Preexistence

• This topic has 19,164 replies, 120 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Nick.
Viewing 20 posts - 5,821 through 5,840 (of 19,165 total)
  • Author
    martian
    Participant

Irene,
    You say –
    Tell me Gene does God need a reason to do anything? Not in my book. Did you ever consider maybe He wanted some one like Him, only to go into the world to save mankind.

Reply –
    I agree that God wants someone like Him. That is the purpose of all of creation. Mankind was created to develop and mature into beings in which can have fellowship with Him. Jesus as the second Adam completed that mission and set an example for us to follow. To whatever degree you change Christ from a normal human being to the same degree you lessen his example for us.

God has revealed himself and His nature to us by virtue of his functions. Even His names indicate function not just identity. Read the names below and notice they all are descriptions of God’s function and purpose. When you ask the question does God need a reason for doing what He does. I can only say that He has shown many reason/purposes in his plan. He does this so that we might better understand his nature. Your concept of not knowing why God has a preexistent Christ always ends in a mystery just like the Trinitarians doctrine.
    You don’t know what Christ was before the Earthly birth.
    You do not know what happened to that Christ after the birth.
    You don’t know how much advantage Christ had because of his preexistance.

All of these things muddle and confuse the pure example of Christ as the one we should follow.

1. God (Heb. Elohim): often regarded the plural of majesty for God in the OT, the name signifies speaks of his role as the transcendent Creator of all that exists (Gen. 1:2). One key understanding of the Hebrew language is that a plural noun does not mean literally plural but is used to show an over abundance of the function of the noun in question. The majesty of God is then emphasized.

2. God Most High (Heb. El-Elyon): This name indicates Gods’ superior position above all the other gods of the nations (Gen. 14:18-20).

3. LORD (Heb. YHWH or Yahweh or Jehovah): The “I AM” God of the burning bush episode in Moses’ call to deliver Israel from slavery in Egypt (Exod. 3:14-15). The name signified God would be an inexhaustible resource for accomplishing all that he had charged Moses to do. The name is also associated with God’s covenant with Israel and speaks to the personal and relational nature of his character.

4. Lord (Heb. Adonai): Revealed God as owner and master of all his creation (Josh. 3:11).

5. God Almighty (Heb. El-Shaddai): The name recalls God’s power in creating and sustaining all life (Gen. 17:1). The name literally means “God of the mountains” and later it became associated with the awesome display of divine might at Mt. Sinai (Exod. 19).

6. God Everlasting (Heb. El-Olam): This name emphasizes God’s immensity and eternality (Gen. 21:33).

7. God, the One Who Sees (Heb. El-Roeh): The name reveals God’s beneficent omniscience, a God who sees the needs of his people and cares enough to respond with help and deliverance (Gen. 16:13).

8. God of the Covenant (Heb. El-Berith): A reminder of God’s immanence as a covenant maker with humanity, his faithfulness as a covenant keeper, and the security found in relationship with God (Judg. 9:46).

9. God, the God of Israel (Heb. El-Elohe-Israel): The names attests God’s sovereignty and providential watch and care over Israel as his elect people (Gen. 33:19-20).

10. The LORD our Provision (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Yireh or Jehovah Jireh): A name that witnesses God’s ability to sustain the faithful in trial and testing (Gen. 22:13-14).

11. The LORD Heals (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Rapha): A name revealing God’s potent curative powers to overcome sin and disease in the fallen creation (Exod. 15:26).

12. The LORD our Banner (Heb. YWWH/Yahweh-Nissi): A reminder that God himself goes before his people in battle and in all of life (Exod. 17:15).

13. The LORD is Peace (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Shalom): The righteous may rest secure in God (Judg. 6:24).

14. The LORD our Shepherd (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Ra’ah): The most poignant of all the divine names—God tends to his people like a shepherd for his sheep (Ps. 23:1).

15. The LORD our Righteousness (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Tsidkenu): The name exalts the perfection and impeccable character of God (Jer. 23:6).

16. The LORD is Present (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Shammah): The name affirms the omnipresence of God as the personal Creator and Redeemer of the world and all people (Ezek. 48:35).

17.The LORD of Hosts (Heb. YHWH/Yahweh-Sabaoth): The name designates God as the creator and leader of the angel armies of heaven (1 Sam. 17:45).

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (kerwin @ Dec. 06 2009,08:52)
    thethinker wrote:

But the prophets were not sent into the world FROM HEAVEN.

I do not believe you stated that.  I assure you the one who sent the true prophets is in heaven.  In other words since they were sent from God they were sent from heaven.

Kerwin,
    The prophets did not come down from heaven. Come on! Paul was a prophet. Show where he likened his apostleship and his calling to being sent from heaven.

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Dec. 07 2009,05:24)
    Trinitarians make Yeshua HaMoshiach into a “Golden Calf”.

:cool:

Explain 2 Peter 3:18:

(Young's Literal Translation)
    “…and increase ye in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; to him [is] the glory both now, and to the day of the age! Amen.”

Are you prepared to charge Peter with making a golden calf out of Jesus? By your logic this is what Peter did by attributing the glory to Jesus Christ. Then he said, “Amen.” Come on Con. Say “amen” with Peter.

Peter is an idolater also for saying that Jesus Christ is the Savior. Either Peter is an idolater or you are disobedient. You know what I think.

thinker

Quote (martian @ Dec. 06 2009,12:37)
    Frankly I am a little sick of those that accuse me of ignoring clear scripture and accuse me of being unsaved because I do not follow their particular interpretation of scripture.

This is laughable! Why? Because it is you and every other ‘Arian” and “Unitarian” here that is ignoring clear scriptures and the Greek structure of their text.

Since you and others by your statements and doctrines claim to know more than the Greek and Hebrew Scholars, those who translated the English versions for us, then please humor us and explain why they are not correct.

Tell us why didn’t the Translators translate a scripture like “I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will…“, to say something like…“the Fathers plan has come down from heaven, to do the Fathers will”. The translators could have done that if the Greek text would have allowed for it.

But it is not translated that way because that is not what Jesus said nor is it what he meant. But it is pure inference by you and others that change Jesus clear meaning!

So Martian since you are so right then why don’t you break it down for us and explain why we should change the meaning of the Greek text which proves the Preexistence of Jesus?

Come on mister, show us how the experts are wrong and address the following post which is proof that the text cannot be read the way the Unitarians read it.

See if you can do this rather than just plaster the pages with a bunch of apologetics as a means of diversion!  

John 6:38-40
    For “I have come down (katabainō) from heaven, not to do my own will“, but the will of him who sent me; and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

It is obvious what Jesus meant, but men who know nothing of the construction of the Greek have set out to make themselves greater than the truth by misinterpreting the clear meaning of the text in which the authors intended and which the translators translated.

The Greek construction of the text concerning the preexistence of Jesus does not allow for a “Unitarian” interpretation.

The Greek for “I have come” is Strong's G2597 – katabainō which is defined…

1) to go down, come down, descend
    a) the place from which one has come down from
    b) to come down

In every place the word is used it is referring to a literal action by a person and not an abstract “thought or plan”“.

katabainō  is in the “perfect” tense, and the “active voice” and the “indicative” mood!

The perfect tense” in Greek corresponds to the perfect tense in English, and describes “an action” which is viewed as having been completed in the past, once and for all, not needing to be repeated.

Jesus' last cry from the cross, TETELESTAI (“It is finished!”) is a good example of the perfect tense used in this sense, namely “It [the atonement] has been accomplished, completely, once and for all time.”

Certain antiquated verb forms in Greek, such as those related to seeing (eidw) or knowing (oida) will use the perfect tense in a manner equivalent to the normal past tense. These few cases are exception to the normal rule and do not alter the normal connotation of the perfect tense stated above.

The active voice” represents the subject as the doer or performer of the action. e.g., in the sentence, “The boy hit the ball,” the boy performs the action.

The indicative mood” is a simple statement of fact. If an action really occurs or has occurred or will occur, it will be rendered in the indicative mood.

For I came down (katabainō) from heaven”, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. John 6:38

The same word is used here…

And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God “descending (katabainō,)” like a dove, and lighting upon him: Matt 3:16

And here…

And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord “(descended (katabainō )” from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2

Was the Holy Spirit and the Angel a “thought or plan” come down from heaven? Or did they really descend from  heaven?

Jesus said plainly that he came “From God” and “went to God”.

Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that “he was come from God, and went to God“; John 13:3

Again the Greek word come is in the “active voice” meaning Jesus did the action, and it is the indicative mood which means “the action really occurred”.

When Jesus ascended to heaven., it was Jesus that did the ascending! The scriptures do not tell us the Father took him to heaven!

Jesus words were clear, for he never said or even in the slightest way implied that he was or came from a plan or thought of the Father!

Jesus puts the nail in the coffin for those who questioned what he was saying by the following words…

What and if ye shall see the Son of man “ascend up where he was before”? John 6:62

Again the word “Ascend” is in the present tense and active voice which means that Jesus is doing the action.

Jesus is going to “WHERE HE WAS BEFORE”!

Was he returning to a “plan or thought” or was he returning to the Father in heaven from where he came from and to the Glory that he had with the Father before the foundation of the world.

John 17:5
    And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with “the glory which I had with thee before the world was“.

The Greek word for “I had” is Strong's G2192 – echō which is defined as…

1) to have, i.e. to hold

a) to have (hold) in the hand, in the sense of wearing, to have (hold) possession of the mind (refers to alarm, agitating emotions, etc.), to hold fast keep, to have or comprise or involve, to regard or consider or hold as 2) to have i.e. own, possess

Again “I had” is in the “imperfect tense”, the “active voice”, and the “indicative mood”, so there is no way Jesus was saying “I shared his glory because I was in his thought and plan”!

To deny the preexistence of Jesus is to deny the simple truths of the scriptures that tell us that Jesus was with the Father in the beginning of all of creation!

The Jews mumured among themselves because Jesus said he was the Bread of Life that came down from heaven and many turned back because it was a hard pill they could not swallow!

John 6:61, 62
    When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man “ascend up where he was before“?

WJ

Quote (thethinker @ Dec. 07 2009,11:07)

Quote (Constitutionalist @ Dec. 07 2009,05:24)
    Trinitarians make Yeshua HaMoshiach into a “Golden Calf”.

:cool:

Explain 2 Peter 3:18:

(Young's Literal Translation)
    “…and increase ye in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ; to him [is] the glory both now, and to the day of the age! Amen.”

Are you prepared to charge Peter with making a golden calf out of Jesus? By your logic this is what Peter did by attributing the glory to Jesus Christ. Then he said, “Amen.” Come on Con. Say “amen” with Peter.

Peter is an idolater also for saying that Jesus Christ is the Savior. Either Peter is an idolater or you are disobedient. You know what I think.

thinker

Jack

True.

He accuses us of giving to much honor and glory to Jesus, yet Jesus said we are to give him the same honor as we do the Father.

They accuse us of seeing Jesus as an idol, yet it seems that they see him as a worm.

WJ

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

WJ…………Why go to the Greeks to learn, why not let the Spirit of GOD TEACH YOU the TRUTH> “Brethern you have (NO) need of a teacher , for the Spirit (ITSELF) shall teach you all things”. The Spirit (intellect) to recognize truth is the guiding light. Surely not the Greeks and your 200 scholars who run you around a thousand rabbit trails and causing you to ever learn but never coming into the true Knowledge of GOD. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………..gene

Quote (Gene @ Dec. 07 2009,12:07)
    WJ…………Why go to the Greeks to learn, why not let the Spirit of GOD TEACH YOU the TRUTH> “Brethern you have (NO) need of a teacher , for the Spirit (ITSELF) shall teach you all things”. The Spirit (intellect) to recognize truth is the guiding light.  Surely not the Greeks and your 200 scholars who run you around a thousand rabbit trails and causing you to ever learn but never coming into the true Knowledge of GOD. IMO

Gene

But you assume that the Scholars did not have the Spirit!

You also assume that the Holy Spirit will contradict the Greek text!

You take an English Tranlsation and infer your own meaning to them, and in so doing you make the word of God of none effect!

WJ

banana
    Participant

Quote (martian @ Dec. 07 2009,04:44)
    SORRY TYPO ERROR
    SOME do not want Jesus to be a normal human because it sets the standard for perfected humanity very high.

Did you even read Philippians 2:5-8
    Why O why that is all I can say to you again and again Scriptures get put in front of you and you still insist otherwise. I am sitting here and shaking my head. In a way I understand you, cause I was like you long ago, but I don't think I argued with the person that told us about Jesus preexisting. Then long ago we went to the Catholic Church too. We never read the Bible then, either. Jesus emptied Himself and became obedient to the point of death on the cross. Was Jesus an ordinary man, No. If He would have been He would have sinned just like an ordinary man. All have fallen short of the glory of God. Have you ever seen a 12 year old boy go into any Church or Temple and preach? No. He knew where He came from. How else could He have said what He did in John 17:5.
    Irene
    Irene

Anonymous
    Inactive

How sad for you! Being sooooo blind. when scriptures show you who our Lord God is. He even tells us; why do you say show us the Father? When you see me you see the Father. And blessed are those who dont see and still believe. Scripture tell us he is KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS, and the Almighty! Also tells us he is our only SAVIOR, He is our LORD, He is the CREATOR! he will judge us, He is who we will spend eternity with. You all say trinitarians believe in three Gods and that is not so There is one Lord God who came in the flesh,(its in scripture) and ascended back to heaven and sends us the Holy Spirit! ONe GOD, yet you are trying to worship GOD, and obey Jesus's words, to gain the holy Spirit when they are ONE! except you set Jesus much lower. You need to read threw all the new testament again and see who Jesus really is and how much you truly need him. ITS ALL ABOUT JESUS!! And all that God is in the Old Testament is the same of Jesus in the new. WHAT A AWESOME GOD!

KangarooJack
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Dec. 08 2009,04:07)
    WJ…………Why go to the Greeks to learn, why not let the Spirit of GOD TEACH YOU the TRUTH> “Brethern you have (NO) need of a teacher , for the Spirit (ITSELF) shall teach you all things”. The Spirit (intellect) to recognize truth is the guiding light.  Surely not the Greeks and your 200 scholars who run you around a thousand rabbit trails and causing you to ever learn but never coming into the true Knowledge of GOD. IMO

Uh Gene,
    It is your man Martian who goes to the Greeks to learn. Martian believes that the Logos means “speech.” This was the view of Plato a Greek philosopher. Plato taught that the Logos of John 1:1 was “verbal expression or thought.” So it is you and Martian who “go to the Greeks to learn.”

Plato 's views were based in a mixture of mystery religions. Yet you guys acccuse trinitarians of believing in a mystery religion.

Take the log out of your own eye Gene!

thinker

KangarooJack
    Participant

WorshippingJesus said to Martian:

And here…

And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord “(descended (katabainō )” from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. Matt 28:2

Was the Holy Spirit and the Angel a “thought or plan” come down from heaven? Or did they really descend from  heaven?

Ladies and Gentleman….

May I please have your attention….

The winner and still the undisputed champion by a knock out is….

WORSHIPPINGJESUS!!  

——————–

martian
    Participant

Quote (thethinker @ Dec. 08 2009,05:00)

Quote (Gene @ Dec. 08 2009,04:07)

Uh Gene,
    It is your man Martian who goes to the Greeks to learn. Martian believes that the Logos means “speech.” This was the view of Plato a Greek philosopher. Plato taught that the Logos of John 1:1 was “verbal expression or thought.” So it is you and Martian who “go to the Greeks to learn.”

Plato 's views were based in a mixture of mystery religions. Yet you guys acccuse trinitarians of believing in a mystery religion.

Take the log out of your own eye Gene!

thinker

Yep I went to the greek language as explained in Bible dictionaries. just like WJ does.

martian
    Participant

I previously posted this definition. Which shows that the words heaven and God are often used interchangeably in the NT.
    Word of the Month – שמים Heaven
    By: Jeff A. Benner

The Hebrew word for “heaven” is שמים shamayim. There is some debate over the origins and meanings of this word but, there are a few common theories.

1. Derived from the unused root שמה shamah possibly meaning lofty. The plural form of this word would be שמים shamayim. 
2. Derived from the root שמם shamam meaning Desolate, in the sense of a dry wind blowing over the land drying it out. The plural form of this word would also be shamayim.
3. The word shamayim may be the Hebrew word מים mayim, meaning water, and the prefix ש sh meaning like. Combined, the word שמים shamayim would mean “like water.”

Aside from the debate over the origins of the word it is clear that the word is commonly used in the Biblical text for “sky.” It is frequently used in conjuction with the word ארץ erets, meaning land (see Gen 1:1, 2:1 and 14:19), representing the whole of creation and the domain of God. 

In the New Testament this word was used as a Euphamism (one word used in place of another) for God. This can be seen in some of the parables where the book of Luke (written for Gentiles) uses the phrase “Kingdom of God” whereas Matthew (written to Jews) uses “Kingdom of Heaven.” In this context, heaven is meant to represent God, not a place.

Whether the scripture is written in Greek or Hebrew the authors are all Hebrew and thought with a Hebrew mindset. They did not perceive “heaven” as some transcendental place separate from the natural realm. Jesus said the Kingdom of God/heaven is here – not over there or up there.

I have already posted the reality of figurative and literal language used in your context.
    Here is an article that illustrates that truth.

“The bread of God is he which comes down from heaven, and gives life unto the world…I came down from heaven” (Jn. 6:33,38).
    These words, and others like them, are misused to support the wrong idea that Jesus existed in Heaven before his birth. The following points, however, must be noted.
    1. Trinitarians take these words as literal in order to prove their point. However, if we are to take them literally, then this means that somehow Jesus literally came down as a person. Not only is the Bible totally silent about this, but the language of Jesus being conceived as a baby in Mary’s womb is made meaningless. Jn.6:60 describes the teaching about the manna as a saying “hard to take in” (Moffatt’s Translation); i.e. we need to understand that it is figurative language being used.
2. In Jn. 6, Jesus is explaining how the manna was a type of himself. The manna was sent from God in the sense that it was God who was responsible for creating it on the earth; it did not physically float down from the throne of God in Heaven. Thus Christ’s coming from Heaven is to be understood likewise; he was created on earth, by the Holy Spirit acting upon the womb of Mary (Lk.1:35).
3. Jesus says that “the bread that I will give is my flesh” (Jn.6:51). Trinitarians claim that it was the ‘God’ part of Jesus which came down from Heaven. But Jesus says that it was his “flesh” which was the bread which came down from Heaven. Likewise Jesus associates the bread from Heaven with himself as the “Son of man” (Jn. 6:62), not ‘God the Son’.
4. In this same passage in Jn. 6 there is abundant evidence that Jesus was not equal to God. “The living Father has sent me” (Jn. 6:57) shows that Jesus and God do not share co-equality; and the fact that “I live by the Father” (Jn. 6:57) is hardly the ‘co-eternity’ of which Trinitarians speak.
5. It must be asked, When and how did Jesus ‘come down’ from Heaven? Trinitarians use these verses in Jn. 6 to ‘prove’ that Jesus came down from Heaven at his birth. But Jesus speaks of himself as “he which cometh down from heaven” (v.33,50), as if it is an ongoing process. Speaking of God’s gift of Jesus, Christ said “My Father is giving you the bread” from Heaven (v.32 Weymouth). At the time Jesus was speaking these words, he had already ‘come down’ in a certain sense, in that he had been sent by God. Because of this, he could also speak in the past tense: “I am the living bread which came down from Heaven” (v.51). But he also speaks about ‘coming down’ as the bread from Heaven in the form of his death on the cross: “The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world” (v.51). So we have Jesus speaking here of having already come down from Heaven, being in the process of ‘coming down’, and still having to ‘come down’ in his death on the cross. This fact alone should prove that ‘coming down’ refers to God manifesting Himself, rather than only referring to Christ’s birth. This is conclusively proved by all the Old Testament references to God ‘coming down’ having just this same meaning. Thus God saw the affliction of His people in Egypt, and ‘came down’ to save them through Moses. He has seen our bondage to sin, and has ‘come down’ or manifested Himself, by sending Jesus as the equivalent to Moses to lead us out of bondage.

martian
    Participant

WJ and thethinker,
    A question if you will.
    Do you believe that Heaven (the heaven that Christ “came down from”) is a literal separate place then our realm?

martian
    Participant

I need to say something aside from doctrine.
    I have seen something creeping up in the posts to me AND FROM ME. An antagonism and confrontational attitude that does not speak well of being in Christ example. Smart-alik comments and saying people are not saved because of their doctrine is a sad condition for us to find ourselves in.
    I know that there may be some that believe they are expressing “righteous anger” as Christ did when he over turned the money lenders, but that action by Christ was certainly not the norm on how he handled people.
    I remember somewhere that we are to speak the truth in love, but I do not see that in some of the posts on here.
    It is God’s right to decide who is saved and who is not and none of our abilities are so finely tuned that we can ascertain from a forum who is in that group.
    It was posted some time back that I left in a “tantrum”. The truth is I found the way in which we were all using the forum as an unhealthy thing. I found myself being adversarial in other aspects of my life and losing sleep upset over some of the things that were said.
    I do not wish to be an adversarial person. The members of my church used to call me passion fruit because the music I wrote carried a passion for the love of Jesus and his relationship with his bride. I look in the mirror after a period of time in this adversarial atmosphere and wonder if that person is still here.
    I said all of that to say this. I may disagree with your doctrines, but I have had no right to make it personal against you. For that I repent and ask the boards forgiveness.
    I returned to this forum because I found a few that I could actually agree with. I really wish there was a forum for all involved in which we could express ourselves with ONLY those that agree with us. Unfortunately I have found myself and others seeming to want the confrontation. We seem to thrive (at least for a while) on the adversarial atmosphere. We seem so intent on pushing our own doctrine on others that we lose the attitude of Christ. I cannot speak for anyone else but for me that is not acceptable.
    There are probably those that live in an illusion that this may not apply to them. If history proves anything it is that those are probably the ones that should be the most careful about it.

I may choose to leave again. Some will say it is because I cannot prove my doctrine. If that spells victory for you it is a small thing. If I do leave it will be because I do not wish to drink of the anger and antagonism any more.

Enough said. Take it as you will

Quote (martian @ Dec. 07 2009,14:09)
    I previously posted this definition. Which shows that the words heaven and God are often used interchangeably in the NT.

Martian

Yes, of course “Benner” the lonely supposed Greek and Hebrew scholar with his “Mechanical” translation which is based on taking single words in the Hebrew and translating them the same regardless of context or the fact that Hebrew and Greek words like any other language may have different meanings.

I have asked this of Gene without any success. Do you have any more information on this guy?

Thats OK, I just found some.

He has a  “Honorary Doctor of Ministry degree in Hebrew Language Studies, Georgetown Wesleyan University of the Americas (2008)”.  Thats It? ???

Gene has been saying this guy was a Greek and Hebrew scholar for years here and now I see he just got an “Honorary” degree for Hebrew studies last year.

Which is Ironic since the Wesleyans are Trinitarians.

Do you have anymore information to support his claims seeing that his Degree is an “Honorary” degree in Hebrew studies and not the Greek and simply means he didn't attend College for his degree?

And as I thought you did not address the post or the Greek language, tenses, voice, or mood Etc, which of course Brenner ignores apparantly!

WJ

Quote (martian @ Dec. 07 2009,14:09)

The Hebrew word for “heaven” is שמים shamayim. There is some debate over the origins and meanings of this word but, there are a few common theories.

1. Derived from the unused root שמה shamah possibly meaning lofty. The plural form of this word would be שמים shamayim. 
2. Derived from the root שמם shamam meaning Desolate, in the sense of a dry wind blowing over the land drying it out. The plural form of this word would also be shamayim.
3. The word shamayim may be the Hebrew word מים mayim, meaning water, and the prefix ש sh meaning like. Combined, the word שמים shamayim would mean “like water.”

Aside from the debate over the origins of the word it is clear that the word is commonly used in the Biblical text for “sky.” It is frequently used in conjuction with the word ארץ erets, meaning land (see Gen 1:1, 2:1 and 14:19), representing the whole of creation and the domain of God. 

In the New Testament this word was used as a Euphamism (one word used in place of another) for God. This can be seen in some of the parables where the book of Luke (written for Gentiles) uses the phrase “Kingdom of God” whereas Matthew (written to Jews) uses “Kingdom of Heaven.” In this context, heaven is meant to represent God, not a place.

Whether the scripture is written in Greek or Hebrew the authors are all Hebrew and thought with a Hebrew mindset. They did not perceive “heaven” as some transcendental place separate from the natural realm. Jesus said the Kingdom of God/heaven is here – not over there or up there.

I have already posted the reality of figurative and literal language used in your context.
    Here is an article that illustrates that truth.

“The bread of God is he which comes down from heaven, and gives life unto the world…I came down from heaven” (Jn. 6:33,38).
    These words, and others like them, are misused to support the wrong idea that Jesus existed in Heaven before his birth. The following points, however, must be noted.
    1. Trinitarians take these words as literal in order to prove their point. However, if we are to take them literally, then this means that somehow Jesus literally came down as a person. Not only is the Bible totally silent about this, but the language of Jesus being conceived as a baby in Mary’s womb is made meaningless. Jn.6:60 describes the teaching about the manna as a saying “hard to take in” (Moffatt’s Translation); i.e. we need to understand that it is figurative language being used.
2. In Jn. 6, Jesus is explaining how the manna was a type of himself. The manna was sent from God in the sense that it was God who was responsible for creating it on the earth; it did not physically float down from the throne of God in Heaven. Thus Christ’s coming from Heaven is to be understood likewise; he was created on earth, by the Holy Spirit acting upon the womb of Mary (Lk.1:35).
3. Jesus says that “the bread that I will give is my flesh” (Jn.6:51). Trinitarians claim that it was the ‘God’ part of Jesus which came down from Heaven. But Jesus says that it was his “flesh” which was the bread which came down from Heaven. Likewise Jesus associates the bread from Heaven with himself as the “Son of man” (Jn. 6:62), not ‘God the Son’.
4. In this same passage in Jn. 6 there is abundant evidence that Jesus was not equal to God. “The living Father has sent me” (Jn. 6:57) shows that Jesus and God do not share co-equality; and the fact that “I live by the Father” (Jn. 6:57) is hardly the ‘co-eternity’ of which Trinitarians speak.
5. It must be asked, When and how did Jesus ‘come down’ from Heaven? Trinitarians use these verses in Jn. 6 to ‘prove’ that Jesus came down from Heaven at his birth. But Jesus speaks of himself as “he which cometh down from heaven” (v.33,50), as if it is an ongoing process. Speaking of God’s gift of Jesus, Christ said “My Father is giving you the bread” from Heaven (v.32 Weymouth). At the time Jesus was speaking these words, he had already ‘come down’ in a certain sense, in that he had been sent by God. Because of this, he could also speak in the past tense: “I am the living bread which came down from Heaven” (v.51). But he also speaks about ‘coming down’ as the bread from Heaven in the form of his death on the cross: “The bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world” (v.51). So we have Jesus speaking here of having already come down from Heaven, being in the process of ‘coming down’, and still having to ‘come down’ in his death on the cross. This fact alone should prove that ‘coming down’ refers to God manifesting Himself, rather than only referring to Christ’s birth. This is conclusively proved by all the Old Testament references to God ‘coming down’ having just this same meaning. Thus God saw the affliction of His people in Egypt, and ‘came down’ to save them through Moses. He has seen our bondage to sin, and has ‘come down’ or manifested Himself, by sending Jesus as the equivalent to Moses to lead us out of bondage.

Martian

If Jesus was not litterally meaning that he came down from heaven then why did he say this…?

Jesus puts the nail in the coffin for those who questioned what he was saying by the following words…

What and if ye shall see the Son of man “ascend up where he was before”? John 6:62

Again the word “Ascend” is in the present tense and active voice which means that Jesus is doing the action.

Jesus is going to “WHERE HE WAS BEFORE”!

Was he returning to a “plan or thought” or was he returning to the Father in heaven from where he came from and to the Glory that he had with the Father before the foundation of the world.

And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with “the glory which I had with thee before the world was“.

The Greek word for “I had” is Strong's G2192 – echō which is defined as…

1) to have, i.e. to hold

a) to have (hold) in the hand, in the sense of wearing, to have (hold) possession of the mind (refers to alarm, agitating emotions, etc.), to hold fast keep, to have or comprise or involve, to regard or consider or hold as 2) to have i.e. own, possess

Again “I had” is in the “imperfect tense”, the “active voice”, and the “indicative mood”, so there is no way Jesus was saying “I shared his glory because I was in his thought and plan”!

To deny the preexistence of Jesus is to deny the simple truths of the scriptures that tell us that Jesus was with the Father in the beginning of all of creation!

The Jews mumured among themselves because Jesus said he was the Bread of Life that came down from heaven and many turned back because it was a hard pill they could not swallow!

John 6:61, 62
    When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man “ascend up where he was before“?

Please address these points and stop with the diversions.

WJ

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

WJ………..Is Greek and Hebrew Scholarship replaced the Spirit of the LIVING GOD NOW. Does it not say “Brethren you have (NO NEED) of a teacher for the Spirit (ITSELF) will teach you (ALL THINGS)”. Tell us what degrees of Greek and Hebrew did the apostles have or Jesus for that matter. Is your religion based on you 200 scholars , then who in you flock is qualified are you. Scholars my friend have been proven wrong many, many, many times because of the Biases in their teachings. Jesus said to me and all, “know you Not you shall (ALL) be taught (BY) GOD. I just stay with that, lest i put my trust in man and wind up stumbling. The Greatest Teacher is the (REVELATION) of GOD in the minds and Heart of HIs Childern, NO SCHOLAR GREEK OR HEBREW, can compare to that. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………….gene

banana
    Participant

Quote (Gene @ Dec. 08 2009,11:25)
    WJ………..Is Greek and Hebrew Scholarship replaced the Spirit of the LIVING GOD NOW. Does it not say “Brethren you have (NO NEED) of a teacher for the Spirit (ITSELF) will teach you (ALL THINGS)”. Tell us what degrees of Greek and Hebrew did the apostles have or Jesus for that matter. Is your religion based on you 200 scholars , then who in you flock is qualified are you. Scholars my friend have been proven wrong many, many, many times because of the Biases in their teachings. Jesus said to me and all, “know you Not you shall (ALL) be taught (BY) GOD. I just stay with that, lest i put my trust in man and wind up stumbling. The Greatest Teacher is the (REVELATION) of GOD in the minds and Heart of HIs Childern, NO SCHOLAR GREEK OR HEBREW, can compare to that. IMO

peace and love to you and yours……………….gene

Scripture is Scriptures the word of God, the Bible. Whether a learned Scholar or any of us, if the Holy Spirit is leading us, that would be truth. So what are the Scriptures that W.J. and I have given to prove the preexisting of Jesus? Look above in W.J. Post and then these
    Col. 1:15-17
    Rev. 3:14
    John1:1
    Proverbs 8:22-30
    And by Jesus own word in
    If these Scriptures would not be in the Bible I would say that you have a case. But they are and therefore you are wrong.
    And truthfully I can't believe that you are still saying no, He did not exist. And tell me Gene what in your opinion are these Scriptures talking about? What does it mean when it says firstborn of all creation?
    And what glory was it that He had with the Father before the world was? All in the plan of God? Or intellect? No my friend.
    Irene

GeneBalthrop
    Participant

Irene………..I have ask you to produce (ONE) Scripture that says Jesus (PREEXISTED HIS BERTH ) NOT A SCRIPTURE YOU CAN MAKE IT SAY THAT, why did not Peter say Jesus (PREEXISTED) when he committed on HIM, surely he would have known. I ask for any reason GOD would take a preexistence Being of some kind and Kill him and rebirth him in Mary and have Him die again, you have never produced any answer to these questions the reason is you can't and no one else can either, Why did GOD say when He was Baptized (THIS DAY I HAVE BEGOTTEN YOU), seeing as you think he preexisted his berth, to many scriptures disagree with the doctrine of preexistence not to mention is Just does not make any since for GOD to do it that way,it would have no purpose. What would it prove to anyone. You have never answered any of these questions, because fact is you just can't and no one else seem to be able to either.

peace and love to you and Georg……………………gene

Viewing 20 posts - 5,821 through 5,840 (of 19,165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 1999 - 2024 Heaven Net

Navigation

© 1999 - 2023 - Heaven Net
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account