An invitation to chat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 192 total)
  • Author
    kenrch
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 20 2006,03:38)
    I boiled water once and burned it.

OK that is my way of saying that I am not a cook.
    I wish I had time to cook, but I barely have enough time to eat.

I could get a Colombian soup recipe from my wife if anyone is interested.

:)

Ok so where is the recipe ???

Beans, beans, beans! I'm ready for Colombian soup! :D

Proclaimer
    Participant

Ajiaco (Bogota's Chicken and Potato Soup)
    # Servings :4

Ingredients
    # 2 chicken breasts
    # garlic
    # onion
    # chicken stock
    # 12 small yellow potatoes, cut in halves
    # 2 ears of corn, cut in halves
    # 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 5mm slices
    # 1 bunch scallions
    # 1 bunch cilantro
    # 8 table spoons guascas
    # 1 cup heavy cream
    # 2 Table spoons capers, drained
    # 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
    # Salt

Recipe
    The night before marinate the chicken breasts with garlic, onion and salt. In a heavy 4-liter casserole, put the breasts, add water, cover and cook until the chicken is tender. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Remove the skin from the chicken and discard. Cut the chicken breasts into strips. Cook the yellow potatoes in the casserole with the chicken stock until they start to disintegrate. Add more chicken stock to taste. At this point the soup should be thick and fairly smooth. Add the bunch of scallions, the bunch of cilantro, the sliced potatoes, the guascas, and the corn. When cooked remove the bunch of cilantro and the bunch of scallions. Serve the chicken on soup bowls and pour the soup into the bowls. Pour 3 Table spoon of cream and 1 tea spoon of chopped capers on each bowl. Float the sliced avocado on top.

Note: You definitively have to use guascas if you want to call your soup Ajiaco. It's not easy to get them out of Colombia, but they give this soup its characteristic flavor.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I haven't had this soup since coming back to New Zealand, but I sure miss it.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ July 29 2006,03:45)

T8,

What are guascas and “yellow” potatoes? I gather guascas is seasoning. Can I get that in the states. May be in the International section at the supermarket.
    It sounds good If I can get the guascas and yellow potatoes I will cook it.

Cubes
    Participant

t8 and wife, thanks so much you guys!

Sounds delicious and I like that the cream is added when serving rather than to the entire pot, as in the case of Boston Clam Chowder. Also never heard of guascas so it would be something to look out for as Ken says in Int'l section of supermarkets or in specialty grocery stores or maybe even health food stores.

I too have no idea what guascas is but am optimistic about finding it in that melting pot known as NYC, if not elsewhere.

Cubes
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ July 31 2006,05:24)

T8,

What are guascas and “yellow” potatoes?  I gather guascas is seasoning.  Can I get that in the states.  May be in the International section at the supermarket.  

Hi Ken,

Let me know how you do with locating the guascas. Are your supermarkets back up at full speed after Katrina?

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Cubes @ Aug. 01 2006,02:41)

Quote (kenrch @ July 31 2006,05:24)

T8,

What are guascas and “yellow” potatoes?  I gather guascas is seasoning.  Can I get that in the states.  May be in the International section at the supermarket.  

Hi Ken,

Let me know how you do with locating the guascas.  Are your supermarkets back up at full speed after Katrina?

Yes cubes they are up on everything! Just put guascas on the new grocery list.

Sultan
    Participant

Hello all,

Just wanted to join the chat. I'm from Orlando, Florida.

seekingtruth
    Participant

Hi Sultan,
    What is your weather been like, we've actually broke 100 deg (very hot for Michigan)

Mercy
    Participant

Any wild and crazing chance that anyone on this forum is from Nebraksa, USA? Just wondering if I am truly surrounded by trinitarians or if a brother be out there. :)

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Mercy @ Aug. 03 2006,18:24)
    Any wild and crazing chance that anyone on this forum is from Nebraksa, USA?  Just wondering if I am truly surrounded by trinitarians or if a brother be out there.  :)

Hi Mercy,
    t8 and I are from NZ.
    I just wonder why you use the classic catholic crucifix image as your avatar?

Mercy
    Participant

NZ, cool say hi to Frodo for me. 😛

Well, I am taking a guess here, but I suppose maybe some might consider it idolatry. Let me say that if I believed that, or became corrected in my thinking, then I would not do such a thing.

First let me give a bunch of excuses:

1) I don't worship any image
    2) As long as I am not subjected to seeing Jesus in that state to much, then it comforts me and reminds me of what he did for me. I much prefer invisioning him on his White Horse as the triumphant returning King or as the loving Shepard if it is an image I would see often.
    3) Jesus was a real man. I have folders and folders filled with images of real people. My family and friends in photo albums. 4) I am not trying to make an image of the INVISIBLE YHWH.

1 Corinthians 2:2
    2For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.

Paul dwelt on the scene in my avatar for along time. Just as all of us do I am sure he thought about it with mental pictures. It is natural. Lets do a test. I want you to think of the word 'dog' but I don't want you to have a mental image of it. Very hard to do isn't it?

That avatar represents that verse to me in a way.

If anyone can show me I am wrong, then I am certainly humble enough, to repent.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hey bro,
    Just interested .I thought you may have come from such a background as I did.

Mercy
    Participant

No I wasn't Catholic.

My family was Baptist until my Mother got filled with the holy ghost and took us to Assemblies of God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Been there. Done that.

NickHassan
    Participant

Welcome Oxy,
    Another NZer.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Mercy @ Aug. 05 2006,02:53)
    NZ, cool say hi to Frodo for me. 😛

Frodo says hi.

Proclaimer
    Participant

I wasn't joking when I said “Frodo says hi”.

This is Frodo in Wellington at the premier of LOTR.
    I took this with a serious zoom lense from a building, but I guess it wasn't serious enough as he is a little out of focus.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Some Hobbit children.

See hobbits do exist.

Proclaimer
    Participant

To david

Quote (david @ Nov. 24 2005,23:03)
    So, t8, just wondering what someone has to do to be removed from here. I'm wondering what you're policies are on that. I know you've threatened once. But I'm just wondering how far someone has to go.
    Also, you are the only one in charge of this, correct? How did you find Nick? How long have you known him?

Sorry I don't think I replied to this one.

There is a rules section in the forums. It is terse and logical.

1) No spamming or flooding the forums.
    2) No abusing others.
    3) No pushing doctrines that are not related to the topic. Pushing them in an appropriate topic is OK.

Also, yes I look after the technical side of this site.
    Nick joined as a member when I was living in Colombia I think. But we have since met. He has come to my city and I have been to his place too.

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 192 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account