Compound unity scriptural database

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Lightenup
    Participant

Here is where anyone can post a verse or passage from the Bible, that demonstrates more than one person or thing acting and/or speaking as one.

This is not a thread for discussion but to collect verses that show a plural subject, or compound subject, or more than one person as a group performing an action that is written in the singular form in the original language, or the pronoun representing more than one but is written in the singular form.   Also include verses that show a singular noun/object that is shared by more than one, i.e. grace, peace, etc.

This is to prove that a singular pronoun or singular verb can represent more than one person or thing and indicate a compound unity.

Just add the passages you find as you come across them.  It will be nice to have them in one thread for easy reference.

These passages can be about God, or the church or anything in the Bible but they must be from the Bible.

Thanks,
    Kathi

Edited to make a note, requested by t8…if you quote an already submitted verse or passage and then add your two cents to the original comment made by the poster, the post will be deleted or if you comment on a submitted passage aside from the comments made by the original poster of the passage, your post will be deleted.  Reason being, that turns this into a discussion thread and not just a scriptural database.  I will allow posters to quote an already submitted verse with a link only, no commentary, to another thread where it is discussed if anyone so desires.  Positive encouragement by saying…”Good post” or similar is allowed but no negative discouragement allowed. Keep it to a simple word of encouragment without discussing the verse further. Thanks!

Lightenup
    Participant

This space here is reserved to later compile the compound unity passages referring to the Heavenly Father, the Lord Jesus Christ, YHVH, God, the Almighty, etc.

Lightenup
    Participant

Rev 6:15
    15Then the kings of the earth and the great men and the commanders and the rich and the strong and every slave and free man hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; 16and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb; 17for the great day of their wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”

The One on the throne and the Lamb share one wrath.

Lightenup
    Participant

Deut 10:17 “For the LORD your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God who does not show partiality nor take a bribe.

Here the singular subject, LORD (YHVH) seems to be two persons, the God of gods and the Lord (Adonai) of lords.

Lightenup
    Participant

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. 28So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30because we are members of His body. 31FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND SHALL BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH. 32This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she respects her husband.

That should help people see that the church (singular), one body of many members, is indeed called a 'she' and also a 'her.'

Lightenup
    Participant

To the Church in Laodicea

Rev 3:14“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write:

These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. 15I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see.

Do you see how it says that the church says “I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.”
    That is a perfect example of something that is a compound unity using singular pronouns and saying things with singular pronouns. All of the 'you' words are singular in the Greek when referring to the church in this passage.

Lightenup
    Participant

“He has blinded THEIR minds and hardened THEIR hearts, lest THEY should see with THEIR eyes, lest THEY should understand with THEIR hearts and THEY should turn and I should heal THEM.”

John cited Isaiah 6:10 which in the Online Hebrew Interlinear all singular pronouns are used:

“Make the heart of this people fat, and make HIS ears heavy, and shut HIS eyes; lest HE see with HIS eyes, and hear with HIS ears, and understand with HIS heart, and convert, and be healed.”

]http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI….][/quote]

Lightenup
    Participant

Eph 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

Proclaimer
    Participant

There are many examples of multiple beings sharing the same nature or being one in unity.
    Angels, mankind, dogs, etc.

I like this one though as it is not unique to kind.

John 17:21 (English-NIV)
    that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

Anyone keen to develop a doctrine that fits us into a compund unity with God and Jesus?

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 30 2011,09:51)
    Here is where anyone can post a verse or passage from the Bible, that demonstrates more than one person or thing acting and/or speaking as one.

This is not a thread for discussion but to collect verses that show a plural subject, or compound subject, or more than one person as a group performing an action that is written in the singular form in the original language, or the pronoun representing more than one but is written in the singular form.   Also include verses that show a singular noun/object that is shared by more than one, i.e. grace, peace, etc.

This is to prove that a singular pronoun or singular verb can represent more than one person or thing and indicate a compound unity.

Just add the passages you find as you come across them.  It will be nice to have them in one thread for easy reference.

These passages can be about God, or the church or anything in the Bible but they must be from the Bible.

Thanks,
    Kathi

Bump for a reminder as to what this thread is for. Please read before you post, thanks!

Kathi

mikeboll64
    Blocked

1 Corinthians 12:27
    Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

We, as disciples of Jesus, are a compound unity with him; as he is a compound unity with God the Father.

Lightenup
    Participant

Thanks,
    Kathi

Bump for Moderators and Irene and Mike,

Mike and Irene, this is not a discussion thread.  Please read the OP and respect it.  Thanks.

Moderators please delete the last two posts of Irene's and the last one of Mike's.

Thank you,

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Kathi, I have deleted Irene's discussion posts, since this thread is not for discussion.  And I have edited my two posts to be general statements, like the general statements that accompany your scriptures.

Acceptable?

Lightenup
    Participant

Mike,
    I would like you to delete it please. You are discussing a scripture already posted. This is not a thread for discussions.
    Thanks.

Lightenup
    Participant

Here is another compound unity, the temple in the city of Heaven is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. The two are one temple.

Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.

Interesting how the believer's make up the body of Christ, the church and the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb make up the temple for the church. In this manner, the believers are in them yet the believers are not the temple but those who enter into the temple. This temple is where we worship…the temple of the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.

Lightenup
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Sep. 02 2011,21:21)
    Mike,
    I would like you to delete it please.  You are discussing a scripture already posted.  This is not a thread for discussions.
    Thanks.

Just post a new scripture here Mike, no discussion on another that was posted. Please delete your post.

Thanks, Kathi

mikeboll64
    Blocked

John 17:26
    I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.

This scripture shows that Jesus' disciples are in a compound unity with Jesus.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

1 John 2:24
    See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father.

This is another scripture that shows the compound unity of the the disciples, Jesus and the Father.

Lightenup
    Participant

Thanks,
    Kathi

Edited to make a note, requested by t8…if you quote an already submitted verse or passage and then add your two cents to the original comment made by the poster, the post will be deleted or if you comment on a submitted passage aside from the comments made by the original poster of the passage, your post will be deleted. Reason being, that turns this into a discussion thread and not just a scriptural database. I will allow posters to quote an already submitted verse with a link only, no commentary, to another thread where it is discussed if anyone so desires. Positive encouragement by saying…”Good post” or similar is allowed but no negative discouragement allowed. Keep it to a simple word of encouragment without discussing the verse further. Thanks!

Bump to inform of the added edited note to the OP.   Please make note.  I don't want to have anyone's post deleted so please respect the rules set forth in the OP and they won't.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Colossians 3:3
    For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

This is yet another example of the compound unity we disciples share with Jesus and our God.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account