVE TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST”! Of course it works it's scripture and of course I already have at least partially have lusted. Hey! I'm not proud of that :(

Ladies please dress from your eyes to your toes :D Just kidding! If you wear pants then have mercy and make them baggy. AND PLEASE WEAR A BRA :)

Other than a bikini, which I can usually stay away from that's my weaknesses.

Man! Please pray for me. The more I look at it the worst it looks!

TJStarfire
    Participant

:blues:
    Sure there are sluts everywhere you look but why would you lust after some HIV infected slut who exposes her sexuality for all to see?
    Looking or admiring beauty isn't the same as wanting to have sex with anything that wiggles.
    Lust is denotes a desire to have,
    so don’t give in to temptation.
    If you have a problem just view them all as infected,
    you will only be wrong about 10% of the time,
    so just don’t dwell on it.

TJStarfire
    Participant

If you are worried about these things try reading the fourth book of Maccabees
    you can find it here;
    http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/fbe/index.htm#section_006

sandra
    Participant

I am a Christian woman, and woman should be covered. If some would not accuse me, in America I would, including a veil!

Now how would that help all of you?

It has also been revealed to me that,the woman underneath the veil, shall be blessed with the Holy Spirit. This is RIDYAH! (spelling phonetically!)

MrBob
    Participant

Quote (TJStarfire @ April 26 2006,13:24)
    Sure there are sluts everywhere you look but why would you lust after some HIV infected slut who exposes her sexuality for all to see?
    Looking or admiring beauty isn't the same as wanting to have sex with anything that wiggles.

Clothes aren't the sin; lust is. Yes, some women don't dress as modestly as they should, but many of them are unaware. Besides, lust is a sin whether she's full-clothed or bare-naked. Let's stop blaming the women around us for our problems. Are we to judge and view every women we fear lusting after as infected? I don't know about you, but I'll leave the judging to YHWH–not myself.

If we walk in the spirit, which means to love our sisters (believing women) and neighbors. If you can't look without sinning, turn your eyes away! Let's not judge, but walk by the spirit in love. Then, we will have victory. :D

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (sandra @ April 27 2006,17:05)
    I am a Christian woman, and woman should be covered. If some would not accuse me, in America I would, including a veil!

Now how would that help all of you?  

It has also been revealed to me that,the woman underneath the veil, shall be blessed with the Holy Spirit. This is RIDYAH! (spelling phonetically!)

Just let the Holy Spirit lead. No one can tell me the Holy Spirit is telling women to dress like they dress today in America.

Here's some food for thought:

Mat 18:6 But whoso shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depth of the sea.
    Mat 18:7 Woe unto the world because of occasions of stumbling! for it must needs be that the occasions come; but woe to that man through whom the occasion cometh!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hey,
    He understands.
    He has walked in our shoes and knows the urgings of the flesh to reunite with our rib.

Walk according to the Spirit and you will not sin.
    Give no heed to the demands of the flesh.
    Sin and you are understood and forgiven.
    As Paul said to Timothy;
    “put aside youthful passions.”
    You have got to have them to be able to do so.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 28 2006,04:38)
    Hey,
    He understands.
    He has walked in our shoes and knows the urgings of the flesh to reunite with our rib.

Walk according to the Spirit and you will not sin.
    Give no heed to the demands of the flesh.
    Sin and you are understood and forgiven.
    As Paul said to Timothy;
    “put aside youthful passions.”
    You have got to have them to be able to do so.

AMEN! Nick,

Proclaimer
    Participant

The only time we will not sin is when we are in faith. For anything that is not of faith is sin. Therefore because there is sin or faith, we need to be faithful and at that moment we are not sinning.

Of course no one here is perfect and we will fall from faith many times. In these times we should know that we have a covenant with God that he will cleanse us of ALL sin because he sent his son into the world to die for us.

So we repent and move on, and continue to be faithful.

Now as powerful as the urges of the carnal nature are, we also have the Spirit who comforts us and leads us. So unlike carnal men who are only ruled by the carnal nature, we have a choice because we can choose to be led by the Spirit.

Galatians 5:16
    So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

I would think that just as we can easily get into bad habits, propagated by our carnal nature, we can also get into good habits like works of faith. Because there is only faith or sin, if we do one of them, we cannot be doing the other at the same time. So it is either faith or sin. That is the real issue.

Remember that being faithful doesn't mean that we are perfect. God forgives our imperfections if we have a repentant heart though.

Finally some words of comfort and truth:
    Romans 8:1
    Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

So if we are in Christ, we shouldn't beat ourselves up, because God doesn't.

https://heavennet.net/answers/answer27.htm

Woutlaw
    Participant

Quote (TJStarfire @ April 26 2006,18:24)

:blues:

Good points David

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    2Peter 1.4
    “For by these He has granted us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust.”
    Jude 16-18
    “These are grumblers, finding fault, following after their own lusts……'In the last days there will be mockers, following after their own ungodly lusts'..”

Lusts originate as natural desires but godlessly following after them into sin is what brings destruction to us and the world.

Stephen
    Participant

That is a huge struggle for me as well. This may sound funny but what I try to do is carry something around with me that help me focus on GOD. When I am tempted I take it out of my pocket and it helps me refocus on GOD. The temptation soon passes. Most of the time. I am not perfect and don’t claim to be. I try and keep it real. It could be some as simple as a cross… Good luck.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Stephen Are you new, Welcome. As far as caring the cross around just b careful that it does not become your Idol. My Husband believes that the cross is the sign of the beast. I don't know! Let me explain that my Husband has studied almost daily for about 4 hours for the last 12 years. Before each study He prayed and ask God for His Holy Spirit to guide Him. We have too of course have to prove things to our self and be convinced in our mind. When We left the Catholic Church we got rid of all Statues. That is 22 years ago. Just want to tell you this. You have been born again, I assume, then just ask the Holy Spirit to remind you. God will.

Peace and Love Mrs. :D :D :D

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account