Conception

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,479 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    Paul lived in a tent of flesh.
    2Cor 5
    ” 1For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

3If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. “
    While would you make Christ different?

Is 1:18
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 25 2007,18:39)
    Hi not3,
    At the Jordan.

NH,
    IYO, was Jesus filled with the Holy Spirit before baptism at the Jordan?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 26 2007,16:01)
    Hi not3,
    Paul lived in a tent of flesh.
    2Cor 5
    ” 1For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

3If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. “
    While would you make Christ different?

Ha….it is not me who is trying to make Jesus different from Paul, it is you my dear brother.

Paul was conceived and born. He has a natural body. He will give up that natural body for a spiritual one – this is our hope as well?

If you would like to compare Jesus to Paul, I would be more than happy to do that. However Paul was not preexistent, and Paul began at conception. Your Jesus is quite different from Paul in those respects.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    Not at all.
    God, his father, was with him and taught him to value and gather the treasures in the Word.
    Then to fulfill all righteousness he submitted to water baptism and was baptised in the Spirit of God at the Jordan.

Participant

Yes, but did he have the Holy Spirit in Him before baptism at the Jordon?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    No.
    He was conceived of God by the Spirit but was a weak and puny man just like you and I.

Participant

That's interesting. So you are saying that a “weak and puny man” lived sinlessly for 30 years in succession. How do you explain that?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,
    He was born of Mary and shared her estate.
    He was tempted in all ways but never once sinned.
    God was with him guiding him and he could never have a better Dad.

Participant

And although John the Baptiser was “filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb” (Luke 1:15), Yeshua wasn't?

Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ June 26 2007,16:25)
    Hi Is 1.18,

An empty vessel (your words) is capable of 30 years of sinless existence? I think that's an untenable notion….

Not3in1
    Participant

Hi Is 1.18,

Really, Nick, I allow God to guide me but I still sin.

There has to be more to it than this?

Not3in1
    Participant

Humor me.

With my ideas on Jesus being a true and literal son of God, he would naturally be born with God's divine essence. But because he was not God, himself, but God's Son – he was able to be tempted as we are.

The reason he did not sin was not that he *couldn't* sin, but that God's spirit was with him from birth. Those who are born *of* God do not go on sinning, for they cannot. They are born of imperishable seed. So, Jesus could sin but didn't with the added help of his very origin. How am I doing? Do I have myself in a corner yet? :D

Um, let's see……if Jesus had some intristic advantage over us (having the spirit in him since birth), could he be considered made like his brothers in all ways? Maybe not? However we do have access to the divine nature….maybe that is what that means? Ponder….

Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 26 2007,17:12)
    The reason he did not sin was not that he *couldn't* sin, but that God's spirit was with him from birth.  Those who are born *of* God do not go on sinning, for they cannot.  They are born of imperishable seed.  So, Jesus could sin but didn't with the added help of his very origin.  How am I doing?  Do I have myself in a corner yet? :D

He he….afraid so Not3….God's spirit was with JTB from birth also, and yet he was not sinless. There is more to it that that. In Col 2:9 we read that “For in Him (Jesus) all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form”. What do you make of this verse?

Not3in1
    Participant

The corner is quite comfortable tonight…… :) I've been here a time or two before, so it's familiar enough.

Well, that is true that John the Baptist had the spirit but was a sinful man. How about this…..is there a difference between the *gift* of the holy Spirit which John had and the indwelling of the holy Spirit which Jesus had?

Regarding Col 2:9 – if this is to mean that Jesus had the fullness of Deity and that is why he didn't sin…..then how come I still sin? Because the next verse says I have been given this *fullness* in Christ?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ June 26 2007,16:26)
    And although John the Baptiser was “filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb” (Luke 1:15), Yeshua wasn't?

Hi Is 1.18,
    Do you find it written?

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ June 26 2007,16:29)

Hi Is 1.18,

An empty vessel (your words) is capable of 30 years of sinless existence? I think that's an untenable notion….

HiIs 1.18,
    Fortunately our notions are not relevant.
    What is written?

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 26 2007,15:48)

Quote (TimothyVI @ June 26 2007,12:35)
    I think that I have to agree with Nick here.
    The Holy Spirit overshadowed Mary and caused her to conceive Jesus in her womb.
    I doubt that her egg was impregnated with a sperm though.
    I even doubt that if a paternity test was given that the DNA would prove God to be the father of Jesus.

God's way is a higher way and He could have made his word become flesh in Mary by ways that we could not understand.

That being said, you are correct that Mary provided at least half of what was required to complete the pregnancy. And by what ever means that He used, God is the father of Jesus.

It is most curious to me why men love to deny that Jesus was truly conceived?  Is it that it puts Jesus more on par with yourself?  Why is it so difficult to imagine that God is truly a Father?  And would it be so terrible that the Father, being the source of Jesus – provided what was needed?  That being a sperm to penetrate Mary's ovum to create a baby?

Or do you believe as Nick does – that Jesus was already preexisted and was merely placed in Mary's womb to receive flesh?  Maybe so…..

Hi Not3in1,

You should know from my previous posts that I do not believe that Jesus pre-existed His birth.
    But to believe fully as you seem to, Mary would no longer have been a virgin.

Do you think that it would have been impossible for God to have made Mary pregnant in some devine way? I have seen God remove a tumor that doctors said could not be cured,
    He did not use a scalpal.

Tim

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Not3in1,

Check out a concordance and look at the definition of the Greek word syllambano.
    That was the word translated as conceived in Luke.
    One of the reasons that I agreed with what Nick said was that syllambano does
    not mean conceived in the way that we understand it, or your dictionary describes it.

Tim

TimothyVI
    Participant

Hi Not3in1,

Here is the definition of conceive in the Strongs concordance.

1) to seize, take: one as prisoner

2) to conceive, of a woman

a) metaph. of lust whose impulses a man indulges

3) to seize for one's self

a) in a hostile sense, to make (one a permanent) prisoner

4) to take hold together with one, to assist, help, to succour

Doesn't sound exactly like the definition that Webster gives.

Tim

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ June 26 2007,15:48)
    Tim, you say that Mary provided half and “by whatever means that He used, God is the Father of Jesus.”  Why not just believe that he provided what was needed (sperm)?  It doesn't have to be HIS sperm – is this what possibly offends you?  I don't know…..  But there doesn't seem to be a reason not to believe he provided the sperm versus just a vague “whatever means….”?

Hi Not3in1,

I am curious, do you think that God provided the sperm of someone else, perhaps David. After all in the book of Luke it says,
    “He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David”

So was David his real father?

I know, there were a lot of posts concerning your reply.
    But it raised a lot of questions in my mind. I enjoy your thoughts because they are in many ways so similar my own.

Tim

Viewing 20 posts - 481 through 500 (of 1,479 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account