Two Resurrections?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

John 5:29 (King James Version)

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

There are two resurrections spoken in this scripture.

One is the resurrection of life.

The other is the resurrection of damnation.

It this a true understanding or a false one?

terraricca
    Participant

Kerwin

Rev 20:5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.
    Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Rev 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
    Rev 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.
    Rev 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Pierre

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Hi Kerwin,

Pierre's scripture points out the two resurrections. But I understand that all who are still dead will be raised in the second resurrection – some to go off into everlasting life and others into everlasting destruction. It is the same resurrection for everyone, for ALL will be raised and judged.

Here's how the NIV translates your scripture:
    and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

This is also how I understand the verse you quoted.

peace,
    mike

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 28 2011,05:12)
    Kerwin

Rev 20:5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection.
    Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Rev 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.
    Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
    Rev 20:13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.
    Rev 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
    Rev 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Pierre

Pierre,

An appropriate scripture for this thread. I saw a description of those that partake of the first resurrection and it matches what Peter wrote to his readers in 1st Peter.

1 Peter 2:9

King James Version (KJV)

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

On the other hand Revelations 20:5-15 does not describe those that partake of the second resurrection. Do you know of any scripture that does. Was Jesus speaking of the same two resurrections in John 5:29?

Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 20 2011,16:07)

29And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Hi Kerwin:

This is the same understanding that I have by the scriptures. The first resurrection:

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

I will also state here that there will be some who are alive at Jesus coming for the church who have not been saved, and will have received the Mark of the Beast. These will be judge by the seven last plagues after the first resurrection.

Those who have died in their sins since the coming of the Lord in his earthly ministry will be raised from the dead to be judged in the second resurrection to be judged according to their works.

Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This [is] the first resurrection.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy [is] he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev 20:11 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Love in Christ,
    Marty

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 28 2011,18:31)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

An appropriate scripture for this thread.  I saw a description of those that partake of the first resurrection and it matches what Peter wrote to his readers in 1st Peter.

King James Version (KJV)

9But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

On the other hand Revelations 20:5-15 does not describe those that partake of the second resurrection.  Do you know of any scripture that does.  Was Jesus speaking of the same two resurrections in John 5:29?

kerwin

Mt 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
    Mt 10:15 I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.
    Mt 11:22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you.
    Mt 11:24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”
    Mt 12:36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.
    Mt 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here.
    Mt 12:42 The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.

Mt 12:36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken.

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 28 2011,07:26)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

An appropriate scripture for this thread.  I saw a description of those that partake of the first resurrection and it matches what Peter wrote to his readers in 1st Peter.

King James Version (KJV)

On the other hand Revelations 20:5-15 does not describe those that partake of the second resurrection.  Do you know of any scripture that does.  Was Jesus speaking of the same two resurrections in John 5:29?

kerwin

Mt 5:22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.
    Mt 10:15 I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.
    Mt 11:22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you.
    Mt 11:24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”
    Mt 12:41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now one greater than Jonah is here.
    Mt 12:42 The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now one greater than Solomon is here.

Pierre

Pierre,

Are you using these scripture from Matthew to show that the secound resurrection, (which occurs 1000 prophetic years after the first), is the resurrection of the wicked?

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 28 2011,22:06)

Quote (terraricca @ July 28 2011,07:26)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

King James Version (KJV)

kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

Are you using these scripture from Matthew to show that the secound resurrection, (which occurs 1000 prophetic years after the first), is the resurrection of the wicked?

Kerwin

Ecc 12:13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments; for that is the whole duty of everyone. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every secret thing, whether good or evil.

Kerwin

the second resurrection is for all the good and who done evil,
    the first resurrection will be the ones who have believed God and Christ during there live ,with the 144k being the first fruits
    as you can read in revelation that those who are from the first resurrection will be living at the same time but will not be affected by the second dead because they have already be judged as being righteous

the time allowed to the judgement of all those people still not clear to me ,the scriptures talks about a little time .

but this could 20 or 40 years ??????????????

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 20 2011,23:07)

Kerwin

there is no resurrection of damnation, the second resurrection

it is of judgement because it is the resurrection of both good and evil ,

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 28 2011,10:54)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

So you are stateing that despite the way Jesus chose to word John 5:29 he is only speaking of one resurrection.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 29 2011,01:39)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

So you are stateing that despite the way Jesus chose to word John 5:29 he is only speaking of one resurrection.

kerwin

Jn 5:24 “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
    first resurrection ok

Jn 5:28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice
    Jn 5:29 and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

second resurrection ok

the first resurrection is the is the first fruits,and those in Christ,

all others are all humanity that died since the beginning ,to receive judgement on what they have done either good or bad
    just as verse 29 says,

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 28 2011,17:58)

Quote (kerwin @ July 29 2011,01:39)

Kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

kerwin

Jn 5:24 “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.
    first resurrection ok

Jn 5:28 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice
    Jn 5:29 and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

second resurrection ok

the first resurrection is the is the first fruits,and those in Christ,

all others are all humanity that died since the beginning ,to receive judgement on what they have done either good or bad
    just as verse 29 says,

Pierre

Pierre,

What version of Scripture are you using?

terraricca
    Participant

Kerwin

Pierre,

I use many;INV ,NLT,KJV,NASB,LXX,DARBY,NWT,those I use for Internet but I have many more that I read into,

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 29 2011,10:51)
    Kerwin

Pierre,

I use many;INV ,NLT,KJV,NASB,LXX,DARBY,NWT,those I use for Internet but I have many more that I read into,

Pierre

Pierre,

I was referring to the one that you used for the scriptures you quoted prieviously as it will aid me in my understanding. Thank you!

Edited to sound more polite.

terraricca
    Participant

Kerwin

i think the first scripture i quote and the second one is from NIV

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ July 29 2011,11:30)
    Kerwin

i think the first scripture i quote  and the second one is from NIV

Pierre

Pierre,

Thank you! If God so wills I plan on looking into this topic some more.

ftk
    Participant

Can anybody see? We were dead in our trespasses and sin but Jesus, (the word of God) resurrected us to new life in Christ. I died, it is no longer me that liveth but Christ in me…! Jesus gave us eternal life. There is no death in eternal life! The resurrection of mankind is from death to life. Isn't that what happened through Jesus. Weren't we set free from the law of sin and death? Death where is thy sting?

One must die to be “born again” to new life in Christ. Resurrection from the dead or from sin and death or from darkness is dying and being born again! Jesus is the resurrection to life in God! Do we not “rise up” to God through the truth from Jesus? From death to life we are resurrected by the words of Jesus. It seems spirituality is what is dead! IMO, TK

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (ftk @ July 30 2011,04:05)
    Can anybody see? We were dead in our trespasses and sin but Jesus, (the word of God) resurrected us to new life in Christ. I died, it is no longer me that liveth but Christ in me…! Jesus gave us eternal life. There is no death in eternal life! The resurrection of mankind is from death to life. Isn't that what happened through Jesus. Weren't we set free from the law of sin and death? Death where is thy sting?

One must die to be “born again” to new life in Christ. Resurrection from the dead or from sin and death or from darkness is dying and being born again! Jesus is the resurrection to life in God! Do we not “rise up” to God through the truth from Jesus? From death to life we are resurrected by the words of Jesus. It seems spirituality is what is dead! IMO, TK

TK

i understand what you say ,but it is only true if we obey the will of God until the end of our live or the return of Christ ,right ?

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Pierre,

These are the scriptures from both the NIV and KJV that seem important to the issue of the two resurrections.

Luke 14

King James Version (KJV)

14And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

Luke 14

New International Version (NIV)

14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

John 5:29

King James Version (KJV)

John 5:29

29 and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

Acts 24:15

King James Version (KJV)

15And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

Acts 24:15

15 and I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

Revelation 20

King James Version (KJV)

4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 20

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

1 Thessalonians 4

King James Version (KJV)

16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4

16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever

It is clear that some scriptures appear to speak of but one resurrection which is for both the righteous and wicked while others speak of a separate resurrection for each group.

In looking at Revelations 20:4-6, I see that it clearly describes two separate resurrections and that the first one is clearly for those that are righteous.  The second resurrection is not remarked on but using the KJV of John 5:29 and both versions Luke 14:14 it is easy to see that one resurrection is of the righteous and the other is of the wicked.   John 5:29 of the NIV and Acts 24:15 of both versions do not say there is only one resurrection for both the righteous and the wicked though they also do not say there is not.  I know of no other scripture that describes a second resurrection that is of any group besides the wicked.

1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 describes those that die in Christ, (Is there any other type righteous?), being resurrected and the living also being changed at the beginning of the prophetic thousand years.

So from these scriptures it seems clear that the righteous dead will be transformed and raised and then they together with the living will enter New Jerusalem while the wicked dead will wait to be resurrected until after the thousand prophetic years are over.  I see nothing in scripture that supports anything else.

If you know any scriptures that actually state otherwise then please let me know.  Thank you!

terraricca
    Participant

Kerwin

13 Hear the end of the matter, the sun: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole man. 14 For God will bring every work into judgment, with everything that has been overlooked, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

the two resurrection are of two group of people ,

1) first resurrection ,first fruits 144k and those in Christ who died faithfully,

2)all the people who ever lived on earth ,they be resurrected for the judgement ,but will be judged on what they have done during there live on earth either good or bad ,
    when the it is done the wicket people will be disposed of and the good people will be declared righteous,and so join up with the rest of the first resurrection and become one in Christ ,
    then Christ will destroy dead ,and submit himself to his father and God ,and now all is in God and God in all , and now God say he will make all new,

Pierre

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account