Bananas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    Not3in1
    Participant

Most summer's, during the hot days and nights, we sleep outside on our second story deck. We stare up into the sky……there are so many stars out that it blows my mind. We live in the country and so it seems that we can see each and every star. We watch as various satelites make their rounds…. In my heart I know that Science has many answers. But I also understand that there is plenty that you cannot explain out there. In other words, there is no proof and there are no answers for some things. It's then that my heart looks upwards and imagines that there is something more to our existence. Something that holds purpose and intention.

For me, I want to believe that there is a loving God who is ultimately “in charge” of things (the good and the bad). For me, it's a safety net. I've also experienced what faith (that is believing in what you cannot see AND probably, proove), can do for my life. When I believe that God loves me and that I will live again – somehow I'm not as afraid to die. It's comforting to me to know that my life is in the hands of a grand designer. Ultimately, my life is a gift from this designer. So I live each day with purpose and hope. If I didn't believe this……I would despair over death. I guess, for me, believing in a Creator versus Evolution means that I belong to someone, and I like that very much. :)

Not3in1
    Participant

Stu,
    I've enjoyed our chat. I'll check back here again and see what you're up to and what's the hot topic of discussion. :) You are very well spoken and I enjoy your posts very much.

I'm heading to bed now – I can't believe it's nearly 1 a.m.! Good grief. I've painted 2 bathrooms today, too! You'd think that I should be ready to fall over. Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but I'm staring to blink a little longer than normal. :D You take care, and I'm really glad you're here Stu!
    Love to you and yours,
    Mandy

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hey wouldn't it be great if man could create food like a banana. A disposable biodegradable package, package colouring defining freshness, and easy to open, yet fresh inside. Plus nutritious, tasty, and cheap to make, with no necessary pollution to produce.

I guess intelligence just can't compete with non-intelligence.

So what would it take man to be able to compete with nature. Perhaps we need to throw away our intelligence. It seems to hinder us because non-intelligence kicks our butt every time.

Or maybe, just maybe it is God who kicks our butt?

:laugh:

Proclaimer
    Participant

How do you catch King Kong?
    Hang upside down and make a noise like a banana.

IM4Truth
    Participant

t8 That last statement was funny, but your post before is so true. We could never out do God. And yes God is kicking our butts every day if we sin and sinning we do otherwise the truth is not in us.
    I am so happy that He send us a Savior!

Peace and Love Mrs.:D :D

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 09 2007,20:37)
    Hey wouldn't it be great if man could create food like a banana. A disposable biodegradable package, package colouring defining freshness, and easy to open, yet fresh inside. Plus nutritious, tasty, and cheap to make, with no necessary pollution to produce.

I guess intelligence just can't compete with non-intelligence.

So what would it take man to be able to compete with nature. Perhaps we need to throw away our intelligence. It seems to hinder us because non-intelligence kicks our butt every time.

Or maybe, just maybe it is God who kicks our butt?

I wonder if you missed an earlier point here t8,
    the bananas we eat have effectively been created by humans, by artificial selection. They are quite different (and much more edible) compared to the ones originally made by natural selection.

The idiot Ray Comfort seems content to ignore what bananas were originally for!

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hey Stu, if bananas are so imperfect, let's see you make one.

After all you are suppose to possess intelligence which the process that created the banana does not (according to you).

So I think it is fair given your immense advantage over non-intelligence that you would have a much better chance of making one than non-intelligence.

Please provide a photo when you are done.

It has to have all the qualities of a banana and the packaging must be completely biodegradable with no harm to the environment too.

If you are not sure how to post pictures here, you can click the image tag above the post box. Once I have viewed the picture, I then would appreciate you posting one to me. So I will allow you to design one that lasts a bit longer than the natural ones for that reason. Apart from that, all the other qualities must be there.

I will give you a postal address for the banana, after I see the photo.

Not3in1
    Participant

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

Let us do what we can to encourage the gospel, and not discourage it. :)

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 10 2007,20:58)
    Hey Stu, if bananas are so imperfect, let's see you make one.

After all you are suppose to possess intelligence which the process that created the banana does not (according to you).

So I think it is fair given your immense advantage over non-intelligence that you would have a much better chance of making one than non-intelligence.

Please provide a photo when you are done.

It has to have all the qualities of a banana and the packaging must be completely biodegradable with no harm to the environment too.

If you are not sure how to post pictures here, you can click the image tag above the post box. Once I have viewed the picture, I then would appreciate you posting one to me. So I will allow you to design one that lasts a bit longer than the natural ones for that reason. Apart from that, all the other qualities must be there.

I will give you a postal address for the banana, after I see the photo.

This sounds like a Nigerian financial scam to me. Where should I send my account details? How will you organise the shipment of bananas? What photos do you need me to provide?

Stuart

Stu
    Participant

++”So I think it is fair given your immense advantage over non-intelligence that you would have a much better chance of making one than non-intelligence.

As I pointed out on a previous page, the non-directed forces of natural selection gave us a banana that to me looks pretty difficult to eat. The intelligently-directed force of artificial selection has produced a variety that, while it is not absolutely perfect, is far more palatable.

That is what has happened, I can't see what else could be read into it. The fact that Kirk Cameron nearly wets himself at the knowing asides of the idiot Ray Comfort as he peels a banana speaks volumes about both of them. They are a disgrace to the ancestor they shared with orangutans.

Stuart

Not3in1
    Participant

Reddish brown ape – had to look this up as well! :)

I'm heading to bed, but nice to see you again Stu!

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 11 2007,19:08)
    Reddish brown ape – had to look this up as well!  :)

I'm heading to bed, but nice to see you again Stu!

One of my favourite cousins, the orangutan. More inventive and intelligent than our closer relative the chimpanzee, and certainly much more intelligent than televangelists, they apparently even have distinct orangutan cultures.
    The name translates from Malay/Indonesian as “man of the forest”.

Stuart

Not3in1
    Participant

Hey Stu,

Question for you – why did we stop evolving? In other words, why do we still have apes – shouldn't they all be men by now? Or is there really a correlation there? I mean, why did some apes turn into men and not other's? Secretly I've always known men were apes, but this is perplexing indeed! :) Actually it only sounds like I'm making fun, but I really am posing a serious question to you. Thanks.

Stu
    Participant

+”Question for you – why did we stop evolving?

We haven't stopped evolving. The process is so slow that we won't see noticeable changes in a single lifetime, or even 500 lifetimes. Someone once estimated that human evolution had slowed down by 20 years because of modern medicine. Not sure how that was worked out.

++”In other words, why do we still have apes – shouldn't they all be men by now?

We evolved to be hunter-gatherers in African grassland. There are still other non-human apes because there is still a living to be made for ape-sized mammals living in forests. Humans, who are very competitive, have not competed directly with orangutans, chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos and gibbons because we have occupied a different niche. That is changing fast, sadly. Early humans did compete for resources with other hominids (such as ancestors Homo ergaster and Homo antecessor) and with Neanderthals. This is probably why we are the only “Homo” species surviving today.

If you feel brave, take a deep breath and read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

Good questions!

Stuart

Not3in1
    Participant

Thanks, Stu.

So, if I understand you correctly, the apes in Africa have not become men because they have no need to complete in the way that would bring that evolution about?

I'll take a look at the website this evening…..I'm brave. :)

Have a good one,
    Mandy

Proclaimer
    Participant

Hey Stu.

Where is the banana that I asked you to make.
    You say that the natural ones are imperfect and I agree. But I am not asking you to make a perfect one. An imperfect one will do.

Please post the pic when you are done.

:)

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 14 2007,11:30)
    Hey Stu.

Where is the banana that I asked you to make.
    You say that the natural ones are imperfect and I agree. But I am not asking you to make a perfect one. An imperfect one will do.

Please post the pic when you are done.

:)

I don't believe in miracles, t8.

Anyway, even if I were to succeed some enormous wit would criticise me for using His created atoms to do it!

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

You don't believe in miracles? Are you sure?

You cannot make a banana and if you did, it would be a miracle according to you, yet non-intelligence made many varieties of bananas, according to you.

So you do believe in miracles, the miracle that non-intelligence formed the banana.

Of course not all miracles are genuine. Some are simple deception, like statues that cry blood, but the miracle that says that bananas evolved from simple cell life takes the (banana) cake.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 14 2007,23:19)
    You don't believe in miracles? Are you sure?

You cannot make a banana and if you did, it would be a miracle according to you, yet non-intelligence made many varieties of bananas, according to you.

So you do believe in miracles, the miracle that non-intelligence formed the banana.

Of course not all miracles are genuine. Some are simple deception, like statues that cry blood, but the miracle that says that bananas evolved from simple cell life takes the (banana) cake.

Yes, t8, for once we agree. My intelligence is insufficient to make a banana from scratch; the incomprehensibly long time that undirected natural selection has had to work on a self-replicating and slowly changing plant produce a native banana, has done a job I personally could not possibly do.

The miracles of virgin birth, life after death and creation of complexity by something even more complex require temporary suspension of the laws of physics and are all things for which there is no evidence at all, not even eye witness accounts. I don't believe any of these tales to be anything more real than the other mythological systems from which they were borrowed.

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Sep. 15 2007,06:39)
    the incomprehensibly long time that undirected natural selection has had to work on a self-replicating and slowly changing plant produce a native banana, has done a job I personally could not possibly do.

OK, so you admit to being not as able as nothing with a lot of time on it's hands. You shouldn't put yourself down like that.

So how long would it take for 1 million dollars to appear out of thin air in front of my face. 1 thousand, 1 billion, 2.7 trillion years?

After all, out of nothing came this explosion that unravelled to form all the wonders of the universe, including varities of bananas on a little planet in the Milky Way galaxy. Wow, it is amazing what nothing can do given enough time.

How much time would it take the 1973 Oxford dictionary to come into existence without intelligence? 1 year, 1 million billion trillion trillion trillion trillion?

How long did it take the first banana to come into existence from nothing? 14 billion years from the Big Bang?

Just wondering.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account