THE BIBLE and GOD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Tiffany
    Participant

Mandy

Unless you were a builder, you would not attempt to build a house; if you are a builder, you go over the plan very carefully before you begin to build. You would not pick up a set of blueprints and without studying them first say, they are wrong. You can not say the Bible can't be trusted just because it is two thousand years old.
    When it comes to the things of God, only God can show you and give you understanding; that is why Jesus said, “NOCK, ASK, and SEEK”, and it will be opened, you will receive, and you shall find.
    Do this before every study, and you will be amazed at the result.

Georg

meerkat
    Participant

Quote (Tiffany @ Dec. 17 2008,08:09)
    Mandy

Unless you were a builder, you would not attempt to build a house; if you are a builder, you go over the plan very carefully before you begin to build. You would not pick up a set of blueprints and without studying them first say, they are wrong. You can not say the Bible can't be trusted just because it is two thousand years old.
    When it comes to the things of God, only God can show you and give you understanding; that is why Jesus said, “NOCK, ASK, and SEEK”, and it will be opened, you will receive, and you shall find.

Georg

Well said Georg!!

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,04:42)
    Hi DK,
    The choice of whom to follow is difficult? Several ways to God for men, one for each culture?
    God wants to unite men in Christ and we need to discern what is false from the words of truth.

The Romans wanted to unite their people too….
    We've read what happened there.
    :;):

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (meerkat @ Dec. 17 2008,09:07)

Quote (Tiffany @ Dec. 17 2008,08:09)
    Mandy

Georg

Well said Georg!!

Hi Georg,

I appreciate your post and encouragement.

I don't think the bible is wrong because of it's age. And it's not because I just picked it up one day and looked at it briefly and thought it was wrong.

I'VE POURED OVER the Word for years! Many, many hours a day for nearly 5 years. There are many things I find curious about the bible that have to do with various different studies I've conducted. I haven't come to some of my conclusions half-cocked (can I say that here?) :laugh:

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,05:39)
    Hi dk,
    Do you not yet have the Spirit as witness?
    1 John 5:6
    This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Rev22
    16I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Again, having the “Spirit as a witness” is a poor way to convince someone.

The “Spirit” tells different Christians – different things!!

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,04:08)

Quote (dirtyknections @ Dec. 17 2008,01:19)
    EDIT***

is not EXCLUSIVE to Christianity…I can point you to similar experiences from people of ALL faiths and creeds…

Hi DK,
    Yes you do have to choose.
    But only one has been raised from the dead in fulfillment of prophecy.
    Listen to him.

….in prophecy of the bible (a Christian holy book).

What of other's and their messiah's? Other religions think their guys are just as great. 😉

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,04:12)
    Hi Not3,
    So is Jesus only the mediator for us and the heathen can directly approach God?

I bet you'll be shocked at all the poor, heathen souls who called out to God directly (perhaps on their death bed), who will be standing right next to you on that Day.
    :;):

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Dec. 17 2008,17:46)

Hi dk,
    This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

Rev22
    16I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Hi not3,
    Then you do not speak of the Spirit of our God.

NickHassan
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Dec. 17 2008,17:48)

EDIT***

is not EXCLUSIVE to Christianity…I can point you to similar experiences from people of ALL faiths and creeds…

Hi DK,
    Listen to him.

What of other's and their messiah's?  Other religions think their guys are just as great.  😉

Hi not3,
    Do you not know the love of our God?

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,19:28)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Dec. 17 2008,17:46)

Hi dk,

Rev22

Hi not3,
    Then you do not speak of the Spirit of our God.

According to whom, or what?
    That is a pretty strong judgement.

Did the bible give you the authority to judge your sister like that? :;):

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 17 2008,19:29)

Quote (Not3in1 @ Dec. 17 2008,17:48)

EDIT***

Hi DK,
    Listen to him.

What of other's and their messiah's?  Other religions think their guys are just as great.  😉

Hi not3,
    Do you not know the love of our God?

Not sure how to respond to this comment, it seems out of place? Maybe an exhausted attempt to pull on heart strings?

The fact of the matter is that other religions have their holy books, and their Messiah's. They all believe (of course they do) that their guy is the One; that their book is the One. You are no different. You are defending your guy, as it should be.

Each “way” is said to be the ONLY way.

We should all be convinced in our minds which way leads us to God. We should follow that way with all our hearts. I believe our “spirits” can fail us and give false information. The so-called “Spirit” of God that talks to us and leads us can also fail us. Indeed, it's true! If you do not believe me, let's take that challenge I suggested earlier…..we all ask God's Spirit to lead us on a certain passage of scrpture. We all meet back here and share what the “Spirit” has confirmed in our hearts…….let's see if the “Spirit” told us all the same thing? :laugh:

TimothyVI
    Participant

I have prayed to God and have felt that he responded. I honestly do not know if the God that responded was the God of the bile or not.
    Because when I have prayed, before studying the bible, for the Holy Ghost to lead me to understanding, I have been left
    decidedly alone in my studies. Many of the things that I have read in the bible, not all mind you, leave me disgusted and less than in awe of the God described there.

If the God of the bible loves us so much, and wants for us to come to Him, why then does He make it so hard to understand His word?
    Why would He not jump on faith the size of a mustard seed, and help it to grow, instead of blinding that person with confusion?

Tim

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi tim4,
    Why does not appear to have an answer except trust.

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi not3,
    You say
    “We should all be convinced in our minds which way leads us to God”
    hmm.
    Millions of minds and millions of ways?
    Sounds like humanism to me.

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Dec. 18 2008,05:55)
    Hi not3,
    You say
    “We should all be convinced in our minds which way leads us to God”
    hmm.
    Millions of minds and millions of ways?
    Sounds like humanism to me.

Well we ARE human, are we not? :;):

Believing in the bible and in God do not make us anything but human still….

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (TimothyVI @ Dec. 18 2008,05:48)
    I have prayed to God and have felt that he responded. I honestly do not know if the God that responded was the God of the bile or not.
    Because when I have prayed, before studying the bible, for the Holy Ghost to lead me to understanding, I have been left
    decidedly alone in my studies. Many of the things that I have read in the bible, not all mind you, leave me disgusted and less than in awe of the God described there.

If the God of the bible loves us so much, and wants for us to come to Him, why then does He make it so hard to understand His word?
    Why would He not jump on faith the size of a mustard seed, and help it to grow, instead of blinding that person with confusion?

Tim

Sigh….

So many of your thoughts and feelings are mine as well, bro.

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Nick…. hmm, and why do you accuse a brother of HUMANISM, sounds like your being cynic to me. “O” what we do to puff ourselves up.

Haven't you read where it says “let every man be convinced in his (OWN MIND)”. and again “Have you faith, have it unto yourselves” Tim is seeking a personal relationship with GOD and HIS words. Who are you “O” man to judge that. You would be far better Judging yourself Brother. IMO

peace and love…………….gene

TimothyVI
    Participant

Quote (dirtyknections @ Dec. 11 2008,03:30)
    Now before you answer the question let me clarify…I for one do not doubt that “GOD” exists….I have my reasons for believing…but I would like clarification on why people believe the GOD of the “bible” whose name is “YHWH” and has a son named “Yeshua” is the one true GOD of the universe…

Simply put, Why do you believe in the GOD of the bible?

Why is someone's belief in Allah, Buddha, Vishu, Nature…not right? (aka…false worship)

???

Getting back to DKs original question.
    The Muslim will tell you that he hears Allah speak in the quran. The Jew will say that it is Yahweh in the Old Testament, the Christian will say it is Jesus in the bible. Do they each really hear their God?

First, sometimes it is delusion. Sometimes it is lying. Sometimes it is a creative imagination. Sometimes it is a Different spirit whispering.

And sometimes, it is the same God. The very same God. Breathing on His children… Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Animist, Buddhist, pagan, atheist…. I do believe that Jesus is the Light of the World, and that no one comes to God except through Christ. However, classical Quakerism asserts that it is possible to follow Christ and be acceptable to God, even if you don't know His name…. even if you have rejected the Christianity that you have been introduced to (some forms of Christianity hold up a Jesus that is no more real than a wooden eagle is a real bird).

God is very very big. Why shouldn't He talk to all of those who sincerely seek Him, even though at first we seem to see more differences than similarities between our understandings? I believe that He guides all those who seek to follow, whether they know His name or not. Whether they understand His existence yet, or not.

When I see someone of a different faith, or of no faith at all, who shows the fruits of the Spirit in their life (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control), then I know that they are not walking too far from God, however apparently different our man-made creeds are. Creeds are inevitably imperfect explanations of our experience of God… or lack thereof.

Tim

dirtyknections
    Participant

Tim

I concur

dirtyknections
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Dec. 18 2008,06:09)

Tim

Sigh….

So many of your thoughts and feelings are mine as well, bro.

:)

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account