“I Am” Exodus 3:14/John 8:57,58

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 288 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

Hey, CB, did you know that:

the phrase “I am” of yours occurs almost 1500 times in the Bible

How many of those times is it referring to Jesus?

The fact that you can find the words “I am” with Jesus and hundreds of other people makes sense mathematically given the thousands of words the Bible contains.

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (david @ Mar. 27 2007,04:08)
    Bazillions?

Reminds me of a joke.

Did you hear about the guy who heard on the news that 1 Brazilian died from a horrific act of terrorism. After the shock wore off somewhat he asked “how many is a brazillian again?”

:)

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (david @ Mar. 27 2007,04:11)
    Hey, CB, did you know that:

the phrase “I am” of yours occurs almost 1500 times in the Bible

Is that right?

That surely amounts to a lot of people claiming to be God doesn't it? I guess they must all be false gods then.

:laugh:

Proclaimer
    Participant

Quote (Cult Buster @ Mar. 27 2007,01:15)
    t8
    You will not talk me out of this by enticing me to follow another doctrine that came later on and says that Jesus is actually God himself.

So t8, how do you explain the following?

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
    John 8:57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
    John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am
    John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

To Cult Buster.

Jesus used the phrase “ego eimi” at least twenty times and yet, in only one instance did the Jews seek to stone him (John 8:58).

Jesus said, “I am the bread of life” to a large crowd, in John.6:35-48, yet no one opposed him. In verse 41, the Jews murmured because he said, “I am (ego eimi) the bread which came down from heaven.” But in verse 42, the Jews questioned only the phrase, “I came down from heaven” and ignored “ego eimi.” The same is true of verses 51 & 52

In John 8:12, 18, 24, & 28, Jesus used “ego eimi” with Pharisees present (vs.13) and yet, no stoning. He, again, used it four times in John 10:7, 9, 11, & 14 with no stoning. Jesus said to his disciples, “that ye may believe that I am (ego eimi)” in John 13:19 without them batting an eye.

This brings us back to Jn.8:58. Why did the Jews seek to stone him on that occasion? The context of Jn.8 shows that Jesus;

• accused the Jews of “judging after the flesh” (vs.15).
  • said they would die in their sins (vss.21,24).
  • implied they were in bondage (vss.32,33).
  • said they were servants of sin (vs.34).
  • said they were out to kill him (vss. 37,40).
  • implied they were spiritually deaf (vs.43,47).
  • said their father was the devil (vs.44).
  • said they were not of Elohim (vs.47).
  • accused them of dishonoring him (vs.49).
  • accused them of not knowing Yahweh (vs.55).
  • accused them of lying (vs.55).

Aside from that, the Jews misunderstood Jesus words leading them to believe;

• that he accused them of being born of fornication vs.41).
  • Jesus had a devil (vs.52).
  • that he was exalting himself above Abraham (vs.53).
  • that he saw Abraham (vs.56).

Jesus words in verse 58 were the culmination of an encounter that was so offensive to the Jews, that they couldn't restrain themselves. They simply couldn't take it anymore so they sought to stone him, not because of two simple words, “ego eimi,” but because he was making himself out to be greater than their beloved father Abraham.

Is 1:18
Participant

John 18:5-6
“They answered Him, “Jesus the Nazarene.” He said to them, “I am.” And Judas also, the one who betrayed Him, was standing with them. Therefore when He said to them, “I am,” they went backwards and fell upon the ground.”

Funny how when Yeshua utters “ego eimi” people fall to the ground….might be something in that.

Here is an article written by someone, who unlike t8 and David, actually understands biblical Greek.

http://www.aomin.org/EGO.html

Enjoy.

Proclaimer
Participant

Quote (Is 1:18 @ Mar. 27 2007,04:56)
“They answered Him, “Jesus the Nazarene.” He said to them, “I am.” And Judas also, the one who betrayed Him, was standing with them. Therefore when He said to them, “I am,” they went backwards and fell upon the ground.”

Funny how when Yeshua utters “ego eimi” people fall to the ground….might be something in that.

Here is an article written by someone, who unlike t8 and David, actually understands biblical Greek.

http://www.aomin.org/EGO.html

Enjoy.

Yes that is funny.

They ask “Are you Jesus of Nazareth and he said “I am”.

So the son of God says I am Jesus of Nazareth and they fall backwards from his presence.

Of course the son of God wouldn't be great enough for that, only God could make people fall backwards right?

And let's conveniently forget that no man has seen God at anytime and men fell in the presence of mere angels.

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Honestly the same faulty reasoning from Trinitarians again and again.

He must be God because the fell backwards. He must be God because only God can die for humanities sins, he must be God because he never sinned, he must be God because…

On what authority do people teach such rubbish?

Proclaimer
Participant

To Is 1:18.

Are you Is 1:18?

Careful with your answer now.

If you say “I am”, then you obviously blaspheme (according to your interpretation) and if I fall backwards it is because I am laughing OK.

:D

Cult Buster
Participant

Jesus did not say Before Abraham was, I have been. The Jehovah,s Witnesses distort the words of Jesus in their Watchtower NWT bible because they go against Watchtower teachings.

Jesus said  “Before Abraham was, I am”

The Jews knew that Jesus was referring to Himself as  ”I AM ”,  the Almighty God, that is why they took up stones to cast at Him. They thought that He was a man claiming to be God.

Joh 10:33  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

The Jews obviously understand that Jesus was claiming to be God. Jesus did not dispute their accusation. He could have but He didn't, simply because Jesus was God. He could have set the record straight by saying to the Jews, I am not claiming to be God, you misunderstood me. But Jesus did not correct them because He was claiming to be God. Jesus was and still is God.

Mar 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mar 14:63  Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

Mar 14:64  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

The high priest accused Jesus of blasphemy because He used the name of God “I AM” as His own. When a man claims to be God it is blasphemy (John 10:33). Jesus could have said to the high priest, you misunderstood
me, I am not claiming to be God. But He didn't correct the high priest because Jesus claimed to be God. Jesus was and is God.

The claim of Jesus to be “sitting on the right hand of power” is a metaphor meaning that all authority is Jesus'.

John 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
John 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
John 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am
John 8:59  Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Undoubtedly, Jesus knew the difference in the Greek between “I am” and “I have been.”  Jesus did not use the form “I have been” in the Greek, but used the form “I am.”  

Thus  clearly the Jews understood that Jesus was Himself claiming to be the Great I AM God and were enraged and wanted Him dead.

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM  hath sent me unto you.

Jesus is the Amighty God. The Great I AM    :O

Cult Buster
Participant

It is a great truth!     Jesus is God!     The Great I AM!        :O

NickHassan
Participant

Hi CB,
Then WHO IS the SON OF GOD?

david
Participant

Jesus did not say Before Abraham was, I have been. The Jehovah,s Witnesses distort the words of Jesus in their Watchtower NWT bible because they go against Watchtower teachings.

And nor CB, did Jesus say the English words: “I am.” Jesus was asked a question: Are you Jesus? His answer would seem to be clear to most children. “I am.”

The other 1500 times that the words “I am” are found in most Bibles mean exactly what they seem to mean: “I am.”

The Jehovah,s Witnesses distort the words of Jesus in their Watchtower NWT bible because they go against Watchtower teachings.

This accusation is week. JW's have changed or altered their beliefs on several subjects. Why would they do this? Just to throw people off? Ridiculous! This is clear proof of the exact opposite of what you so incorrectly (and ridiculously) claim.

You quote this scripture:

Joh 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

Maybe THEY the stupid ones who were going to stone him falsely believed that he was making himself equal to God by claiming to be God's very son, but the next verse, Jesus himself states:
(John 10:36) “. . .do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son?”

So, you can go with the most foolish people on earth, who wanted to stone the Sonof God, or you can accept Jesus own words. I see you've made your choice.

You also quote this:

Mar 14:62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

Mar 14:63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

Mar 14:64 Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Cult Buster you again forget the preceeding verse:
(Mark 14:61) “. . .Are you the Christ the Son of the Blessed One?. . .”

Jesus answer: “I am.” These are the same words you would use if I asked: Are you cult buster? Jesus was acknowledging that he was “the Christ the Son OF THE BLESSED ONE” and therefore, not the Father himself, but rather, the annointed one, or Christ of the blessed one.
Jesus wasn't saying he was Jehovah. He was obviously saying he was “the Christ.”
PART OF ME CONSIDERS WHY I TRY TO EVEN DISCUSS THIS. This is ridiculous.

The high priest accused Jesus of blasphemy because He used the name of God “I AM” as His own. When a man claims to be God it is blasphemy (John 10:33).

Yes, when a man does this it is blasphemy. Then you quite FALSELY reason that since Jesus was accused of blasphemy, he was claiming to be God. This is a fallacy in thinking. Look up the word blasphemy in a dictionary and you'll find that that word covers more than you think.
Speaking of God or sacred things in a disrespectful way, is essentially what blasphemy is. Now, if I claim to be God's son, wouldn't you consider that blasphemy? I assure you that when crazy people in the last century claim this, that is indeed how it was perceived.

Jesus could have said to the high priest, you misunderstood
me, I am not claiming to be God. But He didn't correct the high priest because Jesus claimed to be God. Jesus was and is God.

Right now, you are so far off track, it is just sad. He asked Jesus if he was the Christ. Jesus said: “I am.” Why OOh why would Jesus have to explain to anyone at this point that he is not God. He was never accused of being such. Again, here was the question:
“. . .Are you the Christ the Son of the Blessed One?. . .”

The claim of Jesus to be “sitting on the right hand of power” is a metaphor meaning that all authority is Jesus'.

You'll notice that all authority had to be given to Jesus. He has this power because he sits at the right hand of God himself.

Jesus is the Amighty God. The Great I AM

Nothing you have said in any way points to this remarkably insane conclusion. Give the Bible to a 5 year old. Have him read it.
If anything, what you have said here probably only has had negative impacts on your purpose.

david

david
Participant

JOHN 8:12-30
“Therefore Jesus spoke again to them, saying: “I am the light of the world. He that follows me will by no means walk in darkness, but will possess the light of life.” Hence the Pharisees said to him: “You bear witness about yourself; your witness is not true.” In answer Jesus said to them: “Even if I do bear witness about myself, my witness is true, because I know where I came from and where I am going. But YOU do not know where I came from and where I am going. YOU judge according to the flesh; I do not judge any man at all. And yet if I do judge, my judgment is truthful, because I am not alone, but the Father who sent me is with me. Also, in YOUR own Law it is written, ‘The witness of two men is true.’ I am one that bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me.” Therefore they went on to say to him: “Where is your Father?” Jesus answered: “YOU know neither me nor my Father. If YOU did know me, YOU would know my Father also.” These sayings he spoke in the treasury as he was teaching in the temple. But no one laid hold of him, because his hour had not yet come. Hence he said to them again: “I am going away, and YOU will look for me, and yet YOU will die in YOUR sin. Where I am going YOU cannot come.” Therefore the Jews began to say: “He will not kill himself, will he? Because he says, ‘Where I am going YOU cannot come.’” So he went on to say to them: “YOU are from the realms below; I am from the realms above. YOU are from this world; I am not from this world. Therefore I said to YOU, YOU will die in YOUR sins. For if YOU do not believe that I am [he], YOU will die in YOUR sins.” Therefore they began to say to him: “Who are you?” Jesus said to them: “Why am I even speaking to YOU at all? I have many things to speak concerning YOU and to pass judgment upon. As a matter of fact, he that sent me is true, and the very things I heard from him I am speaking in the world.” They did not grasp that he was talking to them about the Father. Therefore Jesus said: “When once YOU have lifted up the Son of man, then YOU will know that I am [he], and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.” As he was speaking these things, many put faith in him.”

Here, further “proof” that Jesus is God Almighty. In the above scripture, also in John 8, we find that Jesus says; “I am” 13 times.
13 times!

Is there any more need fore evidence?

I mean, 13 times he himself says that he is God. Well, he doesn't actually say those words, but thats what he means when he 13 TIMES says those words above. It's so obvious. Isn't it clever the way he hides this by using those words in normal every day language? I mean, if you didn't know that Jesus was God Almighty, you might miss it.

I know I did.
david.

Phoenix
Participant

Here, further “proof” that Jesus is God Almighty.

??? Am I understanding that this is what you believe? that Jesus is God Almighty? Like the Father is God Almighty?

Hugs
PHoenix

david
Participant

I was attempting to use, I guess you'd call it sarcasm to show….

Obviously, this in no way constitutes proof of anything, anymore than the line of reasoning found throughout this thread by those who try to connect these two scriptures.

Cult Buster
Participant

David

The Jehovah,s Witnesses distort the words of Jesus in their Watchtower NWT bible because they go against Watchtower teachings.

This accusation is week.  JW's have changed or altered their beliefs on several subjects.  Why would they do this?  Just to throw people off?  Ridiculous!  This is clear proof of the exact opposite of what you so incorrectly (and ridiculously) claim.

We already know that the JWs are always changing their doctrines. Maybe one day they will abandon the NWT. Perhaps soon they will acknowlege Jesus as the great I AM.

John 8:24  …for if ye believe not that I am, ye shall die in your sins.

I was attempting to use, I guess you'd call it sarcasm to show….

Better to use scripture if you have it.

Cult Buster
Participant

David,
Quoting Cultbuster.

Jesus is the Amighty God. The Great I AM

David

Nothing you have said in any way points to this remarkably insane conclusion.  Give the Bible to a 5 year old.  Have him read it.  

If a five year old can understand the Bible then why are you struggling with the Word of God?

David. You are still dancing around the truth. Did you know that if you chose to accept Bible truths, you will have to quit the Watchtower? Can you handle that?

John 8:56  Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
John 8:57  Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
John 8:58  Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am
John 8:59  Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Jesus said  “Before Abraham was, I am”

He was telling the Jews that He was God, using the name Jehovah Himself had revealed to Moses at the burning bush, “I AM.” He could have made no stronger claim of deity.

Without doubt, Jesus knew the difference in the Greek between “I am” and “I have been.”  Jesus did not use the form “I have been” in the Greek, but used the form “I am.”  

Thus  clearly the Jews understood that Jesus was Himself claiming to be the Great I AM God and were enraged and wanted Him dead.

The present tense, I am, expresses essential existence, see Col. 1:17, and was often used by our Lord to assert His divine Being. In these verses the Godhood of Christ is involved; and this the Jews clearly understood, by their violent conduct toward Him.”

When Jesus declared …: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am,”  He claimed for Himself as God the timeless presence of eternity as His mode of existence.

Exo 3:14  And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM  hath sent me unto you.

Joh 10:33  The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

The Jews obviously understand that Jesus was claiming to be God. Jesus did not dispute their accusation. He could have but He didn't, simply because Jesus was Jehovah God. He could have set the record straight by saying to the Jews, I am not claiming to be God, you misunderstood me. But Jesus did not correct them because He was in fact claiming to be the divine God Jehovah.

The high priest knowing that the Son of the Blessed is God tried to “incriminate” Jesus by getting Him to proclaim His divinity.

Mar 14:61   Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

Mar 14:63  Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses?

Mar 14:64  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

The high priest accused Jesus of blasphemy because He used the name of God “I AM” as His own. When a man claims to be God it is blasphemy (John 10:33). Jesus could have said to the high priest, you misunderstood me, I am not claiming to be God. But He didn't correct the high priest because Jesus was in fact God. Jesus was and is the self existent and eternal Jehovah God.

The claim of Jesus to be “sitting on the right hand of power” is a metaphor meaning that all authority and power belongs to Him.

Back to John 8:58, Jesus takes the name of God, “I AM”, and applies it to himself. Only God may use this title without blaspheming (Ex. 20:7, Deut. 5:11), and the punishment for someone other than God to use the sacred “I AM” is stoning (Lev. 24:16).

Thus in verse 59, Jesus’ audience picked up stones to kill him, because they correctly understood his use of “I AM” as his claim to being God and hence thought he was guilty of blasphemy.

This verse proves to be difficult for the JWs to combat, and so they changed “I AM” to “I have been” in their bible.”

The Greek here is ego eimi, which any first-semester Greek student can tell you means “I am.” It should also be noted that it would be rather strange for people to stone Jesus for saying that he “had been.”

The same Greek student can tell you that “ego eimi” is in the present tense, and Jesus meant what He said — He is the “I AM”. just as Jehovah is the “I AM”.

There are a very small number of translations that avoid a direct translation of the present indicative ego eimi. The Jehovah's Witnesses' own translation, the New World Translation, is one of this very small minority rendering “ego eimi” as “I have been”. For them to translate this phrase accurately, it would contradict their church's present doctrines.

In contrast the overwhelming majority of Bible translations both old and new translate “ego eimi” as I am. Here are some examples.

King James, New King James, New American Standard Bible, New International Version, Philips Modern English, Revised Standard Version, Today's English Version, Jerusalem Bible, New English Bible, American Standard Version, New American Bible, Douay, Young's Literal Translation, Berkeley Version, Norlie's Simplified New Testament, New Testament in Modern English (Montgomery), New Testament in Modern Speech (Weymouth), Wuest's Expanded Translation, Amplified New Testament, New Testament (Swann), Aldine Bible, Four Gospels (C. C. Torrey), Confraternity Version, Four Gospels (Rieu), New Testament (Knox), Concordant Literal New Testament, Anchor Bible, Rotherham, Holy Bible in Modern English (Fenton), Bible in BASIC English, Better Version (Estes), Sacred Writings (A. Campbell), New Easy-to-Read Version, New Testament for the New World.

It is a serious matter to deny Jesus is the “I AM”, for Jesus Himself said in John 8:24,  “Unless you believe that I am (ego eimi) you shall die in your sins.”

The following confirms that the Greek, ego eimi, is correctly translated as I am. Furthermore, each one of these statements, studied in context, reveals that Jesus was making claim after claim of absolute deity.

John 6:35 I am (ego eimi) the bread of life:

John 6:41 I am (ego eimi) the bread which came down from heaven.

John 8:12 I am (ego eimi) the light of the world

John 8:23   I am (ego eimi) from above:

John 10:9 I am (ego eimi) the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved

Joh 10:11  I am (ego eimi) the good shepherd:

John 11:25    I am (ego eimi) the resurrection, and the life:

John 14:6  I am (ego eimi) the way, the truth, and the life:

Joh 15:1  I am (ego eimi) the true vine

John 8:24  …for if ye believe not that I am (ego eimi), ye shall die in your sins.

Jesus Himself laid down the line – unless one believes Him for whom He says He is – the ego eimi, the great I AM – one will die in one's sins. There is no salvation in a false Christ. If we are to be united with Christ to have eternal life, then we must be united with the true Christ, not a false representation. It is out of love that Christ uttered John 8:24. We would do well to heed
His words.

Additionally, about 250 years the Jews translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek. It is called the Septuagint, also known as LXX. In the Septuagint Exodus 3:14 is translated in the Greek in a present tense, i.e., I AM…
The correct translation of Jesus' words is, “Before Abraham was, I am.”
If this verse should really be translated as “I have been” then why did the Jews want to kill Jesus? The answer is simple: They knew He was claiming to be God.

See the next example.

John 10:30-34 34 is a section of verses where the Pharisees say that Jesus is making Himself out to be God (v. 33).

“I and the Father are one.” Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Even the Jews knew Jesus was claiming to be God.

Now turn to Revelation 1:17-18 which says, “Do not be fearful; I am (ego eimi) the First and the Last, and the living one; and I became dead but look! I am living forever.”

Who is speaking here? Obviously, it is Jesus for He died but is now alive, and He is called the First and the Last the name of God. And guess what? Jesus also refers to Himself as I am. (ego eimi)

I am     and     the First and Last

Now look at this closely!

John 18:5-6 “They answered Him, “Jesus the Nazarene.” He said to them, “I am.” And Judas also, the one who betrayed Him, was standing with them. Therefore when He said to them, “I am,” they went backwards and fell upon the ground.”

Why did they fall over backwards when Jesus used the name of Almighty God as His own? And why would the soldiers fall backwards if not for the awesomeness of the words of Jesus?

Even blind Freddy can see that Jesus is the great I AM God.

Similarities between the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Pharisees?

Both deny the Deity of Christ

Participant

Quote (Phoenix @ Mar. 28 2007,07:13)

Here, further “proof” that Jesus is God Almighty.

??? Am I understanding that this is what you believe? that Jesus is God Almighty? Like the Father is God Almighty?

Hugs
PHoenix

Phoenix,
Are there two Gods?

Participant

Sorry, that was supposed to be a question for David.

david
Participant

Let's say for a second that Jesus actually wanted to answer that question, the way any person would. He was asked if he was the Christ.

“. . .Are you the Christ the Son of the Blessed One?. . .”

“I am.”

Let's say that Jesus wanted to answer that question in the affirmative. We know he was of course the Christ, the Son of God (and hence, related to God Almighty, ie: his Son, therefore, not God himself).
Anyway, suppose Jesus wanted to convey the thought that he was in fact the Christ, as asked. How would he convey that thought?

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps by saying as most do to such questions: “I am.”

If one's so very uncritical that they consider hidden “hints” like this, the fact that Jesus indicated a “yes” to a question by saying “I am,” it really does show just what little is needed for these ones to believe what they want to believe.

More than anything, more than the doctrine itself, the fact that certain ones look at texts like this with such positive conviction where none is deserved is great proof to me that something is terribly wrong with their thinking.

david

david
Participant

The Greek here is ego eimi, which any first-semester Greek student can tell you means “I am.” It should also be noted that it would be rather strange for people to stone Jesus for saying that he “had been.”

Yes, if Jesus just said: “I am” or he said: “had been,” that would be odd for someone to say. Of course, we're missing the actual words before and after these words. Jesus was making a statement about his existence before abraham. He existed before Abraham.
And yes, obviously, for claiming to be the son of God and existing before Abraham,well, if I claimed these things strongly enough, would people allow me to walk around freely? No.

“I and the Father are one.” Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?” “We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”

Even the Jews knew Jesus was claiming to be God.

Ahh, so Cult Buster, you are going to go with the stupid ones, the ones who wanted to stone Jesus? You believe as they do?
I prefer to go with Jesus words, where Jesus correctly said that he was the son of God.
Yes, the Jews who wanted to kill Jesus claimed that he was making himself equal to God.
I'm quite certain it's incredibly foolish to throw your hat in with them.

david

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account