Halloween is coming up

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 1,115 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

So please someone tell me what is wrong with our family or our church gathering together on Oct 31st, a day that the Lord has made and offer an alternative celebration to the worlds.

WJ, do you celebrate “halloween”? If someone asked you that, what would you say?
    Would you say: “I celebrate halloween, but do it my way”? Why celebrate “halloween” at all? Sure, have a party that day. Have a party every day.

But WJ, why IMITATE the actions and conduct of religious beliefs and observances that God hates?
    Why?

Why have any part at all in something like this? Did Jesus apostles and disciples adopt and imitate the world and it's holidays? Or did they shun them? What changed? When exactly did paganism become something “Christians” endorse and imitate? (I'd say right around the time the trinity became the law, also right around the time “Christians” began to celebrate birthdays, etc.) That is when paganism became … ok, for Christians.

But what part does God have with darkness? How can you put a ribbon and party on this and sanctify it? Changing the name of something doesn't make it ok. Nor does you blessing it. “Paganism is now ok to imitate.” I don't remember that scripture. Do you?

david
    Participant

David,

So you don't celebrate Thanksgiving then? Why? May I ask?

Hi Mandy. That's a different thread. But really, the answer is as simple as I've already said. Taking one specific day, and saying we should give thanks to God on that day, is somewhat ridiculous given that this is exactly what we should be doing every day.
    Eat turkey every day if you love it. Gather together with friends and family. You know, you don't need a special day to do this.

david

david
    Participant

Please, some one tell me what is wrong with kids or adults dressing up as Bible Characters

I've actually done this before. We didn't need to join in with paganism to do it. Why must you?

david
    Participant

How many watch the ungodly football games? Football may have its spiritual roots in the Roman games where the Gladiators fought to the death.

I hate football.

david
    Participant

Some one tell me what’s wrong with opening my door and giving innocent children some candy and a Bible tract and possibly be able to witness to them?

WJ, so you've become a JW, WJ?

KangarooJack
    Participant

ATTENTION  CONSTITUTIONALIST:

Paul said that the sabbath was merely a “shadow” and Christ was the “substance.” Hebrews says that when the substance appears the shadow is done away. Those who reinstitute the sabbath are in violation of God's new covenant with man. Christ Himself is our sabbath rest. You are just as guilty in keeping the sabbath alive as those transferred it to another day. The sabbath was not changed to another day. It was abolished altogether.

Jesus said that not one jot or tittle would pass from the law until ALL be fulfilled. Circumcision was abolished. This means a jot and tittle has passed from the law. This means that ALL the law was fulfilled. Therefore, the sabbath has been abolished.

When will you legalists learn that more condemnation comes to you than to those who you think are condemned?

thinker

david
    Participant

How many see the resemblance there? Some men fight over the games, there is gambling and drunkenness and men worshipping around the TV shouting out praises to this ungodly sport.

–wJ

Mandy, When I see this picture in my mind do you know what I think of?

Thanksgiving.

david
    Participant

Paul said…

To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 1 Cor 9:22

“Everything is permissible for me”–but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”–but I will not be mastered by anything”. 1 Cor 6:12

–WJ

WJ, do you not see the import of what you quoted?

We have the weakest Christians in the world (non-Christians really) who even understand that halloween is blatantly wrong. So, who is to benefit from you supporting halloween?

You,

Or,

Them?

The answer is: “You.”

You embrace things that have evil roots, but for whose sake are you doing this?

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 17 2009,11:03)

How many see the resemblance there? Some men fight over the games, there is gambling and drunkenness and men worshipping around the TV shouting out praises to this ungodly sport.

–wJ

Mandy, When I see this picture in my mind do you know what I think of?

Thanksgiving.

No one is imposing Thanksgiving on your conscience. It is you legalists that make yourselves the lords of men's consciences.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (david @ Oct. 17 2009,11:06)

Paul said…

To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 1 Cor 9:22

“Everything is permissible for me”–but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”–but I will not be mastered by anything”. 1 Cor 6:12

–WJ

WJ, do you not see the import of what you quoted?

We have the weakest Christians in the world (non-Christians really) who even understand that halloween is blatantly wrong.  So, who is to benefit from you supporting halloween?

You,

Or,

Them?

The answer is: “You.”

You embrace things that have evil roots, but for whose sake are you doing this?

Where did WJ say that he “embraces” halloween? He said that October 31 is the Lord's day. The pagans do not own so much as one day of the year. Paul said that I could feast in an idol's temple as long as it did not cause my brother to stumble. If I did that would not mean I “embrace” the idol.

thinker

david
    Participant

Didn't Jesus eat and drink with publicans and sinners?

WJ, he could also read peoples hearts. You are not Jesus.

The Bible says: “God is not one to be mocked. Bad association spoils useful habits.”

Didn't Jesus eat and drink with publicans and sinners?

WJ, do you hang out at the bar and preach to people there? Just curious.

david
    Participant

Weak only because there are many origins listed for Halloween – you choose the dark one (ironically enough), I choose the light one.

Mandy, what is the origin and history of halloween?

david
    Participant

Also, folks want to clip scriptures that talk about participating with nonbelievers, and participating in wicked things, not pleasing the Lord and so on…..they want to desperately, it seems, apply this to Halloween so that those who enjoy it have to be deemed sinners!!! But why? Why not also apply all those snippets of scripture to other things that perhaps THEY enjoy? Like movies with a little sex slipped in (or lying and grand theft auto)! :;): Certainly even owning a movie that has one of those themes in it would be participating in the dark side and being partakers with nonbelievers.

–mandy

True.

david
    Participant

And your TV? Well – toss it. Unless of course you stick to the Discovery channel. Riiiight?

–mandy

I have a friend that did that. And I love the discovery channel.

david
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Oct. 17 2009,08:10)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Oct. 17 2009,05:45)
    Hi,
    Interesting that some folks are not just tolerating these pagan feasts but actively promoting them.
    Do you think that Jesus will be doing the same?

Jesus probably wouldn't waste his time watching rugby either.  Do you enjoy rugby, Nick?  It can get pretty dark ya know, what with all the chest-beating pride and lust for power.  Oh hey and what about those scantily-clad women who advertise all the beer?  Lots of drunkeness watching those games……   :;):

You are right Mandy. Rugby is bad. (And crazy scary to play.)
    But this thread is about halloween.

KangarooJack
    Participant

David said:

The Bible says: “God is not one to be mocked.  Bad association spoils useful habits.”

TO ALL:

Please note David's cut n' chop treatment of the scriptures above. He put two statements together which are found in separate books of the Bible and made a law of his own. The “God is not mocked” statement is in Galatians and has to do with the consequences of the works of the flesh.

The “bad association spoils good habits” statement has to do with keeping away from those who deny the resurrection (1 corinthians 15:33).

THIS MEANS THAT WE SHOULD AVOID DAVID FOR HE IS A JW AND THE LAST I HEARD THE JW'S DENY THE RESURRECTION.

So David has a lot of explaining to do.

thinker

david
    Participant

Where did WJ say that he “embraces” halloween? He said that October 31 is the Lord's day. The pagans do not own so much as one day of the year.

–Thinker.

And how does he celebrate the “lord's day” Oct 31? Does he do it on his terms, or on THEIR terms? Does he imitate THEM? If you say he's not imitating them, then I ask, why that day? Why not Oct 14th? Or Nov 27th? He seems to be taking THEIR thing and trying to change it.
    But taking a glass of poison and adding pure water does not make it pure. Or do you think it does?

david
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Oct. 17 2009,11:24)
    David said:

The Bible says: “God is not one to be mocked.  Bad association spoils useful habits.”

TO ALL:

Please note David's cut n' chop treatment of the scriptures above. He put two statements together which are found in separate books of the Bible and made a law of his own. The “God is not mocked” statement is in Galatians and has to do with the consequences of the works of the flesh.

The “bad association spoils good habits” statement has to do with keeping away from those who deny the resurrection (1 corinthians 15:33).

THIS MEANS THAT WE SHOULD AVOID DAVID FOR HE IS A JW AND THE LAST I HEARD THE JW'S DENY THE RESURRECTION.

So David has a lot of explaining to do.

thinker

You're right. Sorry.

“Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.”

“Do not be misled: God is not one to be mocked.”

Somehow, my brain combined those two scriptures. I wonder why.

david
    Participant

THINKER, Again, you are insane.

No one here believes that.  

When you lie, people tend not to believe the rest of what you say, thinker.

Secondly, your argument that I don't believe the resurrection, therefore anything I say about halloween must be wrong…..this is a false dumb argument.  You, being called the thinker, should know this.  It's a fallacy.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 17 2009,09:17)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Oct. 17 2009,09:02)

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Oct. 16 2009,13:54)
    This thread was quite something to read.

Thanks all.

Is that in a good light? Or a bad one? Hope its good. We did seem to veer off quite abit.

Con,

Hi.  I definitely have my own opinions.  But I don't want to start something I can't finish due to time.

I did find Thinker's comment about “sexy” and the aftermath quite amusing.  

The bottom line for me is that we should all be pursuing holiness and theosis: union with God.

I like to err on the side of “avoid the near occasion to sin” wherever possible.  Life is so much freer and the air is so much easier to breath when we do that.

Hey CA,

So you live in a bubble then? :;):

Just razz'in ya. Still, “sin” lurks everywhere not just hidden in Halloween parties. Where can it be easier to not sin? Church? Sigh….some pastor's and clergy have had a hay-day sinning within the walls.

I dunno……

But I love your spirit! Have a great weekend.

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 1,115 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account