Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 1,721 through 1,740 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To all….. There are scriptures where the FATHER was Speaking (First Person) through Jesus. The one mentioned above and the one where it says “destory this temple and in three days i will raise it up”, and where it says “ALL the ever came before me were liars and thieves.” IMO.

love and peace to you all…………………………..gene

NickHassan
    Participant

GB,
    We must be yoked to Jesus.
    He is the Lord and Master and the teacher.

“without me you can do nothing”

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……Trust me on this, we must be YOKED with THE FATHER Just like Jesus is. The yoke on Jesus is the SAME Yoke that Should be on us.

peace and love…………………………….gene

NickHassan
    Participant

GB,
    Jesus called it MY YOKE but you disagree and would like to establish your own relationship with the Father and not the Son?

1Jn1
    3That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……The yoke on Jesus is the same Yoke that is to be on Us also , Look at what you quoted , “And truly our fellowship is with the FATHER, (AND) with His Son Jesus Christ. Same Yoke same Fellowship Brother.

peace and love……………………………………..gene

meerkat
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Feb. 05 2009,12:17)
    Nick……The yoke on Jesus is the same Yoke that is to be on Us also , Look at what you quoted , “And truly our fellowship is with the FATHER, (AND) with His Son Jesus Christ. Same Yoke same Fellowship Brother.

peace and love……………………………………..gene

True!! Born of the Spirit ……. Jesus firstborn and the head ………

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Baptism is of water in the name of Jesus and done by his brothers.[acts]
    He is the only one who can baptise in the Spirit.[jn]

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…….The baptism of the Spirit is given from the FATHER and poured out on Us. For the days are coming when I GOD) shall pour forth of MY SPIRIT upon all flesh. According to Peter that happened at the day of Pentecost. Jesus Himself was baptized with that same spirit in the Jordan it descended down on Him like a dove. That the baptism that give new life to all who have it, its from God the FATHER HIMSELF>IMO

peace and love to you and yours…………………………………gene

david
    Participant

Gene,
    Amen brother! But many still want to live under the old covenant.

–thinker

David,
    Jesus said [at mat 28:19,20] that he would be with them until the conclusion of the system of things. Jesus was talking about the conclusion of the old covenant.

–THINKER

I'm curious when you think the old covenant ended and when the new covenant began.
    I don't think Jesus was talking about the conclusion of the “old covenant.” I believe he didn't use that word. Anyway, I believe the old covenant ended before he said those words anyway. Hence, he could not be talking about that during his last words on earth.

“who has indeed adequately qualified us to be ministers of a new covenant, not of a written code, but of spirit; for the written code condemns to death, but the spirit makes alive.”–2 cor 3:6

HEBREWS 8:6
    “But now [Jesus] has obtained a more excellent public service, so that he is also the mediator of a correspondingly better covenant, which has been legally established upon better promises.”

HEB 8:13
    “In his saying “a new [covenant]” he has made the former one obsolete.”

kerwin
    Participant

To anyone who is concerned,

I am convinced this discussion about covenants is more appropriate in the covenants thread so I posted to David there.

KangarooJack
    Participant

David said:

-THINKER I'm curious when you think the old covenant ended and when the new covenant began.
    I don't think Jesus was talking about the conclusion of the “old covenant.”  I believe he didn't use that word.  Anyway, I believe the old covenant ended before he said those words anyway. Hence, he could not be talking about that during his last words on earth.

David,
    Jesus referred to at least two ages. Remember when he said that the man who committed blasphemy against the Spirit can never have forgiveness in THIS age nor  in the AGE TO COME? The expression “this age” was the old covenant age and was the age Jesus was referring to when He said “I will be with you , even unto the end of the age”. The “age to come” was the new covenat age that continues til today. The  disciples would have to be alive at the end of that first age. How could Jesus have said that he would be with them to the end of the age if they were to die long before the end of the age?

two parts to the atoning work. According to the law of Moses the animal had to be slain and then the blood of the animal put into a basin. The high priest was then required to sprinkle the blood on the altar of the tabernacle.

Jesus was the Lamb slain for His people. So part 1 was finished. Then he had to enter the heavenly sanctuary and sprinkle the blood on the altar (figuratively of course) and complete part 2. Accordig to Ezekiel 43 the atonement was NOT completed until the blood of the animal was sprinkled on the altar. So the atoning work of Christ was NOT completed until He sprinkled His blood on the altar of the heavenly taberncale (Heb. chaps 8-10).

So the new covenant was fully instituted when Christ completed that intercessory work of the sprinkling of His blood. And according to Heb. 9 the destruction of the earthly tabernacle was the SIGN that God would give them undicating that the heavenly intercession had been completed. We know that the temple was destroyed in ad70. That was the SIGN that the new covenant had been fully instituted. Therefore, the new covenant age began in ad70.

But up until then believers had to be baptized because the true baptism by Christ's blood had not been completed.

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    Jesus said this after his resurrection which began the new age.

I believe that Christ is with his servants in Spirit till the next millenial age when he is with them physically as King of kings.
    Eph2
    6And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Then too in the following age when the kingdom is handed back to god.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Nick:

Jesus said this after his resurrection which began the new age.

Where did Jesus say that the new age began with His resurrection? Hebrews 9 says that the destruction of the earthly tabernacle was the “sign” that the new order had come

…the Holy Spirit signifying this, that the way into the Holiest of all was not yet made manifest while the first tabernacle was still standing. it was symbolic for the present time in which both gifts and sacrifices are offered which cannot make him who performed the service perfect in regard to conscience, concerned with only foods and drinks, various baptisms, and external ordinances until the time of the new order (or age) (Heb. 9:9-10).

The renting of the veil  while Christ was on the cross was the “sign” that Jesus had free access to go into the heavenly sanctuary to complete the atonement. So the destruction of the tabernacle itself was the “sign” to God's people that the atonement was completed and that they had free access to God. In the meantime they had to be baptized with water UNTIL they became altogether clean by the sprinkling of His blood.

The taberncale was destroyed when the temple was destroyed in ad70. Therefore, the new covenant age was fully instituted then. It is not possible that the new covenant age began with Christ's resurrection. Jesus had to ascend to the heavenly taberncale and accomplish the second part of the atoning work.

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    Jesus said in mt26
    27And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you;

28for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Thinker asked Nick:

Where did Jesus say that the new age began with His resurrection?

Nick replied:

Jesus said in mt26
    27And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you;

28for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins.

Nick,
    First, I fail to see how the verse you provided proves that the new covenant age began with the resurrection. Second, the expression “new covenant in My blood” would include the sprinkling in the heavenly sanctuary. The law of Moses required this and Ezekiel repeated it,

These are the ordinances for the altar on the day it is made, for sacrifice burnt offerings on it, and for the sprinkling blood on it. You shall take a young bull for a sin offering to the priests, the Levites, who are of the house of Zadok, who approach Me to minister to me, says the LORD God. You shall take some of its blood and put it on the four horns of the altar, on the four corners of the ledge, and on the rim around it; thus you shall CLEANSE it and make ATONEMENT for it (Ezek 43:18-20).

So the sprinkling of the bull's blood on the altar is what actually made the atonement. Jesus knew the law of Moses. He knew that the mere spilling of His blood alone was not what accomplished the atonement. He knew that the blood had to be applied. It had always been that way. Only those who had blood applied on their door posts escaped the plague in Egypt.

Therefore, when Jesus said “this is the new covenant in My blood” He was looking forward to fulfilling the law of Moses by the sprinkling of it on the altar of the heavenly tabernacle. IT WAS THE SPRINKLING OF THE BLOOD THAT ACCOMPLISHED THE ATONEMENT. AND WITHOUT THE SPRINKLING THERE IS NO NEW COVENANT AT ALL!

Speaking about the high priest's entrance into the Holy of Holies Hebrews says this,

…and behind the second veil, the part of the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all…the high priest entered…alone once per year NOT without blood (Heb. 9:1-7)

So Jesus also entered the heavenly Holy of Holies NOT without blood.

To the pilgrim's of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the spirit, for obedience and the sprinkling of the blood of Jesus (1 Peter 1:1-2)

Honestly Nick, your reference to Christ's “new covenant in My blood” statement lends no support whatsoever for your theory that the new covenant age began with Christ's resurrection. The atonement was not completed until He entered the heavenly sanctuary and sprinkled His blood on the altar. When that was accomplished the new covenant age came and God's people no longer needed to wash their bodies with water. Water baptism was displaced. Their bodies had been washed by the “pure water” of Jesus' blood (Heb. 10:22).

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    So Jesus proclaimed the new covenant after his resurrection.
    He shared the cup there and then with his brothers.
    Paul reinforced it's meaning in 1Cor 10
    ” 16The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

17For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

18Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar?

19What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing?

20But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

21Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. “

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    Ephesians 3:5
    Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

So the Spirit was revealing things to the apostles and prophets.
    That Spirit is the Spirit of Christ so it could be said that the anointing of Jesus Christ began the age.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    But the Spirit of life was not poured out on the sons of God till Jesus returned to heaven.
    Since the life is in the blood the thought that the new covenant began then is worth testing.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    The age before Jesus required certain ceremonial washings showing in type baptisms but there is no indication in the teachings of the apostles that baptism in water is no longer required in this age.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……….there are Physical things for the Canal Minds and there a Spiritual things for the Spiritual minds. Trying to mix the two doesn't work Nick. The baptism of Christ is what is need for all who are being saved. IMO

Viewing 20 posts - 1,721 through 1,740 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account