PREACHING the good news of the kingdom–(Acts 20;2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

The bible is not enough without man's words?

Nick, I thought you believed the above.

Why are you here, speaking at all? Is not the Bible enough without 'your' words? Why not live up to what you yourself say?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    This is the appointed witness.
    1Peter3
    15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Casting pearls before swine was never advised.

Texas
    Participant

Quote (david @ Sep. 30 2008,10:20)
    It has recently been stated (by Gene) that the earliest Christians did not preach from house to house.  While there is a thread on “what” to preach there is no topic on “how” to preach.  So, here goes.

“Celsus, the first writer against Christianity, makes it a matter of mockery, that labourers, shoemakers, farmers, the most uninformed and clownish of men, should be zealous preachers of the Gospel.”
    (The History of the Christian Religion and Church, During the Three First Centuries, by Augustus Neander; translated from the German by Henry John Rose, 1848, p. 41)

I have personally used a variety of methods to carry out the commission Jesus gave to preach and make disciples (Matthew 28:19,20)
    I have witnessed in marketplaces, on street corners, and in other public areas. (Acts 17:17)
    I’ve spoken to people on the telephone and on the street, and by letter.
    All these methods work and have their place.  But preaching from “house to house” seems to be the best method for personally reaching everyone with the good news.

When Jesus sent forth his disciples, he instructed them:
    ““Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. When YOU are entering INTO THE HOUSE, greet the household; and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it;”

Were they to visit without a prior invitation?  Note Jesus further words:
    “ Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet.”
    These instructions make clear that as the apostles “went through the territory from village to village, declaring the good news” they were to take the initiative to visit people in their homes. (Luke 9:6)

The Bible specifically mentions that the apostles preached from house to house.  For example, Acts 5:42 says of them: “Every day in the temple and FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.”
    Some 20 years later, the apostle Paul reminded the older men of the congregation in Ephesus:
    “I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and FROM HOUSE TO HOUSE.”

Did Paul visit those elders before they became believers?  

Evidently so, for he taught them, among other things, “about repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus.”
    (Acts 20;20,21)  Thus, from the start of his missionary service in Asia, Paul searched “from house to house” for spiritually inclined persons.

It’s interesting what else Paul goes on to say in this verse: “I thoroughly bore witness.”

In order to be thorough and reach everyone, you can’t expect people to come to you.  You have to “Go” to them. (Mat 28:19)

It seems a certain responsibility comes with knowledge.
    1 CORINTHIANS 9:16
    “If, now, I am declaring the good news, it is no reason for me to boast, for necessity is laid upon me. Really, WOE IS ME IF I DID NOT DECLARE THE GOOD NEWS!”
    ACTS 20:26-27
    “Hence I call YOU to witness this very day that I am clean from the blood of all men, for I have not held back from telling YOU all the counsel of God.”

(Compare 1 Tim 4:16)
    If Paul, knowing what he knew, remained silent and did teach and preach this good news, he would have considered it bloodguilt on his part–for it is life saving knowledge, and with it comes a responsibility to share it. (John 17:3)

Anyway, that’s a good place to begin.  Now, someone can make the comment that they didn’t preach from “house to house” in the distributive sense, and we can go into the grammar.  

david

David!
    Okay David! Give us a sermon and preach the 'good news of the kingdom!' {Matthew 24:14} Right at the moment, I could use a good sermon, on any Bible Topic you wish! Mostly, though, I'd like to hear about the 'good news of the Kingdom', from you! Texas!

Ps! Are you from the Toronto area? If you are, there's a good bet we know each other. Also, it may well be that we have met at one of the large assemblies. If you're from Toronto, what Hall or Halls have you attended? Just curious, that's all! Texas!

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account