The Way

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 953 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

Is there any Greek word that actually means worship?  I looked up both “proskyneō” and “latreuō” which are sometime translated “Worship” and they don't fit the bill because they can apply to others but God.

“shachah” the Hebrew word that is translated “worship” is the same.  

When looking at there language, I don't frankly see where the Hebrews or the Greeks made a difference between homage and worship.

Quote (kerwin @ July 21 2009,02:11)
    Is there any Greek word that actually means worship?  I looked up both “proskyneō” and “latreuō” which are sometime translated “Worship” and they don't fit the bill because they can apply to others but God.

“shachah” the Hebrew word that is translated “worship” is the same.  

When looking at there language, I don't frankly see where the Hebrews or the Greeks made a difference between homage and worship.

Hi Kerwin

The Apostles knew what worship was, and the greek word “proskyneō” is only practiced on the Father and Jesus without being discouraged by the recipient. In every other case it was in mockery or was discouraged by the recipients, and the one that didn't give God the glory was eaten up with worms.

I might mention also that the same word was practiced on Jesus that Jesus used in John 4 in describing our worship to the Father, yet Jesus never discouraged those who worshipped, “proskyneō” him!

The same word is also used in describing the worship of God in the Temple!

Do a study and see for yourself, the word is exclusively practiced on the Father and Jesus and recieved by the Father and Jesus in the NT.

This should also be quite troubling to the anti-trinitarians.

Blessings WJ

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    Is that the worship the Father seeks?

kerwin
    Participant

This is what my source states:

Entry for proskyneō at Heartlight's Search God's Word (searchgodsword.org) on July 21,2009:

1. to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
    2. among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
    3. in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
    1. used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
    1. to the Jewish high priests
    2. to God
    3. to Christ
    4. to heavenly beings
    5. to demons

Quote (kerwin @ July 21 2009,03:25)
    This is what my source states:

Entry for proskyneō at Heartlight's Search God's Word (searchgodsword.org) on July 21,2009:

1.  to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
      2. among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound reverence
      3. in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
            1. used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
                  1. to the Jewish high priests
                  2. to God
                  3. to Christ
                  4. to heavenly beings
                  5. to demons

Hi Kerwin

Yes, those are examples of how the word was used, but as I said in each case it was either discouraged by the recipient, or it was in mockery, except when it was practiced on the Father and Jesus!

Can you find one NT example where the word is accepted as homage and not worship?

WJ

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ July 21 2009,18:43)
    Do a study and see for yourself, the word is exclusively practiced on the Father and Jesus and recieved by the Father and Jesus in the NT.

As a Trinitarian, it was troubling to me that the third person of the Trinity wasn't worshipped the same way the other two were. After all, “they” are supposed to be ONE. It just didn't seem fair! :;):

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ July 21 2009,14:22)
    To all……….All who teach and preach Jesus as a GOD are turning Jesus into the MAN OF SIN and are committing IDOLATRY. You shall have (NO) other GODS besides ME, said the eternal Father the GOD of all creation, who Jesus worshiped and obeyed, and called Him FATHER, and when he left He said plainly i am going to my GOD and YOUR GOD , my FATHER and YOUR FATHER. No difference between us and Jesus. Come out of all the false teaching of the Trinity and the true Gospel will shine unto you. Do not practice the Idolatress teachings of the TRINITY. IMO

peace and love to you all……………………gene

Gene,
    Then the Father is an idolater. He calls the Son “God” in Hebrews 1,

Your throne O God is forever and ever

thinker

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    You may dare make such calls but his word speaks of angels, men and the satan gods.
    If you were of the Spirit you would listen to Paul in 1 Cor 8.

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 21 2009,19:37)

As a Trinitarian, it was troubling to me that the third person of the Trinity wasn't worshipped the same way the other two were.  After all, “they” are supposed to be ONE.  It just didn't seem fair!   :;):

HI Mandy,
    Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would assume a “behind the stage” role. Jesus said that He would not speak of Himself but would glorify Jesus,

Howbeit, when He, the Spirit of truth is come, He will guide you into all truth; for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear He shall speak; and he shall show you things to come. He shall glorify Me… (John 16:13-14)

Why would humility in the Godhead be troubling? Humility is godly. What should be troubling to the anti-trinitarian is that the Holy Spirit glorifies Jesus. All the anti-trinitarian talks about is the Father. All the Holy Spirit talks about is Jesus. There is something wrong with this picture.  ???

After all, “they” are supposed to be ONE.  It just didn't seem fair!

This is what I am talking about. The members of the Godhead are not petty like us. There is nothing but humility in the Godhead.    

Jack

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi TT,
    What is this godhead?
    Some sort of a business relationship?

Quote (Not3in1 @ July 21 2009,03:37)

As a Trinitarian, it was troubling to me that the third person of the Trinity wasn't worshipped the same way the other two were.  After all, “they” are supposed to be ONE.  It just didn't seem fair!   :;):

Hi Mandy

Theres a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place

And I know that its the Spirit of the Lord

There are sweet expressions on each face

And I know that its the Spirit of the Lord

Sweet Holy Spirit

Sweet heavenly dove

Stay right here with us

Filling us with your Love

And for these blessings

We lift our hearts in praise

Without a doubt we'll know

That we have been revived

When we shall leave this place

Mandy the role of the Holy Spirit is to Glorify the Father and the Son and not speak of himself, yet he proceeds from the Father and the Son as one with them in every way!

WJ

wj you got a good point may I say though that the holy ghost can and does speak through us

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

WJ…………Spirit is not a He it is an (IT), it is the intellect of GOD, not a separate person or being as TRINITARIANS think. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………………….gene

I believe jesus was God in the flesh, the Holy Ghost is the comforter/ one who lives in us,God is a spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and i truth.

Quote (Gene @ July 21 2009,11:47)
    WJ…………Spirit is not a He it is an (IT), it is the intellect of GOD, not a separate person or being as TRINITARIANS think. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………………….gene

Hi GB

Thanks for your opinion, but it is not scriptural.

Now the Lord is the Spirit“, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 2 Cor 3:17

Can you give us a scripture that says God is an it or an intellect?

WJ

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    So the Spirit of God poured out is now also the Spirit of Christ and the will of God is that His Spirit would also enliven us in Him in Christ.

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 21 2009,12:03)
    Hi WJ,
    So the Spirit of God poured out is now also the Spirit of Christ and the will of God is that His Spirit would also enliven us in Him in Christ.

Hi NH

So God's Spirit became Jesus Spirit?

Is there a scripture for that?

WJ

the spirit was poured out in our church on sun with one baptism and alot of worship and prayer

kerwin
    Participant

Worshipping Jesus wrote:

Can you find one NT example where the word is accepted as homage and not worship?

Have you considered what you are stating?  I ask because you  reasoning is not logical since you are “begging the question” as the question is how ”proskyneo” is translated in the New Testament and you tell me that it is translated “worship” because that is how it is translated in the New Testament.

My point is that first the Hebrews themselves did not reserve a word to be used just in relation to God but used the same word for either God or man and expected their hearers to know that you only worshipped God as God.  This idea seemed to transfer to Greek but not as well to English has we do differentiate the two which makes translation tricky.

Danial 2:46(KJV) reads:

Then the king Nebuchadnezzar fell upon his face, and worshipped Daniel, and commanded that they should offer an oblation and sweet odours unto him.

Who here believe that king Nebuchadnezzar believed that Danial was God especially since Daniel is the one who called him king?

Of course this is an Old Testament verse and so I am unsure what Greek word was used in the Greek versions of scripture.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ July 22 2009,04:18)

Quote (Nick Hassan @ July 21 2009,12:03)
    Hi WJ,

Hi NH

So God's Spirit became Jesus Spirit?

Is there a scripture for that?

WJ

Hi WJ,
    The Lord is the Spirit.
    Lord in the NT refers to Jesus Christ.

Viewing 20 posts - 721 through 740 (of 953 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account