Reason and Religion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 692 total)
  • Author
    seekingtruth
    Participant

Mike,
    Really… as far as I know the timing is the only item withheld from the Son, He knows all but one item of the Fathers business as far as I know. This not a real issue as I agree he is a servant of the Father I was only pointing out that scripture states “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business” if you believe that one secret left unknown constitutes not knowing His masters business then so be it, but I doubt that God calls him anything but Son.

My opinion – Wm

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Actually Wm,

God calls Jesus His servant many times in scripture.  The writers of the NT followed suit in this regard.

For example:
    Ezekiel 34:24
    I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David will be prince among them. I the LORD have spoken.

Ezekiel 37:24
    My servant David will be king over them, and they will all have one shepherd. They will follow my laws and be careful to keep my decrees.

But there are many more scriptures that speak of Jesus AFTER his exaltation, where he is still the servant of his God.

Stu
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 26 2011,01:38)
    Pretty soon, there will be those who are servants of Jehovah, and those who are in the lake of fire.  I don't believe there will be any in between.

When you write that, do you actually have a picture in your head of human beings immersed in something that could be literally described as a lake of fire?

Or is it a more metaphorical mental picture than a literal one?

Stuart

mikeboll64
    Blocked

I mentally picture it as something like an active volcano. The mentions of sulfer and brimstone cause me to picture it this way.

But at this point, it is not “human beings” who are cast off into everlasting destruction. It is the souls of those who used to be human beings that are being judged at this time.

Stu
    Participant

I see, so what is your mental picture of a human soul, and how does fire affect souls?

Stuart

mikeboll64
    Blocked

I'm undecided. Why? Does my percieved image of the lake of fire or souls have any bearing on what I said?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Nov. 26 2011,04:58)
    Mike,
    Really… as far as I know the timing is the only item withheld from the Son, He knows all but one item of the Fathers business as far as I know. This not a real issue as I agree he is a servant of the Father I was only pointing out that scripture states “I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business” if you believe that one secret left unknown constitutes not knowing His masters business then so be it, but I doubt that God calls him anything but Son.

My opinion – Wm

WM

Jesus also does not know who will be sitting at his left or right in the Kingdom:

King James Version (KJV)

23And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

He did not know the fig tree was out of season

Mark11-12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.

If Jesus knew all that the Father knew or for that matter if Jesus was even part of the creation of that tree he would have known it was out of season and following the command of Jehovah to stay in or out of season but it is totally that a hungry servant could get upset because he didn't understand.

but I doubt that God calls him anything but Son.

Matthew 12:18

King James Version (KJV)

18Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 27 2011,07:32)
    I'm undecided.  Why?  Does my percieved image of the lake of fire or souls have any bearing on what I said?

You are totally correct here it doesn't matter what the perceived image of hell is what matters is the warning is heeded and repentence follows.

There are lots of things in this life we will never experience simply because we heed warnings that are sometimes too graphic, violent…etc to correctly comprehend but nevertheless do the work of pursuaing us not to follow certain paths.

shimmer
    Participant

Ha ha that is so funny. You all believe in a literal lake of fire.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (t8 @ Nov. 25 2011,07:27)
    Yes he is a servant and a messenger.
    But he is also the son of God and the messiah.
    He was the Word that was with God and he came in the flesh.
    He existed in the form of God (divine nature) and emptied himself and came in the flesh.
    He is now in the glory that he had with God before the world began.

God made all things for him and through him because he was the first to be with God.
    Someone had to be first and he was first. This is what gives him special standing before God.

So yes he is the servant of YHWH, we can agree.
    But the disagreement was never that. It was always about who Jesus is and was that causes contention.

So the contention is who Jesus is and was?

The Bible explains that Jesus was made by God as a Holy Thing that shall be CALLED the Son of the Highest. It does not say that God had a son in anyway but instead it says

Hebrews 1 5For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

Now this was also said of Solomon

2Samuel 7:14, “I will be a Father to him, and he shall be a son to Me.”

Is it unreasonable to say the context should be applied the same way or is there a reason why the application should be different?

Compare:

“His name shall be Solomon . . . he shall build a house for My name and I will be a Father to him and he will be a son to Me.”

1 Chronicles 22:9-10

He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
    Luke 1:31-33

And further Jesus is never called God's firstborn but look here:

About Jacob, i.e. Israel;

“Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Israel is My son, My firstborn.
    “So I say to you, let My son go that he may serve Me. But if you refuse to let him go, indeed I will kill your son, your firstborn.”‘ (Exodus 4:22-23)

And in regards to that word that seems to stick out the most when you say Jesus is the ONLY Begotten of the Father, look:

Deuteronomy 32:18

King James Version (KJV)

18Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.

In Context

16They provoked him to jealousy with strange gods, with abominations provoked they him to anger.

17They sacrificed unto devils, not to God; to gods whom they knew not, to new gods that came newly up, whom your fathers feared not.

18Of the Rock that begat thee thou art unmindful, and hast forgotten God that formed thee.

19And when the LORD saw it, he abhorred them, because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters.

So there you have it begotten sons and daughters that are not Jesus so it would be reasonable to look at your claims slightly different they were all servants and they were begotten on that day in which they became born again in the sense of repenting from evil and when repenting from good one is then called child of the devil or a servant of sin.

When we use these human terms like son, daughter, child we must understand that God is not a Human he does not PRO-Create GOD is ALL of OUR CREATOR in the actual sense HE does not beget nor is He begotten

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (shimmer @ Nov. 27 2011,08:29)

Do you believe in a literal heaven? If so, why do you choose to believe in one as described and not the other?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 26 2011,15:50)
    So there you have it begotten sons and daughters that are not Jesus so it would be reasonable to look at your claims slightly different they were all servants and they were begotten on that day in which they became born again in the sense of repenting from evil and when repenting from good one is then called child of the devil or a servant of sin.

Were all things created through any of these other sons and daughters – or only through Jesus?

Were any of them the firstborn of all creation or the beginning of the creation of God?

When we use these human terms like son, daughter, child we must understand that God is not a Human he does not PRO-Create GOD is ALL of OUR CREATOR in the actual sense HE does not beget nor is He begotten

I doubt that God impregnated a goddess who then bore Jesus.  But it was God who said He begot Jesus.  Who are you to then say, “HE does not beget”?

Surely God understood the words He used – and how humans would understand those words, right?

What you imply is that, unlike His servant Abraham, (who was willing to sacrifice his actual son), God “cheated”.  You suggest that God just picked one of millions of humans to die for us – as if one was just as good as another.

But I believe that God so loved the world that He gave His (LITERALLY) only begotten Son as a sacrificial Lamb so that our sins could be atoned for.  I believe that Jesus was just as much God's literal Son as Isaac was Abraham's.  Otherwise, the sacrifice God made would be more equivalent to Abraham being asked to sacrifice his third niece, twice removed – or some other far removed descendent.

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 26 2011,15:52)

Quote (shimmer @ Nov. 27 2011,08:29)

Do you believe in a literal heaven? If so, why do you choose to believe in one as described and not the other?

Some of us let our emotions override the teachings of scriptures.  Like, “God is so nice, He would never punish anyone harshly” – despite what the actual scriptures say about it.

Or, “I love Jesus so much that I'm elevating his status to God” – despite what the scriptures actually say about it.

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 27 2011,10:07)

Were all things created through any of these other sons and daughters – or only through Jesus?

Were any of them the firstborn of all creation or the beginning of the creation of God?

I doubt that God impregnated a goddess who then bore Jesus.  But it was God who said He begot Jesus.  Who are you to then say, “HE does not beget”?

Surely God understood the words He used – and how humans would understand those words, right?

What you imply is that, unlike His servant Abraham, (who was willing to sacrifice his actual son), God “cheated”.  You suggest that God just picked one of millions of humans to die for us – as if one was just as good as another.

But I believe that God so loved the world that He gave His (LITERALLY) only begotten Son as a sacrificial Lamb so that our sins could be atoned for.  I believe that Jesus was just as much God's literal Son as Isaac was Abraham's.  Otherwise, the sacrifice God made would be more equivalent to Abraham being asked to sacrifice his third niece, twice removed – or some other far removed descendent.

When we think of the word of God as being Jesus I totally would agree to your point but Jesus himself says:

John 10:35
    If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Now how is it that Jesus is calling those people to whom the word of God came gods and informs you that the scripture cannot be broken. So the Word is God and is with God but wherever it goes God is with it so it is with creation through creation and for creation for nothing can exist without the word of God so Jesus says because he understands that:

36Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

In other words he makes it clear that he was made by THE WORD of God and therefore is the Son of God because he became made by the Word that God bestowed on Mary.

He was his literal son just as Adam was his literal son. The Bible does say

Luke 3:38
    Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Adam had no Mother or Father. Jesus is called the second Adam And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.
    1 Corinthians 15:44-46

If you are called the last Adam and Adam is called the son of God how could you be the only begotten or the first born?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 26 2011,17:42)
    If you are called the last Adam and Adam is called the son of God how could you be the only begotten or the first born?

You're leaving a little out of the story, aren't you?  :)   Jesus was the last Adam “according to the flesh”, as is many times pointed out for us in scripture so as to distinguish Jesus' fleshly existence from his pre-existence.  Many scriptures attest to this.

When we think of the word of God as being Jesus I totally would agree to your point………….

Well, let's see if he is the Word of God then:

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’

John said these words about Jesus, right?  Now compare:  

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us and we have seen his glory, the glory of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John testifies concerning him and cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”

The same words John said about Jesus in verse 30 are said about “him” in verse 15.  If we follow the pronoun “him” back to the original subject of the teaching, it leads us back to “The Word” in verse 14.  

And in verse 14, the pronoun “his”, which describes someone's glory, also refers back to “The Word”.  And there is only one being in existence who was called “the only begotten of the Father”, and that is Jesus.  So it is clear that “his glory” refers to “Jesus' glory”, (since he is the only one who could have the glory of an only begotten from the Father), and therefore refers back to the original subject, which is “The Word who became flesh”.

Are you with me so far, BD?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 27 2011,11:27)

You're leaving a little out of the story, aren't you?  :)   Jesus was the last Adam “according to the flesh”, as is many times pointed out for us in scripture so as to distinguish Jesus' fleshly existence from his pre-existence.  Many scriptures attest to this.

When we think of the word of God as being Jesus I totally would agree to your point………….

Well, let's see if he is the Word of God then:

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one I meant when I said, ‘A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’

John said these words about Jesus, right?  Now compare:  

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us and we have seen his glory, the glory of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John testifies concerning him and cries out, saying, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”

The same words John said about Jesus in verse 30 are said about “him” in verse 15.  If we follow the pronoun “him” back to the original subject of the teaching, it leads us back to “The Word” in verse 14.  

And in verse 14, the pronoun “his”, which describes someone's glory, also refers back to “The Word”.  And there is only one being in existence who was called “the only begotten of the Father”, and that is Jesus.  So it is clear that “his glory” refers to “Jesus' glory”, (since he is the only one who could have the glory of an only begotten from the Father), and therefore refers back to the original subject, which is “The Word who became flesh”.

Are you with me so far, BD?

I'm not, not with you as I do see your point. however, when you say that Jesus was the word before the word became flesh are you then implying that The Word is a Being and if so how was that being begat?

mikeboll64
    Blocked

First of all, it is not me who is saying it, but scripture.  There are more than one meaning of “logos” in scripture.  Sometimes it just refers to a spoken or written word by anyone.  Other times, it refers to the very words spoken by God through angels or prophets.  And still other times, it refers to God's main spokesman, Jesus.

The verses I just showed you are proof of this, especially considering that it was the same author who called Jesus “The Word of God” in Revelation.  Not to mention that John 1 also says John the Baptist came to testify about the light that was coming into the world.  That “light” is also the Word according to John 1:1-9.  And we know from later scriptures that Jesus claimed to be that light.  So “Word”=”Light”=”Jesus”.  This is the ONE about whom John the Baptist came to testify.  There is no other one he is said to have made the roads straight for.

Knowing that Word=Light=Jesus, we also know that “Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made” was said about Jesus – which is no big shocker, since that teaching is repeated 5 other places in scripture.

As far as your point, I really don't know how or exactly when Jesus was begotten by God.  But not knowing the how and when doesn't stop me from believing the scriptures we do know about.  :)

BD, are you able to see that Jesus is “the Word” from John 1?

seekingtruth
    Participant

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 27 2011,05:17)

Mike,

My opinion – Wm

WM

Jesus also does not know who will be sitting at his left or right in the Kingdom:

King James Version (KJV)

23And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.

It does not say He did not know, rather “But it is not for me to say who will sit at my right or my left.”

Mark11-12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.

If Jesus knew all that the Father knew or for that matter if Jesus was even part of the creation of that tree he would have known it was out of season and following the command of Jehovah to stay in or out of season but it is totally that a hungry servant could get upset because he didn't understand.

Was it not unreasonable to curse the tree for being fruitless when, as Mark expressly says, “it was not the season for figs”? The problem is most satisfactorily cleared up in a discussion called “The Barren Fig Tree” published many years ago by W. M. Christie, a Church of Scotland minister in Palestine under the British mandatory regime. He pointed out first the time of year at which the incident is said to have occurred (if, as is probable, Jesus was crucified on April 6th, A.D. 30, the incident occurred during the first days of April). “Now,” wrote Christie, “the facts connected with the fig tree are these. Towards the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with [this], and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grow to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off.” These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found “nothing but leaves” — leaves without any taqsh — he knew that “it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree” and said as much.

Matthew 12:18 King James Version (KJV) 18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Don't forget these scriptures:

Acts 3:13 No, God did it! He is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. He is the God of all our fathers. He gave glory to Jesus, his special servant. But you handed him over to be killed. Pilate decided to let him go free. But you told Pilate you did not want him.

Acts 3:26 God has sent his special servant Jesus. He sent him to you first. He sent him to bless you by causing each of you to turn away from your evil ways.”

Acts 4:27 That’s what actually happened when Herod, Pontius Pilate, the other nations, and the people of Israel all came together against Jesus here in Jerusalem. He is your holy servant, the one you made to be the Messiah.

Acts 4:30 Help us to be brave by showing us your power. Make sick people well. Cause miraculous signs and wonders to happen by the authority of Jesus, your holy servant.”

The word translated as servant in some versions is translated child in others:
    Transliteration: pais
    Phonetic Spelling: (paheece)
    Short Definition: a boy or girl child
    Definition: (a) a male child, boy, (b) a male slave, servant; thus: a servant of God, especially as a title of the Messiah, Â a female child, girl.

In the case of the verse you quoted it is close to the proclamations actually voiced by the Father:

Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Matthew 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

All of what I've stated needs to be balanced with Matthew 23:11 Whoever serves you like a servant is the greatest among you.

My opinion – Wm  
    Wm

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (mikeboll64 @ Nov. 27 2011,13:10)
    First of all, it is not me who is saying it, but scripture.  There are more than one meaning of “logos” in scripture.  Sometimes it just refers to a spoken or written word by anyone.  Other times, it refers to the very words spoken by God through angels or prophets.  And still other times, it refers to God's main spokesman, Jesus.

The verses I just showed you are proof of this, especially considering that it was the same author who called Jesus “The Word of God” in Revelation.  Not to mention that John 1 also says John the Baptist came to testify about the light that was coming into the world.  That “light” is also the Word according to John 1:1-9.  And we know from later scriptures that Jesus claimed to be that light.  So “Word”=”Light”=”Jesus”.  This is the ONE about whom John the Baptist came to testify.  There is no other one he is said to have made the roads straight for.

Knowing that Word=Light=Jesus, we also know that “Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made” was said about Jesus – which is no big shocker, since that teaching is repeated 5 other places in scripture.

As far as your point, I really don't know how or exactly when Jesus was begotten by God.  But not knowing the how and when doesn't stop me from believing the scriptures we do know about.  :)

BD, are you able to see that Jesus is “the Word” from John 1?

Yes, of course Jesus is The Word in John 1 but that is not the issue with me whether Jesus is the Word of God made flesh the question is why are you referring Jesus to John 1:1?

Even when we talk about the light Jesus also says that all of his followers are the light:

King James Bible
    Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Now here's the thing, if you say that Jesus is the word in John 1:1 and John 1:2 then he could not have been begotten unless you are saying he was begat when he became flesh in which case we agree and if not my argument at the least is not unreasonable that Jesus was uniquely created by Jehovah.

When you assert the word begat in what way could Jesus be begat by God who did God become intimate with to need to beget Christ was he begat by God and Mary?

bodhitharta
    Participant

Quote (seekingtruth @ Nov. 27 2011,15:56)

Quote (bodhitharta @ Nov. 27 2011,05:17)

Mike,

My opinion – Wm

WM

King James Version (KJV)

It does not say He did not know, rather “But it is not for me to say who will sit at my right or my left.”

Was it not unreasonable to curse the tree for being fruitless when, as Mark expressly says, “it was not the season for figs”? The problem is most satisfactorily cleared up in a discussion called “The Barren Fig Tree” published many years ago by W. M. Christie, a Church of Scotland minister in Palestine under the British mandatory regime. He pointed out first the time of year at which the incident is said to have occurred (if, as is probable, Jesus was crucified on April 6th, A.D. 30, the incident occurred during the first days of April). “Now,” wrote Christie, “the facts connected with the fig tree are these. Towards the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with [this], and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grow to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off.” These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found “nothing but leaves” — leaves without any taqsh — he knew that “it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree” and said as much.

Matthew 12:18 King James Version (KJV) 18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Don't forget these scriptures:

Acts 3:13 No, God did it! He is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. He is the God of all our fathers. He gave glory to Jesus, his special servant. But you handed him over to be killed. Pilate decided to let him go free. But you told Pilate you did not want him.

Acts 3:26 God has sent his special servant Jesus. He sent him to you first. He sent him to bless you by causing each of you to turn away from your evil ways.”

Acts 4:27 That’s what actually happened when Herod, Pontius Pilate, the other nations, and the people of Israel all came together against Jesus here in Jerusalem. He is your holy servant, the one you made to be the Messiah.

Acts 4:30 Help us to be brave by showing us your power. Make sick people well. Cause miraculous signs and wonders to happen by the authority of Jesus, your holy servant.”

The word translated as servant in some versions is translated child in others:
    Transliteration: pais
    Phonetic Spelling: (paheece)
    Short Definition: a boy or girl child
    Definition: (a) a male child, boy, (b) a male slave, servant; thus: a servant of God, especially as a title of the Messiah, © a female child, girl.

In the case of the verse you quoted it is close to the proclamations actually voiced by the Father:

Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Matthew 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!”

All of what I've stated needs to be balanced with Matthew 23:11 Whoever serves you like a servant is the greatest among you.

My opinion – Wm  
    Wm

So son and servant are both used interchangeably? I agree the scriptures use those words alike

And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Malachi 3:16-18

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 692 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account