nostics: how do you preach to them?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elaine1809
    Participant

this young man is very much in love with my daugther but he says he is nostic. my daugther wants to introduce him to the validity of the bible so she can start a bible study with him. Any suggestions as to what, or, how to start , or what to say to get his attention? He does not even know all of what nostics believe. He is confuse and want to learn our religion. Anybody familiar with this philoshophy? Thank you!

Proclaimer
    Participant

Dictionary says the following regarding “gnostic”:

a member of any of certain sects among the early Christians who claimed to have superior knowledge of spiritual matters, and explained the world as created by powers or agencies arising as emanations from the Godhead.

Can anyone else help?

charity
    Participant

Hi elaine1809;The early Gnostics were known for being very loving, and peaceful people, and even the gospel they preached was destroyed, by latter scripts miss interpretation of their errand; as also it has seeked to destroy the remembrance of Christ life from the earth, moving the kingdom hence, away

Mat 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. On the wise, where ever our mind is seduced to look for the body of Christ

The Secret Book of John is the one Gnostic text every student seeking to understand the roots of ancient Christianity must read. At first reading it will seem unlike anything encountered in the New Testament — excepting perhaps the Apocalypse of John. Like the Apocalypse, this too is a revelation text, a secret and sacred vision. It is the story of God, and by reflection, the story of Humankind — a penetrating psychological reflection on the source of consciousness and the existential predicament of an eternal light indwelling life. It is not an intellectual curiosity, nor is it a text to be “surfed”, in the perverse sense of modern internet reading. As Prof Karen King notes:

In antiquity, readers studied the Secret Revelation of John in order to perfect the divine image of their souls; it was composed, translated, and distributed largely to further salvation—or to refute its claims to aid in salvation. In the modern world, however, it has rarely been read with such goals in mind. It usually finds its place either in the theology of orthodox Christianity as a chapter on Gnostic heresy or in disputes about the historical origins and definition of Gnosticism. Within the academy more narrowly its value largely has to do with intellectual production and prestige, including concerns about tenure and promotion—salvation, if you will, of a rather different sort. As the Secret Revelation of John becomes known more widely, we may expect it to have new and varied impacts on early Christian historiography, constructive theology, and personal appropriation. In any case, modern readers do not stand outside the work's history, but take it up on a new historical stage.

New in the Library – The Secret Book of John: Among the several dozen ancient Gnostic manuscripts rediscovered in modern times, the Secret Book of John (also known as the Apocryphon of John) is widely considered to be the most important. It is the preeminent “Gnostic Gospel”, a sacred reservoir for the defining essence of Gnostic myth and revelation. Recognizing the importance of this text, we have now added a large section to the Library dedicated to the Secret Book of John — included in collection you will find introductory materials and several translations of the Secret Book of John, including Prof. Stevan Davies' excellent new “reader's edition”.

If you are interested in reading a “Gnostic Gospel”, this is a good place to start.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn-short.html,

God bless

charity

charity
    Participant

just thoughts, forgive me if I am wrong please

The EARLY Nostic Christians live by the oldest surviving Gospels the OT … The Roman Paulist Christians considered the Nostic Christians as heretics.
    answers.. How nice to find out we are MAYBE the new – Nostic Christians the people who are believing the “REAL” Bible specifically the New Testament which describes Jesus Christ(Yeshua) ?
    Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if [it were] possible, they shall deceive the very elect.(INSIDE JOB)
    Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.

charity

messiahnist
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Aug. 11 2007,11:54)
    Dictionary says the following regarding “gnostic”:

a member of any of certain sects among the early Christians who claimed to have superior knowledge of spiritual matters, and explained the world as created by powers or agencies arising as emanations from the Godhead.

Can anyone else help?

This basically sums up the gnostics. They believed that the Way to salvation was secret knowledge (such as jesus did not die on the cross, physical matter is evil, etc…) and Jesus was the way the got it. Many of these arguments are refuted by the gospels, paul(1 Corinthians 15:33), all the apostles, and by the early church fathers.

The One
    Participant

In my opinion,the best way to teach is to try and find some common ground and expand from there.Historical evidence
    (Josephus,Tiberius)will help.Also,if the scriptures cannot be recognized by both parties as somewhat truthful,then
    common ground may not be possible.I myself have looked at:the Gospel of John,the Gospel of Mary,the book of Enoch,and have found reasons to both agree and disagree
    with sections in each.But on the whole,these Apochraphyl Gospels do not stand the tests needed to establish
    common doctrinal grounds.

IM4Truth
    Participant

Hello elaine

Is this young man serious about learning the truth, or is he saying that so you will allow him to date your daughter?
    You say that he doesn't know himself what a gnostic really is or believes.
    Why not start with your minister, introduce the young man to your church, and watch his reaction; also see how he feels about bible studies. Go slow with him, give him time to adjust, but keep your eye on him. I will pray for him.

God's blessings

Snowy
    Participant

The term Gnostic is applied with a very broad brush especially by those who want you to participate in a doctrine that may fall short of the docrine of the bible.

The bible certainly covers all wisdom The Lord directs to his people, some of which is revealed and some of which is concealed. That is why the bible cannot be held totally in a private interpretation.
    Christ taught in parables to the people but expounded the meaning fully only to his disciples.
    There are many texts written to help people understand the scripture of (Torah) and the scripture written in messianic times (New testament). Most of which have been suppressed by those who desire to put you in bondage to some hierarchy that will control you and your purse.
    The word says that in the last time knowledge will increase, we often think of computers and other sciences but true knowledge comes from the word of God. Knowledge comes by understanding and understanding comes from wisdom which comes from God. Pure wisdom from God is to much for us to comprehend so it is measured out to us thru varrius means, starting with scripture and then scripture expounded to us from the revealed on to the concealed as we are able.

(Pro 2:1) My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;

(Pro 2:2) So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

(Pro 2:3) Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;

(Pro 2:4) If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;

(Pro 2:5) Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

(Pro 2:6) For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

(Pro 2:7) He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly.
    KJV

IM4Truth
    Participant

Snowy I want to welcome you, I never seen you post before. I go by the Word of GOD IN THE Bible. We have a Ryle Old James King and I have a New King James. A James Moffatt translation a Catholic Bible, a German Bible, and a New International. My husband mainly uses the Ryle O.K.J. for His study, it is to be the closest to the original Greek an Hebrew Transcripts.
    I don't care to much for Gnostic, I go what God by His Holy Spirit is revealing to me.
    1 Corinth. 2: 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
    It says that we have received the Spirit of God that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 1 Corinth. 2:12.
    We are in the end time and knowledge has increased and many will come and try to take your faith way from us. Even on this Website. I like to give you some advice what my Husband does. When He studies He always starts with Prayer and asks God for His Holy Spirit to guide Him in all truths.
    I wish you all the best in your walk with Christ Jesus.
    Bless you
    Peace and Love Mrs.
    :D :D :D
    P.S. when you see a post without the signature of Peace and Love Mrs. it is my Husband.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account