Internet forums

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    dew
    Participant

Hi.
    I would like to ask a question to all members here.
    Are the Internet forums any good for your faith?
    Is debating over the meaning of things as believers good for you?

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Dew,

Very good. In the systems of religion, all you will get is the same regurgitated stuff over and over again.
    Here you will hear thing that you have never heard and consider things you have never considered.

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    holycitybiblecode.org

dew
    Participant

Hi EdJ.
    But ive been on Internet forums for (a while now) and I cant keep up with the things they say sometimes, and people fight and it becomes a battle of this v that. And….I was wondering, what were you like before you started posting on forums, I mean as a person? Has it helped you EdJ?
    Looking forward to your answer, thanks.

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 23 2012,19:26)
    Hi EdJ.
    But ive been on Internet forums for (a while now) and I cant keep up with the things they say sometimes, and people fight and it becomes a battle of this v that. And….I was wondering, what were you like before you started posting on forums, I mean as a person? Has it helped you EdJ?
    Looking forward to your answer, thanks.

Hi Dew,

Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.
    Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
    unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

I have been perfect(sin free) for a long time now(1John 5:18) and I have been posting
    on Internet forums ever since I have written the free e-book called “Holy City Bible Code”,
    which documents the proof of God's existence. I have been sharing this information with all.

God bless
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 23 2012,19:26)
    Hi EdJ.

Has it helped you EdJ?

Hi Dew,

I would say it has been a benefit.

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

dew
    Participant

Hi Ed. Thanks for that, you are really nice.
    You say, in regards to forums, that it has been a benefit to you.
    Ok, so in which way do you think it has been a benefit?

Do you think that people on forums are losing their faith (and belief).
    Despite still posting on them?

seekingtruth
    Participant

Dew,
    I have found that in many ways being here has done wonders as God has used this forum to challenge me and as I've stated many times “now I know what it is that I believe and why I believe it” (priceless). But I also believe there are far too many arguments over non-critical issues, but even where there is cause to stay engaged the arguments are quite often “venomous” totally lacking in the love that is supposed to define us.

When I was signing up here I felt God wanted me to use 2 Tim. 2:14-15 as my signature which confused me at the time but now I see it as a calling of sorts. Because I do believe that unending arguments hurt those participating but can ruin those watching from the sidelines.

My opinion – Wm

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 23 2012,23:10)
    Hi Ed. Thanks for that, you are really nice.
    You say, in regards to forums, that it has been a benefit to you.
    Ok, so in which way do you think it has been a benefit?

Do you think that people on forums are losing their faith (and belief).
    Despite still posting on them?

Hi Dew,

I have seen people mostly complain when their view is not accepted as truth.
    They fall prey into believing that their view is somehow equal to or even above
    the Scriptures themselves (in many cases). This should not be cause for them to
    loose their faith? faith in what, themselves? Chaff grows together with the wheat.

How have these forums been a benefit to me? In two ways:
    One way is that they provide a platform to publicize expose.
    “That which had not been told them shall they see; and that
    which they had not heard shall they consider.” (Isaiah 52:15)

Another is that they provide me the opportunity to gather more
    information on things that I have not considered. Truly a blessing.

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

dew
    Participant

Hi Edj thankyou.
    I was just wondering, cause I notice a thread called 'Trinity' and another 'Preexistence', and another…. 'Do spirits have bodies' and…. 'Firstborn of/over all creation', and 'Examination of the incarnation doctrine'…. and 'Myth of free will'….

just one category. The ones I mention have had thousands (or almost thousands) of replies.  

I saw the same people had posted all the way through.
    I find it amazing that people can go over the same thing… for so long.

??

It's like being stuck in something. Is it any good for those who post?
    Could it be more of a fixation on a person, a topic, or something?

I have been on other forums, and seen this.  

So is this REALLY what Jesus wants us to do – go on forums and debate for years over nonsence?

How is it helping?

PLEASE help me understand,
    Thankyou EdJ.

dew
    Participant

Hi Seeking thankyou.

So what would you say is the biggest thing you have learnt then, being on forums.
    I mean about forums themselves, and people?

seekingtruth
    Participant

Dew,
    I did a few posts on another site last year but other than that this is the only site I've posted on since I started over 6 years ago. At first it seemed a friendlier place although it's possible it is me that has changed. There are people here truly looking for truth, but there are many just looking for an argument, they like arguing, and they like winning, it seems at any cost with a few. I have been surprised on a few occasions by acts of humility shown by some posters and unfortunately less surprised by acts of arrogance by others.

I have posted very little in the last six years, considering I doubt there are very many days that go by where I don't check in multiple times. I'm looking, waiting for a new topic where I might be able to participate and have open discussion on what scripture says, instead of rehashing items for years on end responding with the same argument posted every few pages.

Why do I stay, because I have grown, I keep a log of what I believe and it is under constant change as I learn more, not so much from others but mostly from the study's I do before I do a post. That's why I now know what I believe and why I believe it because I have thoroughly studied it for myself not just accepting it because someone told me so.

I believe truth is not given, it must be sought after, and I believe this site has helped me with that.

Wm

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 24 2012,14:14)
    Hi Edj thankyou.
    I was just wondering, cause I notice a thread called 'Trinity' and another 'Preexistence', and another…. 'Do spirits have bodies' and…. 'Firstborn of/over all creation', and 'Examination of the incarnation doctrine'…. and 'Myth of free will'….

just one category. The ones I mention have had thousands (or almost thousands) of replies.  

I saw the same people had posted all the way through.
    I find it amazing that people can go over the same thing… for so long.

??

It's like being stuck in something. Is it any good for those who post?
    Could it be more of a fixation on a person, a topic, or something?

I have been on other forums, and seen this.  

So is this REALLY what Jesus wants us to do – go on forums and debate for years over nonsence?

How is it helping?

PLEASE help me understand,
    Thankyou EdJ.

Hi Dew,
                           I will, if you stick around.

Take the trinity thread for example: there are some that say
    there is no such thing as a trinity, while others believe there is.

In the trinity thread, I see both sides try to discredit each others view
    in an attempt to prove that their view is the correct one. The reason that
    this goes on for years is because there are elements of truth to both sides.
    In the tread: Trinity and non-Trinity, can both views be correct? I illustrate that.

God bless
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Mar. 24 2012,15:47)
    Dew,

I'm looking, waiting for a new topic where I might be able to participate and have open discussion on what scripture says,
    instead of rehashing items for years on end responding with the same argument posted every few pages.  

Wm

Hi Wm,

I've recently come to the understanding of what the red dragon of Rev.12:3 is all about.
    If you are interested in Prophecy, please come and join in on this discussion at this link.

Your brother
    in Christ, Jesus.
    holycitybiblecode.org

dew
    Participant

Hi Seeking thankyou for you post it was well said.

and EdJ too.
    The 'Trinity and non Trinity can both views be correct' thread seems interesting, you have some good looking posts.
    I might take a look. (better look).

As for forums….

1)  Reading too much on a computer kind of gets at the eyes.
    2)  Imagine the perfect environment (of people).

I think its one of humility and meekness…
    kindness, lowliness.

Philipians 2:3  Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Collosians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

1 Peter 3:8  Finally, be ye all likeminded, compassionate, loving as brethren, tenderhearted, humbleminded.

ok, im finished now…. i hav a short term attention span….
    (Is there a solved button).

See you round on the forum EdJ and Seeking.
    Nice talking to you.
    Thankyou.

Proclaimer
    Participant

dew.

People generally communicate differently on the Web than they do face to face and even on the phone.
    This is both good and bad. Good in the sense that you can speak your mind easier and talk about subjects that might be taboo face to face. But bad when people abuse others when they would not do that to the person face to face.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (dew @ Mar. 24 2012,21:21)
    Hi Seeking thankyou for you post it was well said.

and EdJ too.
    The 'Trinity and non Trinity can both views be correct' thread seems interesting, you have some good looking posts.
    I might take a look. (better look).

As for forums….

1)  Reading too much on a computer kind of gets at the eyes.
    2)  Imagine the perfect environment (of people).

I think its one of humility and meekness…
    kindness, lowliness.

Philipians 2:3  Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.

Collosians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

1 Peter 3:8  Finally, be ye all likeminded, compassionate, loving as brethren, tenderhearted, humbleminded.

ok, im finished now…. i hav a short term attention span….
    (Is there a solved button).

See you round on the forum EdJ and Seeking.
    Nice talking to you.
    Thankyou.

for most people I find it would be harmful unless you really are seeking something new to learn or you truly feel you have something of value to share or teach, for instance I share information on Islam and the Quran not so much as to convert anyone but in order that a person is not prejudice out of ignorance but at the end of the day keeping your life as simple as possible focusing on the fruits of the Spirit is the best path

Ecclesiastes 12:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Ed J
    Participant

BD said:

at the end of the day keeping your life as simple as possible focusing on the fruits of the Spirit is the best path

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    Meekness, temperance: not murder and butchery like Mo taught. (see Gal 5:22-23)

B'shem, יהוה (YÄ-hä-vā)
    עד (Ed) (Joshua 22:34)

dew
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Mar. 24 2012,21:38)
    dew.

People generally communicate differently on the Web than they do face to face and even on the phone.
    This is both good and bad. Good in the sense that you can speak your mind easier and talk about subjects that might be taboo face to face. But bad when people abuse others when they would not do that to the person face to face.

Hi T8.
    Maybe its peoples true colors coming out.

dew
    Participant

bodhitharta,Mar. wrote:

Ecclesiastes 12:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Bodhitharta great scriptures :)

toby
    Participant

Hi Dew.
    My thoughts on the topic question are similar to t8's.

However, it is far more difficult to bring an idea over to another in a forum, because communication context is lost in writing (Word stress, I flexes, etc) – yes, they can be simulated with Bold type or Capitals etc, but then it is up to the reader to interpret it right.

However, yes, writing can be used as a shield against timid speaking, but not against faulty logic. The timid speaker can take time to craft their thoughts – the faulty logic is there forever for all to see later.

You are right to quote about the 'Conclusion'. It seems to me that those who are at fault with their ideology, do not seek 'a conclusion' to their ideology but only to keep it running.

Why is the topic repeated over and over, with the same person who seems impotent to move it forward, nor add to it, nor able to properly explain their ideology.

For instance, (on one Forum), I have asked for clarification on certain matters. None has been offered, yet they continue to post their ideology. Why, because the forum allows them to NOT answer, until the question is lost by others wading in with muddying waters.

In real life, face to face, the questioned person could be locked off in that explicit point, until they answered or withdraw the point.

Forums are like the Debate chambers that Greeks in the days of Jesus used to indulge in as their daily entertainment – for some it was their life – Jesus warned against them, as they delved too deeply in the minutiae of everything (What, today, we praise as being honourable about them in their inventions and discoveries!)

It can be seen, how too much analysis of words and meanings and redefinitions of definitions Of words, becomes misleading to the original question.

But the question needs to be asked: to whose advantage is it to redefine a definition? Or, in fact, refuse to define in commonly known terms, a word or phrase or term, which is the central point of the topic?

Why would someone NOT want to agree the definition, in common terms, of a word or term. The forum allows for a poster to scuttle away from answering such questions.

Imagine a building with many discussion/debating rooms. In one particular room a topic is being discussed. There are several people in that room:
    1) Could a question be asked by one, where no answer was forthcoming, because at the same time others are asking their own questions?
    2) Would their likely be a Moderator/Judge in that room who was not also one of the questioners (A moderator/Judge cannot adequately also be a questioner else he will be prejudiced against others but 'for' himself!!)

So,
    – measure your own time to be in a forum against what you get out of it
    – ask yourself if you think the forum is being moderated properly and there are no prejudices by the moderator
    – only participate in threads where you feel comfortable
    – don't post in a thread just to antagonise another but make your posts seeking positive outcomes
    – accept where you are wrong (or did you join the forum to teach a fixed ideology?)
    – know that it is 'Ok' to be wrong if you then 'adopt and attain to' the new learnt truth!
    – don't argue against true Scriptures else you are arguing against God!!
    – keep away from those who are deliberate in themselves – against such you will always be in contention, as their intent is for contention, and you are only therefore feeding their intent
    – if you feel you have a truth – keep on and in with those of similar beliefs, or who appear to be coming round to that belief, but make sure your belief is TRUE, else who commit a greater sin!!!

Dew, hope this helps in whole or in part.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account