When Should an Argument Stop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Lightenup
    Participant

Mike,
    Jesus spoke as He was led by the Spirit.

It is written:
    Romans 8:12So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— 13for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live. 14For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

We are not under obligation to live according to the flesh, nor are we under obligation to respond to other's 'flesh' driven comments or questions. We are to be led by the Spirit.

Kathi

mikeboll64
    Blocked

It is written: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

Lightenup
    Participant

And what is written just before your 'It is written' segment…and then just after it?

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Have you set apart Christ as Lord in your heart? He is Lord over all and in every way, as the pre-existent and the one according to the flesh. I have 3 pages of reasons for the hope that I have…
    https://heavennet.net/cgi-bin….;t=3890

mikeboll64
    Blocked

I have also set Jesus apart as the one whom his God appointed as our Lord.  And thank you for reminding the others that when they finally DO answer my questions, they should do so with gentleness and respect.  :)

Lightenup
    Participant

You are welcome.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Btw, your link only showed three pages of people trying to twist our ONE God into TWO Gods…………….AGAINST all scriptural teaching.  

It is written, “Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.”

I know this “ONLY TRUE GOD”, Kathi.  AND I know the one this ONLY TRUE GOD sent.  Do YOU know BOTH of them?  Do you know that only ONE of them is our only true God and the other is the one our God SENT?

If not, then you need to go back to the drawing board and pray for God to send you a DIFFERENT spirit.  Because the one that is guiding you is leading you astray.

mike

Lightenup
    Participant

With all gentleness and respect Mike,
    Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God of gods AND the Lord of lords, whom you have sent. When you see the name 'Jesus Christ' or “Lamb' or 'Son of God' just understand 'Lord of lords' and you may see more clearly.

Kathi

Lightenup
    Participant

Also Mike,
    Those three pages are mostly all scriptures. And 'Lord' is the name of deity :)

mikeboll64
    Blocked

With all gentleness and respect, Kathi, this argument should stop right now! (Because we are off topic for this thread! :D )

peace and love to you my friend,
    mike

Lightenup
    Participant

Yep, you are right Mike…getting way off topic here. :;):

ftk
    Participant

Wow! Thats why I accept and believe in arguments. I was hearing, judging, seeing, and learning from Lightenup and Mike and suddenly the rug is pulled out to stop. Bummer! It's not way off topic, it is an argument! :D TK

thehappyman
    Participant

blessed is the peacemaker, :D

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (ftk @ Aug. 08 2011,05:26)
    Wow! Thats why I accept and believe in arguments. I was hearing, judging, seeing, and learning from Lightenup and Mike and suddenly the rug is pulled out to stop. Bummer! It's not way off topic, it is an argument!  :D  TK

:)

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Aug. 08 2011,15:03)
    Also Mike,
    Those three pages are mostly all scriptures.  And 'Lord' is the name of deity :)

Kathi

I always thought that` lord` is a title not a name

just like king,prince,duc,comte,ect

Pierre

Proclaimer
    Participant

Paul writes in Titus 1:9:

He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.

Elsewhere we are told not to quarrel over genealogies and other pointless things.

terraricca
    Participant

his there a point were the truth is seen as rejected ? and if so can we impose, is it right ? were are the responsibility of the righteous and where does it stooped ?

Eze 2:4 The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says.’
    Eze 2:5 And whether they listen or fail to listen—for they are a rebellious house—they will know that a prophet has been among them.
    Eze 2:6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house.
    Eze 2:7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious.
    Eze 2:8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you.”

Eze 3:10 And he said to me, “Son of man, listen carefully and take to heart all the words I speak to you.

Eze 3:18 When I say to a wicked man, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.
    Eze 3:19 But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself.

Eze 3:20 “Again, when a righteous man turns from his righteousness and does evil, and I put a stumbling block before him, he will die. Since you did not warn him, he will die for his sin. The righteous things he did will not be remembered, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.

Pierre

seekingtruth
    Participant

T8,
    Well the thread that spawned this one was on the (pre-existent) genealogies of Jesus.

genealogies plural of ge·ne·al·o·gy (Noun) an account of the descent of a person, family, or group from an ancestor or from older forms

However I still question what is to be gained, once both sides understand each other, and it has been clearly laid out for those watching from the sideline, by continuing to argue?  Especially if your opponent begins to attack you or your words are being twisted. Our discussions should demonstrate our love for one another.

Don't get me wrong, I agree we should refute false doctrine, but how much doctrine has been resolved on this site with all parties agreeing? Especially once the discussions turned to arguments? The other issue is we have no apostles to teach us directly so we can say “remember Paul told us such and such so end of story”, no we're forced to seek out truth that was given in writings to a different culture, in a different time, in a different language, and it is only with the help of the Holy Spirit that we can hope to discover some of it through out our lifetime. But, I believe this is God's will, having all truth doesn't mean as much to Him, as us being willing to spend our lives in pursuit of it, and to learn of Him in the process, I believe this pleases the Father.

20 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power. 21 What do you prefer? Shall I come to you with a rod of discipline, or shall I come in love and with a gentle spirit?

Seems to me if someone won't listen a demonstration of power is called for according to Paul. So if I'm teaching false doctrine, pray that God does not spare the rod but corrects me as needed. Seems a better solution than attacking one another.

Don't get me wrong, I love this site, it has provided many of the tools I needed to grow. I have grown more in the 6 1/2 years that I've been here, than I did in all of the 25 years before that (since I was born again). And I did so without winning a single argument. I will answer for where I rejected truth that was pointed out by others but I pray those have been few.

Like many here I've been going through some tough times but they have only served to build my character so maybe someone has been praying that rod of correction into my life after all.

I don't claim to have all truth, but I can say I have honestly searched for it and changed my position on a number of issues once I've been shown how a different position was a better fit to the whole of scripture.

My opinion – Wm

Ed J
    Participant

Hi Wm,

Give us an example of a view that you have changed on?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

seekingtruth
    Participant

Ed
    Trinity, heaven, hell, nature of the soul, the power of love (agapi) and many others. In most cases I learned more from the search than from the person I was discussing with, but there were cases where it was laid out for me, requiring only to be verified with scripture.

Wm

seekingtruth
    Participant

Ed,
    The best example of a changing view was eternal punishment in hell. For 20 some years I followed the party line and believed and taught without Jesus one was lost and would suffer in hell for eternity.

In the last few years I have made 2 major changes to this belief:
    1 I now believe that while Jesus' death is the only path to salvation, it does not require that you know Him  (just as His death paid for all those who came before him) and demonstrating love in your life will gain you entrance as one of the sheep because love fulfills the law.

Matthew 25:32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

2 – I always felt that the doctrine that said people would be punished for eternity just didn't fit with a loving God but it seemed clear in scriptures that that was the case and I couldn't just change the dictates of scripture because I did not like what it said. Then I read a paper on the translation of the word Aion and how it derives it's duration from from the subject it is attached to. Thus all the scriptures fit much better when the punishment is proportional to the crime then one perishes for eternity.

These two changes have cast the Father in a whole new light that fits His character better, resolved conflicts in scripture, and put a joy in my heart that God was both loving, and righteous.

All this was possible because I read something that conflicted with what I believed but by examining it against scriptures I found it fit better with the whole of scriptures

My opinion – Wm

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account