Sabbath

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 929 total)
  • Author
    IM4Truth
    Participant

Keyonn You are so right, because when you read all the Books in the New Testaments, very little emphases are given about the Sabbath. Paul even states that one esteem one day and another esteems every day alike. Another place He said not to stop meeting like some have, but He never condemned those that did not. Meeting is for fellowship and is good for all, to encourage one another and talk about God. If one wants to keep the Sabbath, that is good, but on the other hand I find it wrong to condemn those that keep every day alike. And believe me I have been put down big time, because that is what I want to do and can do. I believe in the Royal Law that Christ gave us, and to a certain degree makes it so much harder then just keeping the Sabbath physically, that is what one does, if you keep it. The Sermon on the Mount is what I find more important then how one keeps the Sabbath. There is a Tape on the Sabbath from the Last Chance Organization they use scare tactic just like all other organization do, if you don't keep Sunday Holy you go to Hell etc.
    What difference is that then what the Catholic Church is doing or what the World Wide Church of God did.
    Peace and Love Mrs.:) :)

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

IM4TRUTH…..>i Agree with you and Kejonn have said. While it's good to keep the sabbath, Don't make it your measuring stick for sprituallity. The Royal Commandments is what really counts.
    Bless you all…….gene

IM4Truth
    Participant

Gen Thank you tell you the truth, I am rather surprised that you agree and see that God is working in your life. Wish you all the best and Bless you.

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

The Royal Law?

What is James speaking about. The chapter starts with concerns of people treating some people special.

Jam 2:1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
    Jam 2:2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;
    Jam 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:
    Jam 2:4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
    Jam 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
    Jam 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?
    Jam 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
    Jam 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Certainly James quotes “you neighbor as yourself” because their were some gave special attention to the rich.

Love your neighbor as yourself is covered in the last six commandments. As Jesus said:

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
    Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
    Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

On these TWO hang all the law.

Does this mean you can murder or steal?

Let's not forget (as those would want you to do) the first Commandment Jesus gave.

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

Scripture…scripture…scripture.. Not human understanding.

LOVE GOD WITH ALL YOU ARE. If you do this then:

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

James is expounding of his preaching about being a respecter of persons!

Do you think that James is saying you can break any of God's law..the law God wrote….The TEN COMMANDMENTS.

Truly scripture is being fulfilled right here right now on heaven net.

2Ti 4:3 For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions,
    2Ti 4:4 and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths.

Love your neighbor as thyself BUT break the first four commandments?

Surely any one who has eyes to see and ears to hear are not fooled by the “teachings of their own desire”.

The Spirit agrees with scripture NOT what man “wants” the scripture to say.

The Word changes us we do not change the Word.

Peace to all. My prayer is that “all” would see and hear. But scripture itself speaks of tares and those who twist scripture to their own destruction.

Ken :)

Hi all.

Maybe someone could show us a New testament example where the Apostles taught the keeping of the Sabboth, or where Jesus commands it or where the “Ten Commandments” are mentioned.

John said…

1 Jn 3:23
    And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

It dosnt say “Love one another and keep the sabboth”.

No NT scripture says that.

Jesus said…

Jn 13:34
    A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

He didnt say Love one another and keep the sabboth and by this will all men know you are my disciples.

In the sermon on the mount Jesus had every opportunity to speak of the keeping of the Sabboth but did not.

The Sabboth law has become a spiritual law under the New Covenant.

Jesus is our Sabboth rest. He is the fulfillment of the law.

Rom 6:14
    For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. :D

The observing of the law and sabbaths will not justify anyone to God, or Jesus would not have had to die.

Col 2:16 NLT
    So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies **or Sabbaths, (sabbaton)**.
    17 For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself.

The Greek word for “Sabbath” in Col 2:16 is 'sabbaton', which means;

1) the seventh day of each week which was a sacred festival on which the Israelites were required to abstain from all work

a) the institution of the sabbath, the law for keeping holy every seventh day of the week

b) a single sabbath, sabbath day

2) seven days, a week

Its the only word used for the seventh day sabbath in the greek NT.

Paul uses this word Col 2:16 speaking of it as a shadow of the real thing which is Christ.

We are to cease from our own labours!

Matt 11:28
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
    29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
    30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

:)

IM4Truth
    Participant

W.J. Your Post is absolutely right and I will agree with you on this 100%. Good Job and thank you.
    But I can see it already, how some will say that we are lawless, and that is 100% wrong. The Royal Law
    is not just, to take care of the poor. The main thing is to Love God with all of your Heart and your neighbor as thyself. And the Law is magnified, then if you are angry, for instance, you have committed murder in your Heart. If you look at a Woman with lust, you have committed adultery in your Heart. That why I say doing what Jesus is teaching is not as easy as some will think. But because we have Jesus Christ who died for our sins we are not under the penalty of sin, we are under grace.
    Romans 6:14
    Since I came on this Website, with all the disagreements and arguments against me, I have learned somewhat to keep my anger under control. How Jesus must of felt when they accused Him, how He took everything with patience and with Love, He said to Love your enemy, pray for those that despise you, all of that is what counts in my eyes and makes a Christian. God is Love and that is what we all have to learn to do more off.
    Peace and Love Mrs.:( :(

Not3in1
    Participant

WJ,

Thank you for your very thoughtful post. I am still studying this subject. The Lord has been giving me little bits of truth here and there. I believe that God's laws are written on our hearts, and we will obey him because we love him. So, the question that remains is – what is required? Is a Sabbath rest required? Is it required on a certain Day? I'm still seeking all of this out. Thanks for helping! :)

kenrch
    Participant

Deu 10:1 At that time the LORD said unto me, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first, and come up unto me into the mount, and make thee an ark of wood.
    Deu 10:2 And I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakest, and thou shalt put them in the ark.
    Deu 10:3 And I made an ark of shittim wood, and hewed two tables of stone like unto the first, and went up into the mount, having the two tables in mine hand.
    Deu 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the “”ten commandments””, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.

Should “we” erase one commandment? Or should “we” change one commandment? Who are “WE”?

They are only two:
    God who says to keep the Sabbath. The day with that name and only name for a day in the bible is the seventh day.

Satan says “you are god” (Gen. 3:5) you choose the day. You do what you want. Or keep the day I (Satan) chooses.

That is what you are saying when “you” choose.

Now I did NOT write this so if it cuts it's not “Ken” cutting you.

1Jo 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Joh 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Am I saying that “you ” don't love God? NO! I am not saying that scripture says that If you don't keep His Commandments the you don't love Him and are a liar.

To most the Sabbath is new. Only God knows your heart. Only God knows if you are deceived OR simply refuse to follow Jesus.

I'm just pointing out scripture.

It's not rocket science. The scriptures are direct and clearly plain…..Keep His Commandments. It is certainly NOT as hard to understand as the Trinity.

Peace and Love,

Ken

Not3in1
    Participant

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 12 2007,04:49)
    It's not rocket science. The scriptures are direct and clearly plain…..Keep His Commandments. It is certainly NOT as hard to understand as the Trinity.

37 pages in this thread alone, not counting other's on the topic of the Commandments and the Sabbath….with all due respect, Ken, it's anything but direct and clear.

There are many who believe the scriptures that you quote, however, their interpretation of them differ's from yours. Who is right? You? From what I can tell (a neutral party at this point), the scriptures can be interpreted both ways (in fact, many ways). So, I thank you for your interpretation and I will add what you've offered to my study – that seems to be increasing day by day. :)

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 12 2007,05:25)

Quote (kenrch @ Sep. 12 2007,04:49)
    It's not rocket science.  The scriptures are direct and clearly plain…..Keep His Commandments.  It is certainly NOT as hard to understand as the Trinity.

37 pages in this thread alone, not counting other's on the topic of the Commandments and the Sabbath….with all due respect, Ken, it's anything but direct and clear.

There are many who believe the scriptures that you quote, however, their interpretation of them differ's from yours.  Who is right?  You?  From what I can tell (a neutral party at this point), the scriptures can be interpreted both ways (in fact, many ways).  So, I thank you for your interpretation and I will add what you've offered to my study – that seems to be increasing day by day.  :)

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

2Jo 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

How many ways can you interpret the above scriptures?

The love is that we keep His commandments.

The commandment is that we walk after His Commandments.

How many Commandments are there?

Sorry but I see nothing difficult (and never did ;ever) in reading and understanding those scriptures not counting ALL the other scriptures that says the same.

If Jesus did away with the “TEN Commandments” then what are these scriptures saying?

Has heaven and earth passed away?

What does this scripture say?

Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Here we have the last day saints keeping the commandments of God.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

What commandments? “The Royal Law” which is covered by the last six Commandments.

The way it is to me you either accept scripture or reject scripture. It's just that simple :)

Peace,

Not3in1
    Participant

I'm glad it is simple for you, Ken.  For the rest of us, it's a bit of a challenge to sift through the OT laws and commandments to see who they were written to – if they still apply – which part of the law was fulfilled – and which part of the law is already accomplished.  There is a bit more to obedience than just saying, follow the 10 commandments, in my opinion, and I appear to not be alone on this.

For instance, I am pondering the fact that we cannot be commanded to both sacrifice and not sacrifice, and to both circumcise and not circumcise.  We cannot be allowed more than one wife, and only one wife at a time.  It cannot be a capital crime to break the Sabbath (Ex. 31:14, 15; Num. 15:32-36) and at the same time not be a crime at all (Ro. 14:5, 6 and Col. 2:16).

There is no question that God has changed the rules man is to live by, but which and when?  This takes some study and prayer.  It certainly is not simple for me, and I believe I also have the spirit of God.

kejonn
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Sep. 10 2007,19:14)
    Hi all.

Maybe someone could show us a New testament example where the Apostles taught the keeping of the Sabboth, or where Jesus commands it or where the “Ten Commandments” are mentioned.

John said…

And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Jesus said…

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    35 By this shall all [men] know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

He didnt say Love one another and keep the sabboth and by this will all men know you are my disciples.

In the sermon on the mount Jesus had every opportunity to speak of the keeping of the Sabboth but did not.

For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. :D

The observing of the law and sabbaths will not justify anyone to God, or Jesus would not have had to die.

So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies **or Sabbaths, (sabbaton)**.

1) the seventh day of each week which was a sacred festival on which the Israelites were required to abstain from all work

a) the institution of the sabbath, the law for keeping holy every seventh day of the week

2) seven days, a week

Paul uses this word Col 2:16 speaking of it as a shadow of the real thing which is Christ.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Hey WJ,

There is some good insight in this post! I think you may have hit upon a vital point in the Matthew quote: Yeshua is our rest! And does he not also say that the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath? The spiritual Sabbath may be Christ himself.

But that is only speculation. It would make for further conversation however.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (Not3in1 @ Sep. 12 2007,07:57)
    I'm glad it is simple for you, Ken.  For the rest of us, it's a bit of a challenge to sift through the OT laws and commandments to see who they were written to – if they still apply – which part of the law was fulfilled – and which part of the law is already accomplished.  There is a bit more to obedience than just saying, follow the 10 commandments, in my opinion, and I appear to not be alone on this.

For instance, I am pondering the fact that we cannot be commanded to both sacrifice and not sacrifice, and to both circumcise and not circumcise.  We cannot be allowed more than one wife, and only one wife at a time.  It cannot be a capital crime to break the Sabbath (Ex. 31:14, 15; Num. 15:32-36) and at the same time not be a crime at all (Ro. 14:5, 6 and Col. 2:16).

There is no question that God has changed the rules man is to live by, but which and when?  This takes some study and prayer.  It certainly is not simple for me, and I believe I also have the spirit of God.

1Jo 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Deu 10:4 And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.

How many ways can you interpret the above scriptures?

I can promise you won't find where it's ok to break “any” of God's Commandments without twisting or pulling scripture out of context.

Peace Sis :)

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (WorshippingJesus @ Sep. 11 2007,12:14)
    Hi all.

John said…

Jesus said…

2) seven days, a week

2) seven days, a week

Of course Paul speaks of the Sabbath in Col. 2:16 as “was a shadow of things to come” Because the Sabbath in verse 16 is speaking of “annual” Sabbaths and not the forth Commandment of God.

You can't take a word by itself and come to the meaning of which it is being presented.

Example the word wine.

G3631
    οἶνος
    oinos
    oy'-nos
    A primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin [H3196]); “wine” (literally or figuratively): – wine.

This word by itself means “wine” fermented grape juice.

However in Rev 18:3 the word wine takes on a different meaning.

Rev 18:3 For all nations have drunk of the **wine of the wrath of her fornication**, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

So you pull the word Sabbath out of it's context and yes it means rest However taken in context we see that the word Sabbath(S) is describing “ANNUAL” Sabbath days.

What does the “Seventh Day Sabbath” have to do with food, drink, moons, feasts days ETC.

NONE! absoultly none!

Jesus didn't say that the Sabbath would be done away with by Him either. He also didn't say that the seventh day Sabbath would be changed to the first day either.

He also didn't say love one another but you can steal, murder, or break any of the Commandments.

Jesus said the Father gave Him what to say.

Jesus said “if you love me “keep” MY Commandments”.

Jesus also said that unless heaven and earth pass away the commandments would NOT be done away with.

Has heaven and earth passed away?

This is what you will find, very “poor” EXCUSES as to why you should not keep the forth commandment.

I am really coming to my end and soon I will not say anymore. There just isn't any more I can say. The truth is in the scriptures.

If you accept some false excuse such as what WJ has given then what are you to do with ALL those scriptures that say “keep His commandments”

Should I give you understanding of this scripture?

1Jo 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    Period!

Peace to all,

Ken

IM4Truth
    Participant

Ken I believe that you are taking scripture out of context. You have thirty-four percent in the New Testament and a quarter per cent in the O.T. by quoting Deut. 10:4. the Old Covenant and other commandments come from Jesus in the N.T. Covenant. You are always forgetting that Jesus has fulfilled all and we are under grace and not under the O.T. Law. There is no separation of the Law. Galatians speaks of if you want to keep the Law you have to keep the whole Law. And you have fallen from grace. If it is concerning the circumcision it also applies to all the law. If you read in Hebrew it shows you that the ark is surrounded be gold and there is nothing on the outside like you claim.
    Again if you want to keep the Sabbath that is right for you, and your decision, but find it so wrong to constantly want others to do so, and even think that one will not be in the Kingdom if we don't keep the Sabbath, and therefore you are judging others. The tape that you are constantly putting up is a sign of what I am saying. You need to let God do the calling and if He wants us still to keep the Sabbath, I am convinced that He will let us know. So Ken be a little bit more about what Jesus teaches you in Love.

Keyonn and W.J. I also think that our rest is in Jesus, that is what I always say that I keep every day Holy to the Lord, because we have the Father and the Son have made their abode with us, and the Fathers Holy Spirit lives in us. We are the Temple of God. If we could only see how His Holy Spirit conbines us all, we would have unity on this Website. Would that not be great. There are some that are praying for that to happen.

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Sep. 12 2007,11:26)
    Ken I believe that you are taking scripture out of context. You have thirty-four percent in the New Testament and a quarter per cent in the O.T. by quoting Deut. 10:4.  the Old Covenant and other commandments come from Jesus in the N.T. Covenant. You are always forgetting that Jesus has fulfilled all and we are under grace and not under the O.T. Law. There is no separation of the Law. Galatians speaks of if you want to keep the Law you have to keep the whole Law. And you have fallen from grace. If it is concerning the circumcision it also applies to all the law. If you read in Hebrew it shows you that the ark is surrounded be gold and there is nothing on the outside like you claim.
    Again if you want to keep the Sabbath that is right for you, and your decision, but find it so wrong to constantly want others to do so, and even think that one will not be in the Kingdom if we don't keep the Sabbath, and therefore you are judging others. The tape that you are constantly putting up is a sign of what I am saying. You need to let God do the calling and if He wants us still to keep the Sabbath, I am convinced that He will let us know. So Ken be a little bit more about what Jesus teaches you in Love.

Keyonn and W.J. I also think that our rest is in Jesus, that is what I always say that I keep every day Holy to the Lord, because we have the Father and the Son have  made their abode with us, and the Fathers Holy Spirit lives in us. We are the Temple of God. If we could only see how His Holy Spirit conbines us all, we would have unity on this Website. Would that not be great. There are some that are praying for that to happen.

Peace and Love Mrs.

Of course you do. Show me where? And how I am taking scripture out of context.

Gees which one?

If you don't want to keep the forth commandment then that's fine but you should not encourage others to break the commandment also.

Mrs What would it hurt for you to keep the forth commandment? Why are you SO against it? The most it would do is show that you keep God's commandments as scripture says.

1Jo 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
    1Jo 5:2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
    1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
    1Jo 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Ok I'm ready :) show me how I pulled 1John 5:3 out of context :)

Peace Mrs to you and yours,

IM4Truth
    Participant

Ken I am not against keeping the Sabbath, it is the way you think others should keep it. That is what has always been the case. I personally can keep any day, but you see you do not know my circumstances and therefore you cant understand. You keep up with pushing the subject down others throat, that is what I don't like.
    Again let God do His Job, you are not Him and therefore it is not your Job to constantly stress the subject, that is what I find wrong, just like the tape, to use scare tactics, like the Cath. Church did that is what I find wrong to do. That makes them just like them. Like all others that say if you don't belong to our Church you get the Lake of Fire.

Is that not what the Scribes and the Pharisees did?

Peace and Love Mrs.

kenrch
    Participant

Quote (IM4Truth @ Sep. 12 2007,12:16)
    Ken I am not against keeping the Sabbath, it is the way you think others should keep it. That is what has always been the case. I personally can keep any day, but you see you do not know my circumstances and therefore you cant understand. You keep up with pushing the subject down others throat, that is what I don't like.
    Again let God do His Job, you are not Him and therefore it is not your Job to constantly stress the subject, that is what I find wrong, just like the tape, to use scare tactics, like the Cath. Church did that is what I find wrong to do. That makes them just like them. Like all others that say if you don't belong to our Church you get the Lake of Fire.

Is that not what the Scribes and the Pharisees did?

Peace and Love Mrs.

Well you sure fooled me. For months you have been trying to show scripture wrong.

Now that I asked to show me where I'm pulling scripture out of context you want to say “Ken I am not against keeping the Sabbath”.

Wow! Mrs and EVERYONE nevermind me follow the scriptures.

All I'm doing is defending scripture from those who would twist and as you accuse me “pull scripture out of context”.

Truth is Mrs there is NO scripture that says you can break any of the commandments NONE.

I STILL don't understand what is the BIG deal? Doesn't every “Christian” want to spend time with their Father? God say I'm free on the seventh day. Because that's the day HE rested.

If you work on the Sabbath then ask your Father to give you another job. Then wait on the Spirit.

Perhaps you don't understand what is going on.

God—–Seventh day
    Satan—First day OR “any day” BUT the seventh

If I were not sure (of course I KNOW the seventh day is God's Sabbath) BUT if I weren't sure I DO believe I would keep the Seventh day to BE SURE.

I would not hesitate. I would not have a reason NOT to keep the Seventh day. There are NO scriptures that say the Sabbath OR any of God's commandments are done away with but “only ” scriptures that say to Keep His commandments.

Where does scripture say if you keep the seventh day then you are breaking the forth commandment? On the contrary scripture say to Remember the Sabbath.

Wow! I have been trying to shut up may I will be able to soon God willing :)

The truth sets you free it doesn't put you in bondage.

What else is this “scripture” saying?

The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Come out of her MY people.

Peace,

Ken

Participant

Hi All:

4:4
    For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh * * day from all his works.  
    4:5
    And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.  
    4:6
    Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein *, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:  
    4:7
    Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.  
    4:8
    For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.  
    4:9
    There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.  

The following quotes are taken from JFB commentary for your consideration:

his rest–God's heavenly rest, of which Canaan is the type. “To-day” still continues, during which there is the danger of failing to reach the rest. “To-day,” rightly used, terminates in the rest which, when once obtained, is never lost (Revelation 3:12). A foretaste of the rest Is given in the inward rest which the believer's soul has in Christ.

Although God had finished His works of creation and entered on His rest from creation long before Moses' time, yet under that leader of Israel another rest was promised, which most fell short of through unbelief; and although the rest in Canaan was subsequently attained under Joshua, yet long after, in David's days, God, in the ninety-fifth Psalm, still speaks of the rest of God as not yet attained. THEREFORE, there must be meant a rest still future, namely, that which “remaineth for the people of God” in heaven, Hebrews 4:3-9, when they shall rest from their works, as God did from His, Hebrews 4:10. The argument is to show that by “My rest,” God means a future rest, not for Himself, but for us

remaineth–still to be realized hereafter by the “some (who) must enter therein” (Hebrews 4:6), that is, “the people of God,” the true Israel who shall enter into God's rest (“My rest,” Hebrews 4:3). God's rest was a Sabbatism; so also will ours be.
    a rest–Greek, “Sabbatism.” In time there are many Sabbaths, but then there shall be the enjoyment and keeping of a Sabbath-rest: one perfect and eternal. The “rest” in Hebrews 4:8 is Greek, “catapausis;” Hebrew, “Noah”; rest from weariness, as the ark rested on Ararat after its tossings to and fro; and as Israel, under Joshua, enjoyed at last rest from war in Canaan. But the “rest” in this Hebrews 4:9 is the nobler and more exalted (Hebrew) “Sabbath” rest; literally, “cessation”: rest from work when finished (Hebrews 4:4), as God rested (Revelation 16:17). The two ideas of “rest” combined, give the perfect view of the heavenly Sabbath. Rest from weariness, sorrow, and sin; and rest in the completion of God's new creation (Revelation 21:5). The whole renovated creation shall share in it; nothing will there be to break the Sabbath of eternity; and the Triune God shall rejoice in the work of His hands (Zephaniah 3:17). Moses, the representative of the law, could not lead Israel into Canaan: the law leads us to Christ, and there its office ceases, as that of Moses on the borders of Canaan: it is Jesus, the antitype of Joshua, who leads us into the heavenly rest. This verse indirectly establishes the obligation of the Sabbath still; for the type continues until the antitype supersedes it: so legal sacrifices continued till the great antitypical Sacrifice superseded it, AS THEN THE ANTITYPICAL HEAVENLY SABBATH-REST WILL NOT BE TILL CHRIST, OUR GOSPEL JOSHUA, COMES, TO USHER US INTO IT, THE TYPICAL EARTHLY SABBATH MUST CONTINUE TILL THEN. THE JEWS CALL THE FUTURE REST “THE DAY WHICH IS ALL SABBATH.”

I believe that Ken is correct by stating that we should obey God's commandments including the Forth Commandment, but whatever we do as born again believers in the body of Christ we do out of love for God and for humanity.  And as I have already stated, I believe that it is the principle of resting on the seventh day after six consequtive days of work that is emphasized rather than the specific day.  In the society that I live the work week begins on Monday and unless I start my own business so that I can start my work week on Sunday, I do not believe that I am going to find a job so that I can begin my work week on Sunday.  I also mentioned that there were people in professions like Phyiscian, Policeman, Nurse, Fireman.  These people usually work shift work and their labor is required every day of the week, but of course, they should rest from their labor.  The body and the soul get tired.  The day of rest should also be a day of sacred assembly, and as KJ mentioned Christian Assemblies that meet on Saturdays in our society are hard to find.  

Jesus states:

Matt. 22:37
    * Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  
    22:38
    This is the first and great commandment.  
    22:39
    And the second is like unto it *, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.  
    22:40
    On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.  

We are not to be in bondage the day and Jesus is the judge of who violates the Sabbath Law:

Mark 2:27
    And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:  
    2:28
    Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.  

And about the sacred assembly the scripture states:

Hebrews 10:23
    Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; * (for he is faithful that promised;)  
    10:24
    And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:  
    10:25
    Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.  

God Bless

kenrch

You say…

Of course Paul speaks of the Sabbath in Col. 2:16 as “was a shadow of things to come”  Because the Sabbath in verse 16 is speaking of “annual” Sabbaths and not the forth Commandment of God.

Ken it dosnt just say “the sabbath was a shadow of things to come”

It says that Christ is the “reality” of it. He is the Fulfillment of the rest. He is the fulfillment of the law.

Rom 10:4
    For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Col 2:16 NIV
    Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

It dosnt say “Anual sabbaths” either. Its simply speaking of “Holy days”.

Again, the Greek word for “Sabbath” in Col 2:16 is 'sabbaton', which means;

2) seven days, a week

Kenrch, can you show us where Jesus or the Apostles of the NT ever taught the keepng of the “Sabbath”.

The first epistle of John is full of the term “This is my commandment”, “A new commandment” etc. yet never mention the word “Sabbath”

The Sabbath is now a spiritual law that is fullfilled in Jesus who is the Lord of the Sabbath!

The Sabbath is now kept by every born again believer who has by faith found their rest in him!

The Kingdom of God is within us!

The Kingdom of God is righteousness, peace and Joy in the Holy Spirit.

It has nothing to do with our own works or our physical rest.

It is experienced by faith in the King of the Kingdom who lives in us!

Viewing 20 posts - 361 through 380 (of 929 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account