God's plan of salvation as revealed in Scripture

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 371 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    One of Satan's greatest triumphs is to make them believe that being a 'good person', obeying the commandments and doing 'good works' bring us salvation. They can point to scriptures spoken by Jesus that seem to support such a view. What they do not realise it those teachings were for those of the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant never applied to us gentiles. It only applied to the Israelites.

Paul put it plainly for us in Rom 3.23
    “for ALL have sinned and fall short of the gloryof God”
    and
    2.12f
    ” For all who have sinned without the Law[gentiles] will also perish without the Law”

That is why we must be born again of water and the Spirit and enter the kingdom that way. Apart from the sovereign mercy of God, and that is great, we are otherwise all doomed to perish. The Law is no refuge for us now or ever.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Yes its one of the paradoxical aspects of our faith.
    That on the one hand we are clearly told that our names are recorded on the book of life before the foundation of the world. That who God chose, He also called, justified and glorified, that we are predestinated.
    Yet on the other hand we have this free moral agency and a choice, a decision to make involving repentence, the changing of the mind and heart to accept God's truth.
    And although it seems that these are two opposing sides of an arguement, in fact they are not, but both hold true.
    And I believe you are right, there is a balance to be had.

truebelief4u
    Participant

Sunnyb…You stated: “Once you are born again it is permanent just like you could not be reborn physically, so if you decided to do nothing with it the rest of your life, and be a “couch potato” for God, then you would still be saved.”

Ummmm…..This  is  what most churches teach these days….which helps them in their “feel good” faith.  Unfortunately, is does not agree with the context of the Bible.
    “Instant salvation” is not the Biblical doctrine.  Salvation is an ONGOING PROCESS, and that is the reason you see all through the N.T. that we must “persevere, endure,” etc.  We do not RECEIVE our salvation until judgment day when we are told to go over “on the right,” with the sheep, instead of “over on the left” with the goats waiting on the barbeque!  Salvation is a gift, yes; but we are throughout our lives working TOWARD that gift….it is our “hope,” as is stated throughout the N.T. Please consider the following:

We are not Guaranteed Salvation; We Hope For Salvation
    Heb. 7:27, 9:12,26;10:10; 1 Pet 3:18 – Jesus died once and redeemed us all, but we participate in the application of His redemption by the way in which we live.

Heb. 9:12 – Christ's sacrifice secured our redemption, but redemption is not the same thing as salvation. We participate in and hope for salvation. Our hope in salvation is a guarantee if we are faithful to Christ to the end. But if we lose hope and fail to persevere, we can lose our salvation. Thus, by our own choosing (not by God's doing), salvation is not a certainty. While many Protestant churches believe in the theology of “once saved, always saved,” such a novel theory is not found in Scripture and has never been taught by the Church.

Rom. 5:2 – we rejoice in the “hope” (not the presumptuous certainty) of sharing the glory of God. If salvation is absolutely assured after accepting Jesus as Savior, why would Paul hope?

Rom. 5:5 – this “hope” does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit. Our hope is assured if we persevere to the end.

Rom. 8:24 – this “hope” of salvation that Paul writes about is unnecessary if salvation is guaranteed. If salvation is assured, then why hope?

Rom. 10:1 – Paul prays that the Jews “may be saved.” Why pray if it's guaranteed? Further, why pray unless you can mediate?

Rom. 12:12 – rejoice in your “hope” (not your certainty), be patient in tribulation, and be constant in prayer.

2 Cor. 3:12 – since we have a “hope” (not a certainty), we are very bold. We can be bold when we are in God’s grace and our persevering in obedient faith.

Gal. 5:5 – for through the Spirit by faith we wait for the “hope” (not the certainty) of righteousness.

Eph. 1:18 – that you may know what is the “hope” to which He has called you, what are the riches of His glorious inheritance.

Eph. 4:4 – there is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one “hope” (not the one certainty) that belongs to your call.

Eph. 6:10-17 – Paul instructs the Ephesians to take the whole armor of God, the breastplate of righteousness, and the helmet of salvation, in order “to stand,” lest they fall. Paul does not give any assurance that the spiritual battle is already won.

Phil. 3:11 – Paul shares Christ's sufferings so that “if possible” he may attain resurrection. Paul does not view his own resurrection as a certainty.

Phil. 1:20 – as it is my eager expectation and “hope” (not certainty) that I shall not be at all ashamed before Christ.

Col. 1:5 – Paul refers to the “hope” (not guarantee) that Christ laid up for us in heaven.

Col. 1:23 – provided that you continue in the faith, not shifting from the “hope” of the gospel which you heard.

Col. 1:27 – to them God chose to make known His mystery, which is Christ in you, the “hope” (not the certainty) of His glory.

1 Thess. 1:3 – remembering before our God your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of “hope” in Jesus Christ.

1 Thess. 2:19 – for what is our “hope” or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?

1 Thess. 5:8 – we must put on the helmet of “hope” (not of certainty) of salvation.

2 Thess. 2:16 – the Lord Jesus and God our Father who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good “hope” through grace.

1 Tim. 1:1 – Paul describes Christ Jesus as our “hope” (not our guarantee). We can reject Him and He will allow this.

1 Tim. 4:10 – Paul says we toil and strive because we have our “hope” (not our assurance) on the living God. This is not because God is unfaithful, but because we can be unfaithful. We toil and strive for our salvation.

1 Tim. 5:5 – she who is a real widow, and is left all alone, has set her “hope” (not her assurance) on God. Our hope is a guarantee only if we persevere to the end.

1 Tim. 5:15 – Paul writes that some have already strayed after satan, as God Himself tells us in 1 Tim. 4:1. They were on the right path, and then strayed off of it.

2 Tim. 2:10 – Paul endures for the elect so that they “may also obtain salvation.” This verse teaches us that even the “elect,” from the standpoint of human knowledge, have no guarantee of salvation.

Titus 1:2 – Paul says that he is in the “hope” (not the certainty) of eternal life. Paul knows that his hope is a guarantee if he perseveres, but his ability to choose sin over God makes his attainment of eternal life less than an absolute certainty until it is actually achieved.

Titus 2:13 – awaiting our blessed “hope,” the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Titus 3:7 – Paul says we have been given the Spirit so we might become heirs in the “hope” (not the certainty) of eternal life.

Heb. 3:6 – we are Christ's house if we hold fast our confidence and pride in our “hope” (not our certainty).

Heb. 6:11 – we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness in realizing the full assurance of “hope” (not certainty) until the end.

Heb. 6:18 – we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to seize the “hope” (not the certainty) that is set before us.

Heb. 6:19 – we have a “hope” that enters into the inner shrine behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone before us.

Heb. 7:19 – on the other hand, a better “hope” (not certainty) is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Heb. 10:23 – let us hold fast the confession of our “hope” without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

Heb. 11:1 – now faith is the assurance of things “hoped” for (not guaranteed), the conviction of things not seen (heaven).

Heb. 12:1 – let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.

Heb. 12:15 – see to it that no one fail to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness spring up and cause trouble, and by it many become defiled.

James 1:12 – we must endure trial and withstand the test in order to receive the crown of life. It is not guaranteed.

1 Peter 1:3 – by His mercy we have been born anew to a living “hope” through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

1 Peter 1:13 – set your “hope” (not assurance) fully upon the grace that is coming to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1:21 – through Him you have confidence in God, who raised him from the dead so that your faith and “hope” are in God.

1 Peter 2:2 – like newborn babes, long for spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation. How can you grow up to something you already possess?

1 Peter 3:15 – always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who calls you to account for the “hope” that is in you.

1 John 3:3 – and everyone who thus “hopes” in Him purifies himself as He is pure. These verses teach us that we must cooperate with God’s grace and persevere to the end to be saved. We can and do have a moral certitude of salv
    ation if we persevere in faith, hope and love.

If our salvation was instantly given to us, none of these verses would be necessary, and they would, in fact, be meaningless.

david
    Participant

Sunnyb…You stated: “Once you are born again it is permanent just like you could not be reborn physically, so if you decided to do nothing with it the rest of your life, and be a “couch potato” for God, then you would still be saved.”

Ummmm…..This is what most churches teach these days….which helps them in their “feel good” faith. Unfortunately, is does not agree with the context of the Bible.
    “Instant salvation” is not the Biblical doctrine.

Besides all the “hope” scriptures, here are some others to consider:

Jude 5, RS: “I desire to remind you, though you were once for all fully informed, that he who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe.”

And as TB mentioned, there are those enduring scriptures, such as:
    Matt. 24:13, RS: “He who endures to the end will be saved.”
    (So a person’s final salvation is not determined at the moment that he begins to put faith in Jesus.)

Phil. 2:12, RS: “As you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”
    (This was addressed to “the saints,” or holy ones, at Philippi, as stated in Philippians 1:1. Paul urged them not to be overly confident but to realize that their final salvation was not yet assured.)

Heb. 10:26, 27, RS: “If we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries.”
    (Thus the Bible does not go along with the idea that no matter what sins a person may commit after he is “saved” he will not lose his salvation. It encourages faithfulness. See also Hebrews 6:4-6, where it is shown that even a person anointed with holy spirit can lose his hope of salvation.)

truebelief4u
    Participant

David….good stuff! For those who “pay attention” to what Scripture actually says, it would be difficult to come to a belief that you are “instantly saved,” or that “once saved, always saved,” both of which are absolutely ridiculous doctrines and it is a sad state of affairs when the “churches” pass these doctrines off as being real, and “Biblical,” for they are neither!

NickHassan
    Participant

Good stuff guys,
    But we should never appear before the White Throne /sheep and goat judgement seat. That is a mercy Judgement of those who rise in the SECOND resurrection. Those who are saved there are from the world-“all the nations”.They are the final remnants saved.
    It is the second resurrection that is shown in Jn 5.28 when
    “ALL who are in the tombs will hear his voice. and will come forth; those who did the GOOD DEEDS to a resurrection of life, those who committed evil DEEDS to a resurrection of judgement”.”

Jesus told us, his brothers, however, in Jn 5.24
    “..he who hears my word, and believes Him who sent me,HAS ETERNAL LIFE AND DOES NOT COME INTO JUDGEMENT BUT HAS PASSED OUT OF DEATH INTO LIFE”

The Sheep and goat judgenment is not about the usual way of salvation- receiving the grace of the works done for us by Jesus. Instead it is about those who are saved by THEIR OWN works, but only one work is good enough-helping those who belong to Christ-his brothers.Those who are saved are surprised. We should know our salvation
    Instead it is a fulfillment of the scriptural promise that;
    “no one who gives a glass of water to you because you belong to me will lose his reward”

The saved in this judgement say;
    “Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink..?”

He replies;
    “To the extent that you did it to ONE OF THESE BROTHERS OF MINE, even the least of them, you did it to me”

That is why we need to read carefully what Jesus said about being born again and be part of the first resurrection[Rev 20 4-6] into his earthly 1000 year Kingdom which all occurs before the second resurrection[rev 20.11f]and take care to ensure we enter that rest as Hebrews 4 describes it.

sandra
    Participant

Immerse, that #6, remain faithful the rest of your lives? Immerse you really need to understand this! You have done nothing, You will do nothing of your ownselves, “Only I shall be glorified!” saith the Lord,

Paul rebuked this belief, because many of the disciples, James being one of them, had gone back to a law of works, rather than boast of the righteouusness of Jesus Christ,(who has betwixted you?) , a little leaven spoileth……

He who has begun a good work in you, shall complete it unto the day of His return.

The Lord overfloweth within thee, unto good works, until such time as you can rest in this, you are wrestling with your ego against the Lord!

Many Christians have backslid returning to the Lord, wiser, humbler, “the wrath of sinful men shall praise Him” We are pruned everyday, the Lord once told me, “I would spew you out of my mouth, were it not for My Son,” that message can be said of us all.

“There is none that seeketh to do good, NO NOT ONE!”

“But those who wait upon the Lord, they shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings as Eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and faint not.”

“My yoke is easy, my burden is light”.  May I say if you are walking in legalism, your burden is NEVER light.  It is heavy, nothing is ever enough.  You are tossed to and fro, Paul gives a wonderful descript.

I feel very sad for those who are held captive to good works, they are imprisoned by Satan!

truebelief4u
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 01 2006,01:35)
    Good stuff guys,
    But we should never appear before the White Throne /sheep and goat judgement seat. That is a mercy Judgement of those who rise in the SECOND resurrection. Those who are saved there are from the world-“all the nations”.They are the final remnants saved.
    It is the second resurrection that is shown in Jn 5.28 when
    “ALL who are in the tombs will hear his voice. and will come forth; those who did the GOOD DEEDS to a resurrection of life, those who committed evil DEEDS to a resurrection of judgement”.”

Jesus told us, his brothers, however, in Jn 5.24
    “..he who hears my word, and believes Him who sent me,HAS ETERNAL LIFE AND DOES NOT COME INTO JUDGEMENT BUT HAS PASSED OUT OF DEATH INTO LIFE”

The Sheep and goat judgenment is not about the usual way of salvation- receiving the grace of the works done for us by Jesus. Instead it is about those who are saved by THEIR OWN works, but only one work is good enough-helping those who belong to Christ-his brothers.Those who are saved are surprised. We should know our salvation
    Instead it is a fulfillment of the scriptural promise that;
    “no one who gives a glass of water to you because you belong to me will lose his reward”

The saved in this judgement say;
    “Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink..?”

He replies;
    “To the extent that you did it to ONE OF THESE BROTHERS OF MINE, even the least of them, you did it to me”

That is why we need to read carefully what Jesus said about being born again and be part of the first resurrection[Rev 20 4-6] into his earthly 1000 year Kingdom which all occurs before the second resurrection[rev 20.11f]and take care to ensure we enter that rest as Hebrews 4 describes it.

Nick…..Looks like you are an adherent to the “two resurrections theory.”  While I, personally, go with the “one resurrection theory,” I have to admit there are SOME verses which do appear to lend support to the “two resurrection” theory……perhaps a new thread to debate the theories would be in order??????   ???

truebelief4u
    Participant

Nick…Have you read this? This was a big influence on me.
    http://lig1.tripod.com/lee/early/leeearly.htm

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (truebelief4u @ Mar. 31 2006,21:52)
    Nick…Have you read this?  This was a big influence on me.
    http://lig1.tripod.com/lee/early/leeearly.htm

Hi,
    I prefer scripture.

Woutlaw
    Participant

Quote (truebelief4u @ Mar. 31 2006,15:35)

Ummmm…..This  is  what most churches teach these days….which helps them in their “feel good” faith.  Unfortunately, is does not agree with the context of the Bible.
    “Instant salvation” is not the Biblical doctrine.  Salvation is an ONGOING PROCESS, and that is the reason you see all through the N.T. that we must “persevere, endure,” etc.  We do not RECEIVE our salvation until judgment day when we are told to go over “on the right,” with the sheep, instead of “over on the left” with the goats waiting on the barbeque!  Salvation is a gift, yes; but we are throughout our lives working TOWARD that gift….it is our “hope,” as is stated throughout the N.T.  Please consider the following:

We are not Guaranteed Salvation; We Hope For Salvation
    Heb. 7:27, 9:12,26;10:10; 1 Pet 3:18 – Jesus died once and redeemed us all, but we participate in the application of His redemption by the way in which we live.

Heb. 9:12 – Christ's sacrifice secured our redemption, but redemption is not the same thing as salvation. We participate in and hope for salvation. Our hope in salvation is a guarantee if we are faithful to Christ to the end. But if we lose hope and fail to persevere, we can lose our salvation. Thus, by our own choosing (not by God's doing), salvation is not a certainty. While many Protestant churches believe in the theology of “once saved, always saved,” such a novel theory is not found in Scripture and has never been taught by the Church.

Rom. 5:2 – we rejoice in the “hope” (not the presumptuous certainty) of sharing the glory of God. If salvation is absolutely assured after accepting Jesus as Savior, why would Paul hope?

Rom. 5:5 – this “hope” does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit. Our hope is assured if we persevere to the end.

Rom. 8:24 – this “hope” of salvation that Paul writes about is unnecessary if salvation is guaranteed. If salvation is assured, then why hope?

Rom. 10:1 – Paul prays that the Jews “may be saved.” Why pray if it's guaranteed? Further, why pray unless you can mediate?

Rom. 12:12 – rejoice in your “hope” (not your certainty), be patient in tribulation, and be constant in prayer.

2 Cor. 3:12 – since we have a “hope” (not a certainty), we are very bold. We can be bold when we are in God’s grace and our persevering in obedient faith.

Gal. 5:5 – for through the Spirit by faith we wait for the “hope” (not the certainty) of righteousness.

Eph. 1:18 – that you may know what is the “hope” to which He has called you, what are the riches of His glorious inheritance.

Eph. 4:4 – there is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one “hope” (not the one certainty) that belongs to your call.

Eph. 6:10-17 – Paul instructs the Ephesians to take the whole armor of God, the breastplate of righteousness, and the helmet of salvation, in order “to stand,” lest they fall. Paul does not give any assurance that the spiritual battle is already won.

Phil. 3:11 – Paul shares Christ's sufferings so that “if possible” he may attain resurrection. Paul does not view his own resurrection as a certainty.

Phil. 1:20 – as it is my eager expectation and “hope” (not certainty) that I shall not be at all ashamed before Christ.

Col. 1:5 – Paul refers to the “hope” (not guarantee) that Christ laid up for us in heaven.

Col. 1:23 – provided that you continue in the faith, not shifting from the “hope” of the gospel which you heard.

Col. 1:27 – to them God chose to make known His mystery, which is Christ in you, the “hope” (not the certainty) of His glory.

1 Thess. 1:3 – remembering before our God your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of “hope” in Jesus Christ.

1 Thess. 2:19 – for what is our “hope” or joy or crown of boasting before our Lord Jesus at his coming? Is it not you?

1 Thess. 5:8 – we must put on the helmet of “hope” (not of certainty) of salvation.

2 Thess. 2:16 – the Lord Jesus and God our Father who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good “hope” through grace.

1 Tim. 1:1 – Paul describes Christ Jesus as our “hope” (not our guarantee). We can reject Him and He will allow this.

1 Tim. 4:10 – Paul says we toil and strive because we have our “hope” (not our assurance) on the living God. This is not because God is unfaithful, but because we can be unfaithful. We toil and strive for our salvation.

1 Tim. 5:5 – she who is a real widow, and is left all alone, has set her “hope” (not her assurance) on God. Our hope is a guarantee only if we persevere to the end.

1 Tim. 5:15 – Paul writes that some have already strayed after satan, as God Himself tells us in 1 Tim. 4:1. They were on the right path, and then strayed off of it.

2 Tim. 2:10 – Paul endures for the elect so that they “may also obtain salvation.” This verse teaches us that even the “elect,” from the standpoint of human knowledge, have no guarantee of salvation.

Titus 1:2 – Paul says that he is in the “hope” (not the certainty) of eternal life. Paul knows that his hope is a guarantee if he perseveres, but his ability to choose sin over God makes his attainment of eternal life less than an absolute certainty until it is actually achieved.

Titus 2:13 – awaiting our blessed “hope,” the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Titus 3:7 – Paul says we have been given the Spirit so we might become heirs in the “hope” (not the certainty) of eternal life.

Heb. 3:6 – we are Christ's house if we hold fast our confidence and pride in our “hope” (not our certainty).

Heb. 6:11 – we desire each one of you to show the same earnestness in realizing the full assurance of “hope” (not certainty) until the end.

Heb. 6:18 – we who have fled for refuge might have strong encouragement to seize the “hope” (not the certainty) that is set before us.

Heb. 6:19 – we have a “hope” that enters into the inner shrine behind the curtain, where Jesus has gone before us.

Heb. 7:19 – on the other hand, a better “hope” (not certainty) is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Heb. 10:23 – let us hold fast the confession of our “hope” without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

Heb. 11:1 – now faith is the assurance of things “hoped” for (not guaranteed), the conviction of things not seen (heaven).

Heb. 12:1 – let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us.

Heb. 12:15 – see to it that no one fail to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness spring up and cause trouble, and by it many become defiled.

James 1:12 – we must endure trial and withstand the test in order to receive the crown of life. It is not guaranteed.

1 Peter 1:3 – by His mercy we have been born anew to a living “hope” through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

1 Peter 1:13 – set your “hope” (not assurance) fully upon the grace that is coming to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

1 Peter 1:21 – through Him you have confidence in God, who raised him from the dead so that your faith and “hope” are in God.

1 Peter 2:2 – like newborn babes, long for spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up to salvation. How can you grow up to something you already possess?

1 Peter 3:15 – always be prepared to make a defense to anyone who calls you to account for the “hope” that is in you.

1 John 3:3 – and everyone who thus “hopes” in Him purifies himself as He is pure. These verses teach us that we must cooperate with God’s grace and persevere to the end to be saved. We can and do have a moral certitude of salvation if we persevere in faith, hope and love.

If our salvation was instantly given to us, none of these verses would be necessary, and they would, in fact, be meaningless.

truebelief,

I agree with you on that.

Matthew 10:22, says, He who endures to the end WILL BE SAVED.

Mark 16:16 says, Whoever believes and is baptized WILL BE SAVED.

Romans 10:9 says, That if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you WILL BE SAVED.

Guys “WILL BE” is future tense. The scriptures say that when Christ comes back, he will bring salvation with him.

Salvation is the gift for those of us who finish the race, for those who fight the good fight.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi guys,
    Quite so W and tb4u,
    Scripture says
    We have been saved
    We are saved
    and
    We will be saved.

Trees that produce no fruit despite being fertilised are cut down.
    Branches that do not abide in the vine and dry up are pruned away and burnt.
    Guests without wedding clothes are thrown out.
    If we given valuables to invest and gain no profit we lose even that investment.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Amen Nick

When Jesus cried out It is finished – right there we were saved. Our salvation was secured.
    When God put our names on the Book of Life before the foundation of the world – we were heading for our salvation.
    When we were born again by the Spirit of God, we came alive to the reality of it.
    And one day we and all those who are under that covenant of grace are brought forth in the resurrection we will enjoy a fuller reality of it still.

kenrch
    Participant

If He will not blot out does that mean He will?

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Just wondering?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

I don't believe that the very elect can have their names blotted out of the book of life.
    They are in the Lamb's book of life, but take for example Judas – who was with those to whom Jesus said – “Don't rejoice that the spirits are made subject to you – rejoice rather that your names are written in Heaven”. Yet when the devil entered into his heart he lost everything. Jesus then referred to him as the son of perdition.

kenrch
    Participant

Hey malcolm,

I don't intend to find out :)

malcolm ferris
    Participant

:D

truebelief4u
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ April 01 2006,11:36)
    If He will not blot out does that mean He will?

Rev 3:5  He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

Rev 22:19  And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Just wondering?

Please note that the verse you quoted says “he that overcometh,”…….this goes along with the verses regarding “enduring,” “striving,” “persevering,” etc…if you were ALREADY saved, none of these verses would be necessary (and, in fact, would be meaningless). There is simply too much evidence that salvation is an “ongoing process” to ignore. While we may WANT to believe we are “instantly saved,” that is just not the way the context reads….it is a “process,” that continues until we die, and assuming we “endure, persevere, etc.,” then we WILL RECEIVE our reward (everlasting life/salvation)

Consider the following:

Jesus' Teaching on Losing Salvation
    Matt. 7:18 – Jesus says that sound trees bear good fruit. But there is no guarantee that a sound tree will stay sound. It could go rotten.

Matt. 7:21 – all those who say “Lord, Lord” on the last day will not be saved. They are judged by their evil deeds.

Matt. 12:30-32 – Jesus says that he who is not with Him is against Him, therefore (the Greek for “therefore” is “dia toutos” which means “through this”) blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. This means that failing to persevere in Jesus' grace to the end is the unforgivable sin against the Spirit. We must persevere in faith to the end of our lives.

Matt. 22:14 – Jesus says many are called but few are chosen. This man, who was destined to grace, was at God's banquet, but was cast out.

Luke 8:13 – Jesus teaches that some people receive the word with joy, but they have no root, believe for a while, and then fall away in temptation. They had the faith but they lost it.

Luke 12:42-46 – we can start out as a faithful and wise steward, then fall away and be assigned to a place with the unfaithful.

Luke 15:11-32 – in the parable of the prodigal son, we learn that we can be genuine sons of the Father, then leave home and die, then return and be described as “alive again.”

John 6:70-71 – Jesus chose or elected twelve, yet one of them, Judas, fell. Not all those predestined to grace persevere to the end.

John 15:1-10 – we can be in Jesus (a branch on the vine), and then if we don't bear fruit, are cut off, wither up and die. Paul makes this absolutely clear in Rom. 11:20-23.

John 17:12 – we can be given to Jesus by the Father (predestined to grace) and yet not stay with Jesus, like Judas.

John 6:37 – those who continue to come to Jesus He won't cast out. But it's a continuous, ongoing action. We can leave Jesus and He will allow this because He respects our freewill.

John 6:39 – Jesus will not lose those the Father gives Him, but we can fall away, like Judas. God allows us not to persevere.

John 6:40 – everyone who sees the Son and believes means the person “continues” to believe. By continuing to believe, the person will persevere and will be raised up. Belief also includes obedience, which is more than an intellectual belief in God.

John 6:44 – Jesus says no one can come to me unless the Father “draws” him. This “drawing” is an ongoing process.

John 10:27-28 – when Jesus says, “no one shall snatch them out of my hands,” He does not mean we can't leave His hands. We can choose to walk away from Him.

Rev. 2:4-5 – Jesus tells the Ephesians that they abandoned the love they had at first and have fallen. Jesus warns them to repent and do the works they did at first, otherwise He will remove their lampstand (their awaited place in heaven).

Rev. 3:4 – in Sardis, Jesus explained that some people received the white garment and soiled it with sin.

Rev. 3:5 – Jesus says whoever conquers will not be blotted out of the book of life (see Exodus 32:33). This means that we can be blotted out of the book of life. We can have salvation, and then lose salvation by our choice.

Rev. 3:11 – Jesus says to hold fast to what we have, so that no one may seize our crown. Jesus teaches us that we can have the crown of salvation and lose it.

Rev. 13:10; 14:12 – we are called from heaven for the endurance and faith of the saints, keeping the commandments and faith.

Rev. 21:7 – we must conquer in order to share in our heritage and become a true son of Jesus.

Rev. 22:19 – we can have a share in the tree of life in God's holy city and yet have that share taken away from us.

Other Apostolic Teaching on Losing Salvation by our Own Choice
    Acts 7:51 – you stiff-necked people, you always resist the Holy Spirit. We, by our own freewill, can resist God and His grace, and turn away from Him.

Rom. 11:20-23 – in expounding on Jesus’ teaching in John 15, Paul teaches that the Jews (the natural branches) were broken off by lack of faith (v.20), but says that the Romans stand fast through faith (v. 21). So the Romans are justified. However, Paul then says that the Romans can also be cut off if they don’t persevere in faith and kindness (v. 22-23). Hence, those justified before God can fall away from the faith and lose their salvation (be “cut off”). Paul also says that those who are cut off can be grafted back in if they do not persist in their unbelief, for God has the power to graft them in again (v.23). These verses are devastating to the “once saved, always saved” position.

1 Cor. 9:24-27 – Paul says that all the runners compete, but only one wins the prize. Paul recognizes that if he doesn’t train himself properly in perseverance, he too can become “disqualified.” The word “disqualified” comes from the Greek word “adokimos” which literally means cut off from Christ, or reprobate. When “adokimos” is used in the Scriptures, it always refers to those who are to be condemned by God. It has nothing to do with going to heaven with less rewards. See, for example, Rom. 1:28; Titus 1:16; 2 Tim. 3:8; Heb. 6:8; 2 Cor. 13:5-7. This proves that Saint Paul thought he could lose his salvation. No one would reasonably argue that Paul wasn’t “saved” when he wrote the Scriptures. So if Saint Paul thought that he could lose his salvation, why do many Protestants think that they cannot lose theirs?

1 Cor. 9:24 – Paul says that only one wins the “prize” (brabeion). To further prove that the race Paul is writing about refers to our journey to heaven, “brabeion” always has a soteriological implication. See, for example, Phil. 3:14 where “prize” refers to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (which is heaven).

1 Cor. 9:25 – Paul writes about achieving the “imperishable” (aphthartos) wreath. Again, to further prove Paul is writing about salvation, “aphthartos” always refers to the eternal. See, for example, 1 Cor. 15:51 (the only other place in NT Scripture where “aphthartos” appears relative to humans) where Paul says the dead will be raised “imperishable.” This refers to the resurrection of our salvation. See also 1 Tim. 1:17 where the King of ages is called “immortal” (imperishable).

Rom. 13:11 – for salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. If we already have salvation, then how can we only be nearer to it?

1 Cor. 4:4 – Paul says he is not aware of anything against himself, but he is stil
    l not acquitted. Paul is not presumptuous about his salvation. Only the Lord is our Judge.

1 Cor. 6:9-11 – we can be washed, sanctified, and justified, yet Paul still warns us that we can be deceived and become unrighteous.

1 Cor. 10:6-13 – the passage is about how the Israelites, once justified before God, fell away from God. Therefore, let anyone who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall (v.12). You can be standing in God's grace, and then fall away. But God will always provide enough grace to overcome the temptation (v.13).

1 Cor. 15:1-2 – we can be believers (predestined to grace) but believe in vain. Scripture refutes the novel Protestant theory “once saved, always saved.”

2 Cor. 6:1 – we can receive the grace of God (predestined to grace) in vain. We can choose not to cooperate with His grace.

2 Cor. 11:2-3 – Paul writes, “I betrothed you to Christ, but I am afraid that your thoughts will be led astray from a devotion to Christ.” The Corinthians already had a sincere devotion to Christ, for Paul wrote to them earlier in the letter, “you stand firm in your faith.” (2 Cor. 1:24). They are already “saved.” But Paul warns them that they can fall away just like Eve fell away (and, remember, Eve was created without sin!) This is another verse that is devastating to the belief of “once saved, always saved.”

Gal. 1:8-9 – Paul says, “if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel to that which we preached to you…let him be accursed.” Paul says “if we,” which means he believed even the sacred writers (currently “saved”) could fall away from the true faith and teach a heretical gospel.

Gal. 4:9 – Paul asks those who know God how they can now turn back again to the weak and beggarly elemental spirits, whose slaves they once were. Paul acknowledges and warns of this possibility.

Gal. 5:1 – Paul writes that the Galatians are free in Christ, but warns them to stand fast, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. You cannot be severed from Christ if you were never connected to Christ. This warning applies to those who are connected to Christ in faith.

Gal. 5:4 – Paul teaches that we can be in Christ, then be severed from Him and fall away from God's grace. You cannot be severed from something unless you were previously connected to it.

Phil. 2:12 – we cannot assume salvation. We need to work it out to the end with fear and trembling. If “once saved, always saved” were true, why would the great apostle Paul have to work his salvation out in fear and trembling? What is there to fear if salvation is assured?

Phil. 3:11-14 – Paul writes that “if possible,” he may attain the resurrection, says he is not perfect, and presses on toward the prize of salvation. Paul has no presumption of salvation but works it out in fear and trembling.

Col. 1:21-23 – we have now been reconciled in His body to be presented holy and blameless, provided we continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel which we heard. Paul warns them that it is possible to turn away and lose hope in the gospel.

Col. 2:18-19 – a man puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind has lost the connection with Jesus. He had the connection and lost it.

1 Tim. 1:5-6 – some people have wandered away from a sincere faith, a pure heart and a good conscience. They had a sincere (not a fake) faith, and still fell away.

1 Tim. 1:19-20 – Paul tells Timothy to hold fast to the faith, and not shipwreck it like Alexander and Hymenaeus. They had it, and then they lost it.

1 Tim. 4:1 – the Spirit “expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by giving heed to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons.” God Himself is telling us that some people who had the faith will lose the faith.

1 Tim. 5:8 – if we do not provide for our relatives, we have disowned the faith (we had the faith, and we lost it).

1 Tim. 5:15 – Paul says that some have already turned away and gone after Satan. There is never any distinction between falling away from a true faith versus a false faith.

1 Tim. 6:10 – for the love of riches we may wander from the faith (we had the faith, and we can lose the faith).

Heb. 2:1 – we must pay closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift away from it. We have it, but we can drift away from it.

Heb. 3:12 – the author warns the Hebrews to take care, lest there be in any one of you an evil heart, leading you to fall away from the living God. We can be with God, and choose to fall away from Him.

Heb. 3:13-14 – the author warns the Hebrews that they need to exhort one another every day, so that none of them may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. Paul teaches that we share in Christ, but only if we hold our first confidence firm to the end.

Heb. 4:1 – while the promise of entering his rest remains, let us fear lest any of you be judged to have failed to reach it. There would be nothing to fear if salvation were assured.

Heb. 4:6,11 – we can receive the good news (predestined to grace) and then disobey it and fall away. The author thus exhorts us to strive to enter that rest, that no one falls by the same sort of disobedience.

Heb. 6:4-6 – those who have been enlightened and partakers of the Holy Spirit (predestined to grace) can fall away, commit apostasy and crucify the Son of God.

Heb. 10:23-29 – we can sin deliberately after receiving knowledge of the truth (predestined to grace) and then face a fury of fire.

Heb. 10:26 – if we continue to sin after knowing truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sin – our salvation is jeopardized.

Heb. 10:35 – we can have confidence in salvation (predestined to grace), and then throw it away. We can have it, and lose it.

Heb. 10:36: – we have the need of endurance, so that we may do the will of God and receive what is promised. There is no need for endurance to get what is promised if salvation is assured.

Heb. 10:38-39 – the author says that the righteous live by faith, but can shrink back. He then exhorts the people not to shrink back and be destroyed, but to keep their souls.

James 5:19-20 – we can be in the truth, and then wander from the truth which means death, unless we are brought back.

1 Peter 1:14 – Peter warns that, as obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance. Thus, you can first be ignorant, then receive the truth and become obedient, and later revert back to the passions of your former ignorance.

2 Peter 2:1 – we can be bought by Christ, and then become false teachers of destructive heresies and destroy ourselves.

2 Peter 1:10 – we must be zealous to confirm our call and election; for if we do this we will never fall. But Peter is saying that it is possible to fall, without zeal and perseverance.

2 Peter 2:15 – forsaking the right way they have gone astray; they have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved gain from wrongdoing. They had the right way, and then chose to forsake it.

2 Peter 2:20-22 – we can escape the defilements of the world through Jesus (predestined to grace) and then become entangled again therein.

2 Peter 3:16-17 – we can be the beloved of God and then lose our stability and carried away with the error of lawless men.

1 John 1:7 – if we walk in the light, the blood of Jesus cleanses us. But we need continual cleansing, and can walk out of the light.

1 John 1:9 – if we confess our sins, Jesus will forgive them and cleanse us. But we need continual cleansing. Growing in holiness is a lifelong process.

1 John 2:19 – “they left, but didn't not belong to us” refers to those who were Christians who did not persevere and were thus not predestined to glory.

1 John 2:28 – we must abide in Him so we have confidence and don't shrink in shame. If we fail to abide, we are lost.

2 John 8 – l
    ook to yourselves, that you may not lose what you have worked for. You can lose the grace you currently have.

Jude 6 – even some of the angels, who beheld the face of God, fell. How much more could we fall?

Gen. 3:6 – Adam and Eve, who were already living the divine life of supernatural grace, fell away from God. Is falling more possible for us?

Ezek. 3:20; 18:24; 33:12,13,18 – the Lord clearly teaches us in these verses that a righteous man can turn away from his righteousness and commit iniquity. He was righteous (there is nothing about having phony righteousness), but he fell away and chose unrighteousness. When he does, his prior good deeds shall be forgotten, and he shall die.

NickHassan
    Participant

Thank you for that exposition.
    Of course the words of the letters of Paul and Peter etc are written only to the saved. The words spoken in Acts are not necessarily so as it is a record of their preaching to the unsaved too. We must reject Christ in any of these ways to lose what God has given us.

david
    Participant

1 CORINTHIANS 10:12
    “Consequently let him that thinks he is standing beware that he does not fall.”

Notice who this following scripture was addressed to, and what it says:
    HEBREWS 3:1,12-14
    “Consequently, holy brothers, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the apostle and high priest whom we confess—Jesus. . . .Beware, brothers, for fear there should ever develop in any one of YOU a wicked heart lacking faith by drawing away from the living God; but keep on exhorting one another each day, as long as it may be called “Today,” for fear any one of YOU should become hardened by the deceptive power of sin. For we actually become partakers of the Christ only if we make fast our hold on the confidence we had at the beginning FIRM TO THE END,”

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 371 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account