The soul

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 645 total)
  • Author
    kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

I believe you are confused by the use of “synecdoche” in scripture. Examples of synecdoche are “all hands on deck” and “Get your butt over here”. I doubt you believe that either the hands or the butt are the whole man even though they are used to mean the whole man

So when you look at Genesis2:7 the living soul is either the whole being or the whole being called by its part known as a soul.

You can see that both Genesis 1:30 and Genesis 9:4 clearly state in Hebrew that the soul is in the flesh and so not the whole being.

2 Corinthians 5
    King James Version (KJV)

2For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
    3If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

So looking at these words Paul expects his naked self to be put in flesh that comes from heaven when the flesh the flesh that comes from earth is no more. So this naked part of Paul was in the flesh that comes from earth and once that flesh more it was housed in the flesh that comes from heaven.

You can see that both the soul and this naked part of Paul dwell within flesh.

Is the naked part of Paul the soul?

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 23 2011,05:45)

Quote (t8 @ Sep. 23 2011,08:34)
    But Gene, your definition of soul as a combination of parts can only mean that you teach that we the soul are the whole being.
    If the soul is the whole being, then when we get a new spirit and a new body, then all the parts are replaced, and so why is it that we are not replaced?
    Why is it that scripture talks of salvation of our souls rather than we die and are replaced?

T8……….The Soul is all of the “LIVING PARTS” it is the complete person it has contained in it Living Spirit which causes the Body to LIVE. But the whole combined Living Spirit in the Body give LIFE to our BODIES and the whole thing is called a “LIVING SOUL” you simply are not a living Soul without  Both a body and Living spirit in it.  T8 why do you think Jesus said GOD could destory both the body and soul (in) the grave then? because if the body is destoryed so is the SOUL> remember where it say “the”SOUL” that sins (IT) Shall DIE”>

Psa 22:29…..> All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship; all they that go down to the dust shall bow before him: and none can keep alive his own soul.

Psa 89:48…..> What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his SOUL from the hand of the GRAVE? Selah.

Eze 18:4…..> Behold, all Souls are mine;as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth,   IT SHALL DIE

Psa16:11…..For thou will not leave my Soul in Hell or GRAVE, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Acts 2:31….>  he seeing this before spake of the resurrection  of Christ, that his Soul was not left in Hell i.e. GRAVE, neither his flesh did see corruption.

T8 , cant you see the Soul and the Flesh are connected in order to have a Living Being or living Soul? IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………………….gene

Gene,

Sheol translated Grave is the Hebrew Land of the dead just as Hades is.  Hades is the Greek translation of Sheol.

Here is what Merriam-Websters says about it.

Gehenna is a place of torment as well as being an earthly place name called valley of Hinnom.

Here is what Merriam-Websters says about it.

Some translators errored, either because of lack of knowledge or corruption, and translated them both to hell even though they are two separate concepts.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin………..If as you say the STATE OF THE DEAD is a Place which i agree with , that state is dead not alive as you seem to think. Scripture tells that when a person dies His thoughts PARISH, Now if his thought PARISH He no longer is alive. You seem to believe that when a person is DEAD he really is NOT DEAD, like there is some kind of AFTER Life going on but scripture does not back that up. “the dead know nothing in the day they die their thoughts parish . Now Parish means no longer exist so how could the person still exist then, Kerwin it is MYSTERY RELIGION that thinks a Person still lives are he dies. IMO

peace and Love………………………………………………gene

terraricca
    Participant

Kerwin

Pierre,

I can understand the Lexicon entry about “nephesh”

We are speaking of 'nephesh” elsewhere as it is a Hebrew word and perhaps we can discuss it there if you feel capable of sharing your insights.

On this line of communications I explained what I believe Paul is teaching and why I believe that. I then asked you to answer what two parts of Paul were struggling against each other and how did Jesus rescue him from that internal struggle.

Are those question you are unwilling to answer?

————–

but Paul answer those questions can you not read it in the scriptures ? I have given you,

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 23 2011,19:59)
    Kerwin………..If as you say the STATE OF THE DEAD is a Place which i agree with , that state is dead not alive as you seem to think. Scripture tells that when a person dies His thoughts PARISH, Now if his thought PARISH He no longer is alive. You seem to believe that when a person is DEAD he really is NOT DEAD, like there is some kind of AFTER Life going on but scripture does not back that up. “the dead know nothing in the day they die their thoughts parish . Now Parish means no longer exist so how could the person still exist then, Kerwin it is MYSTERY RELIGION that thinks a Person still lives are he dies. IMO

Gene,

Where does it state the thoughts of the dead perish?

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 23 2011,20:53)
    Kerwin

Pierre,

We are speaking of 'nephesh” elsewhere as it is a Hebrew word and perhaps we can discuss it there if you feel capable of sharing your insights.

On this line of communications I explained what I believe Paul is teaching and why I believe that.  I then asked you to answer what two parts of Paul were struggling against each other and how did Jesus rescue him from that internal struggle.  

————–

but Paul answer those questions can you not read it in the scriptures ? I have given you,

Pierre

Pierre,

I already demonstrated I read it. The answers to my questions instruct me on what insights you have gleaned from what you read. I have shared some of mine though there is related insights.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 24 2011,13:45)

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 23 2011,20:53)
    Kerwin

Pierre,

On this line of communications I explained what I believe Paul is teaching and why I believe that.  I then asked you to answer what two parts of Paul were struggling against each other and how did Jesus rescue him from that internal struggle.  

————–

Pierre

Pierre,

I already demonstrated I read it.  The answers to my questions instruct me on what insights you have gleaned from what you read. I have shared some of mine though there is related insights.

kerwin

you have to talk English and more explicit in what you understand and what you looking for

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 21 2011,08:48)
    Pierre,

JUST UNDERSTAND THAT THE FRUITS OF THE SPIRIT IS NOT  OF OUR SPIRIT BUT

GODS SPIRIT

It is my understanding that the Spirit of God teaches our spirit to grow the fruits of righteousness.

THIS IS WHAT PAUL RECOMMEND TO LOOK FOR AND PRACTICE THEM.

Our spirit learns by obeying the teachings of the Spirit of God by the power of God that comes through faith.

our soul is not our spirit (mind) the soul is US as individual, but our spirit (mind) is our product (ability to fill the soul with good or bad knowledge and intention)
    and it is trough our flesh that we act on that knowledge and will power we have in the soul,

we can fill our mind with all sorts of things and it will be loaded in our soul, and so become pure or filthy ,approved or rejected  by God ,

so what the verse is saying to me ,is fill your soul with the love of good and approve thing so that it will be saved when the judgment is made, and be found righteous.

The evidence I have seen equates the soul to the mind and not the spirit but what you say seems to have some truth in it but is yet incomplete.

Romans 7
    King James Version (KJV)

22For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
    23But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
    24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

In this passage Paul uses inward man and mind as synonyms of one another.

Romans 7
    King James Version (KJV)

24O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
    25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

This scripture demonstrates the mind is a slave to the law of sin that is in the flesh.

This is what we are taught about the flesh.

Galatians 5
    King James Version (KJV)

19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

So what two parts of Paul are struggling against each other?

How does Jesus deliver him from the struggle?

Pierre,

This is the post. I am being as explicit as I can be. What I write her is in English.

Scripture often used more than one word to symbolize the same concept. Paul does that in Romans 7 as well as other places. Paul describes a struggle between two different parts of himself. I asked you what the concepts of each of those parts is.

I believe those concepts are the soul that pants for God's righteousness and the sinful spirit that falls short of God's glory. That is why in Romans 6 he speaks of being a servant of sin before entering into a covenant with Jesus Anointed.

I am asking you what parts of him he describes as struggling with one another and how Jesus frees him from that struggle.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 24 2011,06:38)

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 23 2011,19:59)
    Kerwin………..If as you say the STATE OF THE DEAD is a Place which i agree with , that state is dead not alive as you seem to think. Scripture tells that when a person dies His thoughts PARISH, Now if his thought PARISH He no longer is alive. You seem to believe that when a person is DEAD he really is NOT DEAD, like there is some kind of AFTER Life going on but scripture does not back that up. “the dead know nothing in the day they die their thoughts parished . Now Parish means no longer exist so how could the person still exist then, Kerwin it is MYSTERY RELIGION that thinks a Person still lives are he dies. IMO

Gene,

Where does it state the thoughts of the dead perish?

Kerwin……… Here is the scriptures you ask for brother.

Ecc 9: 5…..> For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything neither have they anymore a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6……> Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now  “PERISHED”  
    ; neither have they anymore a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun.

Ecc 9:10……> Whatsoever thy hand finds to do,do it with they might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the “GRAVE” where you go.

Kerwin……………..if all of these thing are gone in the grave if they do not remain they have PERISHED when you die, you are not still living in any form but are dead and not active at all our only hope is a resurrection given us by GOD the Father through the blood of Jesus or we are gone forever once we are in that grave. There is No activate of any kind in the grave. IMO

Peace and love to you and yours………………………………gene

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Here is the Scripture you believe means the dead have no memories.

Ecc 9: 5…..> For the living now that they shall die: but the dead know not anything neither have they anymore a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6……> Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now  “PERISHED”  
    ; neither have they anymore a portion forever in anything that is done under the sun.

Ecc 9:10……> Whatsoever thy hand finds to do,do it with they might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the “GRAVE” where you go.

Thank you thou I plan to demonstrate that scripture does not mean that the dead have no memories or awareness.

First I will start with some history of the concept of Sheol/Hades included religious tenets about it known to exist before and at the time Jesus was directly present in this world.

I already gave you the definition of the words Sheol and Gehenna as they are in English and the concepts are obviously not the same.  As the Hebrew language is prone to do the name are symbolic of the concept they express.  

The Hebrew Sheol was translated to the common Greek Hades as early as 200 BC.  That would be the Septuagint Old Testament Translation of Scriptures.  The New Testament does the same.  Hades is the realm of the dead though in later use Hades came also to mean grave, death, hell.   Jesus describes a land of the dead divided into two parts one being a place of torment for the wicked and the other being a pleasure garden for the righteous.  These two concepts are labeled Tartarus and Paradise respectively in Greek and both labels are contained in other places of the New Testament.  The book of Enoch and the Apocalypse of Zephaniah, neither being officially recognized as scripture, teach of a divided Sheol and the concept recorded in the  Apocalypse is similar to the one Jesus described in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.  Both predate the conception of Jesus by 1 or 2 centuries.

So both the Hebrew word Sheol and the Greek word Hades were being used symbolize the concept of the land of the dead at the time of Jesus’ earthly ministry and I doubt that Jesus legitimatize an existing false doctrine, even by using it in a parable.

Knowing these things let’s take another look at the words in Ecclesiastes 9 after considering the context supplied by the words of Hebrews 9:27.

Hebrews 9
    King James Version (KJV)

27And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Ecclesiastes 9
    King James Version (KJV)

4For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

The living have hope because they are not yet subject to judgment and so can do something about it.   The dead have no hope as they are awaiting the judgment that is their due for what they have done before death.

Ecclesiastes 9
    King James Version (KJV)

5For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

God does not forget the dead but since their actions are of no matter to their judgment there is no longer a need to consider them.

It is obvious that there is a reward for some of the dead as not all will be destroyed but since they are dead they reward for their actions and so cannot repent in Sheol.  

Verse 6 actually lists some things the dead do not know.

Ecclesiastes 9
    King James Version (KJV)

6Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

It is another way of stating that the desires of the dead are no more as there is no purpose for the dead to be tempted either to do right or to sin as they are subject to judgment.

Romans 6:7
    King James Version (KJV)

7For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Ecclesiastes 9
    King James Version (KJV)

7Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
    8Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.
    9Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
    10Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Verses 7-10 are the instructions to do what you can in life because you cannot do in death because you are then subject to judgment and nothing you would do will serve the purpose to alter your fate.

None of this makes the point that the thoughts of the dead perish neither does it contradict Jesus’ account of Sheol in the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.

Isaiah compares the speech of some punished by God to the speech of the dead and so the dead are shown to have speech.  In order to whisper you must have a language you remember and some type of existence.

Isaiah 29:4
    King James Version (KJV)

4And thou shalt be brought down, and shalt speak out of the ground, and thy speech shall be low out of the dust, and thy voice shall be, as of one that hath a familiar spirit, out of the ground, and thy speech shall whisper out of the dust.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Kerwin………..Obviously your rendition of these Scriptures is completely different in what i believe they plainly say,  Your thinking that a Parable is a true and exact story of what happen to a person is in error. Jesus was just making the Point of no more chance to change once we die and nothing to do with a Place of continual life after death, but a certain looking forward to Judgment after the resurrection from the Grave.  Your are confusing both time and place of those Judgment and their appropriate consequences. The dead remain DEAD, until they are raised back to life, Only MYSTERY RELIGION Teaches a mysterious death after life. IMO, WE may to just have to disagree on this until more light can be spread on this subject.

peace and love…………………………………………………………..gene

terraricca
    Participant

gene

you may never see the light if you do not look for it,

it is not your way but Gods way that you look for light

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Sep. 24 2011,21:09)
    Kerwin………..Obviously your rendition of these Scriptures is completely different in what i believe they plainly say,  Your thinking that a Parable is a rue and exact story of what happen to a person is in error. Jesus was just making the Point of no more chance to change once we die and nothing to do with a Place of continual life after death, but a certain looking forward to Judgment after the resurrection from the Grave.  Your are confusing both time and place of those Judgment and their appropriate consequences. The dead remain DEAD, until they are raised back to life, Only MYSTERY RELIGION Teaches a mysterious death after life. IMO, WE may to just have to disagree on this until more light can be spread on this subject.

peace and love…………………………………………………………..gene

Gene,

What I have written is well known theological thought that is known to be of at least the second Temple period. It is a teaching that Jesus used in his parable of the rich man and Lazarus. That in itself is enough evidence to establish it as a true teaching.

Other evidence such as the mention of Tartarus, where the souls of the wicked dwell, and Paradise, where the souls of the righteous die.

Sheol is even described in the Old Testament.

So please consider the evidence that is counter to your claims.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

tTKerwin…………….It is appointed the Judgment will stand and that does not take place in some “Tartartus” place of the “LIVING” dead. The very statement “LIVING DEAD” is an Oxymoron. Scripture say it is appointed unto man to die (that does not mean still living in another state) and after that the Judgment. Your remediation of God Judgment would Make God crucial and unjust because it put a man in eternal suffering state of existence fro ever. I mean simple logic would tell you that if all this takes place in some death experience that why would there even be a resurrection of the DEAD non would be needed right?. The scripture i quoted are clear and do not need to be “Changed to Meet so Trinitarian or Preexistences Translation to fit their TATARTUS of the LIVING DEAD experience. IMO. All Parables are give to confuse the ignorant and uncalled as Jesus said they were and that includes the Parable of Lazarus and the rich man. This only goes to show how much “MYSTERY RELIGION” Has infected the Minds of People. No Kerwin when you are dead you are TRULY DEAD without anymore Life at all Truly dead. “The Soul the Sins (IT) shall die”, not remain ALIVE in some unknown Place , I still say the Dead Know not anything in the day they die there THOUGHTS PARISH and that takes place When their body (DIES) and CORRUPTS (IN) the GRAVE or HELL> The only Hope a true Christian has in in the RESURRECTION from the DEAD Just as Jesus. Soul was RESURRECTED Back to Life when God Raised Him from His dead state, and as He said He truly was DEAD Kerwin No Matter what you or anyone else say, DEAD is EXACTLY DEAD. Why do you think Paul said “we wait for the resurrection that will witness the redemption of our BODIES. Why should their even be a Resurrection if what you are saying is true. IMO

peace and love ………………………………………………..gene

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 25 2011,03:44)
    gene

you may never see the light if you do not look for it,

it is not your way but Gods way that you look for light

Pierre

Terricca…………..What you really mean is see Pierre's rendition of light. IMO

kerwin
    Participant

Gene,

Scripture say it is appointed unto man to die (that does not mean still living in another state) and after that the Judgment.

That is part of what scripture speaks but not all for both death and Sheol will be cast in the fires of Gehenna which are also called the second death.

Revelation 20:14
    King James Version (KJV)

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

But others will also be destroyed in the second death that is after judgment.  So there is yet a final death from which one does not wake.

Revelation 21:8
    King James Version (KJV)

8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The first death is all called sleep in scripture for one can be awakened from sleep.  

John 11
    King James Version (KJV)

11These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
    12Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
    13Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
    14Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

The Hebrew words “qĕbuwrah” and “qeber” are the words for burial place.

The Hebrew word “shĕ'owl” is the name of the Hebrew Netherworld.

The Hebrew word “shachath” is the word for pit and can be applied to and pit including Sheol.

They four concepts of which two are congruent.

The very statement “LIVING DEAD” is an Oxymoron.

What has that to do with our discussion as the soul is the life of the body when one is a living soul and it is not the life of the body when one is not a living soul but never less it is still life.   Is a battery whose removal causes a flashlight to die dead because the flashlight, that’s life it is, is dead?   I doubt anyone who argued that would be deemed wise.  

Your remediation of God Judgment would Make God crucial and unjust because it put a man in eternal suffering state of existence from ever

That is your judgment and not God’s.  Are you without sin that you can throw stones at God?  I am not foolish enough to question the righteousness of God’s judgment even should he determine in his mercy that it is righteous for one to suffer eternally.  

It is appointed the Judgment will stand and that does not take place in some “Tartarus” place of the “LIVING” dead.

Tartarus is not Gehenna nor is Paradise of Sheol the Garden of Eden but both Tartarus and Paradise of Sheol are the place of souls whose body has perished.  Jesus teaches that such souls are alive even though the body is dead in answer to a test by a Sadducee.

I believe the torment of Tartarus is looking forward to one’s judgment of destruction while the pleasure is looking forward to judgment of inheriting the kingdom of heaven.  I cannot say that that belief is anything but speculation.

I mean simple logic would tell you that if all this takes place in some death experience that why would there even be a resurrection of the DEAD non would be needed right?

Maybe you should look into why souls whose body has died are called shades even if you did not learn the answer in part from your own reading of Ecclesiastes 9 since they are not the whole human.

The scripture I quoted are clear and do not need to be “Changed to Meet so Trinitarian or Preexistences Translation to fit their TATARTUS of the LIVING DEAD experience.

The concept of Sheol pre-exists Jesus’ conception and so both the flawed doctrines of Trinitarian and Preexistence.    

Parables are give to confuse the ignorant and uncalled as Jesus said they  were and that includes the Parable of Lazarus  and the rich man.

Next you will be claiming that Jesus teaches Preexistence and Trinitarianism to confuse those that lack knowledge or who are corrupt.   I will not believe you claim that Jesus teaches a false teaching.

No Kerwin when you are dead you are TRULY DEAD without anymore Life at all Truly dead. “

That is what Jesus disproved when he pointed out that Abraham and Isaac were alive despite their bodies being dead.

No Matter what you or anyone else say, DEAD is EXACTLY DEAD.

So you know better than Jesus who said dead is sleeping.

Why do you think Paul said “we wait for the resurrection that will witness the redemption of our BODIES. Why should their even be a Resurrection if what you are saying is true. IMO

He stated that the resurrection redeems the body and he did not write it redeemed the soul.

terraricca
    Participant

kerwin

the first dead is the sentence to die and not be able to prevented because being separated from God,

the second dead take place after Christ sacrifice ,were all are offered to be reconciled with God  and so would not have to die ,but to all who refuse to accept Christ sacrifice for their redemption(of the soul)(no redemption for the flesh is needed) will die the second dead this mean the permanent separation from God .
    this is for the soul ,resurrection is to become active as a being.

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 26 2011,09:55)
    kerwin

the first dead is the sentence to die and not be able to prevented because being separated from God,

the second dead take place after Christ sacrifice ,were all are offered to be reconciled with God  and so would not have to die ,but to all who refuse to accept Christ sacrifice for their redemption(of the soul)(no redemption for the flesh is needed) will die the second dead this mean the permanent separation from God .

Pierre

Pierre,

I know not what scripture Gene speaks of but I do know the body is redeemed from corruption by either being resurrected or changing.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 26 2011,23:52)

kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

I know not what scripture Gene speaks of but I do know the body is redeemed from corruption by either being resurrected or changing.

kerwin

a corrupted body(flesh) cannot be resurrected ,it will be a new body free from corruption that will be given to those who will be resurrected for eternal life,

or as you say changed to go live in heaven.(144k)

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (terraricca @ Sep. 26 2011,20:09)

Quote (kerwin @ Sep. 26 2011,23:52)

kerwin

Pierre

Pierre,

kerwin

a corrupted body(flesh) cannot be resurrected ,it will be a new body free from corruption that will be given to those who will be resurrected for eternal life,

or as you say changed to go live in heaven.(144k)

Pierre

Pierre,

Except for the detail of the 144,000, I am in agreement with your words.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 645 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account