old and new

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 292 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi c,
    No. But Peter did.

Casiphus
    Participant

Hi Nick,

In this passage, Peter preached Jesus to the Jews who were gathered in Jerusalem for the festival.

I'm still not sure what you're getting at?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi c,
    Just the Jews then?
    What about us gentiles?
    What must we do to be saved?

Casiphus
    Participant

Oh Nick, are you trying to prove that we can't be saved unless we believe that the Bible is infallible?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi c,
    No. Just wondering how you understand salvation.

david
    Participant

While archeology and science have often taken their time in catching up with the Bible, the Bible has never been wrong when it touches in these areas. Science thought is always changing. It's been wrong often and if history has taught us anything, many scientific thoughts of today will be proved the same some day. With my experience, often one makes an attempt to find contradictions or anything that can prove the Bible wrong.
    And with very little time, one looking for such things can find them. With a little more time, and a little more thought, they disappear. I personally believe this is an effort to avoid a sence of responsibility. If I believe in God but not the Bible, I can do what I FEEL is right, and not what God says I should do. How convenient. Is it so hard for the one who created everything to inspire a book? Even you can write a book. Can you make one blade of grass?

david.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    Daniel told us knowledge would increase. But science is only a measure of the design of God yet it leads to vanity among men. They regard their discoveries as exalting their minds.They then try to use science to deny the Creator. Or they vainly muse about the Creator but do not respond to His pleas to be saved from the terrible destructive fate awaiting the lost. Men are naturally rebellious.

david
    Participant

DANIEL 12:4
    ““And as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant.””

Are you saying this scripture refers to knowledge in general, scientific knowledge?

david
    Participant

Here's a scripture I like and will include just for fun:
    DANIEL 12:9-10
    “And he went on to say: “Go, Daniel, because the words are made secret and sealed up until the time of [the] end. Many will cleanse themselves and whiten themselves and will be refined. And the wicked ones will certainly act wickedly, and no wicked ones at all will understand; but the ones having insight will understand.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 11 2005,21:13)
    DANIEL 12:4
    ““And as for you, O Daniel, make secret the words and seal up the book, until the time of [the] end. Many will rove about, and the [true] knowledge will become abundant.””

Are you saying this scripture refers to knowledge in general, scientific knowledge?

Yes.

Casiphus
    Participant

Hi Nick,

Just wondering how you understand salvation.

Turning from darkness towards the light (short answer).

Hi David,

If I believe in God but not the Bible, I can do what I FEEL is right, and not what God says I should do. How convenient.

It is convenient – and just as convenient to use the Bible to justify self-interested behaviour – but didn't Paul say that God's law is written on our hearts, so no-one has an excuse?

OneSpirit
    Participant

Casiphus,

I repeat:
    A man who makes his own law is his own god.  Your faith does not rest in anyone, or anything, outside of yourself.  As long as that is your conscious decision, go for it.  Just don't expect YHWH-fearing people to join you.

Deuteronomy 12:8
    You shall not at all do as we are doing here today—every man doing whatever is right in his own eyes—”

Judges 21:25
    In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.

Proverbs 12:15
    The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, But he who heeds counsel is wise.

Proverbs 21:2
    Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But [YHWH] weighs the hearts.

From your friend Paul:

Romans 7:7
    What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Casiphus @ Oct. 12 2005,12:39)
    Hi Nick,

Just wondering how you understand salvation.

Turning from darkness towards the light (short answer).

Hi David,

If I believe in God but not the Bible, I can do what I FEEL is right, and not what God says I should do.  How convenient.

It is convenient – and just as convenient to use the Bible to justify self-interested behaviour – but didn't Paul say that God's law is written on our hearts, so no-one has an excuse?

Hi One Spirit,
    “God's Law is written in our heart”
    Who is the us?
    Does that include everybody?
    If not then how does one join the group?
    Does taking a passing interest bring the change or deciding to believe in God?

OneSpirit
    Participant

Nick,

I presume that you meant to address your last post to Casiphus, and not to me, as I did not write the post that you quote.

NickHassan
    Participant

ooops sorry One Spirit.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Back to the subject;
    Conscience till the Law was given-all sinned,
    Law given for the Jews with the promised inheritance, and the gentiles remained under sin and death
    Christ came and perfectly fulfilled the Law
    Christ came and made the Law standards increase to perfection.
    Law of the Spirit and freedom from condemnation for those in Christ-Jew and Gentile.
    Outside of Christ death, except the Jews who perfectly fulfill the Law[? impossible] and God has promised mercy but only to those who help those in Christ.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Since we are not Jews our only true hope of safety is in Christ Jesus, unless you are a gambler whose generous life has likely encompassed helping the servants of God [Matt 25.32f].
    That is why we preach salvation according to scripture, so vigorously, in the style of Hebrews 4. Make sure that you are following Christ and not false denominational teachers.

Casiphus
    Participant

Hi One Spirit and Nick,

A man who makes his own law is his own god. Your faith does not rest in anyone, or anything, outside of yourself. As long as that is your conscious decision, go for it. Just don't expect YHWH-fearing people to join you.

Are you God, that you know my heart? Don't you interpret the Bible how you think best, and another person how they think best? If two people disagree on Biblical interpretation does that mean one of them is being his own god? Surely it is God who calls a person, and God that leads them – will you then condemn me because I don't follow you?

I don't like to be confronting, but when I read your posts I FEEL as though you have decided that what you think is what all “YHWH-fearing people” think. Are you really in a position to say this?

Since we are not Jews our only true hope of safety is in Christ Jesus, unless you are a gambler whose generous life has likely encompassed helping the servants of God [Matt 25.32f].
    That is why we preach salvation according to scripture, so vigorously, in the style of Hebrews 4. Make sure that you are following Christ and not false denominational teachers.

Truly you have a dizzying intellect 😉

Do you really think God is waiting around for a salvation event such as a sinner's prayer or a glass of water given to a prophet? Is this truly salvation, or is salvation a process whereby we are transformed into the image of Christ? Should our outreach be based on a Biblical mandate, or because we have seen and can testify to the benefits of following Jesus? – which motivation is going to carry more conviction?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Casiphus @ Oct. 13 2005,00:22)
    Hi One Spirit and Nick,

A man who makes his own law is his own god.  Your faith does not rest in anyone, or anything, outside of yourself.  As long as that is your conscious decision, go for it.  Just don't expect YHWH-fearing people to join you.

Are you God, that you know my heart?  Don't you interpret the Bible how you think best, and another person how they think best?  If two people disagree on Biblical interpretation does that mean one of them is being his own god?  Surely it is God who calls a person, and God that leads them – will you then condemn me because I don't follow you?

I don't like to be confronting, but when I read your posts I FEEL as though you have decided that what you think is what all “YHWH-fearing people” think.  Are you really in a position to say this?

Truly you have a dizzying intellect 😉

Do you really think God is waiting around for a salvation event such as a sinner's prayer or a glass of water given to a prophet?  Is this truly salvation, or is salvation a process whereby we are transformed into the image of Christ?  Should our outreach be based on a Biblical mandate, or because we have seen and can testify to the benefits of following Jesus? – which motivation is going to carry more conviction?

Hi casiphus,
    No one is judging you but we all encourage each other to test all things and hold fast to what is good. Scripture is good and teachings that follow scripture are good.
    Imitation of Christ to become like him is impossible, even useless. Instead we are to follow him.
    Christ was impelled by the Spirit of God to do as he did. He drew on all the resources of his Father who was with him as Spirit to do the work of God.
    We too need to be born again of water and the Spirit to be born into Christ [Gal 3.27]. Then Christ has to be born into us[Gal 4.19]to enable us to become like him and follow him.
    Angels rejoice when one sinner repents. We are all sinners. Unless we repent we shall all likewise perish. We must all repent and follow the instructions of Peter in Acts 2.37f.

Casiphus
    Participant

Hi Nick,

No one is judging you but we all encourage each other to test all things and hold fast to what is good. Scripture is good and teachings that follow scripture are good.

Well, if I had said, “Your faith does not rest in anyone, or anything, outside of yourself,” it would have been a judgement, however as I don't like to be portrayed as the victim, I won't argue over intentions 😉

I won't debate the goodness of scripture, but if you don't mind I will comment your approach. If you do mind, I'm afraid it'll be too late once you've stated your objections 😉

We too need to be born again of water and the Spirit to be born into Christ [Gal 3.27]. Then Christ has to be born into us[Gal 4.19]to enable us to become like him and follow him.
    Angels rejoice when one sinner repents. We are all sinners. Unless we repent we shall all likewise perish. We must all repent and follow the instructions of Peter in Acts 2.37f.

I can appreciate that your views of the Bible make such comments automatically valid, perhaps even beyond all question? But to me this is just a collection of unsubstantiated Bible quotes.

For a humourous analogy – if I said to you:

One man came in the name of love [U2], and love walked on water [Violent Femmes], so all you need is love [Beetles], but love will tear us apart [Joy Division]

Would that automatically make you believe that what I say is true? Presumably not – at least, I certainly hope not. 😉

What makes something true is not that it is said to be true, but that it is in fact true, and (as someone said earlier) only God knows completely. However, I have a feeling that he gave as the Holy Spirit for more reason than to point out certain scriptures.

Viewing 20 posts - 181 through 200 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account