What does jesus mean by judge in the book of luke

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

What does Jesus mean by judge in the book of Luke.

Luke 6:37

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Sara judged that God was faithful.

Hebrews 11:11

Through faith also Sara herself received strength to conceive seed, and was delivered of a child when she was past age, because she judged him faithful who had promised.

Showing favoritism comes from judgment based on sinful desires.

James 2

1My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.  2For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;  3And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:  4Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

A false accusation speaks evil of the law of love your neighbor as yourself and thereby judges the law.

James 4

11Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
    12There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?

Examining yourself is judging yourself.  You need to judge yourself less you be judged.   That is also why a righteous human appreciated being rebuked and corrected as they can thereby avoid being judged.

1 Corinthians 11

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
    28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.
    29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
    30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
    31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.
    32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Judge the brothers and avoid those who are fornicators, extortionist, covetous, railers, drunkards, idolaters.

1 Corinthians 5

9I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:
    10Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.
    11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
    12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?
    13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Judge nothing before its time.  The Lord is the judge.  Judge one’s own action but do not disregard words meant to aid you in your efforts.

1 Corinthians 4

1Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.
    2Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.
    3But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.
    4For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.
    5Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

If an action is wrong then it is wrong for you as well as for another in the same circumstances.  For example a thief that believes he is justified to steal and then rebukes another for stealing, is at the same time rebuking himself.    The other may listen and repent but if the thief does not he will still be subject to judgment.  

Anyone who judges another must test to make sure that judgment is in accordance with the truth against them that commits such things.

Romans 2

1Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
    2But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
    3And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
    4Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
    5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
    6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
    7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
    8But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

It is God who judges who will ascend to heaven and who will be tossed into the fiery pit.   We have no business usurping his authority by condemning someone to Gehenna or declaring they will go to heaven.  That is God’s job and it is our job to trust that his judgment is righteous and loving.

Note: All scriptures from King James version of scripture.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin………Look up the word Judge and condemn as i recall thy are the same word used many times in scripture so they can get confused , I believe where it tell us not to Judge it means not to condemn. If we render proper Judgment about something i really don't think that is wrong and we can do this without necessarily condemning a person. Jesus said he HATED the DEED of SOME but notice he did not say he Hated Them. He was just Judging their DEEDS. I think we can do this also, lets say our son or daughter was doing something wrong and you soled and Chastened them for there act which you judged as wrong, even thou you hated that act you still loved them. I believe that holds also with us and the LORD GOD our Heavenly Father. And remember Judgment begins at the House of GOD, so we can expect discipline and even scourging if needed , but God Still live us. Remember David words t”hy ROD (of correction) and they Staff” (of guidance) “DOTH COMFORT ME”. We need to take comfort as David did in knowing our Heavenly Father corrects even severely at times. “He accepts ever Son He Scourges”. So it is not wrong to Judge (rightly) but is wrong to condemn anyone, that is not our call. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………………………………….gene

Participant

Hi Kerwin:

As you say it is judging someone to condemn is not our responsibility, but God has appointed the Lord Jesus as the judge of the quick and the dead, and he will do this by the Word of God.

John 12:47-49 (King James Version)

47And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

48He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

When we do not fellowship with someone who professes to be a Christian or has professed to be a Christian, it is not to judge him. It is the Word of God that is the judge. We do not have fellowship with them in hope that they will be ashamed and repent. Also, if we help them to remain in a state of disobedience, we may be a partaker of their sins.

Those who are in the world and have never known the Lord in the pardon of their sins, we do not judge. We are to preach the gospel to these if they will hear.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

karmarie
    Participant

I agree with what you say Gene.

seekingtruth
    Participant

I believe we should let scriptures judge the actions of fellow believers, however there are occasions were we may find ourselves in the position of having to restore that person gently.

Romans 14:13 Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather determine this– not to put an obstacle or a stumbling block in a brother's way.  

1 Corinthians 5:12
    For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?

I believe we are told to identify sin in others, but there is no room for condemnation, this is the obstacle talked about, the beam in our eye.

Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Judging the motives (condemning) of others carries a heavy price.

My opinion – Wm

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

Are you stating that it is loving to judge the actions of yourself or others to determine if they are righteous or not but it is wrong to judge whether the individual is unredeemable as we do not know?

karmarie
    Participant

I edited my post, because by making that post I was judging, in a way.

Jesus said;

“Judge not, that you be not judged.
    For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
    Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?
    Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye?
    You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. … Matt 7:1

And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them….Luke 6:31

And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” …John 8:7

karmarie
    Participant

1 Peter 2:1-4  
    So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander.

1 Peter 3:8-12  
    Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing. For “Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.”

James 1:19-22  
    Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

James 2:1-4
    My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

James 4:11-12  
    Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

James 5:16  
    Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

karmarie
    Participant

1 Corinthians 2:15  
    The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one.

1 Corinthians 4:1-5
    Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self. For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

1 Corinthians 5:9-13
    I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

1 Corinthians 6:1-6  
    When one of you has a grievance against another, does he dare go to law before the unrighteous instead of the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! So if you have such cases, why do you lay them before those who have no standing in the church? I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to settle a dispute between the brothers,

1 Corinthians 11:27-32
    Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8  
    If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

Galatians 5:22-6:5  
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Galatians 6:1-6  
    Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. …

2 Timothy 2:21-26
    Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work. So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart. Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.
    And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.

Titus 2:11-15  
    For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

Titus 3:2-7  
    To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,

1 Thessalonians 5:12-16  
    We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone. Rejoice always,

Ephesians 4:29  
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Colossians 3:12-15  
    Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

Philippians 2:1-4  
    So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

Romans 2:3
    Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things. But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things. And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? Or despisest thou the riches of hi
    s goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life: But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,

Romans 12:16-21  
    Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
    To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 14:1-13  
    As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand. One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. …

kerwin
    Participant

Karmarie,

You quoted:

And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” …John 8:7

I can see judgement as being part of this but the main lesson I learn from the teaching is mercy.

A parallel to this event is the story of the vine that would not bear fruit.   The owner of the vineyard ordered it condemned but the gardener inteceed and asked that the Lord spare the vine for a while and he would take special care of it.  After that while if the tree did not bear fruit then the vine would be condemned.

That is why Jesus told the woman go and sin no more.

The ones about to stone who had themselves sined and been spared as was the vine.  

You can also make the case that they were unqualified to determine her fate as they were themselves guity of sin. I find that unlikely to be the message as it could also be concluded that no human being is qualified to determine the fate of a serial killer and so they should be set free and told to kill no more.

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Mar. 31 2011,15:46)
    To all,

Are you stating that it is loving to judge the actions of yourself or others to determine if they are righteous or not but it is wrong to judge whether the individual is unredeemable as we do not know?

Kerwin: Gene was right on target.

We judge choices daily 24/7 most all the time. We live in a world of choice for ourselves. Where the line is drawn is in condemning the choice of another as to right or wrong to God.
    They are not our servant! They stand or fall to God alone.

When the word “judgement” is used it is more of a personal opinion or like or dislike.

When the word “condemn” is used it is declaration of wrong doing, or wrong especially in the eyes of God. That is not our call.

Matt.7:2 …for with what “judgement(condemnation)” ye judge, ye shall be judged and the measure you give out will be unto you…!

God sent not his son into the world to “condemn” the world but that through him, the world might be saved. John3:7
    We can have opinions all day long as to personal preferences.

We are out of place to conemn anothers servant for anything he does or doesn't do, to his master alone he stands or falls.

Bless all, TK

terraricca
    Participant

All

Jn 21:21 When Peter saw him, he asked, “Lord, what about him?”
    Jn 21:22 Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.”

yes what is it to us ,let s follow Christ.

Pierre

Wispring
    Participant

Hi Kerwin,

A false accusation speaks evil of the law of love your neighbor as yourself and thereby judges the law.

Neither Jesus, The Holy Spirit, or God hasn't revealed to me that loving something is a law. God has revealed to me that loving him, Jesus Christ, and everyone on God's green earth is a fulfillment of the law. God revealed to me that loving him is the primary quality of the relationship that I am to have with him.
    The pharisees and alot of other people loved the law more than they loved God and the people in thier communities. They lacked the level of compassion, empathy, and mercy to love one another like God loves them as a result. This is why Jesus had much righteous anger towards such as these. Jesus with the ways of love he taught fulfilled the law and the prophets. Commandments are directives. Laws are rules and regulations. I command my dog to sit. Under the law of our relationship, the dog knows I will reward him favorably if he sits and unfavorably if he does not.

Romans 13:8
    Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Romans 13:10
    Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:14
    For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

James 2:8
    If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

In the name of love, fulfilling the law through love does not make love a law. Love is outside law. Love discerns law. Love can express law. Love is not a law.

With Love and Respect,
                                       Wispring

Wispring
    Participant

I command my dog to sit. Under the law of our relationship, the dog knows I will reward him favorably if he sits and unfavorably if he does not.

Because my doge loves me without conditions and I love him without conditions; just because he decides at some point in time not to sit when I command him to sit; does not mean that the love we have for one another has changed.

With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

kerwin
    Participant

Wispring,

The definition I am using is “the whole body of binding practices of a community enforced by a God”.  I have paraphrased it from definition 1a2 for law in the Merriam-Webster online dictionary.

The command love your neighbor is the sum of the law and is the practice of the Christian community, which is enforced by God, though he is patient in suffering disobedience.   Christians obey the law, of love, by faith.   That is why we are instructed to live by the Spirit.  The one who obeys the law of love is not under the law since there is no need of a law for those that already obey the law.

You are confusing Mosaic Law with the Law of Love your neighbor as yourself.  Mosaic Law is a pale reflection of the Law of Love your neighbor as yourself, given to a people who did not have the Holy Spirit in its role of Councilor.  That is why love fulfills it.

karmarie
    Participant

Hi all. What if it's another believer/s not acting appropriatly? Isn't it different? I don't know,

Wispring
    Participant

Kerwin,
    No sir, I am not confusing a thing. You seem to be confusing the spirit of love with law. Love is more than a definition of love. God is love. God is not law. God has given laws for people to abide by such as Mosaic Law. Find me a scripture the says words like this “I am God and I have a law of love and this is what it is.”. I have read the bible alot. You have read more i believe. I truly don't recall and words of God that state anything like this. I would like you to re-read my post once again about how I clearly delineated the differences of the meaning of commandment and law. Also the post that wonderfully illlustrates what unconditional love is about. I repeat beloved brother, I am not confused.

With love and Respect,
    Wispring

Wispring
    Participant

Hi karmarie,
    Watcha' talkin' about? Your post is vague.

With Love and Respect,
    Wispring

Tim Kraft
    Participant

Actually, when you get right down to it, a believer in Gods love to all would not act inappropriatly. Or if a mistake is made by anyone that is considered transgressing your personal space, the believer should be the first one to ask forgiveness and make amends. Love considers others desires first. Love is not submission its more like make an agreement. We are not here to get run over nor are we to run over others. Give and take. You can take much more if you first ask permission. Repect goes a long way in life dealings. Its amazing how amicable people are if you show them the slightest respect unwarranted. If you condemn someone beware you are now at war with them. IMO, TK

karmarie
    Participant

Hi.

Well, as believers in Jesus Christ we should be behaving properly right? We are supposed to be taking the message to the World. So, I just find it more irritating when believers act wrong, than I do with non believers. Non believers don't know better. So if I don't like how some believers are acting and wish they would change….then am I wrong for feeling like that?

(thats what I was trying to say….it's late where I live)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account