Getting to know You

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 382 total)
  • Author
    Irene
    Participant

T8 Our Humming Birds are mostly Grey with green bellies. Some have red bellies. Thank you for those Pictures. We do not have any Parrots only in the Zoo. In any event we are so fortunate to have all these Birds that God created for us.
    Peace and Love Irene

seekingtruth
    Participant

The above is a picture of a hummingbird moth it's slightly larger than a silver dollar

Wm

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Aug. 17 2008,03:16)
    T8

I saw my first Hummingbird when I went to Colombia. I actually thought it was a kids toy and looked around for a kid with a remote control, because this thing was really small and flew like a dragonfly. It also had a base fluorescent green colour and reflected all sorts of other colours too. Are they like that in the USA?

If it was real small it may have been a moth, we have both the bird and the moth in Michigan. I've got a shot of the somewhere will see if I can find it.

If you didn't know there was a moth that looks like a hummingbird neither did I till I saw it and we looked it up online.

Wow that sounds amazing.

It was a bird however, because I saw hundreds of them later on, especially in the warmer areas. It's just that by the time you line up the shot, they are gone.

One day I was photographing butterflies in Colombia and it started getting dark. I was on the ridge of a hill and noticed all these lights below me kind of zigzagging through the rainforest below. I thought it must be a path and some bicycles with lights on were travelling that way. But the lights seem to be too erratic for that and while pondering on it, a light just lifted up out of the canopy of the forest below and came straight up the hill and toward my head. I had no idea what could do that and then the light went over my head and down the other side of the hill. My wife told me later that it would have been an insect called a Luciérnaga which I think is a firefly. But it must have been very big because of the speed it travelled at.

We don't have anything like that in my part of the world.

Here is a couple of shots of butterflies that I took that day.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Aug. 17 2008,09:54)

The above is a picture of a hummingbird moth it's slightly larger than a silver dollar

Wm

Wow, that is amazing. Didn't know such a creature existed.

Anyone else have a pic of an amazing creature?

charity
    Participant

willie wagtail

these a cute little birds
    they come up close and behave a little Like a puppy dog wanting attention.

Proclaimer
    Participant

They remind me a bit of Fantails in New Zealand. They also are not shy and they have a similar tail.

Not sure if you have heard of a lyre bird of South Australia, they are amazing.

Not3in1
    Participant

One time a hummingbird came into my kitchen and I was able to trap her under a huge glass dome (to put her outside again). But before I let her loose I took 10 seconds to study her….she was still. I cannot believe how tiny they are! I just love hummingbirds. We have so many around here that you have to be careful when you are wearing red! They come right up to your face thinking you are a flower.

:D

Not3in1
    Participant

t8,
    Thanks for sharing the video. My daughter and I enjoyed it very much.
    Love,
    Mandy

Proclaimer
    Participant

Cool.

In New Zealand one third of the native species do not fly.
    They had no predators and didn't need to fly.

New Zealand also had the largest bird in the world at 12 feet high and we had the largest eagle too.
    But they were made extinct relatively recently. A real pity.

The eagles use to attack and kill humans. They could crush a human skull in their mouth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haasts_eagle

charity
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Aug. 17 2008,14:54)
    t8,
    Thanks for sharing the video.  My daughter and I enjoyed it very much.
    Love,
    Mandy

Agree that was a good video :D

thanks t8
    wow the Moa Bird,
    its been years since I gave them a thought.

seekingtruth
    Participant

That bird is amazing, I had to check it out on Wikipedia just to see if you were yanking our chain. Isn't “evolution” wonderful, (sarcasm for those who don't recognize it)

Wm

Proclaimer
    Participant

He he.

There is always the possibility that I also wrote the Wikipedia article.

charity
    Participant

Offering the benefit of the doubt in hospitality….hmmm eating the checkers … :D

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Aug. 17 2008,22:23)
    He he.

There is always the possibility that I also wrote the Wikipedia article.

Is there also a possibility that you were the old man in the video?

:;):

Irene
    Participant

t8 Thank you for the Video, I loved it. Na, your not that old.
    Peace and Love Irene :laugh: :laugh:

Proclaimer
    Participant

Na not me. It was Sir David Frederick Attenborough and he was born in 1926. I was born in the same century as him though.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Aug. 17 2008,16:42)
    That bird is amazing, I had to check it out on Wikipedia just to see if you were yanking our chain. Isn't “evolution” wonderful, (sarcasm for those who don't recognize it)

Wm

Don't forget that evolution can explain the presence of flightless birds in a mammalian ecological niche on the islands of New Zealand, and the Noachian flood myth can't!

Stuart

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Aug. 18 2008,18:56)

Wm

Don't forget that evolution can explain the presence of flightless birds in a mammalian ecological niche on the islands of New Zealand, and the Noachian flood myth can't!

Stuart

No what you mean is there is not an explanation you'll accept. Adaptation and genetics offer an explanation which I find much more plausible and keeps in line with scripture.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Aug. 18 2008,23:56)

Wm

Stuart

Oh yeah. The singularity with less IQ than a blowfly also came up with the Moa and scientists today would have a too difficult task in creating a robotic Moa that could reproduce offspring. So the IQ of less than a blowfly with billions of years up it's sleeve out does the IQ of humans who have supercomputers and machines at their disposal.

Somehow a vast flood seems more likely possible than that singularity santa thingy theory.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hey Stu, here is the best that man can come up with as far as the moa.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 382 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account