numerology in the Bible

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Harmony
    Participant

Didn't know if this would be the right place, so if it isn't, please forgive.
    This isn't about the Book in the Bible, Numbers… it's about those that 'assign' the meanings of numbers… Like the 666, denoting the evil one.
    I received an email from somone:

Repeated Occurrences of Numbers in Triplicate

Being a person with a prophetic nature I have long since ceased to be surprised by strange or odd occurrences in my life. I’m sure most folks who tend toward being prophetic feel the same. For the last two years I seem to see numbers in triplicate everywhere I look. I will glance at a clock for no reason and it will be 3:33 or 4:44 or 5:55 but most commonly it will be either 1:11, or 11:11. Sometimes I notice these numbers in account or tag numbers and other places with such regularity that it cannot be happenstance.

I don't know this individual….. but would be interested to find what others think.

Thanks. Harmony

Harmony
    Participant

??? no clues?

kejonn
    Participant

Harmony,

Hi. I've often heard people associate numerical meanings into and from scripture. I would not put much merit in this, it is a pagan thought. It is a type of superstition. God does not speak to us cryptically, but through His spirit.

Just my opinion.

Is 1:18
    Participant

Quote (kejonn @ July 18 2007,13:34)
    Harmony,

Hi. I've often heard people associate numerical meanings into and from scripture. I would not put much merit in this, it is a pagan thought. It is a type of superstition. God does not speak to us cryptically, but through His spirit.

Just my opinion.

Kejonn,
    Isn't this like saying pagans sacrifice sheep to their gods, therefore sheep are a pagan thing?….

I thought Harmony was right, it's quite evident that significance is attached to certain number in the Bible….three and seven stand out in this regard.

kejonn
    Participant

Is,

No, not at all. There is a difference in that we know lambs were sacrificed to God, regardless of what pagans did. But just because God did things in threes or sevens, should we see something into it? What significance would it be for use to study such or lay stock in biblical numerology? Excerpts from the numerology entry in wikipedia

Numerology is any of many systems, traditions or beliefs in a mystical or esoteric relationship between numbers and physical objects or living things.

Today, numerology is often associated with the occult, alongside astrology and similar divinatory arts. The term can also be used for those who, in the view of some observers, place excess faith in numerical patterns, even if those people don't practice traditional numerology. For example, Underwood Dudley uses the term to discuss practitioners of the Elliott wave principle of stock market analysis.

Historians believe that modern numerology is an integration of the teachings from Ancient Babylonia, Pythagoras and his followers (6th century B.C. Greece), astrological philosophy from Hellenistic Alexandria, early Christian mysticism, the occultism of the early Gnostics and the Hebrew system of the Kabbalah. The Indian Vedas, the Chinese “Circle of the Dead”, and the Egyptian “Book of the Master of the Secret House” (Ritual of the Dead) are records giving strong evidence that Numerology dates back thousands of years.

Harmony
    Participant

Kejonn, Wikipedia was my first stop too. Spent several hours in there. Even went into looking at the Jewish numbers and the relationship to 'modern' numerology.
    Interesting correlations, but I guess I just don't see how a 'prophet' can profess to be Christian, and base his 'prophetic ability' on numerology…… In my mind that would fall under where we are not to associate, or have business with soothsayers, witches, or others of the 'black arts'.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Of course the Apostles drew straws and the Jews used the Urim and Thummin to declare the will of God.
    Leviticus 16:8
    And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.
    Joshua 18:6
    Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God.

acertainchap
    Participant

Quote (Harmony @ July 19 2007,10:33)
    In my mind that would fall under where we are not to associate, or have business with soothsayers, witches, or others of the 'black arts'.

Yes. Listen to Harmony, she is correct.

Participant

Hi all:

Relative to this subject.  What about the scripture pasted below:

Re 13:18
    Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

acertainchap
    Participant

We are not to look for our future or the future of mankind in numbers. It is a form of astrology and witchcraft that is condemned. If God wanted to make numbers clear to us: (666), then he can do so. If he wishes to reveal things to us, he can do so, as was so with these numbers as well. We are not to under our own merit but God's alone. :)

IM4Truth
    Participant

Hi Chap will you consider this scripture
    Col. 1:26 the mystery of God has been hedden from all ages and from generations, but NOW HAS BEEN REVEALED TO HIS SAINTS.
    Peace nd Love Mrs.

bmanmcfly
    Participant

Hi, now I'm by no means an expert on the subject, so bear with me that I don't have the quotes to back this all up (call me lazy)

So, Let's say we have 'Gods' that showed up on earth, they've been betrayed by the people they've created, now, there is this bible that is written. If the use of numerology in the bible used would reqiure an in depth knowledge of the subject to find any meaning in it, and this knowledge was availaible to either or both the 'gods' and / or the humans… what better way to make sure the systems of control stay in place than to call this 'secret layer' of the bible as being pagan / evil in origin??

Also, what if the number of the beast 666 isn't really a source of 'divine knowledge' (for lack of a better term)??

I mean you gotta consider the fact that if the bible is at least somewhat based on true events, well… you don't just think that they dissappeared now do you? Left the planet maybe? Buried in hidden caves somewhere? Perhaps under the ocean (I don't remember which part of the bible but I do remember reading of creatures under the water)?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Harmony @ July 13 2007,08:19)
    Didn't know if this would be the right place, so if it isn't, please forgive.
    This isn't about the Book in the Bible, Numbers… it's about those that 'assign' the meanings of numbers… Like the 666, denoting the evil one.
    I received an email from somone:

Repeated Occurrences of Numbers in Triplicate

Being a person with a prophetic nature I have long since ceased to be surprised by strange or odd occurrences in my life. I’m sure most folks who tend toward being prophetic feel the same. For the last two years I seem to see numbers in triplicate everywhere I look. I will glance at a clock for no reason and it will be 3:33 or 4:44 or 5:55 but most commonly it will be either 1:11, or 11:11. Sometimes I notice these numbers in account or tag numbers and other places with such regularity that it cannot be happenstance.

I don't know this individual….. but would be interested to find what others think.

Thanks. Harmony

I think you are highlighting another example of how human are hypersensitive to seeing patterns. Have you counted how many times a day you look at a clock or watch? Might it be that your brain normally doesn't think about the numbers seen until it is alerted to the 1:11 etc pattern, and that is the thing that comes first to your mind when thinking about it?

It can be, and almost certainly is happenstance (what a great word, by the way!). I'm sorry to say I don't think there is anything particularly special here, except the astonishing ability of humans to indulge superstitions, which in my opinion includes religious superstitions.

Stuart

IM4Truth
    Participant

Fly What are you trying to say here? You do not believe in the Word of God to be in the Bible? That is what I read out of your post. Not all prophecy are according to #. If you can't believe in the Bible were do you get the good News from? Do you even believe in a God, that loves us, and has send His Son that died for us, and was resurrected, and sits at the right hand of our Heavenly Father. Before I go on with you I would like for you to answer my Question, Please.

Peace and Love Mrs.

bmanmcfly
    Participant

I believe that there was some sort of universal creator, but I also believe that a being of the scope to create the universe is beyond the scope of human intelligence therefore doing things to please this sort of god is irrellevant.

Now, what I am trying to say here is that I believe that the bible as it's written like most other ancient texts from around the world, due to their similarity overall, is actually a tale of true to life events in earths history. If you consider most of what's in the bible is a euphamism for something real and tangible that has happened, then you have a tale of 'gods' (I'm thinking 'Created in OUR image') coming to earth, and continues to be a tale of a great flood, wars, deceit, god's wrath, among other things.

That said, I was also saying that IF this is true AND IF forms of divination were known to the gods AND IF the bible has more numerolological significance than would be expected by random chance, THEN it's a fair assumption that at some point a deciding factor decided that rather than remove the doors to understanding the true messages within the bible, this deciding force instead announced that the key to unlock this door goes against the beliefs of the book. Make sense? Keep in mind, I'm not stating this as truth, just that if it were truth there is a logical explanation.

bmanmcfly
    Participant

I couldn't find an edit button, sorry for double post…

The explanation I gave also explains 666 as being the number of the beast / evil number this way noone would look deeply in it's significanse… I don't know if this is the case, but to me it's not far of a stretch.

NickHassan
    Participant

For ED

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 13 2009,10:42)
    For ED

Ed J has started a thread called “English Gematria”, which explains many of your questions.

If you still have unanswered Questions, I will try to answer them for you.

God bless
    Ed J
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account