Is baptism needed for salvation?

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 4,344 total)
  • Author
    gollamudi
    Participant

So you don't accept Baptism in the Spirit as the one Baptism?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Read the scriptures for yourself.
    We are one in Spirit and united by submission to the demand of God to be reborn of water.

Irene
    Participant

The question is, is water Baptism as important as of the Spirit. Being submerged in water I believe is a outside sign of wanting to become like Christ. We receive the Holy Spirit by laying on of Hands by a Minister. Both are important and we should do both. I have always asked this question of members of the Baptist Church, why the Minister does not lay hands on a person at Baptism? Nobody could answer me. When we were Baptized the Minister did. I have said this before, that the day after my Baptism was amazing. God showed me over and ever again my faults, which I was not even aware of. Question remains would that have happened if the Minister would not have laid hands on us, and we received the Holy Spirit. So do you receive the Holy Spirit at water Baptism or not? The reason I asked because it says I Baptize you ” In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
    In Christian Love Irene

Irene
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 25 2008,16:35)
    Hi GM,
    We are one in Spirit and united by submission to the demand of God to be reborn of water.

Nick which Scripture is that?

Not3in1
    Participant

Irene,

I know this is hotly debated, but I did not receive the “Holy Spirit” at baptism that I was aware of (I was baptized at age 9).  I received it many years later with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Hi GM,

Nick…..where is that exactly stated just as you are saying, especially where it says we are (reborn) by water baptism. if thats what your implying it says.

I think your twisting the scriptures again.

gene

Irene
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 25 2008,16:42)
    Irene,

I know this is hotly debated, but I did not receive the “Holy Spirit” at baptism that I was aware of (I was baptized at age 9).  I received it many years later with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

Mandy! How did you receive the Holy Spirit? Did the Minister lay Hands on you?
    Irene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    My point is that we should not change scripture to make it state there is only one baptism when Hebrews 6 clearly of more. It is not correctly dividing scripture to do so. We do not have to resort to making choices based only on our personal opinion because all baptisms are true.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Irene @ June 25 2008,16:48)

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 25 2008,16:42)
    Irene,

Mandy! How did you receive the Holy Spirit? Did the Minister lay Hands on you?
    Irene

Actually no Pastor laid hands on me, but I did have many fellow believer's praying for me.

I remember my mother telling me a story of how she received the Spirit by praying in the kitchen!

Irene
    Participant

Hebrew 6:2 says the doctrine of baptism, and of laying on of hands, or resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgement. So both is required in order to go by Scripture.
    So what happens to those that did not have the laying on of hands. Did they or did they not receive the Holy Spirit. It is still not very clear in my mind, since at water Baptism we are baptized in the name of the Father etc.
    In Christian Love Irene

Not3in1
    Participant

Hi Sis,

Peter tells us that THOUSANDS were “added to their numbers daily of those who were being saved….” I sincerely doubt that they could lay hands on every one?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    I agree .
    And you would have to state that water baptism is not true baptism.

Irene
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 25 2008,17:08)
    Hi Sis,

Peter tells us that THOUSANDS were “added to their numbers daily of those who were being saved….” I sincerely doubt that they could lay hands on every one?

I only gave you Sciptures that Nick pointed out. And that is what it says. I don't know how those thousands were added.
    Irene

Not3in1
    Participant

I believe they were added because they believed…….and then they were baptized. To my memory, there is nothing mentioned about receiving the holy spirit at that time?

Irene
    Participant

In closing I like to say this. Water Baptism I believe is an outside sign to become a Christian. When we receive the Holy Spirit we receive Jesus and the Father. They have made Their abode with us. Now we also understand the things of God. We are the Temple of God. We are able to overcome and draw closer to Christ and our Heavenly Father. That is what God wants, I believe.
    In Christian Love Irene

gollamudi
    Participant

Hi GM,

Hi Nick,
    Your way of telling that “we are born of water” is equalent to water Baptism is some thing funny. No one is born of water Baptism, my friend but by the symbolic water of the word of God. And also I will tell you that Jesus' words to Nicodemus regarding born of water or of flesh is about the natural birth there is no link to water Baptism here.
    Take care
    Adam

Not3in1
    Participant

1 John 5:7 talks about the three that testify of Jesus. The water, the blood and the Spirit. I've taken this to mean that Jesus was born of the flesh (water), firstborn of the dead (blood) and given approval of his Father (Spirit).

So, I agree with you Adam that the “water” is referring to the flesh, imo.
    Mandy

gollamudi
    Participant

Amen my Sis, let our brother Nick also realise this. I always stress on this because Jesus' natural body is the first not the Spiritual body which he got at his resurrection. That clears the ambiguity of preexistence. IMO
    Love to you
    Adam

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GM,
    Natural birth?
    The waters of childbirth?

Can you tell me of anyone who has not been born of water then?
    Why is it specified then?
    Perhaps those who have a caesarean do not qualify?

What next!!

gollamudi
    Participant

Please read the words of Jesus to Nicodemus in Jn 3:3-8,
    See the parallelism in the words “born of water and of spirit” as well as “born of flesh and of spirit”. I believe jesus is talking about two births ; one is of the water or of the flesh and the second of the spirit. Not as many think that he was talking about water Baptism and Spirit baptism. IMO

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 4,344 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account