God's voice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 277 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

“Here we go'round the mullberry bush,
    the mullberry bush,
    the mullberry bush.

Here we go'round the mullberry bush,
    with those who think they know the only truth…..”

It goes something like that.
    :;):

ONE BOOK, MANY FAITHS.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,13:29)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Mar. 06 2009,13:23)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,11:28)
    Hi not3,
    Yes for a purveyor of strange doctrines about stranger gods he gets the sympathy vote.
    Watch out or he will start calling you DEAR

:laugh:   I caught the “Dear” comment.  I think Keith is from the south though, isn't he?  Well, anyway, I'm one of these gals that love it when a gentleman calls them, “Darling”, or “Sweatheart”.  I guess that's because my Dad always called me “Love”.  I was a big time “Daddy's girl”.  I really miss my Dad.  He died in 92, just 8 months after I was married.

Obviously Keith has a lot invested in the Trinity belief.  He listed his credentials for us.  But more than that, I believe he has seriously sought the Lord, as we all have.  From the same book that we all read, he has seen the Trinity in scripture.  There does *seem* to be some scriptures that back his case.  It's difficult for us to say who is in and who is out, imo.

On that Day, we will know.  But I doubt God is going to judge the way we do….  I'm grateful for that.

Hi not3,
    Patronising is the way of the whore's seductions.
    But we have a Father.

{{Shaking head}}

Nick,

You are seduced daily, bro.  You are the king when it comes to patronizing people!  Do you not listen when old and new members alike ask you to take a look at your behavior, and how you treat people?  In all kindness…..wake up, bro.

I'd rather be called “Dear” than to be belittled in my efforts to know God.  Really, I say this with as much love as I possibly can.

NickHassan
    Participant

dear me

charity
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,13:54)
    dear me
    look busy Jesus is coming

:) I finished your quote Nic

charity
    Participant

dear me
    look busy Jesus is coming.

:) wow I bet they had fun adding words to what Jesus might have said,
    then easy as publishing it as the truth….

Stu
    Participant

Quote (charity @ Mar. 06 2009,14:07)

dear me
    look busy Jesus is coming.

:)  wow I bet they had fun adding words to what Jesus might have said,
    then easy as publishing it as the truth….

…Meek shall inherit earth…

…Samaritan shows extraordinary kindness…

…judge not yet ye be judged…

…homosexuals deserve to die…

…I come with a sword sticking out of my mouth…

Will the 'real' Jesus please stand up?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Mar. 06 2009,11:44)
    Hi,
    The angry voices of the assembled ants were not heard by the farmer walking that way.
    The heavy boot ensured they will not be heard again.

Nick if I was ever to come down with symptoms consistent with infection by the christian meme, the cure would be available in the form of reading brutal fiction like this post of yours. Orwell had nothing on you.

Stuart

WIT

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Mar. 06 2009,10:02)

WorshippingJesus,

Your faith is amazing, but your logic is quite circular.

This of course is your opinion. But what is more important? You’re Faith or your logic?

The roots of the Judeo–Christian faith, is Abrahan was to offer his son up for a sacrifice to YHWH. What if Abraham would have “doubted” that God had commanded him to do this and begin to reason this could not be true and let his reason or logic cause him to directly disobey YHWH?

What if Jesus when he was under intense pressure and temptation did not quote scriptures in his battle against satan in the wilderness? He had the Spirit without measure and yet he quoted scriptures, what does that tell you?

What if the disciples would have heard Jesus words say “follow me” and they begin to reason what shall I do with my buisness or what about my family and did not immediately follow him?

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Mar. 06 2009,07:25)
    But we do have a standard and it is called the Holy Spirit and the Holy Scriptures written under the inspiration of that Spirit.

The scriptures reveal to us not only God and his standards, but also his name, so we know that by his name, his Spirit that testifies to the name, and the inspired scriptures we know that we serve the “One True God”.

A muslim “has the spirit” too, and they have a holy book which testifies to the trueness of their god as well.  (Honest! Google any apologetic website for muslims.)  What would you say to a muslim to convince him that he is serving a false, bad god that he could not say to you as well?

I would say…
    Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:31

Then Jesus would say…
    Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and “they are they which testify of me”. John 5:39

That you hear from the Spirit?  So does he!  (For that matter, so does everyone on this forum – with the exception of Stu – and there are few agreements to be found among the various things the “Spirit” is telling each of us.)

Yes most everyone here claims to hear from the Spirit. I can only speak for myself for I know in whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed to him against that day. There is only one Spirit, and he speaks only one truth, now everyman has to seek out for himself what is true.

Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself, without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load. Gal 6:4, 5

That the bible speaks of the true God?  The muslim's “holy” Koran speaks of Allah!

That you have seen miracles of faith?  So has he!

That people's lives have been changed as a result of faith in the God of the bible?  He reports the same!

So shall I question or diminish my faith in my God because he doesn’t believe in my God?

Now take a look at this:

“Forbidden to you are…married women, except those you own as slaves.” (Surah 4:20-, 24-)

If a muslim reads this, your reasoning, applied to his situation, amounts to this: If you believe your book is holy, trust it.  Don't question.  Just believe.

No, that is your reasoning. I would tell him that Jesus is the Way and the Truth and the Life and that no man can come to God but by him, and that the Holy Scriptures reveal the only plan of salvation and that the creator of the universe is the One True God, trust him, (BTW, where do you think I got all that information?). Your reasoning says I should check my faith at the door and should question the inspired scriptures and my God because he believes in Allah and the Koran as his God.

My question to him is this: Look at this passage.  Is this befitting of good god?  Would a good god allow a man to violate another man's marriage AND own the husband and wife as slaves?

Yes and you would be offending the man and his faith. But then he may turn to you and say “so I should believe in your God, the God of the Bible, you mean the one where God does all those “evil things” to his people? It seems to me that your logic is circular, but I do not know if your God is the God of the Bible, is he?

Now, you might say that the Koran isn't holy, so a muslim shouldn't listen to it anyway.  But how do you convey that to him without asking him to judge the foundation of his faith?  Why should he take a critical look at the elements that make up his faith while your attitude is that none of the elements that make up your faith are questionable? OK.  That horse has been thoroughly beaten.

I would be pointing him to Jesus and let the Holy Spirit do his work. Our mission is to bring the name of Jesus as the only way to God and telling them that God so loved them that he gave his only “unique” son as a sacrifice for their sins and that if they believe in him then they can be saved and have the gift of eternal life. Now he may say how can your God be good if he gave his son as a human sacrifice? Where is your logic then?
    It seems to me a Muslim is more likely to accept the God of the Bible rather than some mushy, mushy manmade moralistic teddy bear. Sorry, that just came to me. :)

I will leave you with this quote that concisely describes my underlying concern:

With or without [religion] you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. Steven Weinberg

Fancy little quote, but who is talking about religion? Of course that is what religion does. I am talking about a relationship with a living God who has given us his Spirit and has preserved inspired writings by Holy men of God that were moved by his Spirit.

I think it is the religious spirit that criticizes the scriptures and not the other way around.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 1 Tim 4:1, 2

For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him. 2 Cor 11:2-4

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you–unless, of course, you fail the test? 2 Cor 13:5

My hope is that people do not check their brains at the door when it comes to religion, and that they will stand against evil wherever it may be found.

I think we should check our brains at the door and have more faith since it is our brain that seems to be the problem!

WJ

Quote (kejonn @ Mar. 06 2009,11:32)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Mar. 05 2009,11:54)
    He cannot be judged a “killer” (muderer) because he takes life, for he also gave that life.

My mother gave me life. Would it be OK for her to take it?

Hi kejonn

Hope you are well.

In answer to your question, it depends on how bad you were when you were a child.  :D  Just kidding.

My Daddy would say “Boy I brought you into this world and I can take you out”, Bless his soul he is home with Jesus.

Seriously though, your mom bore you and brought birth to you but God is your creator the one who formed you and gave you the breath of life.

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Jer 1:5

WJ

Stu
    Participant

WJ

Why are you so untrusting of the brain and conscience that your 'god gave you'?

Do you think your god is out to deceive you?

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 06 2009,20:37)
    WJ

Hi Stu

Because my God is not my brain or my intellect!

How about yours?

WJ

WhatIsTrue
    Participant

WorshippingJesus,

I am going to try to stay away from the “dead horse” because this could get circular pretty fast.  But, you did touch on some new points that I would like to address.

You wrote:

This of course is your opinion. But what is more important? You’re Faith or your logic?

The roots of the Judeo–Christian faith, is Abrahan was to offer his son up for a sacrifice to YHWH. What if Abraham would have “doubted” that God had commanded him to do this and begin to reason this could not be true and let his reason or logic cause him to directly disobey YHWH?

This is a perfect illustration of the final point in my last post.  Let's look at that Abraham example.

If a man/angel were to approach me and tell me that he was an angel of the Lord, and that the Lord wanted me to drag my two sons out into the forest and kill them, I would tell that man/angel to “go screw”, and that if the Lord wanted my sons dead, He would have to do it Himself.  Why?  Because killing my own sons, with my own hands, is beyond evil.  It is sick, demented, and dark beyond all imagination.  I would not think twice about whether or not God wanted me to do it, because if that's what God requires of His worshippers, then I can not follow God.

WWYD?  (What would you do?)

Again: “…for good people to do evil things, that takes [faith].”

(Note:  I am not going to play the religion/faith semantic game.)

The rest of your post is “dead horse” territory, but you did ask me a couple of questions.  So, I will try to answer them, as I don't like to ignore genuine questions that are asked directly of me.

You wrote:

But then [the muslim] may turn to you and say “so I should believe in your God, the God of the Bible, you mean the one where God does all those “evil things” to his people? It seems to me that your logic is circular, but I do not know if your God is the God of the Bible, is he?

I do not believe that God is, or commands, evil.  Where that leaves the God of the bible, I do not know at this time.  I think that it is possible that the scriptures were inspired by God, but do not always reflect His character, because His thoughts were filtered through the very limited minds of men from various times and cultures.

The positive treatment of slavery in the bible is, for me, a reflection of the character of the men who wrote and read the bible at that time.  Yet, the way it is written, scripture records the institution of chattel slavery as part of the “perfect law of God”.  I can not accept that God's morality was limited by the barbaric nature of the people at the time it was given.  After all, according to the New Testament, God expected them to fail at keeping His laws anyway, so why write in a bunch of bad “compromises”?

Now [a muslim] may say how can your God be good if he gave his son as a human sacrifice? Where is your logic then?

Honestly, I would feel compelled to point out that there was no sacrifice, especially according to mainstream theology.  Jesus went through a lot of pain, but, ultimately, he didn't die.  He got promoted.  It might have been a hard process for a father to watch, but I think that He would be pretty proud of where His son ended up.  Don't you?  King of kings!  Lord of lords!  It doesn't appear that Jesus sacrificed much of anything.  If Jesus had really been sacrificed, your Trinity would now be a Binity, and the wailing wall in Jerusalem would be for Christians, not Jews.

(After you pick your jaw up off the keyboard, please realize that I am taking a dispassionate view.  I understand that there is a lot of passion wrapped up in the crucifiction, but that was a very brief event in the span of all eternity.  If you look at where Jesus started out, and where he ended up, no matter what your theology, I think that it is fair to say that he did OK for himself.)

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Feb. 25 2009,12:34)
    Bro 94,

Murder is murder.
    Taking another life even for eye-for-an-eye is still murder.

Justified murder?
    Sanctified murder?

Are these acceptable?

Greetings Mandy……Murder is the willfull,vengefull,premeditated,malicious taking of life…with respect to human life…killing of animal life,although God afforded man dominion over the animal kingdom,the unnecessary cruel and unusual treatment of animals could rise to the level of murder….The commandment states “thou shalt not murder”……There are situations when life is taken accidently with no malice or premeditation and then there are situations that involve self defense….This is the taking of life that qualifies as killing or to kill…

Stu
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ Mar. 07 2009,05:11)
    ……Murder is the willfull,vengefull,premeditated,malicious taking of life…

As perpetrated by god, to take one example, when 'he' flooded the earth?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Mar. 07 2009,03:25)

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 06 2009,20:37)
    WJ

Hi Stu

Because my God is not my brain or my intellect!

How about yours?

WJ

Are you denying that your brain is a gift from your god?

If it is, why can you not trust its workings?

Stuart

charity
    Participant

SERIOUSLY Stuart
    the average Christan can't even quote the author of the
    “quote”
    “Is the pope catholic”
    -?
    let alone the true bible quotes and the quoted authors :D

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 07 2009,05:40)

Stuart

Greetings Stu……That would come under the heading of judgement….which is the consequences of one actions…
    For example if you murder someone in the state of Florida and you are found guilty of muder in the first degree….your judgement will be….to be put to death…as a consequence of your willfull,premeditated,malicious taking of another human beings life….It really is pretty easy to understand that there is no malice in God….there is mercy and there is judgement…

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Mar. 07 2009,03:26)
    WorshippingJesus,

I am going to try to stay away from the “dead horse” because this could get circular pretty fast.  But, you did touch on some new points that I would like to address.

You wrote:

This is a perfect illustration of the final point in my last post.  Let's look at that Abraham example.

If a man/angel were to approach me and tell me that he was an angel of the Lord, and that the Lord wanted me to drag my two sons out into the forest and kill them, I would tell that man/angel to “go screw”, and that if the Lord wanted my sons dead, He would have to do it Himself.  Why?  Because killing my own sons, with my own hands, is beyond evil.  It is sick, demented, and dark beyond all imagination.  I would not think twice about whether or not God wanted me to do it, because if that's what God requires of His worshippers, then I can not follow God.

The rest of your post is “dead horse” territory, but you did ask me a couple of questions.  So, I will try to answer them, as I don't like to ignore genuine questions that are asked directly of me.

You wrote:

But then [the muslim] may turn to you and say “so I should believe in your God, the God of the Bible, you mean the one where God does all those “evil things” to his people? It seems to me that your logic is circular, but I do not know if your God is the God of the Bible, is he?

I do not believe that God is, or commands, evil.  Where that leaves the God of the bible, I do not know at this time.  I think that it is possible that the scriptures were inspired by God, but do not always reflect His character, because His thoughts were filtered through the very limited minds of men from various times and cultures.

The positive treatment of slavery in the bible is, for me, a reflection of the character of the men who wrote and read the bible at that time.  Yet, the way it is written, scripture records the institution of chattel slavery as part of the “perfect law of God”.  I can not accept that God's morality was limited by the barbaric nature of the people at the time it was given.  After all, according to the New Testament, God expected them to fail at keeping His laws anyway, so why write in a bunch of bad “compromises”?

Now [a muslim] may say how can your God be good if he gave his son as a human sacrifice? Where is your logic then?

Honestly, I would feel compelled to point out that there was no sacrifice, especially according to mainstream theology.  Jesus went through a lot of pain, but, ultimately, he didn't die.  He got promoted.  It might have been a hard process for a father to watch, but I think that He would be pretty proud of where His son ended up.  Don't you?  King of kings!  Lord of lords!  It doesn't appear that Jesus sacrificed much of anything.  If Jesus had really been sacrificed, your Trinity would now be a Binity, and the wailing wall in Jerusalem would be for Christians, not Jews.

(After you pick your jaw up off the keyboard, please realize that I am taking a dispassionate view.  I understand that there is a lot of passion wrapped up in the crucifiction, but that was a very brief event in the span of all eternity.  If you look at where Jesus started out, and where he ended up, no matter what your theology, I think that it is fair to say that he did OK for himself.)

Greetings what is true……When we look at the relationship Abraham had with God we find a man that walked with God and lived by his statutes….Having said that we must also understand that God is all knowing….Abraham was put to a test to see if his obedience/commitment could be shaken…God had no intention of allowing Isaac to be slain as for he was an intricate part of Gods plan for the salvation of all of us…not to mention progenery….Sarah was also tested and because of her inpatients with Gods timing for child bearing,she encouraged Abraham to sleep with Hagar and as a result Ishmael was brought into this world before Isaac….God promised Abraham that his seed would be great nations and numbered as grains of sand…

Hi WIT

WorshippingJesus,

I see, so it’s going to be a pick and choose post. Maybe it’s just me WIT, but it seems to me that your words “dead horse” applied to my thoughtful and time spent post is a little patronizing and condescending. :)

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Mar. 06 2009,18:38)

The roots of the Judeo–Christian faith, is Abraham was to offer his son up for a sacrifice to YHWH. What if Abraham would have “doubted” that God had commanded him to do this and begin to reason this could not be true and let his reason or logic cause him to directly disobey YHWH?

Ok, so now we know your position on absolute surrender to the Living God. Don’t get me wrong but what faith are you of?

I would hope that I would have the faith of Abraham. You see God had already spoken to Abraham and given him a promise…

And, behold, the word of the LORD [came] unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. Gen 15:5, 6

You see Abraham believed God and knew that even if he was to carry out the Lord’s command and “kill” his son that his God was big enough and powerful enough to not only protect his son from any pain or suffering but also could even raise his son from the dead.

This is a perfect picture of the Father giving up his only unique son as a living sacrifice. If you claim to know Jesus and are saved then welcome to the world of the New Covenant, Christianity, because the truth of the scriptures is God gave his only son on the cross as the “sacrificial Lamb of God”, and his blood was spilled out for our salvation. You may not like these terms, but you are part of a blood religion, for “WITHOUT THE SHEDDING OF BLOOD THERE IS NO REMISSION OF SINS”.

No, for a good person to do evil things takes a rebellious heart, and it sure doesn’t mean they are acting in true faith.

Is this a game? What does “religion” and having a living relationship with God by faith have to do with each other?  ???

This is definitely patronizing, but thank you for at least giving it a shot.

But then [the Muslim] may turn to you and say “so I should believe in your God, the God of the Bible, you mean the one where God does all those “evil things” to his people? It seems to me that your logic is circular, but I do not know if your God is the God of the Bible, is he?

I do not believe that God is, or commands, evil.  Where that leaves the God of the bible, I do not know at this time.

Truly I pray that he will give you understanding to know what the truth is.

I think that it is possible that the scriptures were inspired by God, but do not always reflect His character, because His thoughts were filtered through the very limited minds of men from various times and cultures.

So God chose men to write under the inspiration of his hand knowing that man would filter his truth through their limited minds and then call the scriptures inspired when in fact they are corrupted?

The positive treatment of slavery in the bible is, for me, a reflection of the character of the men who wrote and read the bible at that time.  Yet, the w
    ay it is written, scripture records the institution of chattel slavery as part of the “perfect law of God”.  I can not accept that God's morality was limited by the barbaric nature of the people at the time it was given.  After all, according to the New Testament, God expected them to fail at keeping His laws anyway, so why write in a bunch of bad “compromises”?

So then you do not agree with Jesus, the Apostles and the church fathers who spoke of the scriptures, quoted them and considered them inspired? Maybe you can give us some evidence that the eye witnesses or the church Fathers ever held your attitude about the scriptures. Maybe there is a church Father somewhere that claimed the Holy Scriptures as being corrupted. Call it a dead horse if you like, but you are in the wrong camp.

Now [a Muslim] may say how can your God be good if he gave his son as a human sacrifice? Where is your logic then?

Honestly, I would feel compelled to point out that there was no sacrifice, especially according to mainstream theology.

This truly is sad that you can say that Jesus horrendous suffering by crucifixion was no sacrifice. I think you owe God an apology. Jesus suffered at the hands of evil men for no wrong by horrible beatings and then hung on the tree for 6 hours for you and your children. And you have the nerve as a believer to say that there was no sacrifice?

Have you forgotten he was the sacrificial Lamb that was sent into the world by the Father for that purpose? Truly, am I talking to a believer here?

Jesus went through a lot of pain, but, ultimately, he didn't die.

No he died! Then he was raised from the dead. WWYD, if that was your daughter or son and someone said “they just went through a lot of pain but ultimately they didn’t die?”.

He got promoted.  It might have been a hard process for a father to watch, but I think that He would be pretty proud of where His son ended up. Don't you?

So where he ended up is supposed to diminish the tremendous sacrifice that the Father and Jesus paid?

King of kings!  Lord of lords!  It doesn't appear that Jesus sacrificed much of anything.

WIT, I have never heard a believer ever say this about our Lord.

If Jesus had really been sacrificed, your Trinity would now be a Binity, and the wailing wall in Jerusalem would be for Christians, not Jews.

This is very weak. Like many others when you do not have a response just throw a Trinity stone. We are not even talking about the Trinity. What does Jesus sacrifice have to do with your statement? It makes no sense.

In my opinion you have made one of the sickest and biggest insults I have ever heard against Jesus by diminishing the eternal price he paid for all believers to be saved.

I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth Luke 18:8

WJ

Stu
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ Mar. 09 2009,02:56)

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 07 2009,05:40)

Stuart

Greetings Stu……That would come under the heading of judgement….which is the consequences of one actions…
    For example if you murder someone in the state of Florida and you are found guilty of muder in the first degree….your judgement will be….to be put to death…as a consequence of your willfull,premeditated,malicious taking of another human beings life….It really is pretty easy to understand that there is no malice in God….there is mercy and there is judgement…

What difference is there between the brutality of state-sponsored execution and divine killing? They both fit your criteria and they are both unjust, by any reasonable standards.

Stuart

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 277 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account