FAITH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 227 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ April 08 2008,15:58)
    Hi not3,
    It would perhaps if you were not given light on it.
    The light illuminates the darkness.

But this is exactly my point, or my fear. What if I'm not given “light” on the errors? How will I know what is truth and what is not?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ April 08 2008,15:59)
    There are “religions” and then there is a personal relationship with God, and that relationship can only be through the means that God has provided.

Perhaps according to the Christian religion God has provided Jesus. And perhaps according to some Indian religion, God has provided the Sun.

I guess when it boils down to it, we are talking about allegiance to the bible.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Did you get the FBI to check that Mum was not putting arsenic in your wheaties?
    Sooner or later you have to trust that God looks after His people and the Word.
    Lots of little challenges but nothing that can overwhelm our trust in Him.

Not3in1
    Participant

Maybe not overwhelm our trust in HIM, but certainly in the written word about Him.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Do not look away but study more

Not3in1
    Participant

I'm actually taking a break from studying. I've had it for a while. I'm tempted to be done with religion all together. It seems that everyone has the truth. And it certainly becomes harder and harder to determine who is right and who is wrong.

I'm tempted just to live by the Golden Rule and call it good.

theodorej
    Participant

Greetings Not 3in1…….You would be wise to be done with religion,for one thing it is very confusing, how is that there are so many religions and they are all correct in their teachings…The best case for this argument is traditional christianty…There are those who study scripture and have the ability to recite chapter and verse…The bible is confusing by design so the wise and the learned will not be able to see unless they become as little children..(humble and contrite )….I seek wisdom so as to understand Gods law and his plan for all of us…To understand the commandments (10 )of God would be the beginning of wisdom and with that wisdom you will find truth…The scriptures as I see it point to Gods law and his plan for all of us to some day be with him in his kingdom (aka government ) here on earth earth….

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ April 08 2008,15:57)
    Well, actually one flaw in the bible would poison – 1 John 5:7 KJV

Hi Mandy,
    One flaw like 1 John 5:7 in the bible may not poison, but it certainly adds credence to the idea of caution when believing the innerancy of the bible.

If not for nearly universal acceptance of scholars that 1 John 5:7 was an insertion, I am sure that Nick would still be defending it as truth because it is scripture. In other words it took other men to point out the flaw. Not the Holy Spirit guiding him.

Then again perhaps that is just conjecture on my part, perhaps Nick still believes that 1 John 5:7 still belongs in the bible.

Tim

Cato
    Participant

Timothy,
    Along with 1 John 5:7 there is also 1 Timothy 3:16 (KJV), summing up both passages, the great Sir Isaac Newton said: “If the ancient churches in debating and deciding the greatest mysteries of religion, knew nothing of these two texts, I understand not, why we should be so fond of them now the debates are over.”

Cato
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ April 08 2008,20:28)
    The scriptures as I see it point to Gods law and his plan for all of us to some day be with him in his kingdom (aka government ) here on earth earth….

By scripture I take it you mean the Bible, which I see not as God's word, but men's ideas of such.  If you want God's law and not man's you must look to mathematics and physics.  To quote Payne, “Now, which am I to believe, a book that any impostor might make and call the Word of God, or the creation itself which none but an Almighty Power could make? For the Bible says one thing, and the creation says the contrary. The Bible represents God with all the passions of a mortal, and the creation proclaims him with all the attributes of a God.”

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Cato,
    I had never seen that quote by Payne before.
    I really like that.

Tim

theodorej
    Participant

Quote (Cato @ April 09 2008,02:50)

The scriptures as I see it point to Gods law and his plan for all of us to some day be with him in his kingdom (aka government ) here on earth earth….

By scripture I take it you mean the Bible, which I see not as God's word, but men's ideas of such.  If you want God's law and not man's you must look to mathematics and physics.  To quote Payne, “Now, which am I to believe, a book that any impostor might make and call the Word of God, or the creation itself which none but an Almighty Power could make? For the Bible says one thing, and the creation says the contrary. The Bible represents God with all the passions of a mortal, and the creation proclaims him with all the attributes of a God.”

Greetings Cato….I would think that the bible as we know it today is the inspired word of God put to pen by fallible man and nothwithsatanding the intent by certain interpretors to rewrite it,for the most part bares out the revelations God has intended to pass to man….When we speak of the science of mathmatics I can't think of a better application of Gods intention to reveal to man the wonders of his universe with respect to the level of technology we have at our disposal today….Surely you can't think that if God had allowed this technology to develope 200 years ago we would not have used it by now to destroy each other….My feeling is the technology today avilable through the science of mathmatics,biology and physics speaks to the impending end of the world as we know it….eg the end times

Quote (theodorej @ April 09 2008,03:55)

Greetings Cato….I would think that the bible as we know it today is the inspired word of God put to pen by fallible man and nothwithsatanding the intent by certain interpretors to rewrite it,for the most part bares out the revelations God has intended to pass to man….When we speak of the science of mathmatics I can't think of a better application of Gods intention to reveal to man the wonders of his universe with respect to the level of technology we have at our disposal today….Surely you can't think that if God had allowed this technology to develope 200 years ago we would not have used it by now to destroy each other….My feeling is the technology today avilable through the science of mathmatics,biology and physics speaks to the impending end of the world as we know it….eg the end times

Theodorej! When i read your posts, it surley reminds me of Mr. Armstrongs teaching. It does make sense, that 2000 years went by and not happend until now, that it is for the purpose of God's Plan for the end times. No other time in History has there been any means of destroying mankind as it is now. Will it happen soon? All the sign are here. Watch out and be ready for the soon coming Kingdom of God, to finally bring peace to this world.  I am so ready for that.
    Peace and Love Mrs.

theodorej
    Participant

Greetings Mrs…..I have studied most of HWAs' writings….The man opened a whole world of new theology to me,with a perspective unique to the study of Gods word ….I have learned much…

theodorej It is because of Mr. Armstrong's slogan of ” Dust of your Bible and start reading it”, we did. In the Catholic Church we never opened the Bible, we had the catechism and that was all we thought we needed.
    Since the split of the W.W.C. we have studied at Home alone. Our understanding has succeeded that of the theology of Mr. Armstrong.
    I have a Tread called the Covenants were I have a dialog with Ken, who no longer is with us. We are not under the Old Covenant that God made with Israel. If you look through all of the Bible you will find several Covenants that God made with different people at their times.
    Jesus Christ fulfilled most if not all of the old Testaments Law. He then made them Spiritual on the sermon on the mount. We do not live by the letter of the law anymore. The Law is written on our Hearts now. There is so much more that we have learned. Just this past year God opened our eyes to the truth that Jesus preexisted. There is also a tread on that. When somebody told made us aware of it, we said:” You have to kidding us.” It took some more convincing on our part before we agreed. I have found it so amazing how the Holy Spirit of God can work in you. But I tell you once you know, that is it.
    Please read those tread that I mentioned, you might be amazed like I was. We grow each day, if we don't we should pray to God to show us more truths and He will.
    I will always remember Mr. Armstrong and appreciate what He did. But just like so many religious Organizations, He too had errors.

Peace and Love Mrs.
    P.S. In the millenium we will know all truths. In fact it says that the truth will cover the earth like water covers the sea. No more guessing.

Cato
    Participant

Quote (theodorej @ April 09 2008,03:55)
    ….Surely you can't think that if God had allowed this technology to develope 200 years ago we would not have used it by now to destroy each other….My feeling is the technology today avilable through the science of mathmatics,biology and physics speaks to the impending end of the world as we know it….eg the end times

Why would God prevent this 200 years ago only to allow it now, so we could be destoyed now, instead of then?  So God does not send prophets just visions of the future end times he is actively engaged in carrying them out also?  I guess if you follow the OT attributes of God, that he makes mistakes, has regrets, all sorts of negative human emotions (anger, wrath, jealousy), oh and lets us not forget a special chosen people like described throughout the OT, it makes sense.

As for Mr. Armstong, and son, I remember the World Tomorrow, and his Plain Truth magazines, they were predicting the end, every couple of years and constantly changing the dates.  The Cold War was tailored made for such prognosticating.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Where does scripture say that man will destroy himself.
    Vanity, vanity. All is vanity.

theodorej
    Participant

Greetings Cato…..Needless to say the Armstrongs ,father and son are no longer with us,however ,the teachings of the world tomorrow have managed to survive….A basic premise of HWAs' teaching was the 7day creation week to emulate a7000 year plan for salvation,which consisted of 6000 years for man to rule himself and just short of being able to destroy all life on this earth God will step in and prevent it.( appx now ) and at that time the millenial reign for a thousand years will bring the government of God to this earth…..In closing to address the non scriptual aspects of human nature it was through mans own personal realization ,that, he had the ability to destroy all life on this planet and knowing that he instituted a defence program called MAD mutually assured destruction which was the core element of the cold war…

Not3in1
    Participant

To quote Payne, “Now, which am I to believe, a book that any impostor might make and call the Word of God, or the creation itself which none but an Almighty Power could make? For the Bible says one thing, and the creation says the contrary. The Bible represents God with all the passions of a mortal, and the creation proclaims him with all the attributes of a God.”

Who is this Payne?  I must add him to my library for he speaks sense!

I've contemplated some things that Stu has shown regarding what the bible teaches is sin, and what we find at work within God's creation.  Homosexuality is just one minor (in my mind) clue that the bible may be influenced by men and not the word of God, necessarily.  Meaning, there are gay animals, there are unisex animals and plants…..  So I ask, why?  Why would there be such in God's creation if his main creation is damned for such behavior?  Questions like these make me wonder.  If creation “proclaims him with all the attributes of a God” – then how can we say the bible is correct on the topic of just one – homosexuality?

By the way, I'm sorry that Stu cannot reply in this thread. However, I will look for his response, if he has any, in the other feedback thread.

theodorej
    Participant

Greetings not3in1…..To answer your question I would think that the human being is the highest order of life on this earth and posesses a free will….where the animal kingdom functions on instinct..

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 227 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account