Islam question for bodhitharta

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 158 total)
  • Author

OK, don't send out your emissaries against me and my family for asking this. But I received an email from my cousin. How much of this is true? Here's the email I received:

Joys of Muslim Women

by Nonie Darwish

In the Muslim faith a Muslim man can marry a child as young as 1 year old and have sexual intimacy with this child. Consummating the marriage by 9.

The dowry is given to the family in exchange for the woman (who becomes his slave) and for the purchase of the private parts of the woman, to use her as a toy.

Even though a woman is abused she can not obtain a divorce.
    To prove rape, the woman must have (4) male witnesses.
    Often after a woman has been raped, she is returned to her family and the family must return the dowry. The family has the right to execute her (an honor killing) to restore the honor of the family. Husbands can beat their wives 'at will' and he does not have to say why he has beaten her.

The husband is permitted to have (4 wives) and a temporary wife for an hour (prostitute) at his discretion.
    The Shariah Muslim law controls the private as well as the public life of the woman.

In the West World ( America ) Muslim men are starting to demand Shariah Law so the wife can not obtain a divorce and he can have full and complete control of her. It is amazing and alarming how many of our sisters and daughters attending American Universities are now marrying Muslim men and submitting themselves and their children unsuspectingly to the Shariah law.

By passing this on, enlightened American women may avoid becoming a slave under Shariah Law.

Learn More…. Read: Cruel and Usual Punishment just released in most bookstores.

Ripping the West in Two.

Author and lecturer Nonie Darwish says the goal of radical Islamists is to impose Shariah law on the world, ripping Western law and liberty in two.

She recently authored the book, Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law.

Darwish was born in Cairo and spent her childhood in Egypt and Gaza before emigrating to America in 1978, When she was eight years old, her father died while leading covert attacks on Israel He was a high- ranking Egyptian military officer stationed with his family in Gaza.
    When he died, he was considered a “shahid,” a martyr for jihad. His posthumous status earned Nonie and her family an elevated position in Muslim society.

But Darwish developed a skeptical eye at an early age. She questioned her own Muslim culture and upbringing. She converted to Christianity after hearing a Christian preacher on television.
    In her latest book, Darwish warns about creeping sharia law – what it is, what it means, and how it is manifested in Islamic countries.
    For the West, she says radical Islamists are working to impose sharia on the world. If that happens, Western civilization will be destroyed.
    In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. to elect the President! I think everyone in the U.S. should be required to read this, but with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!

Douglas
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Aug. 31 2009,20:32)
    For the West, she says radical Islamists are working to impose sharia on the world. If that happens, Western civilization will be destroyed. In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. to elect the President!  I think everyone in the U.S. should be required to read this, but with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!

And if in 20 years that were so, it would surely be your vaunted democracy in action?

If you are truly concerned about the death of Western (and all) civilisation, I suggest there are far more pressing things to be concerned about than the spread of Islam (which surely is as entitled to spread as any other religion).

In 20 years it is more likely that your children and grandchildren (should you have any of either survive) will be cursing the day you elected an oilman and climate change denier while we passed the point of no return. If they not only survive, but retain the ability to read and write, and the understanding of what happened (which so few possess even now, I think unlikely).

What says boditharta?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Aug. 31 2009,20:32)
    OK, don't send out your emissaries against me and my family for asking this.  But I received an email from my cousin.  How much of this is true?  Here's the email I received:

Joys of Muslim Women

by Nonie Darwish

In the Muslim faith a Muslim man can marry a child as young as 1 year old and have sexual intimacy with this child.  Consummating the marriage by 9.

The dowry is given to the family in exchange for the woman (who becomes his slave) and for the purchase of the private parts of the woman, to use her as a toy.

Even though a woman is abused she can not obtain a divorce.
    To prove rape, the woman must have (4) male witnesses.
    Often after a woman has been raped, she is returned to her family and the family must return the dowry.  The family has the right to execute her (an honor killing) to restore the honor of the family.  Husbands can beat their wives 'at will' and he does not have to say why he has beaten her.

The husband is permitted to have (4 wives) and a temporary wife for an hour (prostitute) at his discretion.
    The Shariah Muslim law controls the private as well as the public life of the woman.

In the West World ( America ) Muslim men are starting to demand Shariah Law so the wife can not obtain a divorce and he can have full and complete control of her.  It is amazing and alarming how many of our sisters and daughters attending American Universities are now marrying Muslim men and submitting themselves and their children unsuspectingly to the Shariah law.

By passing this on, enlightened American women may avoid becoming a slave under Shariah Law.

Learn More…. Read: Cruel and Usual Punishment just released in most bookstores.

Ripping the West in Two.

Author and lecturer Nonie Darwish says the goal of radical Islamists is to impose Shariah law on the world, ripping Western law and liberty in two.

She recently authored the book, Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law.

Darwish was born in Cairo and spent her childhood in Egypt and Gaza before emigrating to America in 1978, When she was eight years old, her father died while leading covert attacks on Israel He was a high- ranking Egyptian military officer stationed with his family in Gaza.
    When he died, he was considered a “shahid,” a martyr for jihad. His posthumous status earned Nonie and her family an elevated position in Muslim society.

But Darwish developed a skeptical eye at an early age. She questioned her own Muslim culture and upbringing. She converted to Christianity after hearing a Christian preacher on television.
    In her latest book, Darwish warns about creeping sharia law – what it is, what it means, and how it is manifested in Islamic countries.
    For the West, she says radical Islamists are working to impose sharia on the world. If that happens, Western civilization will be destroyed.
    In twenty years there will be enough Muslim voters in the U.S. to elect the President!  I think everyone in the U.S. should be required to read this, but with the ACLU, there is no way this will be widely publicized, unless each of us sends it on!

The first problem with your post is it is not based upon Islam or the Quran, it may be based in cultural fluctuations of society but that is not religion.

In the Quran woman are allowed to be divorced and are in no way slaves of any sort.

In the Quran just like the Bible there is no age particular to marriage, once again it is cultural in America some states say 15 is a good age and some states say 18 but we know that promised marriages are a cultural tradition that has existed before the advent of Islam.

(1) And if they decide upon divorce, then Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.
    ( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #227)

(9) And for divorced women, maintenance (should be provided) on reasonable (scale). This is a duty on Al-Muttaqun (the pious – See V.2:2).
    ( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #241)

It is clear here that divorce on certain grounds is acceptable but as in the NT God does not like divorce.

There is no honor killings in Islam, once agin that may be a cultural phenomenon but it is not Islam nor unique to Arabs in the West The Ku klux klan and other hate groups regularly used to kill white people if they had relations with black people(or other minorities).

But Not in Islam even if the woman deserts the man:

(21) And if any of your wives deserts you to the Unbelievers, and ye have an accession (by the coming over of a woman from the other side), then pay to those whose wives have deserted the equivalent of what they had spent (on their dower). And fear Allah, in Whom ye believe.
    ( سورة الممتحنة , Al-Mumtahana, Chapter #60, Verse #11)

Husbands cannot beat their wives at will in Islam:

(1) Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (Next), refuse to share their beds, (And last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them Means (of annoyance): For Allah is Most High, great (above you all).
    ( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #34)

This is not different than in Christianity

Regarding wives.

(4) A divorce is only permissible twice: after that, the parties should either hold Together on equitable terms, or separate with kindness. It is not lawful for you, (Men), to take back any of your gifts (from your wives), except when both parties fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah. If ye (judges) do indeed fear that they would be unable to keep the limits ordained by Allah, there is no blame on either of them if she give something for her freedom. These are the limits ordained by Allah. so do not transgress them if any do transgress the limits ordained by Allah, such persons wrong (Themselves as well as others).
    ( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #229)

No Honour Killings here.

I hope I have answered your questions.

P.S. Please stay and I invite you to more knowledge.

bodhitharta,

Hey, thanks a lot. I really appreciate your perspective.

When I get these kind of things from neo-con conservative types I want to be cautious. Many of these people are prone to run off to war with people they don't understand. And because they don't understand them, they have an easier time killing them. This is very wrong in my view.

I think historically wars have been fought using this premise. An example would be the Brits calling the French “frogs” or the Americans calling the Japanese “Japs” during the second WW.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 01 2009,17:40)
    bodhitharta,

Hey, thanks a lot.  I really appreciate your perspective.

When I get these kind of things from neo-con conservative types I want to be cautious.  Many of these people are prone to run off to war with people they don't understand.  And because they don't understand them, they have an easier time killing them.  This is very wrong in my view.

I think historically wars have been fought using this premise.  An example would be the Brits calling the French “frogs” or the Americans calling the Japanese “Japs” during the second WW.

Yes, I see your point. If we could discuss our views without the preconceived notions of what a Catholic or a Muslim is “supposed” to be we can avoid the pitfalls of those who have espoused hatred in that direction previously and discuss any benefits or merits that truly address the human condition from a truly spiritual perspective.

Whatever our spiritual background we should address it honestly defending nothing but Honesty and Love towards God.

I know that you believe like many do in the trinity, now that is something that is polytheistic to me but I am also aware that to you it is monotheistic at its core, if from a monotheistic perspective I believe that obedience to the messenger of God is obedience to God or as Jesus said to whom the word was given they were called “god” then I need not be so upset with the belief that you see God as a trinity, but at the same time I must offer clarity if it is the will of God that I do such.

I believe that closeness to God can only be obtained through the belief that God Himself is Sovereign and however you get to Him it is His Unique Nature that makes Him Holy and without comparison, partner or equals

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 01 2009,18:50)

bodhitharta,

When I get these kind of things from neo-con conservative types I want to be cautious.  Many of these people are prone to run off to war with people they don't understand.  And because they don't understand them, they have an easier time killing them.  This is very wrong in my view.

I think historically wars have been fought using this premise.  An example would be the Brits calling the French “frogs” or the Americans calling the Japanese “Japs” during the second WW.

Yes, I see your point. If we could discuss our views without the preconceived notions of what a Catholic or a Muslim is “supposed” to be we can avoid the pitfalls of those who have espoused hatred in that direction previously and discuss any benefits or merits that truly address the human condition from a truly spiritual perspective.

Whatever our spiritual background we should address it honestly defending nothing but Honesty and Love towards God.

I know that you believe like many do in the trinity, now that is something that is polytheistic to me but I am also aware that to you it is monotheistic at its core, if from a monotheistic perspective I believe that obedience to the messenger of God is obedience to God or as Jesus said to whom the word was given they were called “god” then I need not be so upset with the belief that you see God as a trinity, but at the same time I must offer clarity if it is the will of God that I do such.

I believe that closeness to God can only be obtained through the belief that God Himself is Sovereign and however you get to Him it is His Unique Nature that makes Him Holy and without comparison, partner or equals

Thanks for the concession about my monotheism. I know it wasn't entirely easy for you. I may not have to tell you this. But I don't believe that we are monotheistic “at the core” only. We are monotheistic through and through. But further clarity comes when we study the word “essence”. What is the divine “essence”? That essence is one.

Your view of God's sovereignty comes very close to Calvinism in the Christian world I think. (you're Sunni, right?)

Anyhow. I've enjoyed the chat on common ground.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Bodhitharta said to CA:

I know that you believe like many do in the trinity, now that is something that is polytheistic to me but I am also aware that to you it is monotheistic at its core,

Trinitarianism is monotheistic to Muslims:

Some of the biggest misconceptions that many non-Muslims have about Islam have to do with the word “Allah.”  For various reasons, many people have come to believe that Muslims worship a different God than Christians and Jews.  This is totally false, since “Allah” is simply the Arabic word for “God” – and there is only One God.  Let there be no doubt – Muslims worship the God of Noah, Abraham, Moses, David and Jesus – peace be upon them all.  However, it is certainly true that Jews, Christians and Muslims all have different concepts of Almighty God.  For example, Muslims – like Jews – reject the Christian beliefs of the Trinity and the Divine Incarnation.  This, however, does not mean that each of these three religions worships a different God – because, as we have already said, there is only One True God.  Judaism, Christianity and Islam all claim to be “Abrahamic Faiths”, and all of them are also classified as “MONOTHEISTIC.”  However, Islam teaches that other religions have, in one way or another, distorted and nullified a pure and proper belief in Almighty God by neglecting His true teachings and mixing them with man-made ideas.

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/195/

thinker

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 01 2009,20:02)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 01 2009,18:50)

bodhitharta,

Thanks for the concession about my monotheism.  I know it wasn't entirely easy for you.  I may not have to tell you this.  But I don't believe that we are monotheistic “at the core” only.  We are monotheistic through and through.  But further clarity comes when we study the word “essence”.  What is the divine “essence”?  That essence is one.

Your view of God's sovereignty comes very close to Calvinism in the Christian world I think.  (you're Sunni, right?)

Anyhow.  I've enjoyed the chat on common ground.

No I am not Sunni or Shia because I am not Muslim by “religion” I am Muslim by the action of submitting to God, I have been a follower of Christ for over 30 years and then maybe 7 years ago God guided me to The Quran so my views are purely Biblical/Quranic without a cultural filter.

God showed me how all the Holy Scriptures are linked and by understanding them all you can see a much clearer view.

Even looking at history a person can see clearly if they are not prejudiced to the truth for instance the CC Apologized in I believe in the year “2000” about the atrocities it had commited, well the thing about an apology is it also reveals another thing and that is the admission that they were in-fact not being guided by God for why would someone apologize for following God?

Plus we are talking about over 1000 years without this apology so while the apology may have been inspired by God, perhaps it was inspired to show the fallibility of those who called themselves infallible.

I think it is helpful to paste in here the FULL quote you are referring to when you say “apology”. Please paste in the official statement.

Thanks

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 02 2009,05:55)
    I think it is helpful to paste in here the FULL quote you are referring to when you say “apology”.  Please paste in the official statement.

Thanks

Hi, CA

I started to find a full quote of the “apology” when it suddenly hit me or should I say God led me to instead say this:

Do you think there should have been an apology for the inquisition?

If so, why would I need to paste a “Full Quote”?

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 02 2009,08:13)

I think it is helpful to paste in here the FULL quote you are referring to when you say “apology”.  Please paste in the official statement.

Thanks

Hi, CA

I started to find a full quote of the “apology” when it suddenly hit me or should I say God led me to instead say this:

You should paste a full quote so that we can clearly see that you are not slandering, but simply stating what has happened.

And I must ask where you got your history of the Spanish inquisition. Was it from an anti-Catholic source?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi CA,
    The spanish inquisition is common history that you should not shy away from.
    Catholic fruit.

karmarie
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 02 2009,04:14)
    No I am not Sunni or Shia because I am not Muslim by “religion” I am Muslim by the action of submitting to God, I have been a follower of Christ for over 30 years

Bodhitharta! This happened to me, I dont know why but only that I believe I had to learn submission! I live in a society of people who dont act very submissive to God and his will, but their own, so I think I was shown this and it changed me!!!! I never read the Quran but I learned submission, I removed all images from my home, I learned how to treat animals, and how to be humble to others, to lower myself rather than head held high sort of thing,

I believe when God works with people he shows each individual things and for some it is different because we all have different faults, or callings and if we are willing, God can lead us.

I was shown what I had to be shown, and that was all. I never became a Muslim. I couldnt say Jesus was not the son of God! But I am gratefull for what I was shown.

Blessings.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 02 2009,09:53)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 02 2009,08:13)

Thanks

Hi, CA

You should paste a full quote so that we can clearly see that you are not slandering, but simply stating what has happened.

And I must ask where you got your history of the Spanish inquisition.  Was it from an anti-Catholic source?

I thought I'd post this instead:

Apologies by Pope John Paul II
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Pope John Paul II on 12 August 1993 in Denver (Colorado)This article contains expanded biography‘ information about Pope John Paul II.
    Pope John Paul II reigned as pope of the Roman Catholic Church and sovereign of Vatican City for almost 27 years.

Apologies

Pope John Paul II made many apologies. During his long reign as Pope, he said ‘sorry’ to Jews, Galileo, women, victims of the Inquisition, Muslims slaughtered by the Crusaders and almost everyone who had suffered at the hands of the Catholic Church through the years.[1] Even before he became the Pope, he was a prominent editor and supporter of initiatives like the Letter of Reconciliation of the Polish Bishops to the German Bishops from 1965. As Pope, he officially made public apologies for over 100 of these wrongdoings, including:

The conquest of Mesoamerica by Spain in the name of the Church
    The legal process on the Italian scientist and philosopher Galileo Galilei, himself a devout Catholic, around 1633 (31 October 1992).
    Catholics' involvement with the African slave trade (9 August 1993).
    The Church Hierarchy's role in burnings at the stake and the religious wars that followed the Protestant Reformation (May 1995, in the Czech Republic).
    The injustices committed against women, the violation of women's rights and for the historical denigration of women (10 July 1995, in a letter to “every woman”).
    The inactivity and silence of many Catholics during the Holocaust (see the article Religion in Nazi Germany) (16 March 1998)
    For the execution of Jan Hus in 1415 (18 December 1999 in Prague). When John Paul II visited Prague in 1990s, he requested experts in this matter “to define with greater clarity the position held by Jan Hus among the Church's reformers, and acknowledged that “independently of the theological convictions he defended, Hus cannot be denied integrity in his personal life and commitment to the nation's moral education.” It was another step in building a bridge between Catholics and Protestants.
    For the sins of Catholics throughout the ages for violating “the rights of ethnic groups and peoples, and [for showing] contempt for their cultures and religious traditions”. (12 March 2000, during a public Mass of Pardons).
    For the sins of the Crusader attack on Constantinople in 1204. (4 May 2001, to the Patriarch of Constantinople).

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” ”
    —Pope John Paul II [2]

If any of this is false just let me know, it seems to me “he” was a good Christian who exposed a history of false religion, so what do you do when the Sovereign leader tells you that his religion has been severely misguided which would mean all of its judgements have not been guided by God and since you believe that the Bible is not the main Authority in the Catholic Church, Who was running the Church if not the scripture or a God guided Pope? Is it Possible that Satan was allowed to deceive them, according to the Popes Apology it seems to be the case and remember they made excuse after excuse

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.” ”
    —Pope John Paul II [2]

These are all significant events. Could you be bothered, though, to find the actual words made by Pope John Paul II. I think in a place like this, we all deserve source material….like I have provided for the embarrasing history of the JW's and their many false prophecies.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (karmarie @ Sep. 02 2009,10:13)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Sep. 02 2009,04:14)
    No I am not Sunni or Shia because I am not Muslim by “religion” I am Muslim by the action of submitting to God, I have been a follower of Christ for over 30 years

Bodhitharta! This happened to me, I dont know why but only that I believe I had to learn submission! I live in a society of people who dont act very submissive to God and his will, but their own, so I think I was shown this and it changed me!!!! I never read the Quran but I learned submission, I removed all images from my home, I learned how to treat animals, and how to be humble to others, to lower myself rather than head held high sort of thing,

I believe when God works with people he shows each individual things and for some it is different because we all have different faults, or callings and if we are willing, God can lead us.

I was shown what I had to be shown, and that was all. I never became a Muslim. I couldnt say Jesus was not the son of God! But I am gratefull for what I was shown.

Blessings.

Wow! That is incredible! I think it my case the Quran was shown to me because I love to read alot! and I had studied the Bible for like over 30 years and was well aquainted with all the figures and their stories so with me reading the Quran was an amazing experience because I had started being able to link up all this information and achieving stunning clarity. I have actuall only been to a Mosque twice and just like your home is now there was no images and I experienced everything you explained in your post. Me and my wife treat our home like a Mosque so we pray together and apart, we pray before we eat and after we eat “lest we get Full and forget the lord”

The first time I read in the Quran that Jesus was not the son of God I almost freaked out but then God gave me a new understanding in the context of what was occuring at that time. As you know in the bible “begetting” is a sexual act and to say God sired a child as we would is to belittle God's Majesty and Power but many at that time in the 7th century uttered such things even insulting Mary as if she had not been a Virgin or as if God took her virginity.

So the Quran says that Jesus is a Spirit that proceeded from God and a Word:

(1) O people of the Scripture (Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth. The Messiah 'Îsa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allah and His Word, (“Be!” – and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Ruh ) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not: “Three (trinity)!” Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allah is (the only) One Ilah (God), glory be to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is All-Sufficient as a Disposer of affairs.
    ( سورة النساء , An-Nisa, Chapter #4, Verse #171)

So, to clarify that God does not do what we do and His ways are higher than ours the Quran clarifies the point not to belittle Jesus but to back up what Jesus says when he calls “The Father” The One True God. also God has just revealed to me this and I never thought of it before but Jesus said call no man Father

Matthew 23:8-10 (New King James Version)
    8 But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your Teacher, the Christ,[a] and you are all brethren. 9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

So remember at this time all priests were and still are being called “Father” there is no such thing in Islam(There is no clergy at all) There is no pastor or preacher at a Mosque there may be a guess speaker but all are brethren and everyone prays to God directly just like Jesus said he wanted:

John 16:25-27 (New King James Version)

Jesus Christ Has Overcome the World

25 “These things I have spoken to you in figurative language; but the time is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figurative language, but I will tell you plainly about the Father. 26 In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I shall pray the Father for you; 27 for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me, and have believed that I came forth from God.

You really have to understand the climate in which the Quran was delivered, You have People claiming to have the authority of God on earth they have Called themselves Father and Mother and they have called their leader HOLY FATHER

As we know God called Jesus up to sit at his right side while God puts the enemies of Jesus under his feet and the instrument of this was Islam.

What impresses me the most about you and others that I have heard the same thing from is that you didn't learn it from a book because God wrote it on your heart. God wanted me to not only have it wriiten on my heart but to be able to expound it for the sake of love.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 02 2009,11:31)
    These are all significant events.  Could you be bothered, though, to find the actual words made by Pope John Paul II.  I think in a place like this, we all deserve source material….like I have provided for the embarrasing history of the JW's and their many false prophecies.

I tell you what, I'll believe whatever you tell me, so either tell me that these things didn't happen or there was nothing to apologize for. It's really quite simple and you know your religion better than I do so if they never apologized for any of the things mentioned just say so and I'll believe you.

I don't want to “embarrass” Catholics or anyone else, I want us to reason together and unveil the truth.

“begetting” is a sexual act and to say God sired a child as we would is to belittle God's Majesty and Power but many at that time in the 7th century uttered such things even insulting Mary as if she had not been a Virgin or as if God took her virginity.

This is actually not what the Church means when it uses monogenes (begotten). We have always confessed Mary Ever-Virgin. If God took her virginity, we could not confess this.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Sep. 02 2009,12:25)

“begetting” is a sexual act and to say God sired a child as we would is to belittle God's Majesty and Power but many at that time in the 7th century uttered such things even insulting Mary as if she had not been a Virgin or as if God took her virginity.

This is actually not what the Church means when it uses monogenes (begotten).  We have always confessed Mary Ever-Virgin.  If God took her virginity, we could not confess this.

There was a combination of beliefs at that time The Jews to deny Jesus were the ones saying that Mary had simply had sex to birth Jesus and Catholics were insisting that God made a child with her both sounding blasphemous to each other. The Quran says that Mary was a Virgin and did have a child created by God but then puts perspective on it by saying God created Jesus or spoke Jesus into her womb by a command and not an act of begetting but in a stunning literary clarity says that God said “Be” and Jesus was “Be” Gotten and the word became Flesh and dwelt among men.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 158 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account