Muhammad's covenant to christians

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    bodhitharta
    Participant

The messenger Muhammad also gave all Christians a covenant, which we will repeat because of its importance. In it is shown the noble character and sense of justice of the Messenger. This testimony is kept still in some monasteries until this day.

He said: “In the name of Allah, the compassionate, the merciful! This is a writing written by Muhammad Ibn Abdallah to all people as messenger, preacher, admonisher, and the one responsible so that nothing is kept from the messengers of God. God is powerful and wise. He writes it for the Christians all over the earth who live here or abroad, who speak Arabic or other languages, known and unknown. He gives them a covenant. He who annuls it, who practices the opposite, who oversteps the commandments, annuls the testament of God, denies its agreement, laughs about his religion, and earns a curse whoever he is, a ruler or another Muslim.

When a monk or someone passes through seeking refuge on a mountain, in a valley, in a cave, in a house, on flat land, on sand or in a church, then I with my helpers, relatives, my tribe and my followers will do what they can for him with enthusiasm because he is a member of the community and stands under my protection and I keep all harm from him. The persons affected shall only be taxed with so much tax as they are freely willing to pay without force or pressure; no bishop shall be moved from his bishopric, no monk from his monastery, no hermit from his cell to another city; no one passing through shall be hindered in his traveling. No house, no church building shall be torn down. None of the riches of their churches shall be used either for the building of a mosque or a house for Muslims. Whoever does anything like this violates the testament of God and his messengers. The bishops and God's workers shall be burdened with neither taxes nor fines. I protect them wherever they may be – be they on land or on sea, in the east or in the west, in the north or in the south. They are under my protection and safe from any need.

Added to this is: Whoever prays to God as a hermit in the mountains or in a blessed place does not have to pay for the sowing, nor the taxes, nor the tithing; one is not allowed to take a part because they only earn their own living and nobody helps them with their harvest. They are also not required to go to sea. The land and estate owners shall not pay more than twelve Dirham's per year; none of them shall be burdened with excesses and one shall not debate with them but rather do better than them as a good example, showing mercy and keeping them from tragedies.

When Christianity has come under the rule of Islam then the Muslims shall be satisfied to let them pray in their churches and no obstacle shall stand between them and their inclination to religion. Whoever violates God's testament, who does the opposite, is disobedient before God and his messenger. The Muslims shall be helpful to them, the Christians, with the restoration of their churches and houses. None of them is obliged to carry weapons because the Muslims protect them. Nobody shall offend against this testament until the day of the last judgment and until the end of the world.”

http://www.syrianchurch.org/PZakka/ShortHisIslam.htm

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Your believe this stuff?
    Should the sons of God make contracts with the lost?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 04 2009,10:58)
    Hi BD,
    Your believe this stuff?
    Should the sons of God make contracts with the lost?

I don't believe anyone who was protected felt that way, infact they praised God for Muhammad's protection of them.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Should the living make bargains with the dead?
    Your focus is on the passing political world just like catholicism.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 04 2009,11:34)
    Hi BD,
    Should the living make bargains with the dead?
    Your focus is on the passing political world just like catholicism.

You believe in a way that is not what Christ teaches for Christ says that anyone who does anything or helps anyone for his sake they shall be blessed. So you are not quite up on your studies.

Mark 9:40-41 (King James Version)

40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

41 For whosoever shall give you a cup of water to drink in my name, because ye belong to Christ, verily I say unto you, he shall not lose his reward.

God Bless you, Nick! :D

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    You oppose the work of the Holy Spirit offering to improve on those teachings given through men.
    Claims of love for our God fall on deaf ears after that arrogance.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 04 2009,12:12)
    Hi BD,
    You oppose the work of the Holy Spirit offering to improve on those teachings given through men.

Do you disagree with Mark 9:40-41?

BD,

Do you agree with this?

The Charge of Distortion of Jewish and Christian Scriptures
    Home > Articles > The Charge of Distortion of Je…
    Add comment | PrintPrint | ShareThis | Syndicate contentArticles
    Author:
    Prof. Abdullah Saeed
    Publication:
    The Muslim World. Vol. 92
    Publication Date:

A significant point of tension between today’s Muslims and the ‘People of the Book’ (Jews and Christians) is the common Muslim belief that the Jewish and Christian scriptures that exist today are corrupted and cannot be relied upon in any matters of faith, religion or law. Although this is a popular view, most classical scholars of the Qur’an were far more cautious in their understanding of Qur’anic texts on this issue. This article explores the Qur’an’s references to distortion of scriptural meaning and text, and the views of scholars, particularly Tabari, Qurtubi, Razi, Ibn Taymiyya and Qutb. Qur’anic words such as tahrif are popularly accepted today as referring to deliberate distortion of scripture; however, classical scholars have interpreted the Qur’an’s references in a number of different ways. Almost all suggested that distortion occurred mainly through interpretation and not in the text itself. Although the Qur’an refers to tahrif (distortion), it also exhibits the utmost respect for previous scriptures. Early Muslims adopted a narrow view of scripture, partly because of the nature of the Qur’an, and also in response to the more established religions of Judaism and Christianity, to assert the ‘purity’ of the Qur’an and Islam. Saeed notes that the Jewish and Christian scriptures that exist today are, according to most scholars, largely unchanged since the time of Muhammad and should be respected now as they were then.

http://www.abdullahsaeed.org/article….iptures

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Oct. 04 2009,12:26)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 04 2009,12:12)
    Hi BD,

Do you disagree with Mark 9:40-41?

Hi BD,
    The same promise of reward to those who give that cup of water sees it's fulfillment in Mt 25 when another flock of sheep is found by the good shepherd.

It is much to their surprise but because of their actions towards his brothers, the members of the body of Christ.

But humanists and false religion promotors should not hope to gaiin a similar reward

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 08 2009,12:39)
    BD,

Do you agree with this?

Add comment  |  PrintPrint  |  ShareThis  |  Syndicate contentArticles
    Author:
    Prof. Abdullah Saeed
    Publication:
    Publication Date:

A significant point of tension between today’s Muslims and the ‘People of the Book’ (Jews and Christians) is the common Muslim belief that the Jewish and Christian scriptures that exist today are corrupted and cannot be relied upon in any matters of faith, religion or law. Although this is a popular view, most classical scholars of the Qur’an were far more cautious in their understanding of Qur’anic texts on this issue. This article explores the Qur’an’s references to distortion of scriptural meaning and text, and the views of scholars, particularly Tabari, Qurtubi, Razi, Ibn Taymiyya and Qutb. Qur’anic words such as tahrif are popularly accepted today as referring to deliberate distortion of scripture; however, classical scholars have interpreted the Qur’an’s references in a number of different ways. Almost all suggested that distortion occurred mainly through interpretation and not in the text itself. Although the Qur’an refers to tahrif (distortion), it also exhibits the utmost respect for previous scriptures. Early Muslims adopted a narrow view of scripture, partly because of the nature of the Qur’an, and also in response to the more established religions of Judaism and Christianity, to assert the ‘purity’ of the Qur’an and Islam. Saeed notes that the Jewish and Christian scriptures that exist today are, according to most scholars, largely unchanged since the time of Muhammad and should be respected now as they were then.

I have reverence for all the words of God and while I understand that there has been distortions I believe the overall content and context remains the same.

I am not oppose to any words of God whether written or oral as either can become distorted. I am reminded when Jesus said to Peter “get behind me Satan” and yet Jesus made Peter his successor and so by seeing this it is quite possible to comprehend that in a line of successors corruption can occur but that does not mean all in the line are corrupt.

Anyone who appeals to God directly may receive assistance and revelation therefore Martin Luther could have received assistance to create protestantism and yet the CC could also be equivacated with them in general belief for their is not much difference.

In hinduism there are levels of belief the farther away someone is from God the more they are polytheistic and the closer they are to God the more monotheistic they become they strive to go from Ignorance to God consciousness and even Krishna whom they compare Christ to is called the supreme personality of Godhead so for their benefit they can see God in a person but the practitioner who wishes to go beyond that realizes that God is transcendent of all forms.

In the Bible it is told God is a Spirit worship Him in spirit and truth therefor the physical form that God dwelled in(Jesus) ultimately should not be worshipped as it is still polytheism and ultimately God dwells in all those who believe so worshiping Jesus one would have to also worship all others whom God is dwelling if that is their belief.

Quote (bodhitharta @ Oct. 09 2009,12:20)

BD,

Do you agree with this?

Author:
    Prof. Abdullah Saeed
    Publication:
    Publication Date:

I have reverence for all the words of God and while I understand that there has been distortions I believe the overall content and context remains the same.

I am not oppose to any words of God whether written or oral as either can become distorted. I am reminded when Jesus said to Peter “get behind me Satan” and yet Jesus made Peter his successor and so by seeing this it is quite possible to comprehend that in a line of successors corruption can occur but that does not mean all in the line are corrupt.

Anyone who appeals to God directly may receive assistance and revelation therefore Martin Luther could have received assistance to create protestantism and yet the CC could also be equivacated with them in general belief for their is not much difference.

In hinduism there are levels of belief the farther away someone is from God the more they are polytheistic and the closer they are to God the more monotheistic they become they strive to go from Ignorance to God consciousness and even Krishna whom they compare Christ to is called the supreme personality of Godhead so for their benefit they can see God in a person but the practitioner who wishes to go beyond that realizes that God is transcendent of all forms.

In the Bible it is told God is a Spirit worship Him in spirit and truth therefor the physical form that God dwelled in(Jesus) ultimately should not be worshipped as it is still polytheism and ultimately God dwells in all those who believe so worshiping Jesus one would have to also worship all others whom God is dwelling if that is their belief.

Whoa…thanks for that….I think. Dude, you have quite a little version of ecumenism going don't you?

Well, I'm not sure I grasp everything you shared. But I sense you were being genuine in your response.

So thanks!

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 09 2009,12:25)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Oct. 09 2009,12:20)

BD,

Do you agree with this?

Author:
    Prof. Abdullah Saeed
    Publication:
    Publication Date:

Whoa…thanks for that….I think.  Dude, you have quite a little version of ecumenism going don't you?

Well, I'm not sure I grasp everything you shared.  But I sense you were being genuine in your response.  

So thanks!

We all have to understand that we were all seperated in understanding at the tower of Babel and it is because we wanted to make a name for “ourselves” and not God so God confused our language and today it is the same thing with faith but those who are pure at heart shall see the kingdom of God.

If I see someone hungry , naked or sick I am not going to ask them what they believe in before I assist them I am going to assist them.

Theology is the study of God and religion is the doing of God so when we come together for theology I will have this position or that position but in regards to religion I will be what God wants us all to be: Merciful, Compassionate and Obedient to what God demands.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Why not enter the kingdom ?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 09 2009,12:44)
    Hi BD,
    Why not enter the kingdom ?

How does one enter the Kingdom?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Jesus spoke of it many times including Jn3 and Jn10.
    Peter preached it at pentecost Acts 2.38

Paul expanded on the meaning in Rom 6 and Peter in 1 peter3

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 09 2009,13:11)
    Hi BD,
    Jesus spoke of it many times including Jn3 and Jn10.
    Peter preached it at pentecost Acts 2.38

Paul expanded on the meaning in Rom 6 and Peter in 1 peter3

So receiving the Holy Spirit places you in the Kingdom of God?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    Is that what you heard Peter and Paul and Jesus say?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 09 2009,13:24)
    Hi BD,
    Is that what you heard Peter and Paul and Jesus say?

I'm asking you.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi BD,
    I do not think that is all it says.
    Read them again.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 09 2009,13:41)
    Hi BD,
    I do not think that is all it says.
    Read them again.

Can you have the Holy Spirit and not be in the Kingdom of Heaven

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 145 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account