Virgin Mary

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    eveh
    Participant

Mary was a blessed woman. She birth to the Son of God. Her body is now in the grave, awaiting that glorious day when she will be resurrected along with the rest of us.

You are told there is only one meditation between God and and man and that is the Son of God, Jesus Christ. Why don't you believe this? Why do you keep trying to make Mary out to be something she was not.

david
    Participant

When Jesus’ ministry brings him to his hometown of Nazareth, his former acquaintances recognize him.

“Is this not the carpenter’s son?”they ask.  “Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers [Greek adelphoi] James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And his sisters [Greek adelphai], are they not all with us?”(Matthew 13:55, 56)

THESE BROTHERS AND SISTERS ARE NOT JESUS’ COUSINS.

John P. Meier, former president of the Catholic Bible Association of America, wrote: “In the N[ew] T[estament] adelphos [brother], when used not merely figuratively or metaphorically but rather to designate some sort of physical or legal relationship, means only full or half-brother, and nothing else.”–“The Brothers and Sisters of Jesus in Ecumenical Perspective,” by J. P. Meier, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, January 1992, page 21.
      The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. IX, p. 337) admits regarding the Greek words a·del·phoí and a·del·phaí, used at Matthew 13:55, 56, that these “have the meaning of full blood brother and sister in the Greek-speaking world of the Evangelist’s time and would naturally be taken by his Greek reader in this sense. Toward the end of the 4th century (c. 380) Helvidius in a work now lost pressed this fact in order to attribute to Mary other children besides Jesus so as to make her a model for mothers of larger families. St. Jerome, motivated by the Church’s traditional faith in Mary’s perpetual virginity, wrote a tract against Helvidius (A.D. 383) in which he developed an explanation . . . that is still in vogue among Catholic scholars.”

THEY ARE NOT HIS DISCIPLES (SPIRITUAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS)
    John 2:12 makes a clear distinction between the two groups by stating: “He [Jesus] and his mother and brothers and his disciples went down to Capernaum.”

Years later in Jerusalem, the apostle Paul saw Peter, and added: “I did not see any of the other apostles; I only saw James, the brother of the Lord.”  (Galatians 1:19, The Jerusalem Bible)
    Moreover, the statement that Joseph “had no intercourse with [Mary] UNTIL she gave birth to a son” indicates that Jesus’ adoptive father did have relations with her afterward and fathered her other children. (Matthew 1:25)

“His mother and brothers now arrived and, standing outside, sent in a message asking for him. A crowd was sitting round him at the time the message was passed to him, ‘Your mother and brothers and sisters are outside asking for you’. He replied, ‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ And looking round at those sitting in a circle about him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’” (Mark 3:31-35 JB)
    (Here a clear distinction is drawn between Jesus’ natural brothers and his spiritual brothers, his disciples. No one claims that the reference to Jesus’ mother means anything different from what it says. Is it consistent, then, to reason that his natural brothers were not that but were perhaps cousins? When what is meant is not brothers but relatives, a different Greek word [syg·ge·noń] is used, as at Luke 21:16

In view of the scriptures, I don't understand how anyone can believe otherwise, unless  they completely discount the scriptures.

david

Quote (david @ Aug. 26 2009,15:44)
    When Jesus’ ministry brings him to his hometown of Nazareth, his former acquaintances recognize him.

“Is this not the carpenter’s son?”they ask.  “Is not his mother called Mary, and his brothers [Greek adelphoi] James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? And his sisters [Greek adelphai], are they not all with us?”(Matthew 13:55, 56)

John P. Meier, former president of the Catholic Bible Association of America, wrote: “In the N[ew] T[estament] adelphos [brother], when used not merely figuratively or metaphorically but rather to designate some sort of physical or legal relationship, means only full or half-brother, and nothing else.”–“The Brothers and Sisters of Jesus in Ecumenical Perspective,” by J. P. Meier, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, January 1992, page 21.
      The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967, Vol. IX, p. 337) admits regarding the Greek words a·del·phoí and a·del·phaí, used at Matthew 13:55, 56, that these “have the meaning of full blood brother and sister in the Greek-speaking world of the Evangelist’s time and would naturally be taken by his Greek reader in this sense. Toward the end of the 4th century (c. 380) Helvidius in a work now lost pressed this fact in order to attribute to Mary other children besides Jesus so as to make her a model for mothers of larger families. St. Jerome, motivated by the Church’s traditional faith in Mary’s perpetual virginity, wrote a tract against Helvidius (A.D. 383) in which he developed an explanation . . . that is still in vogue among Catholic scholars.”

John 2:12 makes a clear distinction between the two groups by stating: “He [Jesus] and his mother and brothers and his disciples went down to Capernaum.”

Years later in Jerusalem, the apostle Paul saw Peter, and added: “I did not see any of the other apostles; I only saw James, the brother of the Lord.”  (Galatians 1:19, The Jerusalem Bible)
    Moreover, the statement that Joseph “had no intercourse with [Mary] UNTIL she gave birth to a son” indicates that Jesus’ adoptive father did have relations with her afterward and fathered her other children. (Matthew 1:25)

“His mother and brothers now arrived and, standing outside, sent in a message asking for him. A crowd was sitting round him at the time the message was passed to him, ‘Your mother and brothers and sisters are outside asking for you’. He replied, ‘Who are my mother and my brothers?’ And looking round at those sitting in a circle about him, he said, ‘Here are my mother and my brothers. Anyone who does the will of God, that person is my brother and sister and mother.’” (Mark 3:31-35 JB)
    (Here a clear distinction is drawn between Jesus’ natural brothers and his spiritual brothers, his disciples. No one claims that the reference to Jesus’ mother means anything different from what it says. Is it consistent, then, to reason that his natural brothers were not that but were perhaps cousins? When what is meant is not brothers but relatives, a different Greek word [syg·ge·noń] is used, as at Luke 21:16

In view of the scriptures, I don't understand how anyone can believe otherwise, unless  they completely discount the scriptures.

david

Again, according the the first century historical book The Protoevangelium of James they are his step brothers, sons of Joseph and his widow before Mary.

david
    Participant

The Protoevangelium of James

If you want to believe the whatever of James, then fine, believe he had no brothers.

If you want to believe the Bible, the answer is obvious, and of course, you now understand why that lady I spoke of didn't want to discuss what the Bible said about Mary having children. You don't want to discuss it either. I completely understand.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Aug. 26 2009,17:57)

david

Again, according the the first century historical book The Protoevangelium of James they are his step brothers, sons of Joseph and his widow before Mary.

would Mary being a perpetual virgin make her more important or Holy? Isn't it true that Marriage and intimacy with your wife is Holy? Do you think that Mary denied her Husband what was good and Holy to him?

bodhitharta
    Participant

CA,

You dishonor Mary in your attempt to make her intimate with God, that is why the Quran says:

(20) And behold! Allah will say: “O Jesus the son of mary! Didst thou say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of Allah.?” He will say: “Glory to Thee! never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, thou wouldst indeed have known it. Thou knowest what is in my heart, Thou I know not what is in Thine. For Thou knowest in full all that is hidden.
    ( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #116)

(12) In blasphemy indeed are those that say that Allah is Christ the son of mary. Say: “Who then hath the least power against Allah, if His will were to destroy Christ the son of mary, his mother, and all every – one that is on the earth? For to Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between. He createth what He pleaseth. For Allah hath power over all things.”
    ( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #17)

(17) Then will Allah say: “O Jesus the son of mary! Recount My favour to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the holy spirit, so that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel and behold! thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave, and thou breathest into it and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And behold! thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.'
    ( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #110)

david
    Participant

Quote (CatholicApologist @ Aug. 26 2009,17:57)

david

It's starting to make sense why Catholocism banned the Bible and then kept in a dead language for hundreds of years.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

David …………good post , but i have one thing that i believe many misunderstand, the ROCK, is GOD and Is the true foundation on which the True Church is Built, Jesus is the Chief Cornerstone of the Building and the apostles are also building stones as are all (TRUE) believers, But the Whole Building is Build Upon the Foundation, or ROCK who is GOD the FATHER. Jesus said unto Peter upon (THIS FOUNDATION or ROCK) i will build the church, was in reference of the Power of GOD to get into the Minds and reveal the Truth to People. God the FATHER is the ONLY ROCK the Church is built upon, we all are stones laid by GOD in His Building and Jesus is the chief cornerstone. IMO

peace and love to you and yours………………………….gene

Quote (david @ Aug. 26 2009,18:07)

The Protoevangelium of James

If you want to believe the whatever of James, then fine, believe he had no brothers.

If you want to believe the Bible, the answer is obvious, and of course, you now understand why that lady I spoke of didn't want to discuss what the Bible said about Mary having children.  You don't want to discuss it either.  I completely understand.

He DID have brothers. Step brothers.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account