The Half Truth and the Reductive Fallacy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    KangarooJack
    Participant

What is the Half Truth?

The Half-Truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may utilize some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-truth

The statement that God will subjugate Christ's enemies is totally true but is only a part of the whole truth.

The WHOLE truth is that Christ will also subjugate His enemies.

20 For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is ABLE even to subdue all things to Himself. Philippians 3:21

The word “able” in bold caps is the Greek “dunamai” which means “intrinsic and absolute power” (Moulton's Greek Analytical Lexicon, page 107). Paul is saying that Christ will subjugate His enemies by the “intrinsic” and “absolute” power that resides in Himself.

Please don't ever forget that a half truth is a lie. One who does not tell the whole truth in a court of law is a perjuror.

In logic the half truth is very similar to The Reductive Fallacy

What is The Reductive Fallacy?

This occurs when humans suppose that a description on one level excludes or invalidates a description on another level.

You commit the reductive fallacy when you stop with a one level description when there are many levels to be described. You are mistaken when you “reduce” a complex entity to only one of its many aspects. Don't You Believe It! Poking holes in faulty logic, A. J. Hoover, p. 25-26

Mikeboll stops with the one level. Mike assumes that the Father's role in the subjugation of Christ's enemies must exclude that Christ will also do it. Mike commits the Reductive Fallacy because his theology requires him to. He ignores Paul's statement in Philippians 3:21 above and even in 2 Timothy 1:10:

10…but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel

In 1 Corinthians 15 Paul said that death is the last enemy to be subjugated to Christ. Yet in 1 Timothy he says that “Christ Jesus has destroyed death.”

KJ

mikeboll64
    Blocked

I would like to address Jack's signature line.

Exodus 3
    2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush.

4 God called to him from within the bush, “Moses! Moses!”

6  At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.

7 The LORD said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt.

Jack, WHO was speaking to Moses from the flaming bush?   Jehovah?  Or the angel OF Jehovah? Was it God in the bush? Or the angel OF God?

terraricca
    Participant

KJ

What is the Half Truth?

. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?
    Ge 3:4 “You will not surely die,” the serpent said to the woman.
    Ge 3:5 “For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

this is the first introduction to evil

Pierre

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Kangaroo Jack @ Nov. 15 2011,14:13)
    Mike assumes that the Father's role in the subjugation of Christ's enemies must exclude that Christ will also do it.

I believe the way it goes is that the Father will place the enemies of Jesus at his feet so that Jesus can subdue them.

Am I wrong?

Ed J
    Participant

Quote (Kangaroo Jack @ Nov. 16 2011,07:13)
    What is the Half Truth?

The Half-Truth is a deceptive statement that includes some element of truth. The statement might be partly true, the statement may be totally true but only part of the whole truth, or it may utilize some deceptive element, such as improper punctuation, or double meaning, especially if the intent is to deceive, evade, blame or misrepresent the truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-truth

KJ

Hi Jack,

“God is Love”   …is this a half truth; Jack?

This statement is totally true but only part of the whole truth.
    Do you believe in the definition ('half truth') that you posted; yes or no?

God bless
    Ed J (Joshua 22:34)
    http://www.holycitybiblecode.org

Ed J
    Participant

Please don't ever forget that a half truth is a lie.

Hi Jack,

According to who?

God bless

Ed J
    Participant

What is The Reductive Fallacy?

This occurs when humans suppose that a description on one level excludes or invalidates a description on another level.

KJ

Hi Jack,

This is true, while the other is not.
    Does that make your opening post 'a half truth'?

God bless

Proclaimer
    Participant

Half truth (lie): Jesus is God Almighty.
    Full truth: Jesus is the son of God the Almighty.

Removing 'the son of' turns the truth into the lie. A truth that many are trying to dispel. But the gates of hell cannot prevail against this truth.

Peter said, “You are the Christ and the son of the living God”.
    Jesus said, “Upon this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it”.

Lightenup
    Participant

Removing 'the son of' turns the truth into the lie. A truth that many are trying to dispel. But the gates of hell cannot prevail against this truth.

Did Thomas lie when He called Jesus His Lord and His God??
    Did Jesus lie when He affirmed Thomas for calling Him that??

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Did Paul lie when he called Satan a god?  Did he lie when he said there are many gods in heaven and on earth?  Did Jehovah lie when He called Satan a god?  Did Jesus lie when he said our God was also his God?  Did he lie when he repeatedly called Jehovah “my God”?

Kathi, you have spoken only half a truth here.  You are aware of how the words “elohim” and “theos” were used in Biblical times.  You are aware that both Moses and Manoah called an angel OF God “God”.  You are aware that even God called the ones to whom His word came “gods”.  You are aware that the word was even used of human judges.

Yet you make an attempt to claim that Thomas was calling Jesus “God ALMIGHTY” by calling him “god”.  I believe this is the kind of half-truths Jack is ranting about.  :)

Lightenup
    Participant

Very funny Mike. I suppose you want us all to write really long posts to verify everything said. Then you would complain about that. :)

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Not at all, Kathi. I prefer short and to the point exchanges. The questions I asked were rhetorical, for the answer to all of them is obviously “NO”.

The only POINT there is to discuss (if you want to), is how Thomas using the word “theos” in reference to Jesus makes Jesus be the God Most High.

There are many gods in heaven and on earth, Kathi. Jesus is one of them, and therefore called “el” and “theos” many times in scripture. Just don't confuse those callled “theos” with the ONLY One ever called “Theos Most High”.

That was my point. Thomas surely didn't confuse his god Jesus with his God Most High Jehovah. You shouldn't either. One is clearly the Son OF the other, and therefore cannot BE that other.

peace,
    mike

Pastry
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 18 2011,10:18)
    Not at all, Kathi.  I prefer short and to the point exchanges.  The questions I asked were rhetorical, for the answer to all of them is obviously “NO”.  

The only POINT there is to discuss (if you want to), is how Thomas using the word “theos” in reference to Jesus makes Jesus be the God Most High.

There are many gods in heaven and on earth, Kathi.  Jesus is one of them, and therefore called “el” and “theos” many times in scripture.  Just don't confuse those callled “theos” with the ONLY One ever called “Theos Most High”.

That was my point.  Thomas surely didn't confuse his god Jesus with his God Most High Jehovah.  You shouldn't either.  One is clearly the Son OF the other, and therefore cannot BE that other.

peace,
    mike

Right on, Mike…..Peace and Love Irene

Lightenup
    Participant

Mike and Irene,
    If you don't believe that Jesus is God as the Son and the Highest one together with the Father then you are believing in an idol god if He is anything less.

If you use Jesus' name, and you do not believe that He is God with the Father, then you violate this command:

Exodus 23:13“Now concerning everything which I have said to you, be on your guard; and do not mention the name of other gods, nor let them be heard from your mouth.

So Irene, do you say right on, Mike…let's violate God's command?? :(

Kathi

terraricca
    Participant

Kathi

Exodus 23:13“Now concerning everything which I have said to you, be on your guard; and do not mention the name of other gods, nor let them be heard from your mouth.

So Irene, do you say right on, Mike…let's violate God's command??

Ex 23:13 “Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips.

you know that is says INVOKE this would mean in the intend of worship them,

so you are again in the wrong tracts,

but God the father has his son god beside him bacause his son his supreme over all of creation,this is an appointment given by his father,not taken by the son,

Pierre

Lightenup
    Participant

Pierre,
    Very funny!

“…do not let them be heard on your lips.” I don't think you can get around this command when you do all things in Jesus name.

John 16:26
    “In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I will request of the Father on your behalf; 27for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came forth from the Father. 28“I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father.”

It is kinda hard to ask in Jesus' name and believe that he is one of many gods and not violate the command:

Kathi

terraricca
    Participant

Quote (Lightenup @ Nov. 18 2011,20:41)
    Pierre,
    Very funny!

“…do not let them be heard on your lips.”  I don't think you can get around this command when you do all things in Jesus name.  

John 16:26
    “In that day you will ask in My name, and I do not say to you that I will request of the Father on your behalf; 27for the Father Himself loves you, because you have loved Me and have believed that I came forth from the Father. 28“I came forth from the Father and have come into the world; I am leaving the world again and going to the Father.”

It is kinda hard to ask in Jesus' name and believe that he is one of many gods and not violate the command:

Kathi

Kathi

Jn 16:26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf.
    Jn 16:27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
    Jn 16:28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father

it does not say AGAIN;in verse 28

yes it is funny that it is imposible for you to see truth in Gods word.
    Exodus 23;13 is a repeat of my quote

Pierre

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Lightenup @ Nov. 17 2011,20:41)
    Pierre,
    Very funny!

“…do not let them be heard on your lips.”  I don't think you can get around this command when you do all things in Jesus name.  

Nor could you get around it if you even mention Satan, Deborah, or any of the angels – because you'll never know which one of them was called “God” by Moses in the burning bush story, or which one was called “God” by Manoah, right?

OR………….we could take the SPIRIT of that command to heart, and not play word games with the letter of it.

Which will it be, Kathi?  Will you swear off ever mentioning the name of Satan again?  Or will you obey the SPIRIT of God's command, and not invoke the name (AS IN WORSHIP) of any gods who are NOT vice-regents of Jehovah?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (Lightenup @ Nov. 17 2011,20:16)
    Mike and Irene,
    If you don't believe that Jesus is God as the Son and the Highest one together with the Father then you are believing in an idol god if He is anything less.

Kathi,

Just because YOU aren't able to tell the difference between a piece of wood that a man carved and called a god, and an angel of God, or Satan, or Jesus, who are all also called god in scripture, doesn't mean that Irene and I can't tell the difference.

Kathi, Jehovah is the Most High God. (Gen 14:22) And Jesus is the SON OF the Most High God. (Mark 5:7) Do you accept these scriptures as truth?

Not “Most High God the Son”, but “the Son OF the Most High God”. Surely you can see the vast difference between the two, right? ???

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Kathi?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account