The soul

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 645 total)
  • Author
    GeneBalthrop
    Participant

terricca……….I believe a mans soul is destroyed after he dies , “When a man dies his (thoughts) PARISH”, that is it he is no longer a loving soul and would remain that way for ever if GOD does not reconstruct his body and add spirit back into it . another interesting point that some many not have noticed is where it say “THE DEAD” are judged out of the books. It may will be if a person is judged not to have life he may be just left in the grave and never will become a living Soul again. I am not saying that is the case but it could be it is possible to just stay dead. IMO

Another thing I do not think GOD is a Soul i believe He is SPIRIT and lives vicariously (IN) and (THROUGH) his creation and therefor His creation is His Soul, so to speak. IMO

peace and love……………………………………gene

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ July 08 2011,12:53)
    terricca……….I believe a mans soul is destroyed after he dies , “When a man dies his (thoughts) PARISH”, that is it he is no longer a loving soul and would remain that way for ever if GOD does not reconstruct his body and add spirit back into it . another interesting point that some many not have noticed is where it say “THE DEAD” are judged out of the books. It may will be if a person is judged not to have life he may be just left in the grave and never will become a living Soul again. I am not saying that is the case but it could be it is possible to just stay dead. IMO

Another thing I do not think GOD is a Soul i believe He is SPIRIT and  lives vicariously (IN) and (THROUGH)  his creation and therefor His creation is His Soul, so to speak.  IMO

peace and love……………………………………gene

gene

is the soul not the spirit of men ?yes it is ,but can the spirit of men act with out a body ?no,,

this is why all what men thought and plan die with him in the flesh but the soul goes back to God to be judged from the book according of what it as done while the soul was in the flesh;

you see wen we are born this is wen God give us a soul this is the beginning,but we now built into it wen we die that is the end we can not add anything no more ,what as been done is done,and so the true judgement can be made

Pierre

david
    Participant

is the soul not the spirit of men ?

soul (greek: nephesh)
    spirit (greek: psyche)

Two different words.

When God breathed spirit into man, the man came to be a living soul.

The man WAS and BECAME a soul.  Just as people sometimes say “santa is a jolly old soul” they mean a jolly person.  Just as it says that on the ark there were 8 souls, it means 8 people.  
    (It does in fact get tricky, because in addition to meaning a person or animal, soul is often also used to refer to the life of the person or animal.)

“you see wen we are born this is wen God give us a soul”

But does the scripture say God GAVE adam a soul, or does it say Adam BECAME a soul.  There is no indication that God GAVE adam a soul.  What he breathed into him was spirit.

[[[I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS ALLOWED, I CAN CHANGE IT IF IT'S NOT, BUT I MADE DUMB MISTAKE ABOVE WHICH NO ONE ELSE CORRECTED:
    soul (HEB: nephesh)
    Spirit (Heb: ruah)]]]]

kerwin
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,07:45)

Two different words.

The man WAS and BECAME a soul.  Just as people sometimes say “santa is a jolly old soul” they mean a jolly person.  Just as it says that on the ark there were 8 souls, it means 8 people.  
    (It does in fact get tricky, because in addition to meaning a person or animal, soul is often also used to refer to the life of the person or animal.)

But does the scripture say God GAVE adam a soul, or does it say Adam BECAME a soul.  There is no indication that God GAVE adam a soul.  What he breathed into him was spirit.

Have you ever heard of synonyms?

Have you ever heard of different definitions for the same word?

My patience seems to be wearing thin tonight.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,19:45)

Two different words.

David

men needs a body (flesh) the spirit is the will God gives to men and this is his soul ,but the soul by it self can not act it needs a body to direct its will,

so animals have souls to ,but different,

Adam was not born baby so he recieved is soul as a adult,but empty,just like a baby,

what is breathed in Adam nostrils his oxygen that what nostrils are made for,

our spirit (soul) return to God who add given it to us ,and judgement is on what we have done with it ,the time we have is the time our flesh body lives from start to finish ,

Mt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mt 25:14 “Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them.
    Mt 25:15 To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey.
    Mt 25:16 The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more.
    Mt 25:17 So also, the one with the two talents gained two more.
    Mt 25:18 But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.

scriptures says that all is the property of God .

this means that we all receive our soul from God entrusted some are with more advantage than others but all are in debt to God,(what is written in the soul is what we have done no more no less)

Pierre

Pierre

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

As you can see soul (Nephesh) has a number of meanings so we would have to address which meaning fits it each time it is used.

1.soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
    a.that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
    b.living being
    c.living being (with life in the blood)
    d.the man himself, self, person or individual
    e.seat of the appetites
    f.seat of emotions and passions
    g.activity of mind
    1.dubious
    h.activity of the will
    1.dubious
    i.activity of the character
    1.dubious

In Genesis 2:7 is used to mean person.  It is used in a similar manner in Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, 30 and other places.  It is not the only way it is used.

You can also observe that the word “basar” translated to “flesh is used in the same ways in Genesis 6:12, 13, 17, and other places.

These usages are obviously when a whole is called by its part.

I see no real controversy here.

Note: Definitions for Nephesh are from Strong’s entry 5315.

david
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 08 2011,12:56)

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,07:45)

Two different words.

Have you ever heard of synonyms?

Have you ever heard of different definitions for the same word?

My patience seems to be wearing thin tonight.

Kerwin, they are not synonyms in any way.

If you look at all the scriptures that have “spirit” and all the scriptures that use the word “soul” you will see a distinct pattern and differences.

You say: “you see wen we are born this is wen God give us a soul”

Bible say: Adam came to BE a living soul.

To BE something is vastly different than being given something. Wouldn't you agree?
    It does get somewhat confusing and I do understand your confusion, because there are different meanings for “soul.” Man both is a soul (person) and he has a soul (life.)

Spirit is what animates that soul. Think of it like electricity that animates a fan. When the electricity is taken away, the fan stops working, it dies.

(In my last post, I wrote down the wrong Greek words for them, mixing up Hebrew and Greek. I should have checked them.)

david
    Participant

.soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
    a.that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
    b.living being
    e.seat of the appetites
    g.activity of mind
    1.dubious
    h.activity of the will
    1.dubious
    1.dubious

.soul, self, life, creature, person, living being,
    b.living being

I agree with these main ideas.

As I've said before, the 'soul' is the self, living being, person, creature, animal, being, man, etc OR, the “life” (as it says above) of that person, creature, being, etc.

I'm not sure where “activity of the mind” or “activity of the character” etc are shown in scripture for “soul.”

david
    Participant

“Adam was not born baby so HE RECEIVED IS SOUL as a adult,but empty,just like a baby,”–PIERRE

“you see wen we are born this is wen God GIVES US a soul”–KERWIN

Most people tend to say that we are given a soul for some reason, but do you ever say that we ARE a soul? Look at the definition of “soul” that Kerwin provided. The main definitions clearly show that the soul IS the person.

I believe there are about 950 occurrences of the word “soul” in the Bible.

Let's begin at the beginning.
    Gen 1:21,30; 2:7,19; 9:4,5,10,12,15,16; 12:13; 17:14; 19:17,19,20; 27:4,19,25,31; 32:30; 34:3,8; 35:18; 37:21; 42:21; 44:30; 49:6

GENESIS 1:21
    “And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind. And God got to see that [it was] good.”

GENESIS 1:30
    “And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it came to be so.”

GENESIS 2:7
    “And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.”

GENESIS 2:19
    “Now Jehovah God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul, that was its name.”

GENESIS 9:4-5
    “Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat. And, besides that, YOUR blood of YOUR souls shall I ask back. From the hand of every living creature shall I ask it back; and from the hand of man, from the hand of each one who is his brother, shall I ask back the soul of man.”

GENESIS 9:10
    “and with every living soul that is with YOU, among fowls, among beasts and among all living creatures of the earth with YOU, from all those going out of the ark to every living creature of the earth.”

GENESIS 9:12
    “And God added: “This is the sign of the covenant that I am giving between me and YOU and every living soul that is with YOU, for the generations to time indefinite.”

GENESIS 9:15-16
    “And I shall certainly remember my covenant which is between me and YOU and every living soul among all flesh; and no more will the waters become a deluge to bring all flesh to ruin. And the rainbow must occur in the cloud, and I shall certainly see it to remember the covenant to time indefinite between God and every living soul among all flesh that is upon the earth.””

GENESIS 12:13
    “Please say you are my sister, in order that it may go well with me on your account, and my soul will be certain to live due to you.””

GENESIS 17:14
    “And an uncircumcised male who will not get the flesh of his foreskin circumcised, even that soul must be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant.””

GENESIS 19:17
    “And it came about that, as soon as they had brought them forth to the outskirts, he began to say: “Escape for your soul! Do not look behind you and do not stand still in all the District! Escape to the mountainous region for fear you may be swept away!””

GENESIS 19:19-20
    “Please, now, your servant has found favor in your eyes so that you are magnifying your loving-kindness, which you have exercised with me to preserve my soul alive, but I—I am not able to escape to the mountainous region for fear calamity may keep close to me and I certainly die. Please, now, this city is nearby to flee there and it is a small thing. May I, please, escape there—is it not a small thing?—and my soul will live on.””

GENESIS 27:4
    “Then make me a tasty dish such as I am fond of and bring it to me and, ah, let me eat, in order that my soul may bless you before I die.””

GENESIS 27:19
    “And Jacob went on to say to his father: “I am Ésau your firstborn. I have done just as you have spoken to me. Raise yourself up, please. Sit down and eat some of my game, in order that your soul may bless me.””

GENESIS 27:25
    “Then he said: “Bring it near to me that I may eat some of the game of my son, to the end that my soul may bless you.” With that he brought it near to him and he began to eat, and he brought him wine and he began to drink.”

GENESIS 27:31
    “And he too went about making a tasty dish. Then he brought it to his father and said to his father: “Let my father get up and eat some of his son’s game, in order that your soul may bless me.””

GENESIS 32:30
    “Hence Jacob called the name of the place Pe·níel, because, to quote him, “I have seen God face to face and yet my soul was delivered.””

GENESIS 34:3
    “And his soul began clinging to Dínah the daughter of Jacob, and he fell in love with the young woman and kept speaking persuasively to the young woman.”

GENESIS 34:8
    “And Hámor proceeded to speak with them, saying: “As for Shéchem my son, his soul is attached to YOUR daughter. Give her, please, to him as a wife,”

GENESIS 35:18
    “And the result was that as her soul was going out (because she died) she called his name Ben-óni; but his father called him Benjamin.”

GENESIS 37:21
    “When Reúben heard this he tried to deliver him out of their hand. So he said: “Let us not strike his soul fatally.””

GENESIS 42:21
    “And they began to say one to the other: “Unquestionably we are guilty with regard to our brother, because we saw the distress of his soul when he implored compassion on our part, but we did not listen. That is why this distress has come upon us.””

GENESIS 44:30
    ““And now, as soon as I should come to your slave my father without the boy along with us, when that one’s soul is bound up with this one’s soul,”

GENESIS 49:6
    “Into their intimate group do not come, O my soul. With their congregation do not become united, O my disposition, because in their anger they killed men, and in their arbitrariness they hamstrung bulls.”

(((Looking at the Genesis…I have them all, but this underlining takes time….we see that “soul” usually means “the person themself” or the “life of the person” or an “animal.”))))

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ July 08 2011,16:51)
    To all,

As you can see soul (Nephesh) has a number of meanings so we would have to address which meaning fits it each time it is used.

1.soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
    b.living being
    e.seat of the appetites
    g.activity of mind
    1.dubious
    h.activity of the will
    1.dubious
    1.dubious

e only way it is used.

Kerwin………That is the problem when word have all kinds of meaning that is what causes confusion here and in all Christendom.

But the “simplest meaning” is what counts and a SOUL is exactly what Genesis says it is , A BODY WITH SPIRIT (IN) IT . This is a living SOUL, nothing more and nothing less.When we begin to add to this then confusion starts to come into the scripture IMO>

peace and love to you and yours Kerwin…………………..gene

kerwin
    Participant

To all,

As I wrote previously the word soul (Nephesh) has a number of meanings so we would have to address which meaning fits it each time it is used.

b.living being
    e.seat of the appetites
    g.activity of mind
    1.dubious
    h.activity of the will
    1.dubious
    1.dubious

I believe the word “Nephesh” primary meaning is the inner being of the man; and since the inner being is invisible it is like the wind.  Thus the soul is spirit in its physical nature.

The word translated to breath in Genesis is ”neshamah” which is also occasionally translated to “spirit” or “breath.  The word translated to breathed is “naphach”.

Definitions for ”neshamah” from Strong’s entry 5397 are as follows.

1.breath, spirit
    a.breath (of God)
    b.breath (of man)
    c.every breathing thing
    d.spirit (of man)

Given the soul is the spirit inner man but not the flesh outer man it is not the whole man.  Without the spirit inner man the flesh outer man is dead as the soul gives life the body.  God breathed the spirit inner man into the flesh and the whole became a living creation.

Note: I was unable to write the special symbol over the “e” in ”neshamah”.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 08 2011,12:45)

David……………Man was a SOUL before he had the Spirit added into Him but he was a dead non animated soul without Life and when God added Spirit into that Soul It became a “LIVING” Soul, as i read it , prior to that man simple was a “dead Soul” or body without life in him. IMO

peace and Love…………………………..gene

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 09 2011,01:46)
    “Adam was not born baby so HE RECEIVED IS SOUL as a adult,but empty,just like a baby,”–PIERRE

“you see wen we are born this is wen God GIVES US a soul”–KERWIN

Most people tend to say that we are given a soul for some reason, but do you ever say that we ARE a soul? Look at the definition of “soul” that Kerwin provided.  The main definitions clearly show that the soul IS the person.  

I believe there are about 950 occurrences of the word “soul” in the Bible.

Let's begin at the beginning.
    Gen 1:21,30; 2:7,19; 9:4,5,10,12,15,16; 12:13; 17:14; 19:17,19,20; 27:4,19,25,31; 32:30; 34:3,8; 35:18; 37:21; 42:21; 44:30; 49:6

GENESIS 1:21
    “And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind. And God got to see that [it was] good.”

GENESIS 1:30
    “And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it came to be so.”

GENESIS 2:7
    “And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.”

GENESIS 2:19
    “Now Jehovah God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul, that was its name.”

GENESIS 9:4-5
    “Only flesh with its soul—its blood—YOU must not eat. And, besides that, YOUR blood of YOUR souls shall I ask back. From the hand of every living creature shall I ask it back; and from the hand of man, from the hand of each one who is his brother, shall I ask back the soul of man.”

GENESIS 9:10
    “and with every living soul that is with YOU, among fowls, among beasts and among all living creatures of the earth with YOU, from all those going out of the ark to every living creature of the earth.”

GENESIS 9:12
    “And God added: “This is the sign of the covenant that I am giving between me and YOU and every living soul that is with YOU, for the generations to time indefinite.”

GENESIS 9:15-16
    “And I shall certainly remember my covenant which is between me and YOU and every living soul among all flesh; and no more will the waters become a deluge to bring all flesh to ruin. And the rainbow must occur in the cloud, and I shall certainly see it to remember the covenant to time indefinite between God and every living soul among all flesh that is upon the earth.””

GENESIS 12:13
    “Please say you are my sister, in order that it may go well with me on your account, and my soul will be certain to live due to you.””

GENESIS 17:14
    “And an uncircumcised male who will not get the flesh of his foreskin circumcised, even that soul must be cut off from his people. He has broken my covenant.””

GENESIS 19:17
    “And it came about that, as soon as they had brought them forth to the outskirts, he began to say: “Escape for your soul! Do not look behind you and do not stand still in all the District! Escape to the mountainous region for fear you may be swept away!””

GENESIS 19:19-20
    “Please, now, your servant has found favor in your eyes so that you are magnifying your loving-kindness, which you have exercised with me to preserve my soul alive, but I—I am not able to escape to the mountainous region for fear calamity may keep close to me and I certainly die. Please, now, this city is nearby to flee there and it is a small thing. May I, please, escape there—is it not a small thing?—and my soul will live on.””

GENESIS 27:4
    “Then make me a tasty dish such as I am fond of and bring it to me and, ah, let me eat, in order that my soul may bless you before I die.””

GENESIS 27:19
    “And Jacob went on to say to his father: “I am Ésau your firstborn. I have done just as you have spoken to me. Raise yourself up, please. Sit down and eat some of my game, in order that your soul may bless me.””

GENESIS 27:25
    “Then he said: “Bring it near to me that I may eat some of the game of my son, to the end that my soul may bless you.” With that he brought it near to him and he began to eat, and he brought him wine and he began to drink.”

GENESIS 27:31
    “And he too went about making a tasty dish. Then he brought it to his father and said to his father: “Let my father get up and eat some of his son’s game, in order that your soul may bless me.””

GENESIS 32:30
    “Hence Jacob called the name of the place Pe·níel, because, to quote him, “I have seen God face to face and yet my soul was delivered.””

GENESIS 34:3
    “And his soul began clinging to Dínah the daughter of Jacob, and he fell in love with the young woman and kept speaking persuasively to the young woman.”

GENESIS 34:8
    “And Hámor proceeded to speak with them, saying: “As for Shéchem my son, his soul is attached to YOUR daughter. Give her, please, to him as a wife,”

GENESIS 35:18
    “And the result was that as her soul was going out (because she died) she called his name Ben-óni; but his father called him Benjamin.”

GENESIS 37:21
    “When Reúben heard this he tried to deliver him out of their hand. So he said: “Let us not strike his soul fatally.””

GENESIS 42:21
    “And they began to say one to the other: “Unquestionably we are guilty with regard to our brother, because we saw the distress of his soul when he implored compassion on our part, but we did not listen. That is why this distress has come upon us.””

GENESIS 44:30
    ““And now, as soon as I should come to your slave my father without the boy along with us, when that one’s soul is bound up with this one’s soul,”

GENESIS 49:6
    “Into their intimate group do not come, O my soul. With their congregation do not become united, O my disposition, because in their anger they killed men, and in their arbitrariness they hamstrung bulls.”

(((Looking at the Genesis…I have them all, but this underlining takes time….we see that “soul” usually means “the person themself” or the “life of the person” or an “animal.”))))

David

now that you have shown me what is a living soul ,what is a dead soul?

see all living souls have a body,either fish,mammals,men,birds,insects,ect,,,

even God as a soul,and we are created to his image?

yes the soul =spirit =will power

can a body without will move ?

you say it is like electricity ,NO can electricity think ?NO

it is on or off ,the soul or spirit is not something on or off

it as many function because it is you in time it will have all are history written in it,without be able to erase it ,that is why we need Christ so that it can be overlooked and forgiven ,and latter God will erase all memory of the past so that we will not remember the time of our sins.

one day I have ask why god did not kill Cain for what he did ,but God says that if he dies Cain would be avenged seven times ,can you understand now ,Cain only start to live if by living his full live he could be latter be judged because at the end of your live all is done .

also Paul says that those who will have a heavenly call will receive a other body that fit in heaven ,because a soul can not be without a body of a sort I am not saying flesh

thin
    k about this ;the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

what you think it means with all your soul?

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

All

understand this ;Ps 23:3 he restores my soul.
    He guides me in paths of righteousness
    for his name’s sake.

Ps 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect,
    reviving the soul.
    The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple

Ps 24:4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
    who does not lift up his soul to an idol
    or swear by what is false.
    Ps 25:1 To you, O LORD, I lift up my soul;
    Ps 26:9 Do not take away my soul along with sinners,
    my life with bloodthirsty men,
    Ps 31:7 I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
    for you saw my affliction
    and knew the anguish of my soul.

Ps 31:9 Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
    my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
    my soul and my body with grief.
    Ps 34:2 My soul will boast in the LORD?
    let the afflicted hear and rejoice.

Ps 42:1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
    so my soul pants for you, O God.
    Ps 42:2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
    When can I go and meet with God?

if anyone can understand this he see that the body can not perform any of those things but the soul in the body can if he as that will to do it ,

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

all

Ps 42:5 Why are you downcast, O my soul?
    Why so disturbed within me(body)?
    Put your hope in God,
    for I will yet praise him,
    my Savior and
    Ps 42:6 my God.

Ps 63:1 O God, you are my God,
    earnestly I seek you;
    my soul thirsts for you,
    my body longs for you,
    in a dry and weary land
    where there is no water.

Ps 88:3 For my soul is full of trouble
    and my life draws near the grave.
    Ps 94:19 When anxiety was great within me,
    your consolation brought joy to my soul

Isa 53:11 After the suffering of his soul,
    he will see the lightof life and be satisfied;
    by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
    and he will bear their iniquities.

Isa 55:3 Give ear and come to me;
    hear me, that your soul may live.

Eze 18:4 For every living soul belongs to me,

Eze 18:20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. DOES EZE TALK S ABOUT THE BODY ? no ALL DIE GOOD AND BAD

Mt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul

Pierre

david
    Participant

But the “simplest meaning” is what counts and a SOUL is exactly what Genesis says it is , A BODY WITH SPIRIT (IN) IT . This is a living SOUL, nothing more and nothing less.When we begin to add to this then confusion starts to come into the scripture IMO>

I agree with Gene that the many definitions are what cause people confusion and they want to simplify things by saying spirit and soul are the same.
    To Gene's definiton of soul being a body, I would like to add: a person or animal (that is what a body with spirit is) OR the life of the person or animal.

david
    Participant

you say it is like electricity ,NO can electricity think ?NO

Pierre, I was refering to the spirit, not soul. And I said that we can understand it like electricity in that it (spirit) is what powers or energizes or motivates us or keeps us alive. When the spirit is taken away, as the scripture says, we die. Without spirit, we shut down, like a fan. That was my point.

It's weird that you ask if electricity can think, as though “spirit” can think.

“His spirit goes out, he goes back to the ground, in that day his thoughts do perish.” (Psalms, I think.)

When a person dies, his spirit returns to the true God, but it's not floating through the air. As the giver of life, our spirit returns back to him in the same way a property returns back to the owner when it is sold. Nothing actually physically moves. But anyway, my point was that when a person dies, his thoughts (thinking) perishes or stops. Yet, you ask: “can electricity think” as if to imply that your spirit thinks? Yet, when you die, we are told that your thoughts perish.

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (david @ July 10 2011,01:00)

I agree with Gene that the many definitions are what cause people confusion and they want to simplify things by saying spirit and soul are the same.
    To Gene's definiton of soul being a body, I would like to add: a person or animal (that is what a body with spirit is) OR the life of the person or animal.

david

Ge 2:7 the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.

this is LXX version
    there is no word like soul
    and because you agree with Gene the rest are in confusion ?

Pierre

terraricca
    Participant

David

When the spirit is taken away, as the scripture says, we die. Without spirit, we shut down,

this is not true ;your flesh will die then your spirit(soul) return to God who ad given it ,

Mt 27:50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.

Mk 15:37 With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.

Lk 23:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice,“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Jn 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit

Jn 11:11 After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up.”
    Jn 11:14 So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead,
    Jn 11:17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days.
    Jn 11:43 When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out!”

witch did he call out the body it was dead ,NO, he was already smelling,but Christ says he was sleeping ,was the body sleeping ?NO ,or the spirit (soul)and was called back into the body,similar to the future resurrection of us all.I think this is more likely

Pierre

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Terricca……Tell us why Jesus said GOD could “DESTROY” both body and soul (IN) the GRAVE Then. The word Hell there means GRAVE came from the English word Helios (meaning to put in the ground. We simply can not exist without a body for our spirits to exist (IN)> God by simply leaving our bodies in the Grave could destory us, just that simple nothing confusing or complicated about it. The soul the sins Shall Parish, and when a man dies his thoughts “PARISH” and when you Through “PARISH” so do YOU. Man is in a state of “PARISH” when he dies, and will remain that way for ever unless the Lord raises him by creating a new body and adding spirit back into it. Just that simple. Pierre it only get confusing when you start adding all kinds of suppositions to what scripture plainly is saying. There is no existence after a Man's body dies he is gone for ever unless God alone reconstructs a new body and puts spirit back into it.

peace and love……………………………………………….gene

Viewing 20 posts - 381 through 400 (of 645 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account