The gospel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 650 total)
  • Author
    david
    Participant

In January 1994, Newsweek magazine reported: “Pope John Paul II is taking Roman Catholicism to the streets.” The magazine explained: “He’s sending out 350 lay evangelists to scour for converts in Rome’s discos, supermarkets and subway stations. The pilot program begins on Ash Wednesday (Feb. 16). If it succeeds, the pontiff is going global—a move that could have Catholic missionaries ringing doorbells from Buenos Aires to Tokyo.”

“CATHOLICS Take Gospel Door to Door.” So read a headline in The Providence Sunday Journal of October 4, 1987. The newspaper reported that a major objective of this activity was to “invite some of their inactive parishioners to return to a more active parish life.” Priest John Allard, director of the Office for Evangelization in the Diocese of Providence, was quoted as saying: “Sure, there’s going to be a lot of skepticism. People are going to say, ‘There they go, just like the Jehovah’s Witnesses.’ But the Jehovah’s Witnesses are effective, aren’t they? I’ll bet you can go into any Kingdom Hall in the state [of Rhode Island, U.S.A.,] and find congregations filled with former Catholics.”

Writing in U.S. Catholic September 1986 , Kenneth Guentert said: “I grew up in the days when Catholics weren’t supposed to read the Bible because they’d get strange ideas—like thinking Christians should go around knocking on doors trying to convert people. Then came Vatican II, and I started to read the Bible. Sure enough; now I think Christians should go around knocking on doors to try to convert people.” He added: “It’s not that I’m terribly comfortable with the idea, you understand; but if you read the New Testament, it is almost impossible to avoid this conclusion.”

Yet, doing so, is not an easy thing.

And in January 1994, Pope John Paul II said that it is “not the time to be ashamed of the Gospel, it’s time to preach it from the rooftops.”
    An article in the Australian newspaper Illawarra Mercury stated: “Prominent South Coast Catholics are not keen to adopt the Jehovah’s Witness-type approach to their faith.” One man said that evangelism is simply “not part of the Catholic psyche.” Another reasoned: “It’s good for the Church to promote itself, but not through doorknocking. Perhaps through schools or letterbox drops would be better.” Even the dean of a local cathedral was not quite sure how to interpret the pope’s remarks. “We would encourage people to live out the Gospel they know through their own lives,” he said. “Whether that means doorknocking is another thing.” The headline of the news article sums it up well: “Catholics won’t heed Pope’s call to preach.”

“POPE Sends Preachers Onto Streets of Rome.” That was the title of a news report by Greg Burke. He wrote: “Pope John Paul has urged Catholics in Italy to follow the example of sects like Jehovah’s Witnesses, who have been winning converts in the country, and start preaching door-to-door.
    “‘It’s not time to be ashamed of the Gospel, it’s time to preach it from the rooftops,’ the Pope said on Monday to 350 itinerant preachers and religion teachers. . . .
    “‘I hope that your project to proclaim the Gospel in the streets . . . brings abundant fruits,’ he told them. ‘You have rediscovered a style of preaching that reaches out even to those who have strayed from the faith.’”
    Reporter Burke noted: “Catholic Church attendance has fallen sharply in Italy over the last two decades, and the Pope’s enthusiasm for door-to-door preachers appears to be at least partly a response to the waning of its influence.”
    Such exhortation to “start preaching door-to-door” is not entirely new. A previous pope, Paul VI, said that the Catholic Church “exists in order to evangelize.” And the present pope, John Paul II, issued his encyclical Redemptoris Missio in 1991 to alert his church to the need to carry out the command of Jesus to preach publicly.
    Roman Catholic writer Peter Hernon posed the question in the London Catholic Herald: “Whatever happened to evangelisation?” He was concerned about the much-touted “decade of evangelisation” that is now several years old. When he asked a bishop about the lack of progress, the bishop responded: “You mustn’t be in a hurry. The Church has only been around for 2000 years.”
    No wonder Hernon asked: “Where is the urgency conveyed by Jesus as He despatched His disciples to evangelise the surrounding villages? Or by St Paul: ‘Woe to me if I do not preach the Gospel! (1 Co 9:16).’” Indeed, will Catholics imitate early Christians who preached publicly “and from house to house”?—Acts 5:42; 20:20, Douay Version.
    Hernon acknowledged that when it comes to door-to-door evangelism, he “can hear the sceptics muttering ‘theoretical, impractical.’ Not so,” Hernon responds. “To justify that claim I need to use a naughty word. I know it is naughty because the last time I used it in a Catholic article the whole section was edited out (though nothing else was altered). The word is Jehovah’s Witness. . . . Each Witness is also taught that, by his very calling, he is necessarily a missionary.”
    Though Hernon disagrees with the beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses, he concedes that when a person considers their methods of preaching, “it is hard not to be reminded of the early Church as depicted in the acts of the Apostles.”

malcolm ferris
    Participant

MARK 16:15
    15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

MARK 16:16-18
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

You are fond of challenging us with a doctrine derived from some scriptures, this doctrine you hold before people as a means of earning favour with GOD and therefore as something that would identify your group as GOD's chosen and those who do not ascribe to this doctrine as lacking somewhat.
    So here is a little challenge.
    If you are going to aspire to the first part of these words of Jesus – to preach the Gospel to every creature (assuming you have the correct version of the gospel and not another gospel by another spirit that preaches another Jesus), if you are going to aspire to this then what about the rest of it? the all important indicators of these that believe…

As far as I am aware the Jehovah's Witness organisation does not believe in casting out of devils or of anointing the sick with oil and the laying on of hands for healing. Correct me if I am wrong please.

I agree that the church has fallen short of this high calling to preach the gospel to every creature. But you also have to ask what does every creature mean? Every living thing? Every living human being? or every living one who was called of God before the foundation of the world?…

david
    Participant

I agree that the church has fallen short of this high calling to preach the gospel to every creature. But you also have to ask what does every creature mean? Every living thing? Every living human being? or every living one who was called of God before the foundation of the world?…

Perhaps Colosians 1:23 will help you. It should.
    What does it mean to preach to “all creation,” as was done.

david
    Participant

MARK 16:15
    15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

MARK 16:16-18
    He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
    They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

These verses appear in certain Bible manuscripts and versions of the fifth and sixth centuries C.E. But they do not appear in the older Greek manuscripts, the Sinaiticus and Vatican MS. 1209 of the fourth century. Dr. B. F. Westcott, an authority on Bible manuscripts, said that “the verses . . . are no part of the original narrative but an appendage.” (An Introduction to the Study of the Gospels, London, 1881, p. 338) Bible translator Jerome, in the fifth century, said that “almost all the Greek codices [are] without this passage.” (The Last Twelve Verses of the Gospel According to S. Mark, London, 1871, J. W. Burgon, p. 53)

The New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967) says: “Its vocabulary and style differ so radically from the rest of the Gospel that it hardly seems possible Mark himself composed it [that is, verses 9-20].” (Vol. IX, p. 240)

There is no record that early Christians either drank poison or handled serpents to prove they were believers.

Malcolm, do you drink poison?

malcolm ferris
    Participant

Nice try but I believe that the bible is inspired.
    Not all speak in tongues either but that doesn't mean that some don't.
    Not all have a gift of healing the sick, but some do.

david
    Participant

Two of the oldest and most highly regarded Bible manuscripts, the Vatican 1209 and the Sinaitic, do not contain this section; they conclude Mark’s Gospel with verse eight. There are also a number of ancient manuscripts that contain a short ending of just about one verse beyond eight; and other manuscripts contain both conclusions. So, some manuscripts end with verse eight, others have a short ending, others have a long ending, and some even give both endings. In addition to this testimony of the Greek manuscripts, all of which combines to cast doubt on Mark’s having written anything beyond verse eight, there are a number of the oldest versions (or translations) that do not contain the verses in question. Among such are ancient Syriac, Armenian and Ethiopic versions. No wonder that the noted manuscript authority Dr. Westcott states that “the verses which follow [9-20] are no part of the original narrative but an appendage.” Among other noted scholars of the same opinion are Tregelles, Tischendorf, Griesbach and Goodspeed.

Supporting this testimony of the Greek manuscripts and versions are the church historian Eusebius and the Bible translator Jerome. Eusebius wrote that the longer ending was not in the “accurate copies,” for “at this point [verse 8] the end of the Gospel according to Mark is determined in nearly all the copies of the Gospel according to Mark.” And Jerome, writing in the year 406 or 407 C.E. said that “nearly all Greek MSS. have not got this passage.”

Quite pertinent here is what the New Catholic Encyclopedia (1966), Volume 9, page 240, has to say about these verses: “The manuscript tradition indicates that the Gospel originally ended at 16.8, but that the longer ending that is incorporated in the Vulgate was later added, becoming widely accepted in the course of the 5th century. . . . Its vocabulary and style differ so radically from the rest of the Gospel that it hardly seems possible Mark himself composed it. . . . Mark 16.1-8 is a satisfactory ending to the Gospel insofar as it declares Jesus’ Resurrection-prophecy to be fulfilled.”

I just reread what you said:

You are fond of challenging us with a doctrine derived from some scriptures, this doctrine you hold before people as a means of earning favour with GOD

hmmm. Well, doing what God commands would be a way of earning favor.
    Jesus commanded his disciples to: Go and make disciples, teaching them to observe all the things Jesus commanded. One of the things he commanded was to “Go and make disciples….”
    Really, it is love of God and love of neighbor that impells one to go to everyone with the good news, the greatest news, news that everyone should and are being given a chance to hear.

david
    Participant

So you are using a KJ version?

david
    Participant

Not all speak in tongues either but that doesn't mean that some don't.
    Not all have a gift of healing the sick, but some do.

Which of these do you do?

david
    Participant

Regarding this passage, a footnote in The Jerusalem Bible says: “That Mark was its author cannot be proved.”

david
    Participant

ROMANS 10:13-15
    ““everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!””

Malcolm, wouldn't you like to have comely feet?
    Shouldn't everyone be given the chance to hear the good news?

david
    Participant

I also believe the Bible is inspired. That's why I go to people and talk to them about the Bible. I am following Jesus command, to “Go.” Ironically, people often accuse me of not believing in Jesus (I guess because we don't believe in the trinity), and yet it is because of his command that we are talking to them.

Even though I know the Bible is inpired, the King James has a few things it shouldn't. There are threads devoted to this fact.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (david @ May 10 2006,06:38)
    ROMANS 10:13-15
    ““everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: “How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!””

Malcolm, wouldn't you like to have comely feet?
    Shouldn't everyone be given the chance to hear the good news?

Hi david,
    And how important that the gospel they hear is the correct one and not a denominationally skewed one.

david
    Participant

Hi david,
    And how important that the gospel they hear is the correct one and not a denominationally skewed one.

Right, that's why we must look to the time before the skewing began.
    I believe the early Christians understood the meaning of Jesus words and acted on them correctly. I believe the skewing or twisting of words, and falling away from the faith, and wolves in sheeps clothing that was fortold must make one question everything that came after.

So, as an example, what did the early Christians believe–that they should take part in warefare, as some preach, or that they would rather die than kill another for their worldly government? History answers clearly.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    This forum is about the gospel and should be kept to that matter. There is another forum on warfare.

david
    Participant

A couple days ago, in the ministry, going from “house to house” (acts 5:42; acts 20;20) I met a Jewish agnostic mathematician physicist philospher who likes to use really big words.
    When I asked him if he believed in God, he said I had biased the question by using the word “God.”
    He said something like:
    “If you mean 'god' in a poetical sense, then yes, I believe in God.”
    This guy knows the Bible, follows some Jewish traditions, thinks Jesus was just a guy who wasn't resurrected.
    He is more than welcome to speaking about the Bible. He's actually read all of our publications. I get the feeling he reads 5 books a day, and not the easy kind.
    Anyway, I'm wondering how to best reach or reason with this person on the subject of God.
    Any thoughts? What does one say to a Jewish agnostic who believes he knows everything?

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    When living in Canada for a year 17 years ago[Kelowna bc]I spent time speaking with a Samaritan Jewish co worker.
    I asked her about the descriptions of Jesus in Isaiah and what she throught of them, and her response was to ask who Isaiah was! She said they only have the Torah[First 5 bible books]. I had no knowledge then of descriptions of Jesus in the Torah so was confounded.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi david,
    I respect you and your obvious deep love and searching attitude to the truth in the bible. But I would like to clear up some common conceptions, or misconceptions of your church preaching.

So when you knock on a door and introduce yourself you then start preaching the gospel?
    Do you have a set format you heave to follow or do you just go with the flow?
    So do you start with
    “Do you believe in God?”
    then if they do,what do you say?
    Do you go to Revelation and show them verses they are unfamiliar with?
    How long does it take to do a witness?
    Is there a certain distance you have to go along the track before you can count it as a witness?
    Do you count the number of completed witnessings?
    Does a higher number make it more likely you will be among the 144,000?
    Do you offer them a NWT bible?
    Do you ask them to come to a JW meeting?

david
    Participant

So when you knock on a door and introduce yourself you then start preaching the gospel?
    (I'm not sure I completely understand the question.)

Do you have a set format you heave to follow or do you just go with the flow?
    (The one to whom you speak seems in large part to dictate the flow.)

So do you start with “Do you believe in God?”
    (Rarely, if ever. I'm sure I must have at some point began with that question.)

then if they do,what do you say?
    (Usually, a second after they say they believe in God, they are explaining to me that they are a [insert religion here] and are shutting the door.)

Do you go to Revelation and show them verses they are unfamiliar with?
    (It would make sense to start on common ground, something they are familiar with and go from there, wouldn't it?)

How long does it take to do a witness?
    (I've never really heard the expression “do a witness” before. But the average first visit is usually between probably just three minutes. But if they are not at all interested in discussing the Bible, about 20 seconds. It really depends on how much they are wanting to talk, how interested they are. We come back after the first visit a week or two later, or a couple days later. Usually, the more we see the person, the more time we spend discussing the Bible.)

Is there a certain distance you have to go along the track before you can count it as a witness?
    (Again, I've never heard the expression “count as a witness” before. And I'm not sure which “track” you refer to. The simple answer is “no, there is no “certain distance.”)

Do you count the number of completed witnessings?
    (No. What is a “witnessing.” We do count certain things, but not what I believe you believe the “number of completed witnessings” is.)

Does a higher number make it more likely you will be among the 144,000?
    (It doesn't work this way Nick.)

Do you offer them a NWT bible?
    (If they don't have a Bible. Most people we speak with have Bibles. I have only given one Bible in the past…year to a chinese lady named Amy who didn't have a Bible. She's now read half of the Greek Scriptures.)

Do you ask them to come to a JW meeting?
    (If by “them” you mean everyone we talk to in the ministry, then “no.” We do encourage people who show interest to come, as this is what the Bible encourages–Heb 10:34,35)

Nick, here is how service usually goes. We meat together and split up into groups. There is a prayer asking for Jehovah's direction and guidance. We go and do what we call “Return visits” or “territory” or on “studies.” “Territory” just means they are new calls and how we usually do it is like this: We go in twos to a door (where I live. In some places, for safety, there are more.) We usually introduce ourself to the householder (home owner) and ask how they're doing. What we are trying to do is direct them to the Bible and point to it as the hope for them. Usually, a conversation can be broken into a few basic parts: We introduce oursleves and introduce what we're discussing. We ask them a thought provoking question. They respond. We share a scripture. If they are interested, point to a Bible based article in the Watchtower or Awake or whatever Broshure or book or the Bible. Our goal really, is to discuss the Bible with them, perhaps in the form of a study or perhaps much less formally. If they are someone who is quite interested in the Bible or the topic at hand, we would stay longer, share more scriptures, speak with them, understand them. If they are short on time or busy but still interested to some extent, we will leave magazines or a small tract that points to Bible based answers. We'll ask there name, tell them we'll return. And over time, until they tell us they are no longer interested,we will return to visit them (return visits) and share the Bible with them. Of course, every person is different. The Jewish person that I met, I had actually met five years ago. I was in his house and the person I was with was looking at certain Bible topics with him. I remembered how extremely … smart he was. He devours books and likes to use big words. So when he opened the door, I already knew how things would go. He likes to talk. I asked him some questions, just to familiarize myself with his beliefs or non-beliefs–which I add, are very complicated. Anyway, this person spoke a lot and I asked questions, trying to reason with him on what science and math (principles of cause and effect/why does anything exist, etc) He gave me very unusual answers surrounded in uncertainty about anything. Normally, I would have used several scriptures in speaking with such a person, but he had already “memorized” the Bible, as he said, and had all our publications and memorized some of them, he said. I just tried to reason with him on simple things. He liked to quote from authors, asking me if I read that book. It was a form of “appealing to authority” as though he was right because he had read more.
    Anyway, back to where I was. Our aim really, is to study the Bible with these ones. So at any point in our conversations with them, we will either directly ask them if they'd like to study the Bible or perhaps just start going through a certain publication with them, slowly.
    But again, most people are not interested in discussing the Bible, and especially with Jehovah's Witnesses. “I have a scripture we're sharing with your neighbors,” I say. They say: “I'm a Catholic (or whatever), I'm not interested.” So, they're not interested in the Bible, I think as I say: “Have a nice day,” and walk to the next house, from “house to house.”

We also do what we call “approach work” or “informal” or “street” witnessing, on the….street, or wherever. It has a differnet feel, because we are choosing to approach people, and don't face the suprise of who is behind the door. We already know. We have a chance to see them. Perhaps they have a child with them. (We can share a scripture relating.)

In winter, we do some phone witnessing. Here in Canada, it gets quite cold for a few months, some days, it's pretty much impossilbe to go from “house to house.” The phone is interesting too, because people who are interested seem more relaxed. It's less invasive and less personal which I believe is why they are more relaxed and more willing to talk often. It's also probably more relaxing for us as well.

Anyway, I hope this answers some of your questions.

NickHassan
    Participant

Thank you.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi,
    Rom 1.15f
    “For my part I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel for it is the power of God for salvation to every one who believes, to the Jew first but also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written
    'The righteous manshall live by faith'”
    Paul has already brought these men to the salvation door of Christ yet there is more they must learn from him of the gospel. They who relied on the Law needed to see that it was faith that was the way. Faith in the written Word that leads men to being led by the Spirit of God.[Gal 5.25]Those who do not “believe” in their hearts, and those who doubt do not receive from God.[Acts 16.31,Jas 1,6]

The power of the gospel is enough to draw to God those who have a heart towards Him. How many heard Paul in Athens? How many responded? One.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 650 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account