Understanding how we're made…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

Understanding how we’re made.

This is a very important study because it shows us how we were created and how the things in our lives can determine who we are and our destiny.

The first verse I want to look at is found in 1 Thessalonians.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

From this verse we can see that we are created body, soul and spirit and that God needs to sanctify and cleans our body, soul and spirit in order that we may be blameless at the coming of Jesus Christ.

With this in mind let’s look at these three words body, soul and spirit and understand how each one works with one another to make us who we are.

Before we begin there is one other verse that we have to always keep in mind when understanding God’s word and it’s found in the book of Romans.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him (God) from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

God is telling here that if we can understand the natural things we can see in creation this will help us understand the spiritual unseen things in creation.

In 1 Thessalonians God told us that we are body, soul and spirit so lets see what these three created words mean.

Spirit = Mind

In Ephesians 4:23 we read this, "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;"

Mind and spirit are the same. They are thoughts, they can’t be seen, they are invisible, this is our spirit.

Proverbs 1:23 Turn you at my reproof (correction): behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.

Spirit are words, words are thoughts.

God will pour out His Spirit; He will make known His words (thoughts).

Ezekiel 2:2 And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me.

When He spoke He was communicating words (thoughts) as a result His Spirit enter him.

Soul = Is who we are.

In Leviticus 17:11 we find God comparing the soul with blood. "For the life (soul) of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul."

Leviticus 17:14 For it is the life (soul) of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

When we understand blood and how it works we can understand the soul.

If a doctor took some of our blood and examined it he would be able to tell us what our diet is. He will find many things in our blood that will tell him what we have been eating. With this we can see that the blood is a record of what we eat physically. If we were to examine our soul we would learn what we have been eating spiritually in words. The soul is who we are, it’s our character. What we take into our minds will be stored in the soul by way of our desires. Our soul is what Jesus came to save.

Hebrews 10:39 But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul.

Hebrews 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Body = is a reflection of what’s in the soul.

James 3:6 The tongue is a flame too. Among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a whole wicked world: it infects the whole body; catching fire itself from ####, it sets fire to the whole wheel of creation.

James 3:8 But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies.

Luke 6:45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

The body is an expression of what’s in our soul. What ever is in our soul will be expressed through our bodies.

With this we can understand that as we hear and see things in life it enters into our minds (spirit). If we desire these things we are hearing and seeing they will begin to form who we are, in other words’ they will begin to be a record in our soul to form our character.

God has given us a conscience to govern what we allow into our souls. If we are not careful our conscience can become hardened or weakened because of our desire to seek after things that are against how God created us.

How does God correct our souls?

Hebrews 4:12  For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The word of God will come between our natural thoughts and our soul in order to conform us to the image of His Son in our character. The word of God works with our conscience to strengthen and teach us in the way of righteousness.

Jesus came to cleans us and heal us of these things that are wrong in our souls. He wants to make us righteous and holy in character by renewing our minds. When this begins to happen in our lives we will be blessed. We will experience a joy that nothing in this world can give.

God created us righteous and holy and He said it was good but we have fallen from this. God’s plan is to restore us, He wants to bring us back, if we let Him.

With this study in mind we can now understand how the world around us can influence who we are. In our daily lives we see many different things in people. When I see someone who is wearing a long black trench coat and black boots and a tee shirt that says "Rock and Roll Rules." I can understand what he is taking into his mind and what his desires are focused on by what he is expressing through his body. What he is expressing in his body is coming from his soul, his character, which has entered in through his mind. If I were to go to this person’s bedroom I will probably find rock and roll posters, rock and roll CDs and personal items that identify his favorite rock stars.

Our characters are formed through the desires we have to seek after things, whether they are godly or not. These things we desire will form our character and be expressed through our bodies in how we talk (tongue) and in how we dress and behave (deeds).

James 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.

This is why we have to guard our hearts when it comes to desiring things that will separate us from God.

When you see someone expressing ungodly things in their lives this will tell you that he has a problem in his soul. He is seeking after ungodly things in his life that are forming his character. God has a plan for us and it’s found in the book of Romans.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Jesus is a picture of how God wants us to be. As we hear God’s word and have a desire to apply it to our lives, our soul will begin to be form into Jesus’ character. When people see us they will be seeing Jesus in us being expressed in our words and deeds.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and per
    fect, will of God.

The spiritual mindset that is in the world is against God. It’s a fallen world mindset that is causing a lot of problems in society. We are not to let these worldly antichrist viewpoints influence our lives to form who we are.

A final word…

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Truth in love,
    John

(Edited by John at 1:31 am on Feb. 20, 2004)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    A lovely post. But all the books of Paul were written to the saved and not the unsaved. It is true that we must become as Jesus but before these changes can be worked into our character we must be born again of water and the Spirit into the Son of God. We cannot save ourselves by reading the word and just imitating the attitudes and behaviours of the Son. We need to produce the fruit of the Spirit and not our own righteousness which is as filthy rags.

Christofer
    Participant

That was a good post John – however – I disagree about how you broke up body – spirit and soul.

The spirit…

Genesis 6:3 And the LORD said, “My Spirit will not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh

Ecclesiastes 12:7 and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

The Soul

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 12:18 “Behold, my servant whom I have chosen; my beloved in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my Spirit on him. He will proclaim justice to the nations.

the body

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

the Body is 'dust' – the breath is spirit (spirit is ruwach in on Hebrew – meaning breath of air – amazingly enough) – and the soul is uniquely us.

At least – thats how I understood it –:)

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi C,
    Man is body and with the breath of God became a living soul. So the breath of God provides soul and spirit, with spirit being life[Js 2.26]?

Matt 12.18 and other places suggest God is Soul and Spirit-perhaps this is the way we are made in His image?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This forum may be relevant to current debate and discussion.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Man is body and with the breath of God became a living soul. So the breath of God provides soul and spirit, with spirit being life[Js 2.26]?

God breathed into Adam the breath of life and he became a living soul.
    An enlivened soul, enlivened by the breath.
    I believe the soul is like a seed.
    You plant a seed in the ground and it builds a body from the nutrients in womb of the earth.

Artizan007
    Participant

Question:

Is the soul of man immortal and therefore the body that gains immortality at the ressurection; or is the soul of man mortal and needs resurrection in the last days. Only God has immortality in himself we are taught in 1 Tim 6.

I have been trying to understand this concept, for if we have an immortal soul then we can never truly die? We just trade realities and remain alive in some state somewhere, therefore what is the purpose or the great news of the resurrection of Christ, who is the first fruits to be raised from the dead… if we dont die when we return to dust… then we are really alive and do not need resurrection. So what is it that is being given up from the ground, the sea, hades at the end of the Age in Revelation 20.

Christ was the first man to be raise from death, then we too at Christ's coming… 1 Cor 15:.

Also how can you separate between thoughts and spirit and body. They all intertwine. If you have no body you are dead, if you have no mind you are dead, if you have no spirit then you could not exist… so all work together and you need all to be humankind. Spirit soul and body makes the person… I am not a being inside a being…

Mankind is nephesh – a breathing, animated, being… just like the other creatures made in Genesis: The same word is used to describe humankind, fish, birds, and livestock, yet it is transated different when describing man. That makes no sense – it is in the same text, so why do we use a different word for us… I feel it only confuses the issue. However, only humankind was made in the image of God… that is why we are different… each of us has the breath (ruach) of life in us, all of us are subject to death both animals and humanity.

Ecclessiaties 3:19
    For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same; as one dies, so dies the other. They all have the same breath, and man has no advantage over the beasts; for all is vanity.

This scripture says we are no different in make up to the animals, birds or creatures of the sea – we are all mortal and die, we all have the breath of God, and all of us were made by his creative ability. Also see death of mankind and animals in the flood, all who had the breath of God in the… we are the same. Only they do not have the Godlike ability to make the choices we do – that is how we differ – rationality. Only we can gain immortality and are promised immortality by accepting the word of Christ and following his ways, accepting Him as Lord of our lives, his word as the principle to live by and repenting from our life opposed to God.

How can this be, because Jesus was given authority over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as God has given to him – it was Jesus command from the Father. (John 12 & 17). What is eternal life, Jesus' word given from to Him by God. That word is the seed of eternal life; that incorruptible seed which is able to save our souls… see James 1:21 and 1 Pet 1:23 – I find it very interesting that believing in Jesus is synonomus with believing in his word and both produce eternal life. The person of Jesus and his word are inseperable… Makes me think of God and the word in John 1… they are one, God's word is who He is… His word does not return to Him void but will accomplish what he has sent it out to do… God's word was set in motion and became flesh… that flesh was the Christ, the Annointed One – in the appointed time. 1 Peter 1:20.

That last bit is my thought…

kenrch
    Participant

Matt. 10:28 fear him who can “destroy” both body and “soul”

If your soul were immortal then not even God could destroy it.

Artizan007
    Participant

I agree Kenrch…

TJStarfire
    Participant

Misleading believers Ken

Leaving out the in Hell part changes the whole meaning doesn't it?
    Those souls aren't destroyed, because they were a part of God.
    They are just trapped there, for much the same reason as those who rebelled
    before were just cast down and chained to this planet.

:blues:
    However, if a part of GOD could be destroyed He would be the one who would know how to do that.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Is the soul immortal?
    The souls that paid the penalty for sin were all in hell according to the scriptures.
    Jesus descended and preached to those that did not repent, then led those that had out of their captivity into glory.
    Clearly then the soul is not cursed by the Law of the original Sin inherited from Adam, being not part of the earth that was cursed.
    The soul being a spiritual entity is destroyed by the second death, as we read in Revelation.
    I believe it is the soul that has a potential to live eternally, like a seed this potential of life is expressed in a body. Our first birth was into a body of death because of inherited sin.
    Our second birth is into a body of life because of inherited righteousness.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (malcolm ferris @ May 08 2006,04:58)
    Is the soul immortal?
    The souls that paid the penalty for sin were all in hell according to the scriptures.
    Jesus descended and preached to those that did not repent, then led those that had out of their captivity into glory.
    Clearly then the soul is not cursed by the Law of the original Sin inherited from Adam, being not part of the earth that was cursed.
    The soul being a spiritual entity is destroyed by the second death, as we read in Revelation.
    I believe it is the soul that has a potential to live eternally, like a seed this potential of life is expressed in a body. Our first birth was into a body of death because of inherited sin.
    Our second birth is into a body of life because of inherited righteousness.

Hi Malcolm,
    'Hell', of course is not a good word. KJV [and other versions too]does not discriminate between Hades and the Lake of fire. The difference is vital. There are forums on this too.

malcolm ferris
    Participant

True Nick
    Many people associate the word hell with the lake of fire.
    Hell in the context of David's psalm here is not a place of burning, more like a place where you get to prepare for the barbeque by marinating with a certain fearful looking to the day of burning that approaches.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Malcolm,
    Jesus quoted Isaiah 66.24 too as a reminder of the Lake of fire, the second death.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    This is topical.

epistemaniac
    Participant

Hi, this is not :)

NickHassan
    Participant

hmmm

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    We cannot see the kingdom till we have been born again. Those who judge others have the bigger logs in their eyes. It is one of the scriptural truths that if you are not in Christ you will see in others what is in you and you will take the opposite view of life than that which you should.

2Thess 2
    “9The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, 10and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.”

Rom 1
    ” 21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.”

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Martian has suggested that all men are made with God living in them.
    Who agrees?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account