Humility and meekness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    shimmer
    Participant

Proverbs 16:18,19 – Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly.

Pride; arrogance; ego; self-exaltation; selfish ambition; divisions; fights and arguments; jealousy and envy – those who chose to distance themselves feel left out especially when they try to join in, causing a falling away, causing those who need care to be neglected. All the things the scriptures warn against.

“You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me”.

With all the [pointless] arguments going on here, is anyone actually learning anything  

Matthew 11:29,30 – Jesus said, “I am meek and lowly in heart.”

Definitions:

Meekness

The best way to find the true meaning to this word is to study scripture. Meekness is an attitude or quality of heart [1 Peter 3:4] whereby a person willingly accepts and submits without resistance to the will and desires of someone else. The meek person is not self-willed – not continuously concerned with self, his own ways, ideas, and wishes. He is willing to put himself in second place and submit himself to achieve what is good for others. Meekness is the opposite of self-will, self-interest, and self-assertiveness.
    This is a sign, not of weakness of character [as some think], but of strength. It requires great self-control to submit to others.

Humility

This is an attitude or quality of mind [Acts 20:19] whereby a person holds low esteem or opinion of his own goodness and importance. Spiritually, one abases himself because he realizes his sinfulness and therefore he is willing to depend on God to meet His needs. It is the opposite of pride, haughtiness, and self-exaltation.

A humble or lowly person is not one often recognized in a crowd

Proclaimer
    Participant

A great and timely message.

Thanks shimmer.

To all who happen to read this, please take this seriously.

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 29 2010,11:11)
    A great and timely message.

Thanks shimmer.

To all who happen to read this, please take this seriously.

Skimmer! Those that are humble are not those that are members of H.N. Here we debate the Scriptures. And sometimes it gets hairy… Should we be that way, of course not. But human pride, etc. won't let most be that way…. All want to be right. Including myself at times…..That is why we need someone like you to remind us of it…..Thank you….May God be with You…..Irene

shimmer
    Participant

Hi, thank you, I have more to put here [later – however]

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ July 29 2010,09:17)
    Proverbs 16:18,19 – Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall. It is better to be of a humble spirit with the lowly.

Pride; arrogance; ego; self-exaltation; selfish ambition; divisions; fights and arguments; jealousy and envy – those who chose to distance themselves feel left out especially when they try to join in, causing a falling away, causing those who need care to be neglected. All the things the scriptures warn against.

“You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and these are they which testify about me”.

With all the [pointless] arguments going on here, is anyone actually learning anything  

Definitions:

Meekness

The best way to find the true meaning to this word is to study scripture. Meekness is an attitude or quality of heart [1 Peter 3:4] whereby a person willingly accepts and submits without resistance to the will and desires of someone else. The meek person is not self-willed – not continuously concerned with self, his own ways, ideas, and wishes. He is willing to put himself in second place and submit himself to achieve what is good for others. Meekness is the opposite of self-will, self-interest, and self-assertiveness.
    This is a sign, not of weakness of character [as some think], but of strength. It requires great self-control to submit to others.

Humility

This is an attitude or quality of mind [Acts 20:19] whereby a person holds low esteem or opinion of his own goodness and importance. Spiritually, one abases himself because he realizes his sinfulness and therefore he is willing to depend on God to meet His needs. It is the opposite of pride, haughtiness, and self-exaltation.

Welcome to our Club of the

Pride; arrogance; ego; self-exaltation; selfish ambition; divisions; fights and arguments; jealousy and envy.

Georg

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Arnold @ July 29 2010,20:11)

Definitions:

Meekness

Humility

Pride; arrogance; ego; self-exaltation; selfish ambition; divisions; fights and arguments; jealousy and envy.

Georg

Hi Georg,

Speak for yourself; I ain't part of your self-aggrandizement club!
    2Cor.10:12: For “we” dare not make ourselves of the number,
    or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves:
    but 'they' measuring 'themselves' by 'themselves', and
    comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Witnessing to the world in behalf of YHVH (Psalm 45:17)
    יהוה האלהים (JEHOVAH GOD) YÄ-hä-vā  hä ĔL-ō-Hêêm!
    Ed J (AKJV Joshua 22:34 / Isaiah 60:13-15)

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ July 29 2010,12:56)
    Hi, thank you, I have more to put here [later – however]

Greetings Shimmer…..It is a good thing to be mindfull of the sin of pride….after all….it was the very first sin on record and it was perpertrated by none other the Lucifer himself when he aspired to be as the most High….The consequences of his actions was the removal of himself and a third of the heavenly host of angels who are with us today on this earth…Humility is a conquest over the spirit of man who is at enmety with God…It is a humble heart that God seeks and a worthy accomplishment to strive for….Thanks for your input…

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ July 29 2010,20:48)

Definitions:

Meekness

Humility

Georg

Hi Georg,

Making statements like YOU and GEORG just did, shows in itself how full of pride you both are……my take :D :D :D
    come on we all fall short of the glory of God, and should acknowledge that some times….we all have some pride in us, it shows in our post's. We all want to be right. Have you ever seen anyone here say that they are wrong? I haven't….have you learned anything form some one else? I bet you have not……Shinner is seeing this, since She is a new member…. And She is right….We all should start to become a little more considered of each other…….Peace and Love Irene

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Arnold @ July 30 2010,07:51)
    Making statements like YOU and GEORG just did, shows in itself how full of pride you both are……my take :D  :D  :D
    come on we all fall short of the glory of God, and should acknowledge that some times….we all have some pride in us, it shows in our post's.  We all want to be right.  Have you ever seen anyone here say that they are wrong?  I haven't….have you learned anything form some one else?  I bet you have not……Shinner is seeing this, since She is a new member…. And She is right….We all should start to become a little more considered of each other…….Peace and Love Irene

Hi Irene,

How is me denying full of pride proof that I'm (according to Irene) full of pride?
    Speak for yourself Irene; I ain't part of your self-aggrandizement club either!

Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ July 30 2010,03:00)
    Greetings Shimmer…..It is a good thing to be mindfull of the sin of pride….after all….it was the very first sin on record and it was perpertrated by none other the Lucifer himself when he aspired to be as the most High….The consequences of his actions was the removal of himself and a third of the heavenly host of angels who are with us today on this earth…Humility is a conquest over the spirit of man who is at enmety with God…It is a humble heart that God seeks and a worthy accomplishment to strive for….Thanks for your input…

Theodore, You are right.

Arnold
    Participant

Definitions:

Meekness

Humility

Georg

Hi Georg,

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

You do so well, defending your EGO.

shimmer
    Participant

Luke 18: 9-14

And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

————————————–

Man lives not by bread alone, but by the word of God. Our blessings come not by our own power and might, but from God. All good things come from above. We must appreciate how weak we would be without Him,  we must appreciate and exalt Him.

Matthew 18:1-4.
    The greatest in the kingdom is one who is as a child. A young child is forgiving, and not just forgiving but dependant on its parent for its needs, Who provides a childs food and dresses him? When he is in pain for whom does he call? A child is weak, but he knows His Parent can meet his needs. Humility leads us to admit humbly our need for God    

Proper humility toward God is an admission of our own weakness, sinfulness, unprofitableness, and inability to obtain or accomplish by ourselves the things we need. We need help from someone far greater than we are. God knows what we need and what is good for us better than we do,  He has power to do what needs to be done. Humility will lead us to appreciate Him, trust His will, and give Him the glory,  

James 4:6-10 – God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Humble yourselves in the sight of God and He will exalt you. Therefore be subject to God, draw nigh to Him, cleanse your hands, purify your hearts, be afflicted, mourn, and weep.  

A meek and humble person will accept persecution, mistreatment, suffering, or hardship without rebelling against God and without doubting His wisdom. He or She will accept the fact that God has allowed this to happen for His good purposes.

Jesus

Acts 8:32,33 – He was led as a sheep to the slaughter [Isaiah 53:7].

Matthew 26:39 –  “Not my will but thine be done.”

Philippians 2:8 – Jesus left the glory of heaven, humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of the death on the cross. Consider how much humility and meekness would be required for one to leave willingly the glory of heaven to come to earth to live as a man and be put to death as a criminal to save others.

Hebrews 12:2-6 –  Let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him
    For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

Deuteronomy 8:1-5,15,16 –

God allows circumstances that chasten us to keep us humble, submissive to His will, and dependent on Him. This will do us good in the end. Sometimes our problems are caused by our own sins. But sometimes, like Job, we have not sinned,  God allows Satan to cause hardships, God uses them to make us humble.

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (Arnold @ July 30 2010,10:00)

Definitions:

Meekness

Humility

Georg

Hi Georg,

this is not Irene…..Georg did not sign it…..sorry if I ruffled your feathers….. So you don't belong to the Human race? Come on, all have fallen short of the glory of God, and that includes you……Irene

shimmer
    Participant

However we also need to resist error, false teaching and deceit in others as Jesus did. To be Humble and Meek doesn't requisitely mean – to overlook things, and just let them happen.

shimmer
    Participant

I'll let you all fight it out :D

shimmer
    Participant

Resisting Error and False Teaching in the Lives of Others.

Moses

Exodus 32:19-30 – Moses became angry at the sin of God's people.   He told them they sinned, and he called for disciplinary action. Yet he was the meekest man on earth, this is the act of a meek man.  There is no conflict between Biblical meekness and firm opposition to error. The conflict exists only because people misunderstand meekness.

Jesus

Matthew 15 –  Jesus described the sin of the Pharisees. The Pharisees were offended. Did He apologize? No, he proceeded to call them blind guides and told the disciples not to follow them.  Matthew 23 – Jesus called the Pharisees hypocrites; sons of hell; blind guides; fools; whited sepulchers; full of hypocrisy and iniquity; generation of vipers. ”  But Jesus said –  “I am meek and lowly in heart.”  Jesus was without sin. There is no conflict between meekness and powerful rebuke,

Jonah
    Jonah, after his miraculous deliverance: “It displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry [Jonah 4:1].

So it seems that those who speak out against sin or false teaching are not doing wrong, they have concern for God's will and for others. [and as long as this is their motives and not to exalt themselves]

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Arnold @ July 30 2010,10:56)

Quote (Arnold @ July 30 2010,10:00)

Definitions:

Meekness

Humility

Georg

Hi Georg,

this is not Irene…..Georg did not sign it…..sorry if I ruffled your feathers….. So you don't belong to the Human race?  Come on, all have fallen short of the glory of God, and that includes you……Irene

Hi Irene,

I can tell the difference between you and Georg!

Eph.4:13-14 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
    unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we
    be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
    by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
    2Cor:3:18: But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord,
    are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

shimmer
    Participant

Quote (Arnold @ July 29 2010,21:11)

Georg

Yeah, its quite surreal in there,

Arnold
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ July 30 2010,11:06)
    I'll let you all fight it out :D

Who's fighting? we're just throwing snow-balls; in this weather they never reach their target, to bad though.  :D

Humility and meekness? you want find it here!

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ July 30 2010,11:01)
    However we also need to resist error, false teaching and deceit in others as Jesus did. To be Humble and Meek doesn't requisitely mean – to overlook things, and just let them happen.

Greetings Shimmer…..Your focus on pride and the many attributes of it invokes ire among some members of this forum and consiousness among others…This is a topic I would love to expand on in discussion,for it will result in self examination and subsequent change in all of us…Humility to me is knowing that before God,Iam nothing but a sinner who can't help himself and needs a savior….This is what I know…The issue is what I do…??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account