Should some forums be restricted?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 221 through 231 (of 231 total)
  • Author
    kejonn
    Participant

Quote (david @ Feb. 19 2008,14:50)

There is one major difference between Gandhi and Jesus: there is no doubt that Gandhi existed.

Gandhi:
    “When [we] shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in this Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved the problems . . . of the whole world.”

We have overwhelming evidence of his existance, from his writings to pictures and videos.

And yet, if Gandhi existed in Jesus' time, no one today would have a clue who he was.  Not so with Jesus.

Speculation. We know of many historical figures so to say none would have heard of Gandhi is just your guess.

You seem to forget that many writings outside of the Bible spoke of Jesus but because their view of him did not match the canonical books, they were no accepted as valid. Who decides what is the valid story of Jesus?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Do you keep any newspaper articles on Gandhi?
    Surely you do not rely on books just as we do with Jesus?

kejonn
    Participant

Huh? I actually know little about Gandhi and I don't plan on expanding that knowledge much further. I just share his opinion that no man-made religion — and Christianity ranks among them — is the perfect representative of a living God.

But you fail to recognize that the earliest Christians relied on many other pieces of literature written about Jesus which you do not find in your bible. Some of these give different views of Jesus than what you have come to know. Therefore you have formed your belief about Jesus based upon a set of works that a commitee decided was the best representation of what they wanted people to know. In other words, what supported their own theology, and now much of yours.

Many of the early Christians quoted from such works as the Didache, Epistle of Barnabas, the Apocalypse of Peter, the Shephard of Hermas, and 1 Clement. Why do you not accept these as they did? They were much closer to Jesus' lifetime and they seemed to accept them as valid teachings of Jesus.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    The bible claims that God sent Christ.
    There seems less room that you would like to develop a wider pantheon.
    Why take other books as gospel when we have yet to fully understand all that we do have.

Perhaps you may find Peter's[?] apocalypse alarming?

kejonn
    Participant

I need no wider pantheon. I believe in one God, but I further believe that God would not be so selfish as to only reveal Himself to one tribe of people thousands of years ago, and then represent Himself in a different manner to another set some time thereafter. The differences derive from man and his particular view of God. Such differences on the view of God are made withing Christianity itself so why should one be alarmed that non-Christian religions diverge on their view of God?

kejonn
    Participant

To further the confusion, millions of Christians using the same NT books come to different conclusions on the nature of Jesus. Do you attribute this confusion to God, or man?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    Then do not join them.
    Get a sound foundation in place.
    Realise the greatness of the power of God to override the follies of men.

kejonn
    Participant

Is your foundation sure Nick? If you say yes, do you accept that people who believe differently than you can have a solid foundation?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi KJ,
    If you have doubts as to what is best check the words of God.
    Matthew 7:24
    Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

Mr. Steve
    Participant

My experience is that when someone is defeated they stop posting on a certain thread, instead of admitting they're wrong. Or, they decide that it's pointless to continue to have the same conversation and continue to answer the same arguments. That does get old. Generally, folks normally weed themselves out of the way so why have a restriction on who can participate.

Proclaimer
    Participant

That is true in most cases.

But you will get a type of person that brings some baggage with him and into all discussions and they never seem to leave. They spam their ideas all over the place and a lot of work is required when dealing with them. You can end up defending yourself against them all the time as they require or you can ignore them. But then they bait others and conversations remained stalled. When this happens the whole reason for the forums here is gone.

Viewing 11 posts - 221 through 231 (of 231 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account