Christians and muslims believe the same thing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,105 total)
  • Author
    terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 13 2011,16:03)

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2011,08:14)
    stu

How do you think they know these dates?  Seriously, do you think they are just making all this up?

Fig. 5-1. Schematic progress of the post-Toba bottleneck. We do not really know precisely what happened, where and when during the Toba bottleneck. The previous chapters have shown the volcanological and climatological sequence of events. What the effect these events had on the then living population of Homo sapiens is difficult even to GUESS For example, we do NOT know with any degree of certainty how big the pre-existing human population was, to what extent it was affected, what the death rate was and where, when the climax of the bottleneck was reached and when and with what speed or where he eventual recovery started. Still less do we know how the other survivors of the genus Homo (see chapter 5-4 ) or the apes managed to get through this would have been something along these lines

READ THIS IS THIS YOUR PROVE ?

Proof of what exactly?

Stuart

stu

look;Homo sapiens is difficult even to GUESS For example, we do NOT know with any degree of certainty

Still less do we know how the other survivors of the genus Homo (see chapter 5-4 ) or the apes managed to get through this would have been something along these lines

this is a small paragraph and look the words;;GUESS,NOT KNOW WITH A DEGREE OF CERTAINTY,LESS DO WE KNOW,OR THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING ALONG THESE LINES

if i have to built my house with this type of words it never would have been straight and square.

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ July 13 2011,12:32)

Quote (Stu @ July 13 2011,09:36)

Quote (942767 @ July 13 2011,08:26)

Quote (Stu @ July 11 2011,09:39)

Quote (942767 @ July 11 2011,02:01)
    No, I won't make that deal because I know that there is only “One God” who is alive and will answer.

So you ask me to do something that you cannot do.

Does your god demand hypocrisy of you?

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Why should I call on false gods, when I know that there is “Only One True God”.  

It would be a waste of time for me and also for you to call on false gods which cannot hear your call nor respond to you.

But since you do not know that there is “Only One True God”, perhaps when you have tried every thing else, maybe you will call on the God who will hear you and also answer you.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

I am still amused that you would ask me to call out to your god without you being willing to call out to the pantheon of Roman or Greek gods.  How do you know there is no point if you have never tried?

You say all gods are false but one, I say all gods are false.

If you can explain to me why you reject all other gods, then that is also my explanation for why I don't think your god is really there either.

Stuart

Hi Stu:

How do you know if I have never called on false gods.  I may have at one time, but I have a personal relationship with the Only God who has demonstrated his love for me in the person of Jesus Christ, His Only Begotten Son and His Christ, and so, I will not call on false gods now that would be foolish.

I know by experience that this is “The Only True God”, and you also will know this by experience, “one way or another”.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

I'd bet money you never called out to the Roman and Greek gods.

How do you know they are not real?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2011,13:49)

stu

How do you think they know these dates?  Seriously, do you think they are just making all this up?

Fig. 5-1. Schematic progress of the post-Toba bottleneck. We do not really know precisely what happened, where and when during the Toba bottleneck. The previous chapters have shown the volcanological and climatological sequence of events. What the effect these events had on the then living population of Homo sapiens is difficult even to GUESS For example, we do NOT know with any degree of certainty how big the pre-existing human population was, to what extent it was affected, what the death rate was and where, when the climax of the bottleneck was reached and when and with what speed or where he eventual recovery started. Still less do we know how the other survivors of the genus Homo (see chapter 5-4 ) or the apes managed to get through this would have been something along these lines

Proof of what exactly?

Stuart

stu

look;Homo sapiens is difficult even to GUESS For example, we do NOT know with any degree of certainty

Still less do we know how the other survivors of the genus Homo (see chapter 5-4 ) or the apes managed to get through this would have been something along these lines

this is a small paragraph and look the words;;GUESS,NOT KNOW WITH A DEGREE OF CERTAINTY,LESS DO WE KNOW,OR THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN SOMETHING ALONG THESE LINES

if i have to built my house with this type of words it never would have been straight and square.

Pierre

Guess WHAT about homo sapiens??

You're like any moronic creationist, just picking words out of context then using them to smear, without actually making any meaningful claim, or even making any sense.

Science does not deal in certainty, that is its strength.

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 13 2011,22:49)

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2011,13:49)

stu

Proof of what exactly?

Stuart

stu

Pierre

You're like any moronic creationist, just picking words out of context then using them to smear, without actually making any meaningful claim, or even making any sense.

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart

stu

why then you beleive the scriptures ?

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 13 2011,15:51)

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart[/quote]
    stu

why then you beleive the scriptures ?

Pierre

I don't.

Stuart

Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 13 2011,15:44)

No, I won't make that deal because I know that there is only “One God” who is alive and will answer.

Stuart

Hi Stu:

It would be a waste of time for me and also for you to call on false gods which cannot hear your call nor respond to you.

But since you do not know that there is “Only One True God”, perhaps when you have tried every thing else, maybe you will call on the God who will hear you and also answer you.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

I am still amused that you would ask me to call out to your god without you being willing to call out to the pantheon of Roman or Greek gods.  How do you know there is no point if you have never tried?

If you can explain to me why you reject all other gods, then that is also my explanation for why I don't think your god is really there either.

Stuart

Hi Stu:

How do you know if I have never called on false gods.  I may have at one time, but I have a personal relationship with the Only God who has demonstrated his love for me in the person of Jesus Christ, His Only Begotten Son and His Christ, and so, I will not call on false gods now that would be foolish.

I know by experience that this is “The Only True God”, and you also will know this by experience, “one way or another”.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Try calling on them and see if they will answer you, and then you will know like me that they are not real.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

stu

stu

Pierre

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart

stu

why then you believe the scriptures ?

Pierre

I don't.

Stuart

stu

are you not more lenient to your evolution theory in the same way i am toward the word of God ?

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,01:41)

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Try calling on them and see if they will answer you, and then you will know like me that they are not real.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

So you are saying that you have tried this experiment, of calling out to the Roman and Greek gods?

Or are you still displaying hypocrisy?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 14 2011,03:58)
    stu

stu

Pierre

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart

stu

Pierre

I don't.

Stuart

stu

are you not more lenient to your evolution theory in the same way i am toward the word of God ?

Pierre

It is exactly the other way round. Would you be delighted if the Judeo-christian mythology was proved to be wrong? I don't think you would.

I would be delighted if Darwin was proved wrong. That would mean an amazing new insight into biology had been achieved by someone. I don't think it is likely, but think of all those bright young biologists graduating every year and how motivated they would be by the possibility of revolutionising their field of expertise. None of them have managed to disprove Darwin in the last 150 years, but that is not to say none will. What is actually more likely is there could be discovery of new mechanisms of natural selection, or shifts in emphasis between the existing ones. That is not disproving Darwin, of course. I have mentioned already the severity of the peer review process. That does not use Darwin's books as the dogma against which to compare scientific papers, it demands that the evidence be reported accurately and interpreted parsimoniously regardless of whether it lines up with Darwin or does serious damage to his theory.

As it turns out, and you would probably agree, the bible is proved literally wrong. Anything can be reinterpreted allegorically to “make it right” but then you could do the same and make the right bits wrong, too.

As I mentioned earlier, it may give you insights into ancient thinking, but outside that it is a work of historical fiction. The only problem is that believers think its fiction is fact. It isn't.

Stuart

Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 14 2011,08:12)

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,01:41)

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty

So you are saying that you have tried this experiment, of calling out to the Roman and Greek gods?

Or are you still displaying hypocrisy?

Stuart

Hi Stu:

Prior to entering into a relationship with “The One and Only True God”. I called upon and served many idol gods.

And so, what does it matter, since I know that there is “Only One God” through personal experience. Why waste my time with calling on idol gods or learning about theories about evolution, when I already know the truth.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 14 2011,15:24)

Quote (terraricca @ July 14 2011,03:58)
    stu

stu

Pierre

Certainty is for idiots.

Stuart

stu

Pierre

I don't.

Stuart

stu

Pierre

It is exactly the other way round.  Would you be delighted if the Judeo-christian mythology was proved to be wrong?  I don't think you would.

I would be delighted if Darwin was proved wrong.  That would mean an amazing new insight into biology had been achieved by someone.  I don't think it is likely, but think of all those bright young biologists graduating every year and how motivated they would be by the possibility of revolutionising their field of expertise.  None of them have managed to disprove Darwin in the last 150 years, but that is not to say none will.  What is actually more likely is there could be discovery of new mechanisms of natural selection, or shifts in emphasis between the existing ones.  That is not disproving Darwin, of course.  I have mentioned already the severity of the peer review process.  That does not use Darwin's books as the dogma against which to compare scientific papers, it demands that the evidence be reported accurately and interpreted parsimoniously regardless of whether it lines up with Darwin or does serious damage to his theory.

As it turns out, and you would probably agree, the bible is proved literally wrong.  Anything can be reinterpreted allegorically to “make it right” but then you could do the same and make the right bits wrong, too.

As I mentioned earlier, it may give you insights into ancient thinking, but outside that it is a work of historical fiction.  The only problem is that believers think its fiction is fact.  It isn't.

Stuart

stu

your hopes in men are great,but only in one field ,but the world does not run only in one field ,

so assume Darwin is right ;is this bring peace on earth ? NO
    is this brings understanding in the mind and hearts of men ? NO

would this knowledge bring better government and more honesty to leaders ? NO

would this knowledge heal our sickness from deceases,and pains,and our dead,?NO

would this knowledge bring food to all starving men and women ,children ? NO

would this knowledge bring hope to men for a better world ? NO

so your knowledge is the most useless knowledge i can think of,he does not do anything for any body.

it is a waist of funds
    IF I WOULD NOT HAVE THAT KNOWLEDGE I WOULD HAVE NOT FELL ANY LOST,

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,08:38)
    Hi Stu:

Prior to entering into a relationship with “The One and Only True God”.  I called upon and served many idol gods.

And so, what does it matter, since I know that there is “Only One God” through personal experience.  Why waste my time with calling on idol gods or learning about theories about evolution, when I already know the truth.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

You are still dodging the question with politician answers. You invited me to call out to your god in order to determine its truth. Not sure what kind of a perverse god this is that demands humans make individual applications to its club of compulsory love, a cruel one presumably.

But then I invited you in turn to call out to the Roman and Greek gods (if I was inclined to worship gods that are not really there you would have to convince me that Bacchus is not the best god ever) however you replied with a platitude.

So my question remains, how do YOU know (not how do I know) that the Roman and Greek gods are not real if you have never tried calling out to them specifically?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

terraricca

your hopes in men are great,but only in one field ,but the world does not run only in one field

Would you like to talk about cosmology instead?

so assume Darwin is right ;is this bring peace on earth ? is this brings understanding in the mind and hearts of men ?

Yes. Understanding the nature of your heritage puts you in a much better position to be empathetic and strategic about improving the world. Knowing about your evolutionary heritage and how it has molded us leads to understanding of human behaviour.

would this knowledge bring better government and more honesty to leaders ?

Possibly. As I mentioned earlier, I think few of our leaders even have much of this knowledge. Why don’t you (as a country) try electing some leaders that actually know about evolutionary biology, or the evolution of the solar system and see if that improves the honesty of government? After all, your legislature is full of people who would claim they “know” god exists, and they know what a god is and what it wants people to do, even though they cannot show you the god they are talking about. Would you call that honest?

would this knowledge heal our sickness from deceases,and pains,and our dead,?

Yes. Fighting drug resistant pathogens and many genetic diseases requires an understanding of biological evolution. Without this understanding we could be all back in the condition we were in before the development of penicillin, that antibiotic having become useless due to evolution of pathogens, and there would be confusion without hope for sufferers of genetic conditions that are now being understood.

would this knowledge bring food to all starving men and women ,children ?

Yes. We understand the process of artificial selection of plants and animals that has gone on for the last 10,000 years or so, which has resulted in much more palatable and nutritious food, and the principles of genetic engineering that may have to be used to feed people in the future, based on an understanding of evolutionary biology.

would this knowledge bring hope to men for a better world ?

Yes. Science in general is a candle in the darkness. In the Dark Ages they had god and not much else, and they lived short and miserable lives as they succumbed to diseases that we can often cure today because of those burning candles.

so your knowledge is the most useless knowledge i can think of,he does not do anything for any body.

I think you should hand back your meds, car keys, television and computer then. They are obviously no use to you.

Stuart

Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 14 2011,08:59)

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,08:38)
    Hi Stu:

Prior to entering into a relationship with “The One and Only True God”.  I called upon and served many idol gods.

And so, what does it matter, since I know that there is “Only One God” through personal experience.  Why waste my time with calling on idol gods or learning about theories about evolution, when I already know the truth.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

You are still dodging the question with politician answers.  You invited me to call out to your god in order to determine its truth.  Not sure what kind of a perverse god this is that demands humans make individual applications to its club of compulsory love, a cruel one presumably.

But then I invited you in turn to call out to the Roman and Greek gods (if I was inclined to worship gods that are not really there you would have to convince me that Bacchus is not the best god ever) however you replied with a platitude.

So my question remains, how do YOU know (not how do I know) that the Roman and Greek gods are not real if you have never tried calling out to them specifically?

Stuart

Stu:

You are invited to call on the One and Only True God if you desire to do so. This is not a demand, but an invitation.

I believe that I have answered your question relative as to why I do not call on gods that I know to be false.

If you want to make that determination for yourself, call on them and see if they will answer you.

Jhn 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,09:48)
    You are still dodging the question with politician answers.  You invited me to call out to your god in order to determine its truth.  Not sure what kind of a perverse god this is that demands humans make individual applications to its club of compulsory love, a cruel one presumably.

Stuart[/quote]
    Stu:

You are invited to call on the One and Only True God if you desire to do so.  This is not a demand, but an invitation.

I believe that I have answered your question relative as to why I do not call on gods that I know to be false.

If you want to make that determination for yourself, call on them and see if they will answer you.  

Jhn 17:3   And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

You have not answered the question of how you know that Roman and Greek gods don't exist.

I think you are a hypocrite.

Stuart

Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 14 2011,10:06)

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,09:48)

Stuart

Stu:

You are invited to call on the One and Only True God if you desire to do so.  This is not a demand, but an invitation.

Jhn 17:3   And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Love in Christ,
    Marty[/quote]
    You have not answered the question of how you know that Roman and Greek gods don't exist.

Stuart

Hi Stu:

I already told you why I believe that they are false gods.

I would be a hypocrite if I did anything other than call on the God that I know to the the One and Only True God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Stu
    Participant

Quote (942767 @ July 14 2011,10:14)
    Stu:

Love in Christ,
    Marty[/quote]

Stuart[/quote]
    Hi Stu:

I already told you why I believe that they are false gods.

I would be a hypocrite if I did anything other than call on the God that I know to the the One and Only True God.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

Your use of religious platitudes and ancient mythological writing makes no difference, because both are circular and therefore invalid. You say that you know your god exists because your book of mythology tells you that there is a god that has written its “word” in the book that claims it exists.

Your hypocrisy is rooted in the fact that you would ask others to call out to your god while you won't call out to others' gods.

Were you trying to convince me? I don't think anyone should be convinced through being patronised in this way.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

stu

I think you should hand back your meds, car keys, television and computer then. They are obviously no use to you.

Stuart

I would if i could ,but your world has put me in a cage,and can not get out.

Pierre

Stu
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 14 2011,10:46)
    stu

I think you should hand back your meds, car keys, television and computer then.  They are obviously no use to you.

Stuart

I would if  i could ,but your world has put me in a cage,and can not get out.

Pierre

Indeed, it has imprisoned me also! I'm not sure if you are familiar with the series of TV programmes from the UK called “Connections”, made by James Burke. In one of the early episodes he shows some of the consequences of the Northeast Blackout of 1965 and takes it further to suggest a scenario where it wouldn't take long for most humans to become completely helpless without the technology they take for granted. He ends up in a farm in New York State, and shows you that even there you will not be able to feed yourself without electricity. The last thing he shows you is a plough. This will save you, he says, as long as you can find an animal to pull it.

When I was a kid I used to be able to fix my transistor radio by soldering in replacement parts when it broke. Technology has overtaken me now. My radio is full of integrated circuits of tiny parts that work so well now that it is not even likely to break in the first place. But while I still know the principles of how it works, I am cut off from knowing the details of its working and repair by the specialised nature of the technology in it. The same applies to my car.

But this is not my world, it is our world, and I for one would rather live in a Western country in 2011 than in 14th Century Europe. I think most 14th Century Europeans would have opted for 2011 if they could have, too.

Stuart

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ July 14 2011,19:00)

Quote (terraricca @ July 14 2011,10:46)
    stu

I think you should hand back your meds, car keys, television and computer then.  They are obviously no use to you.

Stuart

I would if  i could ,but your world has put me in a cage,and can not get out.

Pierre

Indeed, it has imprisoned me also!  I'm not sure if you are familiar with the series of TV programmes from the UK called “Connections”, made by James Burke.  In one of the early episodes he shows some of the consequences of the Northeast Blackout of 1965 and takes it further to suggest a scenario where it wouldn't take long for most humans to become completely helpless without the technology they take for granted.  He ends up in a farm in New York State, and shows you that even there you will not be able to feed yourself without electricity.  The last thing he shows you is a plough.  This will save you, he says, as long as you can find an animal to pull it.

When I was a kid I used to be able to fix my transistor radio by soldering in replacement parts when it broke.  Technology has overtaken me now.  My radio is full of integrated circuits of tiny parts that work so well now that it is not even likely to break in the first place.  But while I still know the principles of how it works, I am cut off from knowing the details of its working and repair by the specialised nature of the technology in it.  The same applies to my car.

But this is not my world, it is our world, and I for one would rather live in a Western country in 2011 than in 14th Century Europe.  I think most 14th Century Europeans would have opted for 2011 if they could have, too.

Stuart

stu

i do believe i sew that but it is vague in my memory,but you know each time we have a blackout same thing ,all your electrical fine tools go to there dead, and you become helpless .

Jay we have this in common ,me to i did as a kid build Cristal radios ,you ever see those ?stretch the antenna ,and listen to the things coming out of it ,
    wen I was growing up in Europe my third car was a ford custom line 52,man was that simple last of room around to work high from the ground wen i burn that one i got myself another one 54, then i pick a 54 fairlane hardtop 2door love that machine ,
    now i have a car just enough room to sit, open the hood and there is no room to put your finger ,you not only need a mechanic diploma you need to be a electrical engineer,looks like the monkey came out of us :D :D

But this is not my world, it is our world, and I for one would rather live in a Western country in 2011 than in 14th Century Europe. I think most 14th Century Europeans would have opted for 2011 if they could have, too.

yes but the people do not learn wen it is easy living well most of them ,

the bubonic plague was bad and still have people exploiting the sick by selling all sort of remedies even talisman and religious crap;
    ignorance is a great killer ,i am in Canada now and it is good here (for now)

Pierre

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 1,105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account