Atheism not religion leads in mass murders

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Stuart,

You almost sound like a scientologist, ever explore the prospect?

Apologies if I offended you in regards to your emotions, I don't label people, could be because I don't prefer labels myself. There are always unquine individuals of certian beliefs that do not always fit the mold. I find you zealous at times on what you believe, compassionate at times, just wonder if you ever felt danger in your life, that's all.

I feel the chatholic religion does not discrimitate, they will oppress anyone who doesn't not become part of their club.

I understand the difference between empathy and sympathy, just wondering how you explain or comfort another when times are diffulcult.

Oh, Stuart, it is good to know you are well.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Atheism is not a sect, which is defined in terms of supernatural beliefs (unless you call not collecting stamps a hobby), so #2 is actually irrelevant.

Read it again and this time pay attention Stu.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

“beliefs by a number of persons OR sects.”

Also, definition 2 doesn't stipulate supernatural or natural. Just a set of beliefs. Just to argue that further, there are forms of Buddhism that deny gods and God and Buddhism is considered a religion all the same. They follow the teachings of the Buddha and you follow the teachings of Darwin.

Anyway, going back to point 2, I take it that Atheists are persons with beliefs or do they deny that to by saying they are apes with facts? :D If you are persons with a set of beliefs, then hello to religion by definition of point 2.

Even the word sect that is preceded by the word “OR” fits too. The word sect comes from the Latin noun secta (from the verb sequi, to follow), meaning “(beaten) path”, and figuratively a (prescribed) way, mode, or manner, and hence metonymously a discipline or school of thought as defined by a set of methods and doctrines.

Atheism is definitely a school of thought with doctrines and set methods on how that doctrine is spelled out and what is heretical. But even if you cannot stomach that, atheists are definitely people, (Even if you consider yourselves apes instead of people).

Sorry Stu, but you are religious by definition 2 & 3. Like they say in AA, you have to accept your condition before you can be cured. Be brave, take a breath, and say I am a religious man. It is a start.

david
    Participant

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match.

I still say that Hitler, who appears to have made statements both against Christianity and also for Catholocism, used religion for his purposes. It seems in his earlier statements, he was more for God and religion and in his later statements, he was more against it. But really, can we trust anything he said?

Further, regardless of what Hitler was, the people who followed him were religious and Hitler used religion (pope, cardinals, bishops, clergy etc) to get accomplish his means. The people who killed for him were not athiests. They saw their clergy shake hands with Hitler more than once.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Mar. 01 2010,17:51)

Atheism is not a sect, which is defined in terms of supernatural beliefs (unless you call not collecting stamps a hobby), so #2 is actually irrelevant.

Read it again and this time pay attention Stu.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects.

“beliefs by a number of persons OR sects.”

Also, definition 2 doesn't stipulate supernatural or natural. Just a set of beliefs. Just to argue that further, there are forms of Buddhism that deny gods and God and Buddhism is considered a religion all the same. They follow the teachings of the Buddha and you follow the teachings of Darwin.

Anyway, going back to point 2, I take it that Atheists are persons with beliefs or do they deny that to by saying they are apes with facts? :D If you are persons with a set of beliefs, then hello to religion by definition of point 2.

Even the word sect that is preceded by the word “OR” fits too. The word sect comes from the Latin noun secta (from the verb sequi, to follow), meaning “(beaten) path”, and figuratively a (prescribed) way, mode, or manner, and hence metonymously a discipline or school of thought as defined by a set of methods and doctrines.

Atheism is definitely a school of thought with doctrines and set methods on how that doctrine is spelled out and what is heretical. But even if you cannot stomach that, atheists are definitely people, (Even if you consider yourselves apes instead of people).

Sorry Stu, but you are religious by definition 2 & 3. Like they say in AA, you have to accept your condition before you can be cured. Be brave, take a breath, and say I am a religious man. It is a start.

Regarding definitions of religious, why don't you have a think and get back to us when you have something less absurd to present. Or something that has not already been debunked, perhaps?

atheism (from various sources):

a lack of belief in the existence of God or gods

atheistic – rejecting any belief in gods

a belief that there are no gods. Greek “a-theos”: without-god

denies the existence of any God, thought it is traditionally focused on the rejection of the Biblical God.

atheism is a lack of belief in a god or gods

from Greek a- meaning without and theos, meaning God, atheists are those without a belief in God

Don't see a mention of it being a sect or a religion anywhere in there. Do you?

Don't know of any atheist “doctrines” myself. Can you give a source to an atheist site that gives a list that would be agreed on by most atheists?

Atheists are indeed apes. Just as you are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae

Why do you deny your common ancestry? Are you embarrassed about the facts of your heritage? I think it is something of which we should be proud, that all living things have historical genetic connections.

Do your CDs have B-sides, or will it be just more of the same tedium?

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 01 2010,19:02)

Also said as a belief in no God.

If we go back to the extra-terrestrial life example, you say, “I believe that there is no life outside of earth or on other planets. Or you could say, “I do not believe in life outside of earth or other planets.

To believe that something exists or not is a belief. If you don't believe me, then that is a belief also.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (david @ Mar. 01 2010,18:42)

In the name of creating their version of a religion-free utopia, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, and Mao Zedong produced the kind of mass slaughter that no Inquisitor could possibly match.

I still say that Hitler, who appears to have made statements both against Christianity and also for Catholocism, used religion for his purposes.  It seems in his earlier statements, he was more for God and religion and in his later statements, he was more against it.  But really, can we trust anything he said?  

Further, regardless of what Hitler was, the people who followed him were religious and Hitler used religion (pope, cardinals, bishops, clergy etc) to get accomplish his means.  The people who killed for him were not athiests.  They saw their clergy shake hands with Hitler more than once.

david, does not Babylon commit adultery with the kings of the earth. Was Hitler Babylon or a king of the earth?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Mar. 05 2010,10:17)

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 01 2010,19:02)

Also said as a belief in no God.

If we go back to the extra-terrestrial life example, you say, “I believe that there is no life outside of earth or on other planets. Or you could say, “I do not believe in life outside of earth or other planets.

To believe that something exists or not is a belief. If you don't believe me, then that is a belief also.

So it is NOT a religion, but a belief now?

Stuart

Proclaimer
    Participant

If you can answer the following question, then you have your answer.

Is Christianity a belief or a religion?

Stu
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Mar. 06 2010,00:35)
    If you can answer the following question, then you have your answer.

Is Christianity a belief or a religion?

Christianity is a belief system and a religion, according to my dictionary. Atheism is a single belief, and is not a religion.

Tell me what atheism would be if all other religions simply ceased to exist! How could it be a religion that only exists because other religions exist?

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Feb. 28 2010,13:02)
    you cannot demonstrate the reality of your God.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I have documented God's signature through anomalies in “The Bible”=63; the word of “YHVH”=63!

Why do you pretend PROOF (falsely) doesn't exist?
    And why do you promote the LIE of 'evilution'?

Ed J
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Stu
    Participant

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 08 2010,19:16)

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I have documented God's signature through anomalies in “The Bible”=63; the word of “YHVH”=63!

Ed J

Any new material to offer us Ed? Can you tell us what your Imaginary Friend eats for breakfast? What did Jesus think about the sport of fly fishing?

Stuart

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ Mar. 08 2010,19:51)

Quote (Ed J @ Mar. 08 2010,19:16)

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Ed J

Any new material to offer us Ed?  Can you tell us what your Imaginary Friend eats for breakfast?  What did Jesus think about the sport of fly fishing?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

If you have an e-mail address I'll e-mail you the free e-book.

God bless
    Ed J

david
    Participant

Strong beliefs lead to strong feelings which lead to strong actions–murders.

An atheist has more of a lack of belief than a belief.

How many atheists die for their atheist beliefs? Basically none. How many religious people die for their religious beliefs? More than “basically none.” A lot. Religious people have strong beliefs and strong feelings about their beliefs. I feel this is how they tend to justify their strong actions.

Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for.

Being by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (david @ April 06 2010,19:03)
    Being (killed) by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

Well said David.

Tim

Stu
    Participant

How many atheists die for their atheist beliefs?  Basically none.  How many religious people die for their religious beliefs?  More than “basically none.”  A lot.  Religious people have strong beliefs and strong feelings about their beliefs.  I feel this is how they tend to justify their strong actions.

Atheism itself isn't a principle, cause, philosophy, or belief system which people fight, die, or kill for.

Being by an atheist is no more being killed in the name of atheism than being killed by a tall person is being killed in the name of tallness.

I agree too. Well put.

I would fight for the right to express atheist belief, just as I would fight for the right to believe in gods, but I accept that is really an argument about freedom of expression in the end.

Stuart

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (Stu @ April 07 2010,00:17)

How many atheists die for their atheist beliefs?  Basically none.  How many religious people die for their religious beliefs?  More than “basically none.”  A lot.  Religious people have strong beliefs and strong feelings about their beliefs.  I feel this is how they tend to justify their strong actions.

I agree too.  Well put.

I would fight for the right to express atheist belief, just as I would fight for the right to believe in gods, but I accept that is really an argument about freedom of expression in the end.

Stuart

Yes, but you would not die for it. Actually why would you even fight for such a thing since an atheist only believes in this one and only life.

It would be illogical for any atheist to waste their one and only life on any social front as basically they believe there is no intrinsic or inherent meaning in life.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ April 07 2010,17:14)

Quote (Stu @ April 07 2010,00:17)

I agree too.  Well put.

Stuart

Yes, but you would not die for it. Actually why would you even fight for such a thing since an atheist only believes in this one and only life.

It would be illogical for any atheist to waste their one and only life on any social front as basically they believe there is no intrinsic or inherent meaning in life.

Asana, Asana, all praise to Asana the prophet.

Shame he appears to be illiterate like the Mo he mocks.

Did you read what I wrote?

Can you?

Stuart

david
    Participant

And yet another reason athiests are less likely to go on a murdering spree.

Proclaimer
    Participant

The next time you are mugged in a dark alley, ask the attacker if they will kill you if you don't give them your money. If they answer “yes”, then ask them if they have a strong faith in God.

My guess is they would probably say no. What do others think this mugger's answer would be.

Yes or no.

Stu
    Participant

Listen from about 2:20.

Hitchens does his party piece about whether he would feel safer knowing a group of men had just come from a prayer meeting.

Stuart

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account