Jehovah's Witness Church

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 847 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

The Witnesses are noted for their racial and ethnic integration.[citation needed] In the United States, an academic study found that the proportion of blacks among adults who self-identified as Witnesses at 37% (the highest proportion among any of the 22 largest religious identifications which make up 90% of the U.S. population).[5] Congregations are generally organized geographically, and members are encouraged to attend the Kingdom Hall in whose territory they reside, resulting in an ethnic mix generally representative of local population.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Jehovah%27s_Witnesses

I found the above while researching other things. I just thought it was interesting and haven't really thought about it too much.

(Acts 10:34-35) “At this Peter opened his mouth and said: “For a certainty I perceive that God is not partial, 35 but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.”

david
    Participant

According to the book Judging Jehovah's Witnesses,[8] the Witnesses have helped to widen the definition of civil liberties in most western societies, hence broadening the rights of millions of people, due to their firm stand and determination. According to the preface to the book State and Salvation:[9] “One of the results of the Witnesses' legal battles was the long process of discussion and debate that led to the Charter of Rights, which is now part of the fundamental law of Canada.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah%27s_Witnesses_and_governments

Other battles in countries around the world have involved the rights to decline military service or martial arts training, to decline to participate in political parties or governmental elections, to exercise free and anonymous speech, to exercise freedom of association, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, medical self-determination, etc. Witnesses continue to, in their words, 'defend and legally establish the Good News' around the world.”–Same

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    More chest beating?

david
    Participant

Hi david,
    More chest beating?

Yes, I'm sure they were beaten all over, including the chest.

Phoenix
    Participant

-The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society Inc. of Brooklyn, New York is called “God's Organization”
    -In conversation JWs call Watchtower headquarters “The Society”
    -All other religions (pagan, Christian, or any world religion) are called “Babylon the Great”
    -All Christian pastors and ministers are called the “Antichrist”
    -Changes in doctrine is called “New Light”
    -Those who bring “new light” or new revelations to the JWs are called “The faithful and discreet slave”
    -A non-Witness is called “a worldly person”
    -A person who rejects the JW message is called a “goat”
    -A person who is studying to become a JW is called “a study”
    -A person who is a weak Witness is called “unspiritual” or “Un-theocratic”
    -A JW who is publicly disciplined by the elders is called “publicly reproved”
    -A JW who is privately disciplined by the elders is called “privately reproved”
    -A JW who rejects Watchtower teachings and leaves or is expelled is called “an apostate”
    -A JW who breaks any of the Watchtower rules and does not repent to the elders is “disfellowshipped” (Shunned)
    -A disfellowshipped person who wants to return to the organization, repents to the elders and is called “reinstated”
    -You are forbidden to attend a funeral of an ex-Jehovah's Witness
    -You can never question what is printed in Watchtower literature
    -You must never attend a church service
    -You must never enter a church building
    -JWs in times of crisis, are strongly discouraged from consulting with family counselors, including mental health professionals who are not Jehovah's Witnesses
    -The Lord's supper is only to be eaten by select Jehovah's Witnesses (144,000 group-99.99% of Jehovah's Witnesses are forbidden from taking the Lord's supper)
    -The Holy Spirit is only for select Jehovah's Witnesses
    -God is not omnipresent
    -God is not omniscient “all knowing”
    -The “first resurrection” occurred in 1918
    -Jesus did not rise from the dead bodily but as a spirit being

And this is only a few of the of their beliefs.

Click here to see them all

david
    Participant

Of course, many of these are wrong and made up, and of course created by “former” JW's who may or may not have been removed and are now resentful.

I particularly wondered where in the world some of these statements came from, such as:
    63. You cannot wear jade jewelry

# 63 is just odd to me.

A point you mentioned was:

-The Holy Spirit is only for select Jehovah's Witnesses

This is obvioulsy completely wrong.

It's much better to ask someone that isn't against JW's what they actually believe. You are much more likely to get actual true answers based on the Bible.

david

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi David,

Can you tell me which, if not all of thse statements, is blatently false?

TIm

jerrymlr1
    Participant

Hello everyone, I just stumbled onto this forum and registered so I could browse and basically decide if this was a Christian forum.
    David,
    I had a few JWs come into my house to try to “convince me” of their beliefs. One thing that they lacked completely was “love”. How anyone can insist that Jesus is a created being and is equal to Satan (in that he is created) can only be led by a corrupted spirit himself. With that said, I would invite you to look at John 20:28, “And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.”
    This is as clear as it gets. All through the bible we are instructed to worship none other than God himself. Throughout the New Testament men and angels bow down and worship him. I pray that your eyes be opened to the truth. This is the very heart of Christianity. God reaching out to His creation, not some creation reaching out. Believe man!

Jerry
    :)

Phoenix
    Participant

Hi Jerry

Although I disagree with some beliefs of the JW's… the non Trinity I definitely agree with. Check out the Trinity threads

Hugs
    Phoenix

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (jerrymlr1 @ April 02 2007,06:50)
    Hello everyone, I just stumbled onto this forum and registered so I could browse and basically decide if this was a Christian forum.
    David,
    I had a few JWs come into my house to try to “convince me” of their beliefs. One thing that they lacked completely was “love”. How anyone can insist that Jesus is a created being and is equal to Satan (in that he is created) can only be led by a corrupted spirit himself. With that said, I would invite you to look at John 20:28, “And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.”
    This is as clear as it gets. All through the bible we are instructed to worship none other than God himself. Throughout the New Testament men and angels bow down and worship him. I pray that your eyes be opened to the truth. This is the very heart of Christianity. God reaching out to His creation, not some creation reaching out. Believe man!

Jerry
    :)

Hi jm and welcome.
    Are you offering this as proof that Jesus is God Himself?
    Then who is the Son of God?

jerrymlr1
    Participant

Hi Hick
    1) You bet
    2) One in the same
    What do you think it means?
    Jerry

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JM,
    That Jesus is his own father?
    hmmm.

jerrymlr1
    Participant

What do you think it means?

Not3in1
    Participant

Jerry wrote:

“And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.”

Welcome Jerry!
    Be careful not to re-write the Word to suit you. You put “Lord” in the above sentence in all caps, to mean, of course, that Thomas was pointing to God, himself. However, in the actual Bible this “Lord” is NOT in all caps.

Does this change your mind at all? Can this verse be taken another way? If so, should you base a faith system on it? I suggest that this scripture can be taken numerous ways. It is an uncertain foundation to build on. Take caution.

Good to have you here, brother. It's always nice to add another view to the mix. I like what t8 and Nick has said in the past, and that is that numbers keep you accountable. It's difficult to leave a “drive-by post” here without having to be accountable for what you write. :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Jm,
    It means that Jesus was never the son of God after all?
    2Peter 2
    ” 1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

jerrymlr1
    Participant

I have read the trinity thread and agree with Ambassador of Christ. Frankly I'm quite surprised to find unbelief on THE most important point of Christianity on a Christian forum.
    John 5:18
    and Phillipians 2:6 also clearly state Jesus' being God. IMHO
    Jerry

jerrymlr1
    Participant

Actually, I copied and pasted from my Bible. KJV

jerrymlr1
    Participant

So let me make sure that I understand correctly. All that have posted since my post believe that Jesus Christ is a created being?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi JM,
    He is the monogenes Son of God.
    That is a serious basic fact of your faith.
    He is the door, the shepherd and the priest, the mediator and the intercessor for us WITH GOD.
    So don't get them muddled up.

jerrymlr1
    Participant

Can you explain monogenes son of God?

Viewing 20 posts - 661 through 680 (of 847 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account