Wisdom, understanding, knowledge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • Author

The Biblical definitions of wisdom (chokhmah), understanding (binah) and knowledge (da'at) are a lot different than what other cultures or philosophies deem as definitive meanings. Since we are talking about the Bible, let's try to allign our mindsets to those definitions.

In Proverbs (Mishalim) 3:19-20 we read
    “With Chokhmah (Wisdom) Elokim formed the Earth, and with Binah (Understanding) He established the Heavens, and with Da'at (Knowledge) the depths were broken up and the clouds drop down the dew.”

In Proverbs (Mishalim) 24:3-4 we read
    “With Chokhmah (Wisdom) a house is built, with Binah (Understanding) it is established, and with Da'at (Knowledge) its rooms are filled.”

Chokhmah:
    Wisdom is the endless sea of thought containing no separation within it, for it is all one. It would be best described as a pure undifferentiated Mind. It is pure thought, which has not yet been broken down into differentiated ideas and concepts.

“With Chokhmah (Wisdom) Elokim formed the Earth,” reveals that G-d created this world as One, with One Mind was the endless sea of Wisdom poured. In other words, the complete picture in mind was formed as a whole.

“With Chokhmah (Wisdom) a house is built,” reveals that Wisdom represents the entirety of a structure, the completeness and oneness of its creation.

Binah:
    Understanding is the level where ideas and concepts exist separately, where they can be scrutinized, analyzed and comprehended. It is the level in which everything exists separately. If Wisdom is the endless sea, Understanding is the endless fish which divide the sea. Another thing to realize is the statement that “Wisdom can only come clothed in Understanding.” This means that because Wisdom is One and is the level before everything is separated, Wisdom can only be grasped through Understanding. Understanding is like clothing, because it confirms an identity of a particular thing.

“and with Binah (Understanding) He established the Heavens,” reveals that G-d created that complete picture with confirmed ideas and concepts, with separated-dilineated-differentiated parts was the fish of Understanding given life within the endless sea of Wisdom. Before, I mentioned that Understanding is represented by the fish, however obviously fish do not evaporate into the sky… it is the actual water that rises into the sky… thus alluding again to the concept of separate parts of Wisdom which are independent of Understanding.

“with Binah (Understanding) it is established,” reveals again the word “established,” representing a confirmation of the many parts that make up the house that was built.

Da'at:
    Knowledge is the interface in which Wisdom and Understanding come together. It is referred to as the vessel that floats upon the endless sea and the means by which one catches the fish that swims in the sea. Knowledge is the union or marriage between Wisdom and Understanding.

“and with Da'at (Knowledge) the depths were broken up and the clouds drop down the dew.” reveals that in the infinite and endless sea of Wisdom, the fish of Understanding that swim in it possess the substance of that which the fish encounters. In turn they are the vessels that enables one to catch the fish and stores them in their vessel. In other words, the depths that are broken up represent that stored information in the mind that holds Wisdom clothed with Understanding. Also, the clouds that drop the dew allude to the point made above. Before I mentioned that the fish do not evaporate into the sky, it is the water from the endless sea that rises into the sky… so the dew or rain (water from the sea) that drops down from the sky represent the concept that Understanding Wisdom becomes Knowledge.

So Chokhmah, Binah and Da'at are the foundational levels of the Mind, we call this by the acronym “Chabad.” It is this tri-une format that G-d designed for all creation to draw from. When reading scripture, we can keep these teachings at hand to figure out the deeper meanings.

seekingtruth
    Participant

I always thought of it along the lines of
    -Wisdom is how things relate
    -Knowledge is how things work
    -Understanding is a mixture of both

Or what we taught our kids: you can be wise but not smart, you can be smart but not wise, but a man with understanding has both.

My opinion – Wm

Quote (seekingtruth @ Jan. 23 2010,01:55)
    I always thought of it along the lines of
     -Wisdom is how things relate
     -Knowledge is how things work
     -Understanding is a mixture of both

Or what we taught our kids: you can be wise but not smart, you can be smart but not wise, but a man with understanding has both.

My opinion – Wm

that is why I said that we have to accustom ourselves to the exegetical meanings of the words in the texts, what they meant to the people who brought these concepts to the world. If we use our own previous understandings then we are changing the meanings. Its important to always look to see the scriptures from the context in which it was written.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

AsherMoshe………..Interesting Post, i also believe To properly understand scriptures we need to see them in a deeper sense, and in context with the word uses and how they are applied to the text. Thanks for your incite on this.

Peace and love to you and yours……………..gene

terraricca
    Participant

asher
    i disagree with you in your conclusion by saying;
    If we use our own previous understandings then we are changing the meanings. Its important to always look to see the scriptures from the context in which it was written. “”

this view eliminates the spirit of Gods and Christ who are the source of all things, not men.

terraricca
    Participant

asher

if you truly believe with your heart the scriptures to be true and you pray God for help ,then even if you would be in the middle of a desert or in the middle of the ocean or in the middle of a war,there is no place on this planet that God can not reach you if your hearth is set on him and Christ,and it is not the terminology of Hebrew or Greek with all the tradition who will help in any way,

i do believe that it is not a bad occupation to research things out but they are not essential ,but more important is to familiarize your self with the word of God so you would know him and the one he as send.
    we walk by faith,but how more you read the word who more god can open your eyes to understanding
    this is the way to get closer and closer to God by the day by the month by the years,Faith grows
    as your knowledge grows and so is the blessing of God to those who seek him.

this is my understanding

terraricca
    Participant

hi all
    it is my understanding that Christ did not have any brothers and sisters ,i mean direct related to Joseph and is mother Mary,
    it is said that in that time first cousin were also called brothers and sisters ,because they could not be married ,
    and that Jesus was the only son of Mary.
    the reason why i say this ,it is then things make sense to me why Jesus on the cross give his mother to John to be look after and not one of his so called brothers because they were cousins.

Participant

Hi:

Pro 9:10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
    Pro 9:11 For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life Pro 9:12 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you; if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.”

Mat 7:24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Mat 7:25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.
    Mat 7:26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.
    Mat 7:27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

good quote 94.

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 23 2010,04:22)
    asher
    i disagree with you in your conclusion by saying;
    If we use our own previous understandings then we are changing the meanings. Its important to always look to see the scriptures from the context in which it was written. “”

this view eliminates the spirit of Gods and Christ who are the source of all things, not men.

This does not eliminate the Spirit, it guides us in the direction that the Spirit inspired the writings to be written. Taking our own understanding without considering the vital aspects of scriptures such as context, exegesis, etc… is the very reason why there are thousands of religious denominations that the follow the same books. That is following the source of men and not the Spirit.

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 23 2010,13:56)
    asher

if you truly believe with your heart the scriptures to be true and you pray God for help ,then even if you would be in the middle of a desert or in the middle of the ocean or in the middle of a war,there is no place on this planet that God can not reach you if your hearth is set on him and Christ,and it is not the terminology of Hebrew or Greek with all the tradition who will help in any way,

i do believe that it is not a bad occupation to research things out but they are not essential ,but more important is to familiarize your self with the word of God so you would know him and the one he as send.
    we walk by faith,but how more you read the word who more god can open your eyes to understanding
    this is the way to get closer and closer to God by the day by the month by the years,Faith grows
    as your knowledge grows and so is the blessing of God to those who seek him.

this is my understanding

Then there would be no point in having the scriptures at all then. Of course a person who does not have the scriptures would not be abandoned by G-d, however, the scriptures give instruction to study and meditate in it day and night. Obviously, if it is an instruction to study the texts, then its relevance is just as important as G-d helping one in prayer.

If the text was not essential, there would be no scriptures at all, there would be instructions from G-d Himself to study it and learn it. Walking by faith is only part of the picture, there is action, and keeping the Word on the tip of our tongue.

It is true that one needs the Spirit to understand, however, the Spirit also formulated the scriptures a certain way so that one can obtain knowledge to increase their vessel to receive an increase of guidance from the Spirit.

I dont think Faith has anything to do with this part of the discussion. I am not denying or challenging faith at all, we are talking a particular exegesis and context of the texts.

terraricca
    Participant

hi asher

your faith is the whole difference,you can not have strong faith without knowledge to strenght it
    but your faith is whath make you walk in God way ,you do not walk in yours no more ,your faith is the one who guides you,from the inside out,the tora or the scriptures are now written in your hearth
    and this is your line connecting you to God through Christ.

with that kind of faith you can walk anywere ,between everything,even dead. amen

terraricca
    Participant

hi
    without faith you can not approach God,you have to believe he exist ,you have to believe in his promises and acting accordingly ,not like the Jews at the time of Christ they had built a good second book called tradition” and put the Torah to second stage,in this way they had put traditions of men before God,tradition of men is equal to serve the god of this world Satan the liar.

terraricca
    Participant

hi

Pr 11:18 The wicked man earns deceptive wages,
    but he who sows righteousness reaps a sure reward.
    Pr 22:8 He who sows wickedness reaps trouble,
    and the rod of his fury will be destroyed.
    Gal 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Quote (terraricca @ Jan. 29 2010,17:12)
    hi
    without faith you can not approach God,you have to believe he exist ,you have to believe in his promises and acting accordingly ,not like the Jews at the time of Christ they had built a good second book called tradition” and put the Torah to second stage,in this way they had put traditions of men before God,tradition of men is equal to serve the god of this world Satan the liar.

Shalom.

This is an incorrect statement. There was no such second book called Tradition.

The biggest misconception is that Jews do not have faith, when the concept of “emunah” (faith) is a Jewish concept.

So to say “not like the Jews” is false. That is discriminatory.

Judaism does not put the Torah at second stage, the Torah is the most valuable document for the Jew, it is the exact words that was dictated to Moses by G-d Himself.

And no, the Jews of that day did not put traditions of men before G-d, only a certain faction of Pharisees called the Shemai Pharisees and the Seducees who were corrupted.

We really need to be careful about making false statements because its wrongly accusing people, which is what Satan is…. the accuser.

Traditions of men are Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc etc…. those are things people should be concerned about, not Jewish customs.

terraricca
    Participant

Shalom Asher

when i say a second book it is direct related to the tradition what some how had to be written document.

you right it was the corruption of the Jewish rulers that were the problem and caused to fulfill the dead of the Christ.

and under no condition do i have included all the Jewish people in my statement if i did i would have included all the apostles and all the ones who have embrace God s grace.

as for the faith,we all have a faith ,like in money,in men,in government,in the army,in himself,in is boss,ect;

when i talk abode the faith i talk about the one in the true God and to prove their faith in deeds to that.
    faith is believing.
    and i know we all believe but we like to believe what we want and this is were all things go wrong

terraricca
    Participant

hi

faith in hope of what as been promised ,and that we can not see yet,and faith in the one who can deliver the pro mess.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

To All………There exists a hugh problem in the true deffinition of what Faith really is, the dictionarire have changed the meaning from the bible definition, Scripture say “FAITH (IS) THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR, (how, through) THE (EVIDENCE) OF THINGS (NOT) SEEN. Has anyone here ever seen GOD (NO) so how could your have (evidence) then.. There is the rub, some think that agreeing with something is the same as evidence or Faith, but that is just suppositions and have nothing to do with true Faith, The faith in the bible is (real hard EVIDENCE). All who are of GOD have been given that HARD EVIDENCE in their lives and can attest to it . God is a GOD of PROOF and He gives PROOF to ALL HE is CALLING , by Strong (EVIDENCE) in their LIVES. If a person does not have this evidence He has no way of Knowing if GOD is involved in His or Her life. God is a God of (PROOF) and (EVIDENCES) HIMSELF in true believers lives.

The problem is not that evidence given , it is some think they already have it, so don't seek it, and drift off to sleep. Like the five unwise virgins did, they had suppositions thinking it was real Faith, But the wise had true (evidence) giving them true FAITH and have their flasks full and that Faith powers them onward to the high calling of GOD. While those who have a supposition calling it faith fizzle out, and are told to go to him who sell it (GOD) and buy it themselves.”Have you Faith, have it unto YOURSELVES”.

peace and love……………..gene

terraricca
    Participant

gene

what Paul says is true ,many do not understand it ,but the true believers will understand it in there hearts,God is made manifest in them

as for the ten virgin ,they all ten wen to sleep,the difference was that five had oil in reserve the other five did not ,the question is what is represented by having the oil?? any ideas??

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Terraricca…………True FAITH, was in the five wise, only supposition was in the five unwise. Faith is the Fuel That gives us confidence in GOD. Some have have a lot, some have little, some have non. Those who have little will draw back when the time comes, But those who have extra will continue to go forward into the kingdom of GOD. They trust GOD and never turn back. ” it is impossible to pleas GOD without FAITH”. and again. “tell me this He that does miracles among you does he do it by the works of the Law or by Hearing your FAITH”. There is the answer to the fuel question that keep our lamps (minds) lite,. IMO

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account