The Son of God

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 840 total)
  • Author
    NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    I agree it is not possible.
    God has no equal as scripture tells us.
    But as the Pharaoh gave all authority to Joseph
    So God dispensed such universal rights to His faithful Son.

david
    Participant

No. I am siding with John and his testimony. John writes…

But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. John 5:17, 18

It was the unbelieving Jews who reasoned that Jesus was attempting to make himself equal with God by claiming God as his Father. While properly referring to God as his Father, Jesus never claimed equality with God. He straightforwardly answered the Jews: “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing.” (John 5:19, RS; see also John 14:28; John 10:36.)

By this, Jesus showed the Jews that he was not equal to God and therefore could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine someone equal to Almighty God saying that he could “do nothing by himself”? (Compare Daniel 4:34, 35.)

Does that make any sense at all? Nope!

The context of both John 5:18 shows that Jesus defended himself against false charges from Jews who, like the Trinitarians, were drawing wrong conclusions!

As God’s spokesman, he could not act on his own initiative. I ask again: Can we imagine the almighty God of the universe saying that he could do nothing of his own initiative?

Unless you answer “Yes” we can conclude that the Jews made a charge, and Jesus refuted it.

SECONDLY, it was those unbelieving Jews, too, who claimed that Jesus broke the Sabbath, but they were wrong also about that. Jesus kept the Law perfectly, and he declared: “It is lawful to do good on the sabbath.”—Matt. 12:10-12, RS.

You're not suggesting it was John who believed Jesus broke the Sabbath, are you?
    John was stating what the unbelieving Jews believed. He was not stating what he knew to be true.

“The sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath.” (Mark 2:27) Accordingly, Jesus Christ’s performing healings on the sabbath was in full harmony with the merciful spirit of the law.
    It was the Pharisees’ unreasonable insistence on the letter of the law according to their traditional interpretation that led to a merciless attitude toward this law.—Matt. 23:23.

david
    Participant

These are Johns own words inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Right, and they show us what the unbelieving Jews falsely believed.

david
    Participant

david, I personally challenge you to find one scripture where anyone other that Yeshua is called “The Son of God”.

I challenge you to find anywhere on this forum where I have denied that Jesus is the unique Son of God.
    Adam was unique, not being born from a woman. But being unique does not equal being God almighty

david
    Participant

david, I personally challenge you to find one scripture where anyone other that Yeshua is called “The Son of God”.

Let's check:

LUKE 1:32
    “This one will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.” (How did the angel announcing his birth refer to him? Compare Ps 83:18, where it says that Jehovah alone is the Most High.)
    LUKE 1:34
    “For that reason also what is born will be called holy, God’s Son.”

MATTHEW 3:17
    “Look! Also, there was a voice from the heavens that said: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.”” (Who does Jehovah God’s testimony tell us Jesus is?)

JOHN 1:34
    “And I have seen [it], and I have borne witness that this one is the Son of God.””
    (What did John the Baptist bear witness to regarding Jesus?)

JOHN 1:49
    “Nathańael answered him: “Rabbi, you are the Son of God, you are King of Israel.”” (How did Nathanael identify Jesus?)

MATTHEW 16:16
    “In answer Simon Peter said: “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.””
    (Jesus himself asked who they thought he was. With this response of Peter, Jesus pronounced him happy, because his Father had revealed this to him.)

JOHN 11:27
    “She [Martha] said to him: “Yes, Lord; I have believed that you are the Christ the Son of God.”” (What did Martha believe about Jesus?)

JOHN 20:31
    “But these have been written down that YOU may believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God.” (Why did John write what he did? What did he want us to believe?)

JOHN 1:34
    “I have borne witness that this one is the Son of God.” (Did John bear witness that Jesus was God Almighty, or God’s Son?)

1 JOHN 4:15
    “Whoever makes the confession that Jesus Christ is the Son of God . . .” (According to John, if we are to remain in union with God, what must confess?)

1 JOHN 5:5
    “Who is the one that conquers the world but he who has faith that Jesus is the Son of God?” (According to John, what must we have faith in–that Jesus is God, or the “Son of” God?)
    (It seems that John bore witness that Jesus was the “Son of” God, that he wrote what he did so that we would believe that Jesus was the “Son of” God, telling us to have faith that Jesus is the “Son of” God, and to confess that Jesus is the “Son of” God.)

ACTS 9:20
    “he [Peter] began to preach Jesus, that this One is the Son of God.” (What did the apostle Peter preach about Jesus?)

MARK 1:24
    “What have we to do with you, Jesus you Nazarené? Did you come to destroy us? I know exactly who you are, the Holy One of God.” (The demons certainly knew “exactly” who Jesus was: the Holy One “of” God, and hence, not God Almighty himself.)
    MATTHEW 8:29
    “What have we to do with you, Son of God?”
    MARK 3:11
    “Even the unclean spirits, whenever they would behold him, would prostrate themselves before him and cry out, saying: “You are the Son of God.”“
    LUKE 4:41
    “Demons also would come out of many, crying out and saying: “You are the Son of God.”

JOHN 5:18
    “On this account, indeed, the Jews began seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath but he was also CALLING GOD HIS OWN FATHER, making himself equal to God.”
    (He was not saying that he was equal to God, but rather “he was also calling God his own Father,” and in the minds of the Jews, this was tantamount to making himself equal with God.)
    MATTHEW 26:59-63
    “So the high priest said to him: “By the living God I put you under oath to tell us whether you are the Christ the Son of God!”“ (What did the chief priest charge Jesus as saying he was? Surely if there was indication that he was claiming to be God or those around him believed this, then that accusation would have been made. These were the ones who were accusing them of anything they could, making stuff up, bringing in false witnesses. Surely if he was claiming to be God himself, they would have capitalized on this.)
    LUKE 22:70
    “Are you, therefore, the Son of God?”
    MATTHEW 27:43
    “let Him [God] now rescue him if He wants him, for he said, ‘I am God’s Son.’”
    JOHN 19:7
    “The Jews answered him: “We have a law, and according to the law he ought to die, because he made himself God’s son.”” (What did the Jews tell Pilate Jesus had made himself? If Jesus was claiming to be God, surely they who wanted him done away with would have charged him with this.)
    MARK 14:61,62
    “Again the high priest began to question him and said to him: “Are you the Christ the Son of the Blessed One?” Then Jesus said: “I am.” (So they were charging him with saying he was the “Son of” the God, and Jesus himself said: “I am.”)

JOHN 10:36
    “do YOU say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son?” (Who did Jesus himself say he was?)

MATTHEW 14:33
    “Then those in the boat did obeisance to him, saying: “You are really God’s Son.””
    (Miraculously walking on water and calming the winds moved his disciples to what conclusion?)

MATTHEW 27:40
    “If you are a son of God, come down off the torture stake!” (How did those mocking him while he was dying refer to him?)

MATTHEW 27:54
    “when they saw the earthquake and the things happening, grew very much afraid, saying: “Certainly this was God’s Son.”“ (What conclusion did the army officer there at Jesus death reach?)
    MARK 15:39
    “Now, when the army officer that was standing by with him in view saw he had expired under these circumstances, he said: “Certainly this man was God’s Son.””

ROMANS 1:4
    “but who with power was declared God’s Son.” (What was Jesus declared to be?)

So we have an angel, demons, Jehovah, Jesus, John the Baptist, Nathanael, Peter, Martha, John, Paul, mockers of Jesus, an army officer who saw Jesus die, the Jews, all making very plain what they believed Jesus to be, the “Son of” God, or “God’s Son.”

You're right, these all refer to Jesus. And they all believed he was God's Son.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi WJ,
    Clearly the Jews were expecting one called, the Christ, who was the Son of God.
    MARK 14:61,62
    “Again the high priest began to question him and said to him: “Are you the Christ the Son of the Blessed One?” Then Jesus said: “I am.”

Then they made a remarkable deduction.

John 5:18
    Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

I suspect they drew this from from Ps 2 since they were expecting an anointed one who was a son and a political messiah.

Ps2
    1Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing?

2The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

3Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.

4He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the LORD shall have them in derision.

5Then shall he speak unto them in his wrath, and vex them in his sore displeasure.

6Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

9Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter's vessel.

10Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth.

11Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

12Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Samuel
    Participant

Jesus is the Son of Man,
    the Son of GOD,
    The only begotten,
    The way the truth and the light,
    The Son of David,
    The Son of Joesph,

No one really knows how GOD does what he does.

We could just as easily argue how GOD parted the sea…we could say he did it with his finger, or he did it with his breath, or he did it with his whole hand.

The fact of the matter is that he did it.

Now, on the fact that Jesus was GOD.   I still do not know for sure if that is the case.  There is scripture that states things like:

Isaiah 9:6    
    For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matthew 1:23    
    Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Mark 12:29    
    And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments [is], Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

John 8:58    
    Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Ephesians 4:5    
    One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

1 Cor 8:6  
    But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 3:16    
    And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 1

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2The same was in the beginning with God.

3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

There are a couple others I believe, as well.

1 Cor 8:6  
    But to us [there is but] one God, the Father, of whom [are] all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom [are] all things, and we by him.

John 8:58    
    Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I would like to however point out a couple things in this scripture though.  We see here that “By whom are all things”
    So this clearly tells us that By Jesus are all things.

We also see that Before Abraham Jesus was.

We also see that “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” Most will agree that the Word refers to Jesus.

So this alone should be enough to prove to anyone that Jesus was before his birth into the flesh.

Now, there are other scriptures that say this:

Mark 13:32  
    But of that day and [that] hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Matthew 22
    44 The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

John 8:42  
    Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Matthew 3
    15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

17And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Hebrews 1:13    
    But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?

Acts 2:34    
    For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Acts 7
    55But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,

56And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.  

It is in these we see that we see Jesus on the right hand of GOD.
    We see Jesus as the Lord being told by the LORD that he would make his enemies his footstool.
    We have Jesus himself saying that he did not come of his own accord…but that he was sent…by whom? …GOD!
    We have the spirit of the Holy Ghost displayed, the Voice of GOD coming from the heavens, and Jesus in the water on the ground.
    We have Jesus which is the SON not in knowledge of something that only the Father which is GOD has knowledge of.

However if Jesus was indeed GOD…that would certainly explain his pre-existence very well.  Of course we are talking about GOD here…he don't need to explain himself to anyone.  Also, there are a host of other ways that GOD could do all of these things.

I recently had a pastor tell me that when we got to heaven that we would not see a Jesus standing on the right hand of the Thrown.   There would only be Jesus…so what exactly did Stephen see?  He said he saw the Glory of GOD, and the Son of Man (Jesus) standing on the right hand of GOD.   That is what he said…better yet…that is what is written!

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi Samuel,
    Good stuff.
    However Mt22
    41While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,

42Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

43He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

So this speaks of Jesus being the Lord of David, as well as the son of David.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Aug. 24 2008,20:20)
    Hi Samuel,
    Good stuff.
    However Mt22
    41While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,

42Saying, What think ye of Christ? whose son is he? They say unto him, The son of David.

43He saith unto them, How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,

44The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand, till I make thine enemies thy footstool?

45If David then call him Lord, how is he his son?

So this speaks of Jesus being the Lord of David, as well as the son of David.

Hi Samuel,
    But, as you show, aligned with Ps 2 it surely has a second prophetic application to Jesus and God.

Ps2
    6Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

7I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

8Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Samuel
    Participant

Yes, It sure does make me wonder if people that have studied the bible and have gained so much knowledge in what they consider to be knowledge …have they really received the full revelation of what has actually been done? And, as to how it was done?

This could have very well been revealed in part to some…yes.

However, I just feel that I'm not there yet. I'm not sure if it is that I want to know everything, but I would like to have a better understanding in Jesus Name.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick……it also says the all things (excludes GOD) Right?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    The Son has no authority given to him over God [1cor15]
    Neither did Joseph have over the pharoah.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…… RIGHT,just wanting to make sure your keeping things straight. And when he gives back all that authority, the Father will have (ALL) authority in His own hands and be all in all, and Jesus will be made subject to Him as everything else will also.ONE WILL IN ALL AND THROUGH ALL.

peace to you ……….gene

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi GB,
    Yes in context, of the survivors, the residue of the crucible, God will be all in all.

gollamudi
    Participant

Quote (Gene Balthrop @ Aug. 25 2008,11:05)
    Nick…… RIGHT,just wanting to make sure your keeping things straight. And when he gives back all that authority, the Father will have (ALL) authority in His own hands and be all in all, and Jesus will be made subject to Him as everything else will also.ONE WILL IN ALL AND THROUGH ALL.

peace to you ……….gene

Amen to that post brother Gene.

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Aug. 23 2008,08:22)
    No. I am siding with John and his testimony. John writes…
    But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God. John 5:17, 18

Hi david

Quote (david @ Aug. 23 2008,17:30)

It was the unbelieving Jews who reasoned that Jesus was attempting to make himself equal with God by claiming God as his Father.

OK, so now you believe that when they accused him of claiming to be “The Son of God” that to the Jew that meant he was claiming equality with God? Good!

While properly referring to God as his Father, Jesus never claimed equality with God.

Really?  It depends on what you mean by “Equality”. If referring to the intrinsic nature of Yeshua, then yes he claimed equality. Just as you claim equality with your Father as being 100% equally human regardless of your status, or position of authority in the world.

Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also. John 8:19

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:7-9

Here we clearly see Yeshua equating knowing him, and seeing him to knowing and seeing God. Wow, no wonder the Jew wanted to crucify him, and it is statements like these and others that also lend themselves to Yeshua claiming to being equal to the Father in nature.

Of course Yeshua didn’t want to leave Thomas with the thought that he was claiming to be Father, so Yeshua then clarifies his position with the Father.

Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. John 14:10

Here Yeshua states the words he spoke he spoke not of himself, and the works were the Father in him doing them. So the Arians get all excited about this statement by Yeshua as if it negates what he just said to Thomas and what he said to the Jews in the following verses already discussed.

5:16 Now because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began persecuting him. 5:17 So he told them, “My Father is working until now, and I too am working. John 5:16, 17 NET

David, the NET was translated by 25 scholars who had access to over 60,000 translator’s notes. This is what the say about this verse, emphasis mine.

“My Father is working until now, and I too am working.” What is the significance of Jesus’ claim? A preliminary understanding can be obtained from John 5:18, noting the Jewish authorities’ response and the author’s comment. They sought to kill Jesus, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was also calling God his own Father, thus making himself equal with God. This must be seen in the context of the relation of God to the Sabbath rest. In the commandment (Exod 20:11) it is explained that “In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth…and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.” Philo, based on the LXX translation of Exod 20:11, denied outright that God had ever ceased his creative activity. And when Rabban Gamaliel II, R. Joshua, R. Eleazar ben Azariah, and R. Akiba were in Rome, ca. a.d. 95, they gave as a rebuttal to sectarian arguments evidence that God might do as he willed in the world without breaking the Sabbath because the entire world was his private residence. So even the rabbis realized that God did not really cease to work on the Sabbath: Divine providence remained active on the Sabbath, otherwise, all nature and life would cease to exist. As regards men, divine activity was visible in two ways: Men were born and men died on the Sabbath. Since only God could give life and only God could deal with the fate of the dead in judgment, this meant God was active on the Sabbath. This seems to be the background for Jesus’ words in 5:17. He justified his work of healing on the Sabbath by reminding the Jewish authorities that they admitted God worked on the Sabbath. This explains the violence of the reaction. The Sabbath privilege was peculiar to God, and no one was equal to God. In claiming the right to work even as his Father worked, Jesus was claiming a divine prerogative. He was literally making himself equal to God, as 5:18 goes on to state explicitly for the benefit of the reader who might not have made the connection.
    Source.

Then to make sure they understand his claim, Yeshua continues…

So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise. John 5:19

The NET commentates on this verse…

What works does the Son do likewise? The same that the Father does – and the same that the rabbis recognized as legitimate works of God on the Sabbath (see note on working in v. 17). (1) Jesus grants life (just as the Father grants life) on the Sabbath. But as the Father gives physical life on the Sabbath, so the Son grants spiritual life (John 5:21; note the “greater things” mentioned in v. 20). (2) Jesus judges (determines the destiny of people) on the Sabbath, just as the Father judges those who die on the Sabbath, because the Father has granted authority to the Son to judge (John 5:22-23). But this is not all. Not only has this power been granted to Jesus in the present; it will be his in the future as well. In v. 28 there is a reference not to spiritually dead (only) but also physically dead. At their resurrection they respond to the Son as well.
    Source.

So you see David, I am not alone in my interpretation of these words. We can split hairs all day long about John’s comment “but he was also calling God his own Father, thus making himself equal with God”. Were they John's own words and belief, or was he simply stating what the Jews believed? I think it is both, and the evidence is found in the context and John’s use of the word “theos” in referring to Yeshua, the Word that was with God and was God in John 1:1, and his witness of Thomas confession without rebuke or correction by Yeshua or himself in John 20:28.  

He straightforwardly answered the Jews: “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing.” (John 5:19, RS; see also John 14:28; John 10:36.)

By this, Jesus showed the Jews that he was not equal to God and therefore could not act on his own initiative. Can we imagine someone equal to Almighty God saying that he could “do nothing by himself”? (Compare Daniel 4:34, 35.)

Does that make any sense at all?  Nope!

The context of both John 5:18 shows that Jesus defended himself against false charges from Jews who, like the Trinitarians, were drawing wrong conclusions!

This may shock you david, but the Father has never done anything without Yeshua. Does that mean that the Father is not God? ???

All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. John 1:3, Col 1:16

• First, everything that was made was made by and through Yeshua and for him. In fact by Yeshua all things consist. Col 1:17

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. Matt 11:27, Luke 10:22,

Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father. John 6:46

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

• Second, here we see that “no man” has seen or can know the Father apart from Yeshua. So david your logic is faulty because just as Yeshua chose not to do anything on his own initiative, so does the Father choose to not do anything apart from Yeshua! Does that mean the Father is not God?

David, if you believe that Yeshua existed before his incarnation and that the Father made all things through a “smaller god” or a lessor being than himself, then how do you explain scriptures that say that God “by himself”, “alone” and with “none other” created all things.

Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I [am] the LORD that maketh all [things]; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; Isa 44:24

Even your own translation, the NWT reads…

This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser and the Former of you from the belly: “I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens by myself, laying out the earth. Who was with me? Isa 44:24 NWT

How do you explain this contradiction?

As God’s spokesman, he could not act on his own initiative. I ask again: Can we imagine the almighty God of the universe saying that he could do nothing of his own initiative?

Obviously you cannot imagine that the Father doesn’t do anything without Yeshua.

It is the false conclusions of the Arians like the Jews that cannot fathom that Yeshua is equal to the Father in everyway except position. No one on this board has given me “one” attribute of God that the Father has that Yeshua doesn't

It is the false conclusions of the Arians that Yeshua is not “the image” of the invisible God, for in making him less than God they have created a false image of the invisible God.

It is the false conclusions of the Arians that Yeshua having “ALL” authority and power in heaven and earth and sitting at the right hand of the Father (at his side not in his hand), not beneath him nor above him, that somehow this equates to him being less than God, and in so doing diminishes his position of having “all power and authority” in heaven and in earth.

It is the false conclusions of the Arians that Yeshua is not “the exact representation of his  being”, thereby diminishing his nature to being less than God in which it would be impossible for him to be “all in all”, Col 3:11, and to sustain all things by his (Yeshua’s) powerful word. Heb 1:3

It is the false conclusions of the Arians that somehow Yeshua is to be given less honor than the Father when the Father gives him honor as God and commands the angels to worship him, and Yeshua’s own words say…

That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him. John 5:23

Notice david, Yeshua’s words are in the same context where the Jews were accusing him of claiming to be equal to God.

Paul also gives a glimpse of the mind of Yeshua before he came in the flesh.

who though he existed in the form of God11 did not regard equality with God as something to be grasped, 2:7 but emptied himself by taking on the form of a slave,12 by looking like other men,13 and by sharing in human nature.14 2:8 He humbled himself, Phil 2:6-8 NET

Again the NET explains, emphasis mine…

11sn The Greek term translated form indicates a correspondence with reality. Thus the meaning of this phrase is that Christ was truly God.

12tn See the note on the word “slaves” in 1:1. 13tn Grk “by coming in the likeness of people.”

sn The expression the likeness of men is similar to Paul’s wording in Rom 8:3 (“in the likeness of sinful flesh”). The same word “likeness” is used in both passages. It implies that there is a form that does not necessarily correspond to reality. In Rom 8:3, the meaning is that Christ looked like sinful humanity. Here the meaning is similar: Jesus looked like other men (note anqrwpoi), but was in fact different from them in that he did not have a sin nature.

14tn Grk “and by being found in form as a man.” The versification of vv. 7 and 8 (so also NRSV) is according to the versification in the NA27 and UBS4 editions of the Greek text. Some translations, however, break the verses in front of this phrase (NKJV, NASB, NIV, NLT). The same material has been translated in each case; the only difference is the versification of that material.

sn By sharing in human nature. This last line of v. 7 (line d) stands in tension with the previous line, line c (“by looking like other men”). Both lines have a word indicating form or likeness. Line c, as noted above, implies that Christ only appeared to be like other people. Line d, however, uses a different term that implies a correspondence between form and reality. Further, line c uses the plural “men” while line d uses the singular “man.” The theological point being made is that Christ looked just like other men, but he was not like other men (in that he was not sinful), though he was fully human. Source

Unless you answer “Yes” we can conclude that the Jews made a charge, and Jesus refuted it.

Maybe you can conclude that, but I do not see a single scripture where Yeshua or John refuted their claim that for Yeshua to claim that he was “The Son of God” is being equal to God. In fact context shows support for the
    ir claim as well as statements like this…

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was fully God. 1:2 The Word was with God in the beginning. 1:3 All things were created by him, and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created.John 1:1-3 NET

No one has ever seen God. The only one, himself God, who is in closest fellowship with the Father, has made God known. John 1:18

So Jesus answered them, “I tell you the solemn truth, the Son can do nothing on his own initiative, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, the Son does likewise. John 5:19

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:7-9

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body. John 2:19-21

To them belong the patriarchs, and from them, by human descent, came the Christ, who is God over all, blessed forever!14 Amen. Rom 9:5 NET

who though he existed in the form of God did not regard equality with God as something to be grasped,  but emptied himself by taking on the form of a slave, by looking like other men, and by sharing in human nature. He humbled himself, Phil 2:6-8 NET

From Simeon Peter, a slave and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ, have been granted a faith just as precious as ours. 2 Peter 1:1

Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Titus 2:13

And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us insight to know him who is true, and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This one is the true God and eternal life. 1 John 5:20 NET

Just to mention a few.

SECONDLY, it was those unbelieving Jews, too, who claimed that Jesus broke the Sabbath, but they were wrong also about that. Jesus kept the Law perfectly, and he declared: “It is lawful to do good on the sabbath.”—Matt. 12:10-12, RS.

You're not suggesting it was John who believed Jesus broke the Sabbath, are you?
    John was stating what the unbelieving Jews believed.  He was not stating what he knew to be true.

“The sabbath came into existence for the sake of man, and not man for the sake of the sabbath.” (Mark 2:27) Accordingly, Jesus Christ’s performing healings on the sabbath was in full harmony with the merciful spirit of the law.
    It was the Pharisees’ unreasonable insistence on the letter of the law according to their traditional interpretation that led to a merciless attitude toward this law.—Matt. 23:23.

See above. Yeshua is Lord of the Sabbath. This also infuriated the unbelievers.

In closing david, I have a couple of questions for you?

• 1. Can you give me one attribute of God that Yeshua does not have?
  • 2. What does it mean to you to honour Yeshua “even as” you honour the Father?
  • 3. Can you explain how you can have a true image of God if you see Yeshua who is the exact image of the invisible God as less than God?

WJ

NickHassan
Participant

HI WJ,
One attribute?
God is not the Son of God

NickHassan
Participant

Hi WJ,
Do you think Jesus had God's attributes because he was that God?
He did not say that but revealed they were of God in him.

NickHassan
Participant

Hi WJ,
A submitted vessel for God to work through and use to do His works

Jn5
17But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

18Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

19Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

20For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.

NickHassan
Participant

Hi WJ,
You say
“It is the false conclusions of the Arians that Yeshua is not “the image” of the invisible God, for in making him less than God they have created a false image of the invisible God.”

Of course no image is equal to the original that is projected onto it. The image is utterly dependant on the original and cannot exist without that original.

Was Jesus anointed by one member of your trinity with another?[Acts 10.38]
Did Jesus need that anointing by God with power or was a being that was powerful in his own right?

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 840 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account