Protestantism

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    jhenTux
    Participant

Why there are so many denominations, but all are under one umbrella – Protestantism?

If protestants have only ONE faith, why some denominations have different doctrines from the other?

What is the difference of Protestant Trinity to Catholic Trinity?

many tnx.

charity
    Participant

All that require him to be nailed on the cross FOR THE LIFE SAVING BLOOD, MAY FIND THEMSELVES present TOGETHER CELEBRATING the HISTORIC same ceremony, (SACRIFICE) perhaps even the Jehovah witnesses can BE found there also LOOKING FOR ETERNAL LIFE IN A KILLING?

david
    Participant

perhaps even the Jehovah witnesses can BE found there also LOOKING FOR ETERNAL LIFE IN A KILLING?

Charity, what exactly are you saying here?

Jhentux,

Why there are so many denominations,

2 CORINTHIANS 4:4
    “among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.”

MATTHEW 13:24-30
    “Another illustration he set before them, saying: “The kingdom of the heavens has become like a man that sowed fine seed in his field. While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat, and left. When the blade sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds appeared also. So the slaves of the householder came up and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it come to have weeds?’ He said to them, ‘An enemy, a man, did this.’ They said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?’ He said, ‘No; that by no chance, while collecting the weeds, YOU uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest; and in the harvest season I will tell the reapers, First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up, then go to gathering the wheat into my storehouse.’””

MATTHEW 13:37-40
    “In response he said: “The sower of the fine seed is the Son of man; the field is the world; as for the fine seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; but the weeds are the sons of the wicked one, and the enemy that sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels. Therefore, just as the weeds are collected and burned with fire, so it will be in the conclusion of the system of things.”

Look at these two scriptures. Satan is the god of this very world. So, apparently, he has great power. And he has used that power to blind men's minds to the truth about Jesus, about God and about his kingdom. So, the devil has sowed many 'sons of the wicked one' (false Christians) in the world, as Jesus fortold. This does not mean everything everyone says is wrong. Satan has caused mass confusion. If Satan doesn't want you going through a door, wouldn't the easiest way be to create a thousand different doors, that all sort of resemble the first one?

charity
    Participant

err slurp

I new that would be the only way to get you here david!

:D

david
    Participant

err slurp

I new that would be the only way to get you here david!

————–
    Every morning is the dawn of a new error…
    Windows: has just detected another pane in the glass.
    Press any key to continue or any other key to quit…in peace.
    Yes the cat!

Yes, but on the other hand, you have different fingers.

charity
    Participant

Let no man deceive you with empty words….”–Eph 5:6

To tell ya the truth david….. problem is, dose anyone look sideways at “empty words”, to even get deceived, “empty words”

really Eph 5'6 scripture reads the minds are severely damaged and fragile in thinking?

by parents teaching to much high level faith, needing little to no evidence,
    the boarders are frames for a, fantasy land, “empty words”

yep we are lucky if we have another hand!

Participant

Quote (jhenTux @ Nov. 03 2008,13:14)
    Why there are so many denominations, but all are under one umbrella – Protestantism?

If protestants have only ONE faith, why some denominations have different doctrines from the other?

many tnx.

Hi jhenTux:

They are all under the umbrella of protestanism because they “protest” the doctrines of the Catholic church and the authority of the pope.

However, the various denominations are the result of failure to discuss doctrinal differences with the attitude of possibly being wrong and wanting to be corrected by God if they are, so that the church can come into unity. If the heads of all these various denominations would pray and ask God to correct them if they are teaching His Word in error, there would not be all of these denominations. I believe that pride in many cases keeps people from admitting that they make mistakes and so the division continues.

Jesus prayed the folloiwng prayer and I am joining him in this prayer also:

Jhn 17:18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.
    Jhn 17:19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.
    Jhn 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
    Jhn 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, [art] in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
    Jhn 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

epistemaniac
    Participant

Quote (jhenTux @ Nov. 03 2008,13:14)

many tnx.

Good questions…

First, many so-called christian groups should NOT be under the umbrella “Protestant”. This term originally meant “one who protests”, in particular, one who protested against the teaching sof the Roman Catholic church. These early Protestants, the groups who started right after the Protestant Reformation, were remarkably consistent and unified in their beliefs. Just have a look at the early Christian Confession of faith, compare the Baptists Confession of 1689 with the Westminster Confession of Faith.

We have tried to help the situation by coming up with the term “Evangelical” in order to further signify a group of persons adhering to mostly similiar beliefs, because the term “protestant” did lose its original meaning. Unfortunately persons claiming to be “Evangelicals” are now affirming propositions like “God cannot know the future” which will inevitably lead to a further word eventually being used to describe the group of Christians, which is, btw, itself, a word that has lost much of it's meaning as well, who all adhere to a similar group of central beliefs. RA Torrey's “The Fundamentals” was another attempt to further define and delineate.

Originally the splits that took place had to do with issues of church. government…. for instance presbyterian forms of government versus congregational…. and differences on the understanding of the sacrament, in particular the Lord's Supper, where Zwingli and Luther parted ways…. and differences over baptism….

Over time the word “Protestant” has become a basically useless word, it has come to mean any non-Roman Catholic system of belief, and is now so diluted from it's original meaning from the time right after the Reformation, that it is really not of much use, since many of the churches today would NEVER have been recognized as a valid church at all by the early Reformers/Protestants.

Keeping in mind how diluted this term is… some churches under the term “Protestant” have become Unitarian, as well as extremely Liberal and do not believe the Bible to be inerrant and infallible, let alone believe that there is a Trinity. So for some within Protestantism, the Roman Catholic idea of a Trinity is very different, since they would deny it.

But, don't allow yourself to fall into some kind of erroneous thinking, that just because the Roman Catholic church believes something, and some other churches that might fall under the heading “Protestant” believes it too, that it must be false, just because the Roman Catholic church believes it too. I mean, the Roman Catholic church believes in God, should we reject that belief just because the Roman Catholic Church believes it too? 😉 This is an example of the informal fallacy known as the Genetic Fallacy. We must not dismiss an idea just because of it's source. Just because the Roman Catholic church believes in the Trinity, it DOES NOT FOLLOW that we should therefore abandon it. In fact, we should neither ACCEPT NOR DISMISS ANY idea just because someone or some other institution happens to hold to it as well. Adolph Hitler believed that 2+2=4, he was an evil man, but that does not make this statement false, nor would it make everything he said false. If an idea is false or true it must be assessed on its own terms, and not based on where the idea came from, or who else held the idea to be true. To say that the Trinity is false simply because the Roman Catholic Church believes it would be, further, an argumentum ad hominem of sorts… in particular, an example of poisoning the well…. which would be to say that a discredited (this “discrediting” in this particular seems to  be largely assumed and lies at the back of the OP, that is to say, it seems to me that the persdon writing the OP has a poor opinion of the Roman Catholic church, though this is left unstated, correct me if I am wrong on this) person (or in this case a church) such as the Roman Catholic Church believes “A”, that since Protestants believe “A” too, “A” must be false, simply because the Roman Catholic Church believes it too. This is irrational.

blessings,
    Ken

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi E,
    Do you think the RCC and her offspring have any spiritual relevance at all?

epistemaniac
    Participant

Quote (Nick Hassan @ Nov. 09 2008,16:57)
    Hi E,

you are equivocating and poisoning the well by using the word “offspring”. I trace my history and doctrine back to the Bible itself, however, I follow Scripture and make use of teachers the Holy Spirit has given to the church. My discussion about the Reformation does not mean that am somehow any more linked to the Roman Catholic church than you are. You personally were part of the Roman Catholic church weren't you Nick… seems like I remember reading that somewhere… but… I never was… seems to me, using your reasoning (albeit faulty reasoning, here I am using reductio absurdum to prove a point I hope you get) you are much more of a Roman Catholic offspring than I am. I mean, you believe there is a God, don't you Nick??? … well so does the Roman Catholic church. You must be part of her offspring… aren't you? Rome believes the bible is the word of God, so do you… you must be part of Rome's offspring….. catch my drift? Trust me, you don't want to go there…

blessings,
    Ken

NickHassan
    Participant

Hi E,
    So what role does the RCC and her spawn play in the body of Christ?
    Do they have any place?

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

EP………if you back up the teachings of the RCC such as the Trinity Doctrine which became a Catholic teaching starting at the council of Nacia in 325 A.D. This false teaching is (NOT) the teaching of Christ. And if you hold to that form of teaching being a Protestant then you are a offspring of the Catholic. The teaching of the trinity is a sign of Catholic roots. The teaching of the Trinity plays no role in the body of Christ. imo

david
    Participant

Does anyone else find it odd, that on here, and in real life, Catholics generally don't have any great desire to discuss the Bible?
    I think it's because if a Catholic came on here, they would be attacked from every side and they wouldn't know how to make a defense for what they believe. (1 peter 3:15)
    Of course, there are some that will discuss scripture. But this is the greater minority. (And in my opinion, they don't stick to one subject, and when they don't know what to say, they call on tradition as being equal with Scripture.)

I wonder if any of this is what he meant by “spiritual relevance.”

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account