Mikeboll’s belief in a flat world

Viewing 20 posts - 4,961 through 4,980 (of 6,415 total)
  • Author
    Proclaimer
    Participant

But you do not have an answer for all that took place before the first day concluded. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
      (Already created.)
    2. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
      (Further proof that the heavens were already created because it was created along with the earth and the earth is being referenced now.)
    3. And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
      (You have no clue what this light is.)
    4. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
      (In God, there is no darkness. This is a physical light of some kind)
    5. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.”
      (Oh, would you look at that. This light dictates day and night. I wonder what it could be.)
    6. And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
      (There you have it. All done and dusted before day one.)

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens – Genesis 2:4

When you read Genesis, it becomes obvious that what happens after day one are things that make the planet habitable because all the groundwork has already been laid. Scientifically speaking, if we were to terraform Venus and make it suitable for life, we would have to deal with the thick atmosphere that traps all that heat. That is the moisture (CO2)  above the land need to be thinned out. And plants are really good at that because they breathe CO2. Scientists think that the early earth was like this.

Of course, you are free to not participate in critical thinking, reason, and study of the text and instead stick with that which has been handed down and repeated at Sunday School. Similar to the Trinity Doctrine. After all, men love traditions and rarely challenge them.

But here’s an idea. We can ask God for wisdom so that we have an answer as to what we believe in an out of season. I know what I believe. Or you can carry on your merry way and just parrot things knowing full well that there are massive holes in your theology. I am going to guess the latter, but I would like to be pleasantly surprised. I want the best for everyone after all. But when people do not seek for truth with all their heart, then the heart is the problem and the mind gets affected.

gadam123
    Participant

PRIMITIVE TEACHINGS IN BIBLE

(i) The sky has windows:

The sky is nothing but a vacuum.  It does not have windows. But Holy Bible states that the windows of sky were opened

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the Mountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

(ii) The earth has foundations, pillars and four corners!

According to Biblical Geography, the earth has foundations, pillars and four corners ! Please read the following three verses :

The Earth has foundations :

Ps 104:5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

The Earth has pillars :1

1 Sam 2:8 for the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s, and he bath set the world upon them.

The Earth has four corners :

Rev 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

(iii) The sun, not the earth, moves !

Joshua commanded the sun to standstill and not the earth.  This is Biblical writer’s understanding ! The following passage indicates that Joshua stops the sun and the moon :

Josh 10:13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies.  Is not this written in the book of Jasher?  So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.

Martin Luther “The fool (Copernicus) wishes to reverse the entire science of astronomy.  But sacred Scripture tells us that Joshua commanded the sun to stand still, and not the earth.”

gadam123
    Participant

Stationary Earth as the Center of the Universe

An erroneous Bible teaching caused Christian theologians to oppose Galileo’s proof that the earth rotates on its axis and revolves around the sun. In the sixteenth century, Copernicus proposed this theory about the double motion of the earth. In the following century, Galileo’s telescope proved that Copernicus had been right.

To oppose the Copernican doctrine and show that the earth remains stationary while the sun moves around it, the Catholic Church pointed to the tenth chapter of the book of Joshua. There we are told that Joshua, in order to have a longer period of daylight in which to carry out the Lord’s command to slaughter the Amorites, ordered the sun to stand still – not the earth.

Other passages demonstrating that the earth remains stationary include Psalm 93:1 (“The world is [e]stablished, that it cannot be moved.”); I Chronicles 16:30 (“[T]he world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.”); and Psalm 104:5 (The Lord “laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed forever.”).

Because of Galileo’s support for the Copernican doctrine, the Inquisition threatened him with torture, forced him to recant, and subjected him to imprisonment. Additionally, for nearly 200 years the Catholic Church’s Index of Forbidden Books condemned all writings that affirmed the double motion of the earth.

Protestants weren’t much better. For generations the major branches of Protestantism – Lutheran, Calvinist, and Anglican – denounced the Copernican doctrine as contrary to scripture.

A Flat Earth Resting on Pillars

The Bible supports the primitive notion of a flat earth. In the sixth century, a Christian monk named Cosmas wrote a book, titled Topographia Christiana, describing the structure of the physical world. Basing his views on the Bible, Cosmas said the earth is flat and surrounded by four seas.

The prophecy at Revelation 1:7 was a basis for his conclusion. It states that when Christ returns, “every eye shall see him.” Cosmas reasoned that if the earth were round, people on the other side would not see Christ’s second coming.

Further support for the idea of a flat earth is contained in the verses mentioning the “four corners of the earth” (e.g., Isaiah 11:12; Revelation 7:1) and the “ends of the earth” (e.g., Jeremiah 16:19; Acts 13:47).

Because of such Bible teachings, most of the early church fathers thought the earth is flat. In the view of the world contained in Cosmas’ book was accepted for several centuries as orthodox Christian doctrine. Even in the fifteenth century, when Christopher Columbus proposed to sail west from Spain to reach the East Indies, the biblical notion of a flat earth was a major source of opposition to him.

As for the question of what holds the flat earth in place, the Bible indicates the answer is “pillars.” The pillars of the earth are mentioned in several verses in the Old Testament (I Samuel 2:8; Psalm 75:3; Job 9:6). These verses reflect the belief of the ancient Hebrews that the earth rests upon pillars.

Sky a Solid Dome Containing Windows

The Bible promotes the idea that the sky is a solid dome covering the earth. In the creation account given in the first chapter of Genesis, verse 17 says the Lord set the sun and moon “in the firmament” to provide light for the earth. The Hebrew word translated as firmament is raqia, which means “hammered metal.”

More support for the notion of a domed earth is found at Job 37:18 (where the sky is described as like a “molten looking glass”); Isaiah 40:22 (God “stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in”); and Revelation 6:14 (“And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together.”).

This concept of the sky was common in the ancient Near East and taken for granted by the Bible writers. Based on the Bible, most of the early church fathers accepted the notion of the firmament. The same position was supported by Cosmas, and thus was part of orthodox Christian doctrine for several centuries.

Orthodox doctrine also contained the related idea that the firmament has windows – which are opened by angels when God wants to send rain upon the earth. Cosmas believed that when the windows are opened, some of the waters contained above the firmament (which are mentioned at Genesis 1:17) fall to the earth. Cosmas’ basis for this belief was the statement, at Genesis 7:11-12, that at the time of the Noachian flood the “windows of heaven were opened” and the rain fell.

Supernatural Signs in the Heavens

Bible stories led the Christian world to believe – for centuries – that God sends humankind signs in the heavens.

Christians thought comets warn of divine anger and imminent punishment; stars and meteors portend beneficial events such as the birth of heroes and great men; eclipses signify divine distress in response to events on earth; and storms and other destructive weather result from the anger of God or the malice of Satan.

Additional Errors About the Physical World

The Bible has verses mentioning dragons (Jeremiah 51:34), unicorns (Isaiah 34:7), and cockatrices (Isaiah 11:8). These passages led many naturalists in the Middle Ages to think such mythical creatures actually exist.

The Bible is also incorrect in saying the bat is a bird (Leviticus 11:13,19), the hare and rock badger chew the cud (Leviticus 11:5-6), and the mustard seed “is the smallest of all seeds” (Matthew 13:32).

Finally, it’s inconsistent with science – and ludicrous – to believe that God confounded the language of humans because he was afraid they would build a tower high enough to reach heaven (Genesis 11:1-9).

Proclaimer
    Participant

gadam, similarly, gravity made people think that there was also a thing called levity which explained how things float.

I think it is awesome that God let man discover the universe. That is what the saved will be doing for eternity. Discovering God and all that he has made. Men’s initial thoughts on such things are probably going to be wrong initially.

And it took great men of God using science to discover many of these things.

Yet even today, we say the sun goes down and it does from our perspective. So it is not a lie, it’s really just perspective. Even time is different for each individual.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Mike argues that this video is fake

Because it is not possible on a flat earth. Lol.

Proclaimer
    Participant

gadam, really? The pillars argument.

Lol. Covered this one with mike.

The bible also says that some people are pillars.

And even today we still say that he is a pillar of society.

I guess Paul was correct. Carnal men just cannot understand such things.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

By extension then, I guess that is why some people here making such arguments are making a fool of themselves.

Proclaimer
    Participant

How the Ancient Greeks knew the Earth was round

Carl Sagan reveals how the Ancient Greeks knew the Earth was round.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Flown to South America from NZ numerous times myself

Flatties can’t explain it. Lol.

flat-earth-flights

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Proclaimer……i can hardly believe, with all the proofs you have posted , there are still some who believe in a flat earth,  with all the scientific evidence available today, it’s vertually impossible to not know the earth is a sphere  that is rotating.

When God created the Light, the earth still had to be kick started in a spinning motion, to cause day and night on this earth to happen in the first place.  Common sense 101.

Can’t believe Mike still believe in the flat earth therory. AMAZING !

Peace and love to you and yours Proclaimer………gene

Proclaimer
    Participant

I know right.

When the heart no longer seeks truth, then such a person is not being led by the Spirit of Truth.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Field of view matters

295822567_147133751318361_5274447509487285153_n

Proclaimer
    Participant

Wherever you put it, Foucault’s Pendulum swings from a motionless point while the earth rotates beneath it. Every point of the universe is a fixed point. All you have to do is hang the Pendulum from it. Foucault’s pendulum is an easy experiment demonstrating the Earth’s rotation.

earths rotation

Proclaimer
    Participant

Mike. Admit your wrong.

pride

Proclaimer
    Participant

Why has no one taken a photo of the Sun from above, if the sun is local?

This is what a sunset looks like from above Altocumulus clouds at 30,000 ft near O’ahu, Hawai’i.

sundown

Proclaimer
    Participant

I debated a flat earther once. He stormed off saying he’d walk to the edge of the earth to prove me wrong. I’m sure he’ll come around, eventually.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Destroying Flat Earth Without Using Science – Part 4: The Conspiracy

Proclaimer
    Participant

Mike believes the people in this video are liars

Proclaimer
    Participant

Mike.

Maybe there is something to this flat earth thing.

Here is a photo taken by FLATA (equivalent of NASA but studies the flat earth).
    Was taken before PhotoShop was discovered.

fe

Proclaimer
    Participant

flerfers-downunder

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hey @gadam123

I asked you a question.

What is your no1 flat earth bible verse.

If you avoid me, it means you are defeated.

Viewing 20 posts - 4,961 through 4,980 (of 6,415 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account