Do christians believe anything?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    terraricca
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Jan. 08 2013,07:36)

Quote (barley @ Dec. 29 2012,09:57)

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 26 2010,22:07)
    So is god the author of confusion or not?

Stuart

God is not the author of confusion,

Never was and never will be

however He does not overstep man's free will, so if man wishes to confuse himself, that is his choice.

God did not instigate the confusion in Babel.

Man brought it upon themselves.

So, if a man goes to the Grand Canyon and jumps off a cliff into the canyon and dies, in one sense God caused that but only in the sense that God designed and implemented gravity.

However, in a direct sense, that man chose to cause his own death.

Gravity was not the cause, the man's bad action did.

God was not the cause even though gravity is God's doing, the instigator, the man was.

barley

Then free will is the author of confusion and free will is authored by God, is that correct?

man ,you have a lot to learn :(

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Wakeup @ Dec. 30 2012,02:17)

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 13 2012,18:09)

Quote (Wakeup @ Nov. 12 2012,01:07)

Quote (Stu @ Nov. 10 2012,18:18)

Quote (Wakeup @ Nov. 09 2012,22:58)
    You have nothing to explain.

wakeup.

I know that.  And yet you would call me a sinner.

Christianity: the religion that overcomplicates simplistic dogma.

Stuart

Stu.

If there is no God then you are not a sinner.
    If there is no God then there is no punishment.
    Why worry being called a sinner?

Everything you do is good; in your mind only.
    You are free from God ,but a prisoner of your own deeds.
    Your words reflects you as a person. Very dark and angree.

wakeup.

I agree, except for the parts about everything I do being good and me being dark and angree(sic). I'm generally quite an optimistic person, but christianity brings out the worst in me.  And in you too, I think.

As well as being a sinner in the view you attribute to your Imaginary Friend, I am also a mudblood according to the fictional character Harry Potter.  I treat the two descriptions in the same way: generally irrelevant.

Stuart

Stu.

1. You dont beleive in a creator,all just happened.
    2. You believe in history; except the history of Jesus,for that is made up;imaginary.
    3. You dont believe in Good or bad,because you dont know what really is good,all that suits you is good for you.
    4.You just live by your feelings,and do as you feel.
    5. You dont have to fear anything,so you are free to do your thing,even if it harm others, as long as you are not to be seen or caught.
    6. God is just imaginary,and so is good,good is relative.

Just see the world ,how the rich manipulate the poor,for their own benefit; and yet they believe they are doing good by providing them a job.
    Exploiting children,making them work for two dollars a day or less. these are godless peole,with no fear for God.
    They are like brute beasts,not knowing what is good.

The must be a higher being to define that imagenary line betwee good and bad.

wakeup.

I'm always amused when people tell me what I believe.

Especially when I take reasonable care to ask people what they believe, and pay attention to the details so as not to misrepresent them.

But perhaps you know my mind better than I do.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but this is my opinion regarding what you wrote:

I agree that I do believe in your points 1 and 6.

Further:

2. The “history” of Jesus isn't a history. It just isn't reasonable to claim any reliability, whichever of the sometimes conflicting gospel accounts you go with.

3. I do know what I believe to be good, and on the whole I would probably agree with you on a majority of the things we would put in that category. Of course I couldn't agree that the Judeo-christian god is good, and I would cite the Jewish bible as the evidence. Of course we are discussing a fictional character.

4. I don't know what you mean by that. Everyone uses emotion as a factor in the way we live our lives, but it's not the only factor.

5. Would you say that the only reason you behave morally is because your Imaginary Fascist Dictator has you under constant surveillance? The reason I behave morally is because it is the right thing to do.

The exception that disproves the rest of your rant is that of child-raping Catholic priests.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 05 2013,09:20)

Quote (Stu @ Dec. 29 2012,19:14)
    Humans are given “free will”, but no guidance on how to use it wisely when it comes to the hazards of gravity?

Stuart

The guidance you think is lacking is called the conscience. Con Science means With Knowledge.

I see this working even in my own kids. They don't jump of the balcony for example because they have the knowledge that doing that will hurt.

And all men know that murder is wrong for example.

However, rebellious people can sear the conscience so that it doesn't work properly. It can lead to insanity.

You think the conscience is the thing that stops you from stepping off the edge of a balcony?

Is that what the Christian Dictionary™ says?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 05 2013,09:16)

Quote (WhatIsTrue @ Feb. 26 2010,09:23)
    Just curious, but do Christians actually agree on anything?

I have observed over the course of my bible studies that for every doctrine there seems to be two opposing camps within Christianity, and both sides claim biblical support.  So, my question is:

Can you name one belief that is unique to Christianity with which every professed Christian agrees?

Jesus is the son of God and he died for humanities sins and was raised from the dead. Consequently, God's Spirit can now live in redeemed man whereas, before, his spirit could not dwell in man because of sin.

“Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God.”

http://www.religioustolerance.org/resur_lt.htm

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

Free will is giving away sovereignty. When that happens, you have self-rule and the giver takes a risk doing it because the choices that the new entity makes may not necessarily line up with the will of the one who gave the free will or self-rule in the first place.

But as the saying goes, “if you love something, set it free”.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 08 2013,21:36)
    “Many liberal and some mainline Christian leaders believe that Jesus died during the crucifixion, did not resurrect himself, and was not bodily resurrected by God.”

Stuart

Stu every belief that is possible exists within 7 billion people on planet Earth.

I am well aware that many do not believe the gospel. Did you think that I was under the opposite impression?

And as for so-called Christians who do not believe the gospel, well let's just say that they are often paid to do their job. When they lose their faith, they usually don't want to lose their pay, house, and/or car, so remain Christian in title, but not in belief, so they can remain on the payroll.

In other words they continue preaching even though they don't believe anymore. It is often then when you hear unbelief by those who are called Believers.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 08 2013,21:34)
    You think the conscience is the thing that stops you from stepping off the edge of a balcony?

Stuart

Conscience as in “do you have a conscience” is used as a term to describe the understanding of morality, even without a written law. It suggests that we have the knowledge of right and wrong. Further, babies know how to breathe without being taught. So call it what you like, but humans have inbuilt knowledge and when that is seared because of rebellion, then the person starts to lose basic morality and understanding of things that keep the person in good health and a good mental state. Insanity can be the result of rebelling against this inbuilt knowledge. And I believe that denying God is a form of insanity because it is a denial of the most basic reality.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 08 2013,20:31)
    Free will is giving away sovereignty. When that happens, you have self-rule and the giver takes a risk doing it because the choices that the new entity makes may not necessarily line up with the will of the one who gave the free will or self-rule in the first place.

But as the saying goes, “if you love something, set it free”.

But if you don't like it's free choices then there is always eternal destruction by fire.

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 08 2013,20:38)

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 08 2013,21:36)

Stuart

Stu every belief that is possible exists within 7 billion people on planet Earth.

I am well aware that many do not believe the gospel. Did you think that I was under the opposite impression?

And as for so-called Christians who do not believe the gospel, well let's just say that they are often paid to do their job. When they lose their faith, they usually don't want to lose their pay, house, and/or car, so remain Christian in title, but not in belief, so they can remain on the payroll.

In other words they continue preaching even though they don't believe anymore. It is often then when you hear unbelief by those who are called Believers.

Perhaps you could tell us which christians are christians, and which aren't.

It might not take you very long to list all the True Christians.

Maybe the list looks something like this:

t8

Can you think of any others?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Jan. 08 2013,20:46)

Stuart

Conscience as in “do you have a conscience” is used as a term to describe the understanding of morality, even without a written law. It suggests that we have the knowledge of right and wrong. Further, babies know how to breathe without being taught. So call it what you like, but humans have inbuilt knowledge and when that is seared because of rebellion, then the person starts to lose basic morality and understanding of things that keep the person in good health and a good mental state. Insanity can be the result of rebelling against this inbuilt knowledge. And I believe that denying God is a form of insanity because it is a denial of the most basic reality.

My conscience tells me that the god described in the Judeo-christian mythology is evil.

Did that same god give me that conscience?

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 09 2013,07:54)

Stuart

My conscience tells me that the god described in the Judeo-christian mythology is evil.

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

the day you have decided to reject him ,

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 09 2013,14:06)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

I don't think that answers my point.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 10 2013,01:05)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

Stuart

yes it does ,because the day you took action to deny the creator that same day your conscience died ,

it's like you deciding to cut your phone line ,their are two ways to this call up the company or take pliers and literally cut the wires ,and this last way will make an instant stop to your communication by phone right ??? but doing that way may not stop the phone bill to be send to you, :D

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 10 2013,10:14)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

Stuart

yes it does ,because the day you took action to deny the creator that same day your conscience died ,

it's like you deciding to cut your phone line ,their are two ways to this call up the company or take pliers and literally cut the wires ,and this last way will make an instant stop to your communication by phone right ??? but doing that way may not stop the phone bill to be send to you,  :D

There was nothing wrong with my conscience. It was working fine, and still is.

But now you seem to be making threats on behalf of your Imaginary Friend. What evil are you promising it will do to me?

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 10 2013,17:10)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

Stuart

it's like you deciding to cut your phone line ,their are two ways to this call up the company or take pliers and literally cut the wires ,and this last way will make an instant stop to your communication by phone right ??? but doing that way may not stop the phone bill to be send to you,  :D

There was nothing wrong with my conscience.  It was working fine, and still is.

But now you seem to be making threats on behalf of your Imaginary Friend.  What evil are you promising it will do to me?

Stuart

stu

you confusing the conscience and your mind

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 10 2013,22:13)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

Stuart

But now you seem to be making threats on behalf of your Imaginary Friend.  What evil are you promising it will do to me?

Stuart

stu

Where do you keep your conscience??

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 11 2013,00:24)

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 10 2013,22:13)

Stuart

How have I rebelled?

Stuart

Stuart

Stuart

stu

Stuart

stu

in my heart ,but you have lost your so you are left with your own mind ,and logic.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 11 2013,06:41)
    you confusing the conscience and your mind[/quote]

Stuart[/quote]
    stu

in my heart ,but you have lost your so you are left with your own mind ,and logic.

I'm sorry I replied to you.

Please let me know if you are interested in a serious discussion about the point I made earlier.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Jan. 11 2013,03:03)

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 11 2013,06:41)

Stuart[/quote]
    stu

in my heart ,but you have lost your so you are left with your own mind ,and logic.[/quote]
    I'm sorry I replied to you.

Please let me know if you are interested in a serious discussion about the point I made earlier.

Stuart

stu

I do understand your frustration ,but this was the thing I am talking about your conscience is dead this is why you only have now your own mind and what you have put in it ,

don't complain about it YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANT AND PUT IN IT ,

just like going to the bank you only can get out what you put in it ,and collect interest on what you have kept in it

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 11 2013,09:14)
    I do understand your frustration

I don't think you do…

Stuart

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account