False gods/idols vrs the one true god

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 279 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 10 2013,10:30)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 09 2013,16:43)
    And if the scriptures state there were many saviours, they went as His representatives, and without Him they could do nothing.

The scriptures DO state that, Marty.  I'm sure you realize that Jesus is one of those saviors, right?  And Nehemiah 9:27 speaks of saviors that Jehovah has sent, while Obadiah 1:21 speaks of saviors Jehovah will send.

So how do YOU reconcile those two scriptures with Isaiah 43:11?  If you say these other saviors were God's “representatives”, I won't argue with you, because that much is true.  But if you say that, then you must also concede that the statement “there is no savior besides me” in Is 43:11 is emphatic.

What I don't see you doing is calling these saviors Jehovah sent “false saviors”, or “so-called saviors”.  Why not?  Why would you explain that these OTHER saviors “went as His representatives, and without Him they could do nothing”, but you won't say the same exact thing about the other gods?   ???  

And although He, God, called those who were acting as His representatives “gods” or in Jesus case “god”, they are not literally gods or god but represent the “Only True God”.

And were the other saviors literally saviors?

You display a clear double standard, Marty.  You clearly understand that Jesus is not evil just because “only God is good”.  You understand that when “everything” is placed at Jesus' feet, it doesn't LITERALLY include God as well.  You understand that the saviors God sent, like Jesus Christ, were truly saviors, and that the statement “there is no savior besides me” is emphatic, and not literal.  You understand that it means God is the ultimate savior, and these other ones wouldn't be saviors at all if not for Him.

But you don't understand these same things when it comes to the word “god”.  And that, my friend, is because you can't stop defining “god” as “The Most High Creator of All Things”.  If that was the Biblical definition of “el” or “theos”, then I'd be right with you declaring there is LITERALLY only one of them.

But that is NOT the definition of “el” and “theos” in scripture.  This is:  Any of various beings conceived of as supernatural, immortal, and having special powers over the lives and affairs of people and the course of nature.

If you ever allow yourself to accept this accurate scriptural definition of “god”, then you will come to understand that while many of these beings exist, Jehovah alone is the MOST HIGH among them, and the God and Creator OF all the other ones.

Until that time, there is no need for us to talk further on this subject.  Because right now, it's like I'm showing you that many buildings exist, while you're insisting that the word “building” means “ONLY the Empire State Building”.

Just keep remembering how you understand the emphatic concepts of “none good but God”, and “everything is placed at his feet”, and “know all things” and “no savior besides me”……….. but you REFUSE to understand that same exact concept when it comes to the word “god”.

And never forget that Jehovah couldn't possibly be the MOST HIGH god if there existed no less high gods.

Nor could He be the god OF gods if there existed no other gods for Him to be the god OF.

Hi Mike:

Like comparing apples and oranges. Not the same thing.

We have already shown by the scriptures that the gods of the nations are no gods at all, although people worship them as gods. And we have already stated that anything or anyone can worshipped as god, but all that is idolatry.

And so, the only discussion about gods or god that we have left to discuss is the fact that God called the angels, judges gods, and Jesus He called “god” and if anyone could be considered “a god” it would be Jesus because he obeyed God without sin even unto death on the cross, and because of His position as head of the church, but he said that he was the Son of God, and said that he was ascending to His Father, and God and to our Father and God.

And he said:

Jhn 17:1

These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
    Jhn 17:2
    As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
    Jhn 17:3
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Sorry Mike, no compromise, this is the Word of God as I understand it. Teach what you want.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 11 2013,00:55)

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 10 2013,10:30)

And if the scriptures state there were many saviours, they went as His representatives, and without Him they could do nothing.

The scriptures DO state that, Marty.  I'm sure you realize that Jesus is one of those saviors, right?  And Nehemiah 9:27 speaks of saviors that Jehovah has sent, while Obadiah 1:21 speaks of saviors Jehovah will send.

So how do YOU reconcile those two scriptures with Isaiah 43:11?  If you say these other saviors were God's “representatives”, I won't argue with you, because that much is true.  But if you say that, then you must also concede that the statement “there is no savior besides me” in Is 43:11 is emphatic.

What I don't see you doing is calling these saviors Jehovah sent “false saviors”, or “so-called saviors”.  Why not?  Why would you explain that these OTHER saviors “went as His representatives, and without Him they could do nothing”, but you won't say the same exact thing about the other gods?   ???  

And although He, God, called those who were acting as His representatives “gods” or in Jesus case “god”, they are not literally gods or god but represent the “Only True God”.

And were the other saviors literally saviors?

You display a clear double standard, Marty.  You clearly understand that Jesus is not evil just because “only God is good”.  You understand that when “everything” is placed at Jesus' feet, it doesn't LITERALLY include God as well.  You understand that the saviors God sent, like Jesus Christ, were truly saviors, and that the statement “there is no savior besides me” is emphatic, and not literal.  You understand that it means God is the ultimate savior, and these other ones wouldn't be saviors at all if not for Him.

But you don't understand these same things when it comes to the word “god”.  And that, my friend, is because you can't stop defining “god” as “The Most High Creator of All Things”.  If that was the Biblical definition of “el” or “theos”, then I'd be right with you declaring there is LITERALLY only one of them.

But that is NOT the definition of “el” and “theos” in scripture.  This is:  Any of various beings conceived of as supernatural, immortal, and having special powers over the lives and affairs of people and the course of nature.

If you ever allow yourself to accept this accurate scriptural definition of “god”, then you will come to understand that while many of these beings exist, Jehovah alone is the MOST HIGH among them, and the God and Creator OF all the other ones.

Until that time, there is no need for us to talk further on this subject.  Because right now, it's like I'm showing you that many buildings exist, while you're insisting that the word “building” means “ONLY the Empire State Building”.

Just keep remembering how you understand the emphatic concepts of “none good but God”, and “everything is placed at his feet”, and “know all things” and “no savior besides me”……….. but you REFUSE to understand that same exact concept when it comes to the word “god”.

And never forget that Jehovah couldn't possibly be the MOST HIGH god if there existed no less high gods.

Nor could He be the god OF gods if there existed no other gods for Him to be the god OF.

Hi Mike:

Like comparing apples and oranges.  Not the same thing.

We have already shown by the scriptures that the gods of the nations are no gods at all, although people worship them as gods. And we have already stated that anything or anyone can worshipped as god, but all that is idolatry.

And so, the only discussion about gods or god that we have left to discuss is the fact that God called the angels, judges gods, and Jesus He called “god” and if anyone could be considered “a god” it would be Jesus because he obeyed God without sin even unto death on the cross, and because of His position as head of the church, but he said that he was the Son of God, and said that he was ascending to His Father, and God and to our Father and God.

And he said:

Jhn 17:1

These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
    Jhn 17:2
    As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
    Jhn 17:3
    And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Sorry Mike, no compromise, this is the Word of God as I understand it.  Teach what you want.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

MARTY

:D  :D  :D

Sorry Mike, no compromise, this is the Word of God as I understand it.  Teach what you want.

Jn 17:4 I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.
    Jn 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you ” BEFORE”  the world began.

CLAUSTROFOBIA CAN BE EALTHED

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 10 2013,12:55)
    …….if anyone could be considered “a god” it would be Jesus………..

Okay then. Let's focus on Jesus for a minute.

1. God foretold through Isaiah that Jesus would be called a mighty god.

2. The writer of Hebrews 1:8 confirms that God Himself calls Jesus a god.

3. Depending on the mss you use, John called Jesus the only begotten god in John 1:18.

4. The fact that Jesus is the Son of the MOST HIGH god doesn't eliminate him from being A god. After all, you acknowledge that angels are called gods, and they are also sons of the MOST HIGH god.

Please correct me with scripture on any of the above claims that are inaccurate.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Mike:

Like comparing apples and oranges.  Not the same thing.

So it is an orange to say everything has been placed at his feet”, without meaning it LITERALLY?

And it is an orange to say “no one is good but God alone” without meaning it LITERALLY?

And it is an orange to say “you know all things Lord” without meaning it LITERALLY?

And it is an orange to say “there is no savior besides me” without meaning it LITERALLY?

But it is an APPLE to say “there is no elohim besides me” without meaning it LITERALLY?    ???

Like I said………….. “Double Standard”.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 11 2013,02:22)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 10 2013,21:12)
    Marty………You have it right there is ONLY ONE “TRUE” GOD, Just as Jesus said and if he said there is ONLY ONE “TRUE: then all others are “FALSE” Gods. So while there are many “FALSE” God there is ONLY ONE “TRUE” GOD, and yes The ONLY TRUE GOD is also the GOD of all those FALSE GODS to.

Marty remember the saying,  it is hard to corner a snake in a brier patch. God said emphatically he looked and found “NO OTHER GODS”, but some think they know more then He does and are able to tell us what he “REALLY” means, They are not able to understand the word GOD is a “PERSONALLY” Applied  word that can ONLY APPLY to the PERSON themselves. So any one can have another GOD to themselves, but those personal God are false God to everyone else except them and we are told we are not to have any other GOD besides the “ONLY” TRUE” GOD.  IMO

peace and love to you and yours Marty……………………………gene

gene

you would compliment the devil himself ;for the way he does make himself “A ANGEL OF LIGHT “

Terricca………..You guys are the ones saying he is a God not I , And Jesus overcame him by quoting the word of God and the Word of GOd says There are not other Gods besides the ONLY ONE TRUE GOD> according to Jesus, So i really think you Guys are more servants of you master the Devil then those you “ACCUSE”. IMO

gene

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 11 2013,19:59)

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 11 2013,02:22)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 10 2013,21:12)
    Marty………You have it right there is ONLY ONE “TRUE” GOD, Just as Jesus said and if he said there is ONLY ONE “TRUE: then all others are “FALSE” Gods. So while there are many “FALSE” God there is ONLY ONE “TRUE” GOD, and yes The ONLY TRUE GOD is also the GOD of all those FALSE GODS to.

Marty remember the saying,  it is hard to corner a snake in a brier patch. God said emphatically he looked and found “NO OTHER GODS”, but some think they know more then He does and are able to tell us what he “REALLY” means, They are not able to understand the word GOD is a “PERSONALLY” Applied  word that can ONLY APPLY to the PERSON themselves. So any one can have another GOD to themselves, but those personal God are false God to everyone else except them and we are told we are not to have any other GOD besides the “ONLY” TRUE” GOD.  IMO

peace and love to you and yours Marty……………………………gene

gene

you would compliment the devil himself ;for the way he does make himself “A ANGEL OF LIGHT “

Terricca………..You guys are the ones saying he is a God not I ,  And Jesus overcame him by quoting the word of God and the Word of GOd says There are not other Gods besides the ONLY ONE TRUE GOD> according to Jesus, So i really think you Guys are more servants of you master the Devil then those you “ACCUSE”. IMO

gene

GENE

all your quotes or most of them ;shows your ignorance of all scriptures ,and you can not see it ,

your ego is killing you from the inside out ,

all your knowledge is a amount of rubble,and non sense ,you never have proven with scriptures and understanding of them that you know them as they should be “IN TRUTH “OF GOD ” NOT YOUR TRUTH OF YOUR IMAGINATION ,

YOU HAVE BACKFILLS, QUESTIONS “QUOTES ” YEARS OLD ,YOU NEVER ADDRESSED PROPERLY AND TRUTHFULLY ,WHAT DO YOU THING THAT STANDS FOR ???????????????????

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 11 2013,08:24)

…….if anyone could be considered “a god” it would be Jesus………..

Okay then.  Let's focus on Jesus for a minute.

1.  God foretold through Isaiah that Jesus would be called a mighty god.

2.  The writer of Hebrews 1:8 confirms that God Himself calls Jesus a god.

3.  Depending on the mss you use, John called Jesus the only begotten god in John 1:18.

4.  The fact that Jesus is the Son of the MOST HIGH god doesn't eliminate him from being A god.  After all, you acknowledge that angels are called gods, and they are also sons of the MOST HIGH god.

Please correct me with scripture on any of the above claims that are inaccurate.

Hi Mike:

The scripture in from Isaiah quoted from Isaiah states “his name shall be called”… It does not say “he shall be called”…

Isa 9:6

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: [b]and his name shall be called[/size[/b[ Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

As you see, his name shall not only be called The mighty, God, but Wonderful, Counselor, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

These are all elements of his character as displayed by his life as He obeyed God. You know that he is not “The Everlasting Father”, and this is included in these names that “he shall be called”.

TWOT Reference: 2405

Outline of Biblical Usage

I.
    name
    A.
    name

B.
    reputation, fame, glory

C.
    the Name (as designation of God)

D.
    memorial, monument

This would be more like dictionary definition “B” above. We know that his actual name is “Jesus”, and not any of the names listed above.

As to your point #2 you say that the writer of Hebrews confirms that God Himself calls Jesus “a god”.

No, I will quote the scripture for you and tell me if it states that He calls Jesus ” a god”.

Hbr 1:8

But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Dictionary Aids

Vine's Expository Dictionary: View Entry

TDNT Reference: 3:65,322

Outline of Biblical Usage

I.
    a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities

II.
    the Godhead, trinity
    A.
    God the Father, the first person in the trinity

A.
    God the Father, the first person in the trinity

B.
    Christ, the second person of the trinity

C.
    Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity

III.
    spoken of the only and true God
    A.
    refers to the things of God

B.
    his counsels, interests, things due to him

IV.
    whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way
    A.
    God's representative or viceregent
    i.
    of magistrates and judges

This would be more like the dictionary definition listed under IV above, since the scriptures state that Jesus is “the express image of God's person, and he is God's representative to humanity as God's Christ, and the head of the church.

Your point #3 relative to what manuscript you read for John 1:18.

(I will use the correct one which agrees with the rest of the scriptures stating that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God)

As to your point #4, If God has stated that He is God alone,and there is no other, and Jesus stated that there is only One True God then there must be an explanation as to how God calls angels, and judges “gods”, and that He calls Jesus “god”.

It would be more like “godlike” because of being partakers the divine nature and also because of being God's representatives. Like “being “in the form of God” does not make Jesus God, does it?

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Marty,

Let's forget your list of various definitions of the words “elohim” for a minute.

The fact is that Jehovah said there was no elohim besides Him, but then in Psalm 45:6 said, “Your throne, O elohim will last for ever and ever……..”

So the FACT is that Jehovah Himself called this king (later identified in Heb 1 as Jesus) elohim.

Now unless the king to whom Jehovah was talking was Jehovah Himself, there MUST exist at least one other elohim besides Jehovah.

Now, let's play a little game…………

pres·i·dent

1. ( often initial capital letter ) the highest executive officer of a modern republic, as the Chief Executive of the United States.

2. an officer appointed or elected to preside over an organized body of persons.

3. the chief officer of a college, university, society, corporation, etc.

4. a person who presides.

Let's say the Secretary of State was trying to pull off a coup by taking over the Presidency of the United States.  He was getting a lot of supporters who were starting to treat him as the Chief Executive of the United States.

But Mr. Obama went on television and addressed the public, in an attempt to thwart the plans of the Secretary of State.  He said, “I am the ONLY president in the United States!  Is there another one?  I looked around and found none, because there is none besides me!”

Hmmmm…………….  What about the presidents of the thousands of colleges in the U.S. (definition #3)?  What about the president of Microsoft?  Or GM?  Or AT&T?  Do all these other legitimate presidents all of a sudden become “false presidents”, or “man-made presidents” just because of that emphatic statement made by Obama?  Do they all of a sudden not exist anymore because of this emphatic statement?

Or would you have the brains to understand that Obama was talking only about the office of the MOST HIGH President of the United States?

Obama is LITERALLY the only MOST HIGH President in the United States, Marty.  But he is NOT literally the ONLY president in the United States.  There also exist many other less high presidents, who cannot really be compared to Obama because their power is so much less than the power of the MOST HIGH President in the United States.

Try to understand “no elohim besides me” in that same light, Marty.  I can see from the final words of your post that you are confused, knowing that “there must be an explanation as to how God calls angels, and judges 'gods', and that He calls Jesus 'god' “, but not finding one that you can really rely on.  You are now down to altering the word “god” to “godlike” – just to help you out of your confusion.

Just remember that in Psalm 45:6 and Hebrews 1:8, Jesus IS called elohim.  And since we both know that Jesus is not the MOST HIGH elohim who created him, then he must be a less high elohim who is not Jehovah.

And since Jesus DOES exist, but is not a “false god”, or a “man-made idol”, it means that we cannot take Jehovah's words “no elohim beside me” in a LITERAL way……….. any more than we can take His words “no rock besides me” LITERALLY (Is 44:8) – for we know there exist many other rocks.

Participant

Hi Mike:

So, He is Elohim, the God of gods, and the LORD of Lords, and we have shown that although people of the nations worshiped different things or persons as gods, that they were not gods at all, and so, they are “so called gods”, and so, He is the God of these “so called gods” that have no power at all.

But yes, let's use the definition “godlike” for angels, judges, who were called “gods” by God and Jesus who was called “god” by God because it fits in that they were that as God's representatives, and Jesus is the “Express image of God's person” (Hebrews 1) and he was and is “in the form of god” as God's Lord and Christ, and it agrees with the scriptures.

1 Co 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

So does the fact that Mr. Obama went on T.V. and said he was the ONLY president in the U.S. alter the status of the President of AT&T?  Did he all of a sudden become a “so-called president” that only certain people had made into their own personal president………. when in fact he wasn't a real president at all?  Just because Obama EMPHATICALLY placed himself ABOVE all the other presidents by saying he was the ONLY one?   ???

NO Marty.  The President of AT&T remains a real president DESPITE the fact that Obama EMPHATICALLY called himself the ONLY president in the U.S.

And NO, I wasn't saying we should ALTER the scriptures and change the NOUN “god” to the ADJECTIVE “godlike” – just to suit our personal preferences.  Instead, I was pointing out that because you personally can't understand how Jehovah can be the “ONLY” God, while also calling other ones gods, YOU have been reduced to ALTERING the scriptures.  I was not saying that I was going along with you on that scheme.

There do indeed exist MANY gods, both in heaven and on earth.  Jehovah is the MOST HIGH of all of them.  He is the God OF the rest of the gods.

Scripture clearly says all three of those things I just posted, Marty.  And I can believe those scriptural things WITHOUT altering the scriptures to suit my personal preferences.

peace,
    mike

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Marty,

What about Isaiah 44:8?
    NRSV ©
    There is no other rock; I know not one.

Is Jehovah LITERALLY the ONLY rock in all of existence?  

Or is the meaning of His words more like the Message Bible translates them?

There's no Rock like me that I know of.

Which one?

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 20 2013,11:45)
    Marty,

What about Isaiah 44:8?
    NRSV ©
    There is no other rock; I know not one.

Is Jehovah LITERALLY the ONLY rock in all of existence?  

Or is the meaning of His words more like the Message Bible translates them?

There's no Rock like me that I know of.

Which one?

Hi Mike:

Maybe not, but He is only Living Rock who can make all the other rocks fall on you.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

So then, even though He specifically said, “THERE IS NO OTHER ROCK”, we don't take those words in a LITERAL way, right? Because we know from other scriptures that there really exist MANY rocks, right?

Participant

Mike:

We have already stated there were other “so called gods”, but the scriptures states that there is “Only One True God”, and so, you can compare anything you want to this, but it will not change the scriptures.

I believe that you have run out of arguments, and the case is closed.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Oh I've got a lot more arguments, Marty.

What we've run out of is ANSWERS from you.  :)

Please tell me how Jehovah could say, “THERE IS NO OTHER ROCK”, when we know many rocks exist.

Or better yet, simply tell me if His words in Isaiah 44:8 are to be taken LITERALLY by us.

Are they? YES or NO?

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 20 2013,12:29)

Please tell me how Jehovah could say, “THERE IS NO OTHER ROCK”, when we know many rocks exist.

Or better yet, simply tell me if His words in Isaiah 44:8 are to be taken LITERALLY by us.

Are they?  YES or NO?

No, Mike:

We have already posted a scripture that states that the “gods of the nations” or not gods at all, they have no power, although there are those who make call them gods and worship them as gods.

And for me, judges, angels, are called gods by God, and Jesus is called “god” by God, and what makes sense that they are “godlike”, by being partakers of the divine nature, or in their position of authority as representatives of God.

The scriptures state that God “made man in His image” and Jesus is “the express image of God's person”, and he “is in the form of god” and the head of the church, but he himself stated that he was not God, and he stated that he “was the Son of God”. Jesus is a man, and the scriptures also state that “God is not a man”.

And so, for me, as a Christian, the is Only One God, my heavenly Father, and so, you can ramble on all that you want.

If you want other gods, you can have them. You can make any thing or anyone “a god”, but all that is idolatry.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 20 2013,07:44)

Are they?  YES or NO?

No, Mike:

We have already posted a scripture that states that the “gods of the nations” or not gods at all, they have no power, although there are those who make call them gods and worship them as gods.

And for me, judges, angels, are called gods by God, and Jesus is called “god” by God, and what makes sense that they are “godlike”, by being partakers of the divine nature, or in their position of authority as representatives of God.

The scriptures state that God “made man in His image” and Jesus is “the express image of God's person”, and he “is in the form of god” and the head of the church, but he himself stated that he was not God, and he stated that he “was the Son of God”.  Jesus is a man, and the scriptures also state that “God is not a man”.

And so, for me, as a Christian, the is Only One God, my heavenly Father, and so, you can ramble on all that you want.

If you want other gods, you can have them.  You can make any thing or anyone “a god”, but all that is idolatry.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Marty

How could Christ be a man ,if he as no human father ,like all other men ???

If you are The Son of the living God ,would this not make you in title and rang a god ??? I think so

Not a god to be equal to the one that created you ,but a god never less and not a false god, unless he would claim to be equal to his father,then that would make him a false claim

And so it is with all other gods known to men only by their claim are they called false not by their powers ,this was the case with the gods of Egypt and Moses,

The word god only means mighty ones ,just because you say that their are no mighty people on this planet does not mean their are none ,only in your head ,not reality,

King Nebu was a god he run the world ,and ad his people life's in his hand ,this is mighty powers don,t you think???

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 19 2013,19:44)

Are they?  YES or NO?

No, Mike:

Correct……… which makes the rest of what you said in your post irrelevant.

The truth is that Jehovah is NOT literally the ONLY rock in existence, despite the fact He clearly said He was. The fact is that Jehovah was speaking EMPHATICALLY, and not LITERALLY when He said He was the only rock. We know this because many other rocks are mentioned in the scriptures.

And the fact is that He was also speaking EMPHATICALLY, and not LITERALLY, when He said there was no god besides Himself. We know this because many other gods are mentioned in the scriptures.

Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Sep. 22 2013,09:48)

Quote (942767 @ Sep. 19 2013,19:44)

Are they?  YES or NO?

No, Mike:

Correct……… which makes the rest of what you said in your post irrelevant.

The truth is that Jehovah is NOT literally the ONLY rock in existence, despite the fact He clearly said He was.  The fact is that Jehovah was speaking EMPHATICALLY, and not LITERALLY when He said He was the only rock.  We know this because many other rocks are mentioned in the scriptures.

And the fact is that He was also speaking EMPHATICALLY, and not LITERALLY, when He said there was no god besides Himself.  We know this because many other gods are mentioned in the scriptures.

Hi Mike:

Thought that you might like to read this in context:

Isaiah 44

8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God(Rock); I know not any.

9 They that make a graven image are all of them vanity; and their delectable things shall not profit; and they are their own witnesses; they see not, nor know; that they may be ashamed.

10 Who hath formed a god, or molten a graven image that is profitable for nothing?

11 Behold, all his fellows shall be ashamed: and the workmen, they are of men: let them all be gathered together, let them stand up; yet they shall fear, and they shall be ashamed together.

12 The smith with the tongs both worketh in the coals, and fashioneth it with hammers, and worketh it with the strength of his arms: yea, he is hungry, and his strength faileth: he drinketh no water, and is faint.

13 The carpenter stretcheth out his rule; he marketh it out with a line; he fitteth it with planes, and he marketh it out with the compass, and maketh it after the figure of a man, according to the beauty of a man; that it may remain in the house.

14 He heweth him down cedars, and taketh the cypress and the oak, which he strengtheneth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth an ash, and the rain doth nourish it.

15 Then shall it be for a man to burn: for he will take thereof, and warm himself; yea, he kindleth it, and baketh bread; yea, he maketh a god, and worshippeth it; he maketh it a graven image, and falleth down thereto.

16 He burneth part thereof in the fire; with part thereof he eateth flesh; he roasteth roast, and is satisfied: yea, he warmeth himself, and saith, Aha, I am warm, I have seen the fire:

17 And the residue thereof he maketh a god, even his graven image: he falleth down unto it, and worshippeth it, and prayeth unto it, and saith, Deliver me; for thou art my god.

18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.

19 And none considereth in his heart, neither is there knowledge nor understanding to say, I have burned part of it in the fire; yea, also I have baked bread upon the coals thereof; I have roasted flesh, and eaten it: and shall I make the residue thereof an abomination? shall I fall down to the stock of a tree?

20 He feedeth on ashes: a deceived heart hath turned him aside, that he cannot deliver his soul, nor say, Is there not a lie in my right hand?

21 Remember these, O Jacob and Israel; for thou art my servant: I have formed thee; thou art my servant: O Israel, thou shalt not be forgotten of me.

22 I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee.

23 Sing, O ye heavens; for the Lord hath done it: shout, ye lower parts of the earth: break forth into singing, ye mountains, O forest, and every tree therein: for the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, and glorified himself in Israel.

24 Thus saith the Lord, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the Lord that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

25 That frustrateth the tokens of the liars, and maketh diviners mad; that turneth wise men backward, and maketh their knowledge foolish;

26 That confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers; that saith to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be inhabited; and to the cities of Judah, Ye shall be built, and I will raise up the decayed places thereof:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Yes Marty,

Men have often made graven images and worshiped them as if they were gods all throughout history.

Does the fact remain that Jehovah said He was the ONLY rock when we know there exist other rocks? YES.

Does the fact remain that Jehovah said there was no god besides Him when we know there exist other gods? YES.

Get in line with the scriptures, Marty. Although there DO INDEED exist many gods, we have as OUR OWN God only the Father who created all things.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 279 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account